• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adam Sessler's: On Xbox One and PS4's Resolutiongate, and Day One Patches

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ricky_R

I always got the impression that Sessler was only trying to "level the playing field" during the E3 days simply because MSat the time was the underdog. However as he kept doing it over and over again and the hypocrisy only increased I simply can't take it seriously anymore. There is a very very clear agenda in him.

And Keighley did the same thing preE3 but stopped after the Sony conference after seeing how wrong he was. Sessler on the other hand just kept digging that hole.

Did he do the same with the PS3 this gen?

I actually feel sorry for Sony at this point...
They had years of the gaming press ridiculing them for the technical problem / deficiencies of the PS3... They step up to the plate and deliver a new console which fixes all the PS3 eccentricities and makes it developer friendly to boot.... Sit back and await the Gaming press plaudits....
But no, the gaming press have decided it's possibly too good now and a console like the XB1 is sufficient.....

fucking sony screwed the pooch. they broke out of the little corral the western narrative (primarily the us/uk) had comfortably fenced them inside of for years ('some interesting first-party stuff, but otherwise mostly inferior'). they went from good/acceptable to too good, &'ve delivered a technically superior console, & now they're paying the price...

they asked for it, & now they're getting it. 'what profits a company if it gains technical superiority, but loses track of its proper place in the narrative?' there will be (& obviously already is) blood :) ...

i'd suggest sessler, ars, df, et al, ask themselves a single, simple question: is the narrative truly threatened because a) sony is over-delivering, or could it conceivably be that, in actuality, it's because b) ms is under-delivering?...

bankster

Banned
"It´s the games that matter" is trivially true. It is a total non-argument. "The best hand in poker wins. Therefore, it´s pointless to talk about how poker should be played."

RaikuHebi

Banned
"It´s the games that matter" is trivially true. It is a total non-argument. "The best hand in poker wins. Therefore, it´s pointless to talk about how poker should be played."
Yes, it reminds me of people who stifle discussions about politics, religion, philosophy, history etc. with:
"Everyone should just get all along, they're all idiots, I don't like talking about these things, I just want to get on with my life".

I agree, but I just want to have an engaging discussion.

Raist

Banned
All I'm going to say is that Sony must've done something pretty horrendous to the gaming media for Sessler and Leadbetter to be so pro-MS.

Well in leadbetter's case, Sony killed Sega.

But in all seriousness, maybe they personal preference lies with MS. That's fine. I mean they're just like everyone else so they can prefer a platform over another for whatever reason. The problem is when this interferes with their job which should be impartial.

are they saying they can't talk about the xb1 version but can ps4?

weird.

so could be lower res and frame rate dips like the ps version then?

the dev saying locked to 60 was wrong?

it's all too secretive.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
All I'm going to say is that Sony must've done something pretty horrendous to the gaming media for Sessler and Leadbetter to be so pro-MS.

They actually didn't. Don't worry about that.

Sony has handled just about everything right regarding PS4. Journalists in gaming love to over-sensationalize things and you saw only a glimpse of that by that twitter tirade.

If you appreciate the fact that some of us have some connections to get clarity then I would stick closely to the right people here instead of these people who make a living or get paid for covering games. They aren't my concern as much as setting the story straight regardless of who's feelings it hurts.

iwZBrXZzGxdJB.jpg

The embargo is embargo'd?

><

who are they?

be good to know if they're generally objective and if they've played the exclusives of both and thoroughly explored the features to see it's a well rounded view (not based on preference and a couple of games).

Marleyman

Banned
I have no idea why so many here are developing a persecution complex in regards to the PS4 and gaming journalism.

Many Sony fans are still feeling the sting of this gen and want payback. They are bitter and now that they have the advantage in something; it will be repeated non-stop.

Claude Kenni said:
You're the majority, what reason is there to constantly look for and often imagine ways that you think your stance isn't being expressed enough by people who are free to have their own opinions?

Right; I don't see nearly the amount of indignation coming from the MS camp, and they are the ones getting shit on consistently. Any perceived slight against Sony is met with extreme prejudice.

Claude Kenni said:
The accusations of bias are becoming completely out of control. There's simply no reason for such a bias to exist in the vast majority of cases people are claiming there is. It's making discussion of articles very difficult as many members here feel a need for every opinion posted to absolutely line up to their own and any attempt to challenge a narrative that has been established here is shut down immediately. That discourages critical thinking, I'm not sure why so many desire views to be homogenized to align with their own when there are multiple valid ways of thinking in nearly every situation. There is no conspiracy in the media to favor one console-maker and thinking such a thing borders on craziness. I welcome diverse views and it's a real shame that some here don't.

Amen

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Many Sony fans are still feeling the sting of this gen and want payback. They are bitter and now that they have the advantage in something; it will be repeated non-stop.

Right; I don't nearly the amount of indignation coming from the MS camp, and they are the ones getting shit on consistently. Any perceived slight against Sony is met with extreme prejudice.

Amen
Realize the tables also flip the other way.

There are other extremes or just opposite ends to that argument which have happened even in this thread.

The point is to keep the truth as clear as can be. I don't care about persecution complexes when things aren't exactly alright. I've seen a few people quote that post but ignore the other side of the coin which equally makes a salient point.

I do think that those short drive by comments hurt the conversation but there is something amiss here but it's certainly not a Sony/PS4 issue as much as an MSFT issue. Let's keep that as the focus since it is what it is.

Right; I don't see nearly the amount of indignation coming from the MS camp, and they are the ones getting shit on consistently. Any perceived slight against Sony is met with extreme prejudice.

Amen

Dat selective thread reading skill. This has all happened before, and will happen again. The situation is merely reversed this time. The wheel of time spins on.

Ricky_R

Amen

No woman, no cry

Marleyman

Banned
Realize the tables also flip the other way.

Sure they do; there are just more at the one side of the table on a consistent basis.

LiquidMetal said:
I do think that those short drive by comments hurt the conversation but there is something amiss here but it's certainly not a Sony/PS4 issue as much as an MSFT issue. Let's keep that as the focus since it is what it is.

Fair enough

That's probably part of it. However, as an outside observer from Europe, I really get the impression that this phenomenon is almost exclusively occuring in the American gaming press, which previously had no issues kicking the PS3 at every opportunity. Go figure.

You're saying resolutiongate might come down to a sort of misplaced sense of patriotism?

Hanmik

Amen

instead of this selective stuff.. please tell us your opinion on the Adam Sessler thing going on here..

Amen

How about being fair. If one version is clearly better than another say it. No bullshit, cloud, upscaler, I can't tell the difference 10 feet away, gameplay > graphics, just spill the beans.

nib95

Banned
And it's a shit post being congratulated.

Dismissing or ignoring facts is not "challenging a narrative".

Reminds me of the Xbox enthusiasts that quoted and commended that now infamous Albert Penello post. The one where he mentioned Direct X and all the rest lol.

Side note, 640p vs 720p or whatever is a lot less of a difference than 720p vs 1080p. I hope people realise that.

That condescening voice when says "resolution"... Like it's some infectious desease connected to fanboyism. For shame Sessler, for shame.

RaikuHebi

Banned
You're saying resolutiongate might come down to a sort of misplaced sense of patriotism?
Another crazy theory would be people who still can't get over what Sony did to Nintendo and Sega back in the day.

What sting? PS3 has sold more than 360.

Marleyman

Banned
instead of this selective stuff.. please tell us your opinion on the Adam Sessler thing going on here..

Sessler seemed to have contradicted himself; that much seems apparent. I also don't think resolutions are going to mean much to the average joe. As someone who has been in the loop, I think MS has been dishonest about the power differences and have some explaining to do.

This is a very flawed argument. I am an Xbox 360 owner. I've never owned a PS3 or any previous PlayStation. This generation, I'm making the switch to the PS4 due in part to the performance issues that the Xbox One appears to have. So don't assume that anyone defending Sony is a fanboy.

Dragon

Banned
Seriously. Who cares what this guy or any other game journalist thinks.

I should start making videos.

I seriously think GAF should have their own youtube channel and game reviews. But that's really up to the admins and Evilore. Or at least a podcast to summarize each week.

Marleyman

Banned
This is a very flawed argument. I am an Xbox 360 owner. I've never owned a PS3 or any previous PlayStation. This generation, I'm making the switch to the PS4 due in part to the performance issues that the Xbox One appears to have. So don't assume that anyone defending Sony is a fanboy.

Show me where I said that anyone defending Sony is a fanboy...

Since this is a forum of users of varying ages, I'm just going to assume you're really young. Otherwise, grow up.

I mean, what sting? The PS3 and X360 were extremely close this generation, and nearly indistinguishable from each other. I owned both and each has their pros and cons.

BadWolf

Finding it very odd how hard it is for the gaming press to admit that one console is more powerful and just move the hell on.

Wonder if they would be as apprehensive if the shoe was on the other foot and it was the X1 that was the clear powerhouse.

And those gameplay and style arguments are a cheap cop out.

nib95

Banned
The war? The sting I am referring to is multi plats being inferior all this gen.

Not all multplatform games are inferior though, and many are basically at parity. There's no 1080p vs 720p style differences. Any that are, are complete outliers.

njr

Sessler has really fallen off. I don't care that CoD is going to run on a lower res on Xbone, simply because i'm not getting the game at all. But it just baffles me that he had the audacity to form this opinion after months of saying the opposite.

waypoetic

Banned
Sessler's comment on this thread and subject:

"@AdamSessler: well @kanaye_ I've been doing this for 15 years. After the first 10 years of irrational hate you just say "I don't give a shit"

Irrational hate? Whu.. What? That's not how you spell criticism.

highrider

Banned
I think so. You don't think being hit over the head for all of these years about how Sony's multi plat titles were garbage in comparison wore hard on those who are loyal to Sony?

Conversely, it illustrates the hypocrisy of the dismissal of performance differences now. It's disingenuous to suggest this is a chorus of bitter Sony fans. But it certainly deflects attention away from the very real disparity in hardware.

Since this is a forum of users of varying ages, I'm just going to assume you're really young. Otherwise, grow up.

I mean, what sting? The PS3 and X360 were extremely close this generation, and nearly indistinguishable from each other. I owned both and each has their pros and cons.

Nah, it's just Marleyman being Marleyman. I also wouldn't try to equate age with maturity, in any case. I've known several young adults who behave more rationally than some who are much older.

MMaRsu

Banned
The war? The sting I am referring to is multi plats being inferior all this gen.

Yeah but the differences were hardly noticeable. I can only remember RDR and Bayonetta as two specific examples where the PS3 version suffered.

But the differences this time are vastly greater! And resolution DOES matter to the average joe, because everybody knows the difference between 720p and full hd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom