• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adam Demo for Unity released (downloadable)

Link
We showed a short version of our Adam demo at GDC 2016, and this summer attendees at our Unite Europe conference were able to view the full film in real time. Now, we’re releasing character, environment, and GFX packs from the demo, as well as an executable version you can download.
Adam executable

Adam executable download (size: 3 GB; Windows DX11 only)

It is expected to run 30 fps v-synced @ 1440p on a GeForce GTX 980 and Intel Core i7.

There are two quality settings included: ‘Fantastic’ and ‘Good’. ‘Fantastic’ is the main target, intended for reasonably powerful gaming computers, whereas ‘Good’ is intended for less powerful desktops and gaming laptops. Keep in mind, though, that to preserve the look of the film, there’s no ‘low’ spec for this demo, and as such it might run slowly on older hardware or non-gaming laptops.
Adam_01.png

More at the link of course. Let's post some results!

They also put up some information and content about the area lights and volumetrics on Github.

Just ran it!

I was getting primarily 60 fps (the limit) indoors with a height of 70% GPU utilisation. Outdoors though I ran into CPU limitations on my rig and it went down to 40 fps, since it is double buffered and I am running it on a 120hz display. This was on the following rig:

1920X1080 @ 120hz
Titan X (Maxwell) @ 1425 mhz core, 500+ mhz on mem
Core i7 930 @ 4.2 Ghz
24GB 1600mhz DDR3

The motion blur looks really great at 60 fps actually, gives those scenes a surreal quality to them actually. Interestingly I did see some visual artifacts like how when the character adam tears the cloth from his arm... the canned cloth sim was running at an obvious 30 fps and looked rather jarring.

It seems to force vsync... Never wavers from 30fps. Vid Core clock doesn't seem to saturate either.

i7 3770k @ 4.4
980ti @ 1500/8000
16 ddr3 1600.

Durante

Yeah, ran at a locked 30 FPS for me at 2560x1440. Took some screenshots:

adam_2016_11_01_19_4403uvr.png

adam_2016_11_01_19_472du0f.png

adam_2016_11_01_19_48lrujn.png

IQ is outstanding outside of a few niggles.

KKRT00

Looks great, i wouldnt mind a movie done this way, but demo is really not optimized properly.
For me it was running between 50-60 fps with sometimes drops to 40s and once to 30s, but the utilization of GPU was around 60-70% [once 80%] and CPU barely moved over 20% with not one core even going outside 30% utilization range.

GTX 1080 + 6800k@4ghz.

tauke

Thanks OP for the link! Will going to try it on my workstation at work which has a Quadro K2200 4GB on a really old driver.

There are also asset packs for character models and environments for Unity devs to fiddle around with, which is nice, too.

Also, at the latest Unite keynote (which just happened) one of the devs mentioned that the new temporal anti-aliasing only takes 0.5ms of processing. Anyone more knowledgable than me about that (Durante signal, activate!) know if that's a big deal or not?

bee

yeah saw this earlier, it doesn't like 4k, 10.3gb ram usage, 7.7gb vram, 15-20fps with low cpu usage and 40-100% gpu, looks fucking amazing though

Durante

There are also asset packs for character models and environments for Unity devs to fiddle around with, which is nice, too.

Also, at the latest Unite keynote (which just happened) one of the devs mentioned that the new temporal anti-aliasing only takes 0.5ms of processing. Anyone more knowledgable than me about that (Durante signal, activate!) know if that's a big deal or not?
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1291319 :p

Anyway, I'd say their TAA implementation is inching closer to the state of the art, and has more or less reached it at this point.

KKRT00

0.5ms on what GPU? But generally thats low. In 60fps you have 16.67ms gpu to use per frame, so its 3% of budget.

Ran it again at 1080p (original run was 1440p). No difference in framerate, none of my cpu threads go above 55%, and was a rare sight too. GPU core stays @ 1139mhz. WTF.

Ran pretty damn good on my Radeon 285 at 1440p.

I'd love to see the occlusion that is taking place because it should not run as well as it did given the graphical fidelity.

We're still getting yearly Revisions, so not dead yet.
Just, you know, dormant.

I remember when Dreamhack wasn't just a eSports event. I remember when the yearly Assembly meant seeing the cream of the crop show their best every year (and the promise of ultimate frisbee!). Hell, I remember the cracktros that started this whole thing, Now I'm sad.... :(

Parham

Banned
Looking forward to digging through some of these assets. Especially excited to look at their environment and lighting packs.

low-G

Checked it out earlier today. I think I talked about it being unimpressive in the initial thread, but it looks way better in person (real time). Video compression really kills the image quality & materials.

Randdalf

That PostPostprocessing code is from a really old version of Unity; it doesn't compile in 5.4.

edit: Apparently my version of Unity was out of date >_<

edit 2: Oh I was loading the wrong repo, derp

Business

Just tested it and it's indeed looking great.

Something about the lighting, materials and asset quality inconsistency reminds me of MGSV.

I see the link has downloads for assets for the demo. Does this include the actual source code for the demo (ie C# or Javascript source code) or is it just the media type assets (sounds, textures etc)

I havent used Unity before but am interested in it

So a 5930k @ 4.4Ghz and my 980 (no SLI so it only uses one card) averaged about 20 FPS at 1440p on the Fantastic preset.

Not sure if something's wrong as the "locked 30" wasn't even in the same ballpark as to what I just watch.

EDIT: Good preset was a locked 30 (save for 2 drops to 24 during a fast scene switch/asset load but it lasted less than a second).

low-G

So a 5930k @ 4.4Ghz and my 980 (no SLI so it only uses one card) averaged about 20 FPS at 1440p on the Fantastic preset.

Not sure if something's wrong as the "locked 30" wasn't even in the same ballpark as to what I just watch.

EDIT: Good preset was a locked 30 (save for 2 drops to 24 during a fast scene switch/asset load but it lasted less than a second).

On a 6600k @ 4.3GHz and 1070 I'm getting 30fps on 1440p fantastic, only a handful of slower frametimes too. Noticed that it's gobbling up RAM though... Windows gave me the first ever low memory warning I've seen and I have 16GB...

The assets in this, and the general atmosphere of the demo are pretty spectacular.

The eyes in this shot for example are just sweet looking:
adam_2016_11_02_04_033puhe.png

Also, this shot:
adam_2016_11_02_04_05mdu85.png

Made me wonder how you can actually get motion blur for geometry that deforms like that. I do not think any games support motion blur for deforming geometry like that.

Momentary

Banned
It's running at a locked 30fps @ 5K on fantastic settings.

Edit: Everything was taken while in motion so the blurring effects are still in there. I just learned pausing the scenes gives you crisp screenshots without the blurring effects.

^^ that is not exactly proper 5k. Getting some big upscaling there.

I get the same problem when I try to run it @ 4K. Unity does not seem to like my messing with the resolution or the desktop resolution.

Momentary

Banned
^^ that is not exactly proper 5k. Getting some big upscaling there.

I get the same problem when I try to run it @ 4K. Unity does not seem to like my messing with the resolution or the desktop resolution.

Yeah. I just tried some things and it looks to look like it just upscales it. What a bummer.

Running it at 1440p gives me around 41-70fps. It mainly stays around 45-60. Setting it to the good setting seems to lock it to 30fps no matter what. It looks fantastic at higher frame rates.

low-G

So basically, if we had the resources and talent, we could make our own CG movies with this engine?

You'd probably want to use something that will render advanced effects that can't be done in real time, and/or provide more robust artistic tools. There's really no benefit to using a games engine for that.

tauke

Can't get it to work on my office workstation (Intel i7 3930K and Quadro K2200) since it keep crashing.

Finally got to tried it with my own PC and here's the hardware monitor graph when running the demo on Intel i7 4770K 4.2GHz and GTX 780 3GB which I overclocked a tiny bit.

Y0H8X8N.png

Sad that 3GB VRAM is still not enough for Fantastic preset at 1080p but the visuals looks great although the DOF can still be better since the precision is not stable enough in motion.

I'll share my thought as an FX and Compositing artist for high-end CGI work, the realtime visuals at 30fps is really slick but there is still issue with the way it handles motion blur where it uses the velocity pass buffer to drive the motion blur as a post-process which means fast motion geometry that overlaps on a slower moving background/objects results in this odd looking silhouette with streaky lines.

Same issue with the DOF as high quality bokeh blurring takes at least 1-2 sec to render in a compositing software like Nuke at 1080p.

So those who plan to use Unity for short CGI movies... I still think it is more practical to do it in a proper DCC (like Maya or 3dsmax) with a decent renderer like Vray. Although I'm looking forward to a future where it is possible to use the renderer in Unity/Unreal Engine and dump all the necessary passes to be composited in an external compositing software as the quality and speed is still way ahead compared to offline renderer when given the same amount of rendering time.

Unity puts out these graphics tech demos sometimes, but I've never seen anyone manage to make a seriously graphically impressive Unity 3D game.

I certainly struggled to make anything that looked good when I was tinkering with the engine last year. :/

On the topic of using Unity or any other engine to make movies in (as opposed to the normal Maya/Max workflows), you can theoretically use any 3D software to do a 3D movie in. I watched RWBY recently - that was pretty much just Poser and After Effects (although it is hardly the most graphically impressive series).

Oppo

Unity puts out these graphics tech demos sometimes, but I've never seen anyone manage to make a seriously graphically impressive Unity 3D game.

well Firewatch just won a 3D Unity award for visuals

but I suppose it depends on if you are talking "impressive" art direction or technical execution

jett

D-Member
My PC did not like this demo AT ALL, lol. 4670k/280X/8GB. Would momentarily freeze whenever the camera angle changed, and my PC nearly shat a brick when I closed the program down.

I figured it wouldn't run well but I didn't figure it would be this shitty.

That's quite impressive. I love and use UE4 a lot, but I'm really happy that Unity is making this fantastic effort to keep improving.

The atmospheric scattering (?) is pretty sweet when playing with the sun light outdoors, getting things like:

Compared to the default posted by Durante:

T.O.P

Banned
The assets in this, and the general atmosphere of the demo are pretty spectacular.

The eyes in this shot for example are just sweet looking:
adam_2016_11_02_04_033puhe.png

Also, this shot:
adam_2016_11_02_04_05mdu85.png

Made me wonder how you can actually get motion blur for geometry that deforms like that. I do not think any games support motion blur for deforming geometry like that.

oh wow, looks incredible

Top Bottom