• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adam Boyes Confirms: Call of Duty: Ghosts is Native 1080p on PS4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skeff

why? has any developer done this before on consoles, trying to patch resolution of a game after its gone gold? afaik its being upscaled on X1 anyways, so why use the time/money/resources for this?

Because even though Microsoft say it isn't a big deal, the difference between 720 and 1080 for a game is very important.

When I played Ghosts at Eurogamer, it was on Xbox One and was definitely 1080p. The clarity was superb.

No. Sorry Buddy.

They have indeed. ZoE2 and Super Stardust on PS3 both did.

interesting. welp, shouldn't be too hard to get it to 1080 on x1 right? i'm assuming they just need to wait for MS to update tools or find better ways to use the architecture.

Because even though Microsoft say it isn't a big deal, the difference between 720 and 1080 for a game is very important.

yeah but this is an activision mandate, not MS, no?

Oh, well, drama averted.

Wrap it up gents.

I realise it could have been the PC version with an Xbox One controller, but it was the sharpest looking game I saw, image quality wise. Having played Black Ops 2 only a couple hours earlier, the difference was night and day.

Skeff

I realise it could have been the PC version with an Xbox One controller, but it was the sharpest looking game I saw, image quality wise. Having played Black Ops 2 only a couple hours earlier, the difference was night and day.

I'll give you a clue, the XB1 version hasn't been shown.

Skeff

interesting. welp, shouldn't be too hard to get it to 1080 on x1 right? i'm assuming they just need to wait for MS to update tools or find better ways to use the architecture.

yeah but this is an activision mandate, not MS, no?

Likely yes, but clearly Activision find it important.

SRTtoZ

I know these topics get feisty at times but I hope this doesn't get locked. I like the awareness that they raise.

why? has any developer done this before on consoles, trying to patch resolution of a game after its gone gold? afaik its being upscaled on X1 anyways, so why use the time/money/resources for this?

i think Burnout on PS3 got a resolution rise to 1080i after release via patch

Radec

Getting tired of people saying this - presumably they'd be happier if the frame rate was cut in two so that it can move like shit /and/ play like shit, but look great in stills.

I've looked at the videos and it looks fine to me, anyone who expects a huge jump this generation is pretty confused, but the pressure for there to be one is just going to leave us with yet more 30fps. The days of DOA2 appearing in the PS2 launch and hitting the ball out of the park are gone.

News flash to you, BF4 and KZ:SF are miles away better looking than Ghosts (PS4).

All are running 60fps and 1080p.

What's CoD:Ghosts excuse ?

also, obligatory:

beg.gif

Skeff

"a lot of the time" apparently, after dialling the graphics back a bit. I'm not aware of any high res videos showing the two in multiplayer side by side.

You should probably know that CoD/BF also only run at 60fps "a lot of the time" Also the graphics are not dialled back, there are simply less set pieces and smaller maps as single player is not a corridor campaign like others.

Huddy

Tools will get better which in turn will provide small gains as we along, but Microsoft's hardware and design decisions are what has led to this, and it's not a case of the architecture is difficult to program for, it's purely down to the brute force of the console. Devs will have to make more compromises to obtain 1080p and will often take the decision to lower the resolution to maintain as much graphic parity to the PS4.

StuBurns

Banned
"a lot of the time" apparently, after dialling the graphics back a bit. I'm not aware of any high res videos showing the two in multiplayer side by side.
A lot of the time is also true of CoD, I don't know what 'dialing' back you're referring to, I've played it, it looks massively better than CoD.

Sporran

How would he know. Clearly he is only aware of what resolutions first party games are running at on the system.

Considering his job, easy. Call Bobby, hey Bobby i'm getting a little shit on GAF. What res is Ghosts, Bobby says ah sure Albie its 1080p 60fps.

Problem over. post on gaf everyone happy. The console war continues.

But Bobby says 720p 60fps.

Albie goes on twitter "I've seen COD: Ghosts running on Xbox One. It looks f'n amazing. Wait for real footage, then judge for yourself."

ltdr: its an easy answer to find if they wanted too, regardless of the answer.

G_Berry

Banned
News flash to you, BF4 and KZ:SF are miles away better looking than Ghosts (PS4).

All are running 60fps and 1080p.

What's CoD:Ghosts excuse ?

also, obligatory:

beg.gif
That exact animation happens in the killzone multiplayer video in that other thread.

Guy dies leaving train carriage, glitches.

Now what?

Apparently it's an issue with how the ESRAM is set up, and it really not being big enough to easily do 1080p

system11

I guarantee you I can find some similarly hilarious error in any game you care to mention.

I'm reserving judgement on BF4 until I *actually see it* running at a solid 60. I'm not sure I believe they will achieve it, while I know CoD will definitely be a solid 60, it always is. It's their absolute determination to retain 60fps regardless of other factors which made me a fan of the series.

Aside from that lets pretend for a moment that KZ and BF4 do end up being locked at 60 (for all practical purposes) - even if they look better, which they may well do, that doesn't automatically mean something else looks 'shit'.

I'm pretty much writing it off as the standard anti-CoD rhetoric at the moment, because what I see in the screenshots makes Ghosts look nice and easy to look at, easy to see what's in the distance and so on, and really that's what matters.

I'm intending to buy KZ and borrow BF4 from a friend, maybe my opinion will change then.

Skeff

I guarantee you I can find some similarly hilarious error in any game you care to mention.

I'm reserving judgement on BF4 until I *actually see it* running at a solid 60. I'm not sure I believe they will achieve it, while I know CoD will definitely be a solid 60, it always is. It's their absolute determination to retain 60fps regardless of other factors which made me a fan of the series.

Aside from that lets pretend for a moment that KZ and BF4 do end up being locked at 60 (for all practical purposes) - even if they look better, which they may well do, that doesn't automatically mean something else looks 'shit'.

I'm pretty much writing it off as the standard anti-CoD rhetoric at the moment, because what I see in the screenshots makes Ghosts look nice and easy to look at, easy to see what's in the distance and so on, and really that's what matters.

I'm intending to buy KZ and borrow BF4 from a friend, maybe my opinion will change then.

It never is....Blops 2 dipped to the 30's on PS3 and 40's on XB1.

I also played ghosts at the eurogamer expo in September and although I could not actually see xbox ones on display, xbox one controllers were used though

As for the graphics they looked about 20% better than the last COD I played which was MW3, the graphics were nothing special at all

StuBurns

Banned
I know CoD will definitely be a solid 60, it always is. It's their absolute determination to retain 60fps regardless of other factors which made me a fan of the series.
Incorrect, and the performance is very well documented. CoD does not maintain 60fps at all times, nor does KZ:SF, nor will BF4.
Quite right, CoD looks shit, but it's nothing to do with KZ:SF looking good.
I'm pretty much writing it off as the standard anti-CoD rhetoric at the moment
You're wrong. Personally, this is the first CoD I'm thinking of getting back into since MW2.

I'm pretty much writing off the people saying it looks good as being optically challenged, personally.

Radec

The glitch itself is not entirely the issue, look at the texture. Is that good enough to you? if yes, then you should probably buy the PS3/360 version since it will probably look the same.

also, CoD hitting a rock solid 60 ? what CoD have you played that have a locked 60 fps ?

Thos 3 FPS will never be locked at 60. Dips are expected and will happen.

Exactly. I can't believe how the narrative has changed over the last few weeks to '720p is fine'. It is worth considering though that the reason it looks so bad is because they're trying to optimise it for the X1 and don't want to make it even more difficult by adding in even more next gen assets.

As a prospective PS4 owner I demand 1080p/60fps from most games and in two years I'll be demanding 1080p/60fps from all games.

Yea, wishful thinking with that, buddy. Especially on a $400 console.

gruenel

Exactly. I can't believe how the narrative has changed over the last few weeks to '720p is fine'. It is worth considering though that the reason it looks so bad is because they're trying to optimise it for the X1 and don't want to make it even more difficult by adding in even more next gen assets.

As a prospective PS4 owner I demand 1080p/60fps from most games and in two years I'll be demanding 1080p/60fps from all games.

Good luck with that.

Personally, I hope that won't happen. Depending on the genre, I'd rather have more eye candy.

Marc

giphy.gif

Interesting, game still looks like gash though. Will probably still break sales records somehow.

Skeff

Yea, wishful thinking with that, buddy. Especially on a $400 console.

Crazily enough, it's more likely than on a $500 console.

But games will never all be 60fps, it's a design decision, you can always turn up the graphics and in a lot of genre's it's worth it.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Good luck with that.

Personally, I hope that won't happen. Depending on the genre, I'd rather have more eye candy.

I see no reason why not. Compute hasn't been heavily used yet and the games we are seeing are 1st generation games. KZS looks incredible and runs at 1080p/60fps in multiplayer and 35-40fps in singleplayer. It's no stretch what so ever to assume we will be getting 1080p/60fps with all the bells and whistles on the PS4 when 2nd and 3rd generation games release.

Thrakier

But thats complete bollocks...

Forza is 5 1080p, native @ 60fps. NBA is 1080p native @60fps.

The system is capable of outputting NATIVE 1080p.

IF it does turn out to be true and COD Ghosts is 720p on the XOne, I would say its more an indication of Infinity Ward skill set.

Of course it's capable of putting out 1080p, PS3 and 360 are also. But at what graphical fidelity, that is the question. If IW decides to go for 720p on 1 and 1080p on PS4 that is a pretty big statement. Considering the power difference, it's not surprising though. Hard to believe that there are still people out there thinking that the consoles are on par.

If it's truly 720 on Xbox one it says a whole more about the game developer than the hardware here. This game is pushing nothing graphically that's very impressive.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
If it's truly 720 on Xbox one it says a whole more about the game developer than the hardware here. This game is pushing nothing graphically that's very impressive.

No it doesn't. The fact that this game ISN'T a graphical masterpiece and they're clearly having trouble reaching 1080p on the X1, is an indication that the PS4 is more powerful.

Skeff

How about Killer Instinct and Powerstar golf? Also 720p with not much going on. It's not IW that is slacking here.

Considering his job, easy. Call Bobby, hey Bobby i'm getting a little shit on GAF. What res is Ghosts, Bobby says ah sure Albie its 1080p 60fps.

Problem over. post on gaf everyone happy. The console war continues.

But Bobby says 720p 60fps.

Albie goes on twitter "I've seen COD: Ghosts running on Xbox One. It looks f'n amazing. Wait for real footage, then judge for yourself."

ltdr: its an easy answer to find if they wanted too, regardless of the answer.

It was meant as a digg to Albert

Atruvius

Yet I have no doubt that COD will beat BF4 1.5:1 in sales and BF4 will beat KZ 5:1.

C'mon, BF4 and CoD will be coming out on both this gen and next gen consoles + on PC while KZ will only be coming out on PS4. I think it's pretty much given those two will massively outsell Killzone.

Raist

Banned

Wait, what does it say? Because "the dev" has no problem with 1080p on another console. IIRC 360 versions of CoD games were always slightly better than on PS3, so it's not like they're anti-microsoft or unfamiliar with the overall architecture.

Now some people might comclude that the console is a LOT less powerful (720vs1080 is no small difference) but that's not necessarily true. At the very least it indicates that developement on this platform is trickier, and perhaps the console (and tools) have been rushed. If it's just the latter, that might not be an issue next time. Kinda doubt it though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom