• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adidas new addition to the shoe game, shackles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those shoes are silly looking things for children. There is no way a grown man would step out of the house with orange plastic chains dangling from his ankles.
People leave the house thinking it is acceptable to wear their pants around their knees. Probably the target demo.

Rootbeer

Banned
Everyone here thinks they are stupid. Guess that means the 11-14 crowd will be all over these.

I also had a My Pet Monster as a kid. That needs a comeback.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Uh, the company tagline for this makes it 100% clear that this is a reference to chaining something to yourself because it is valuable. Is this slavery too?

Really, the first image that comes to your mind when you see shackles on shoes is the 1 guy with the nuclear launch codes and not hundreds of thousands of African slaves? If they came with a free spear that you can chuck at people trying to take your valuable shoes would you immediately think of a 15th century Swiss pike square?

Izick

Justin Beiber will be wearing them so his shoes don't fall off.

uchln.jpg

Is that his mom?

I would not let my children wear faux shackles on their legs due to historical significance and due to social stratification and the role that corporations play in keeping the status quo for all minorities. It's disgusting. But, I would not actively campaign to get these taken off the market. People can look foolish in them if they want to.

wat? the shackle has been around since babylonians. black ppl were not the first to be slaves...

We're talking about an American shoe company who's gaudy, limited edition designs are primarily aimed at hipsters and urban minorities.

In that context, the shoe is not just ugly, but stupefyingly alienating to one of the primary demographics.

People leave the house thinking it is acceptable to wear their pants around their knees. Probably the target demo.

notworksafe

I would not let my children wear faux shackles on their legs due to historical significance and due to social stratification and the role that corporations play in keeping the status quo for all minorities. It's disgusting. But, I would not actively campaign to get these taken off the market. People can look foolish in them if they want to.
I still don't get how they are racially insensitive though. And I'm saying this as part of a minority group who's people were enslaved.

Like I said, they are ugly and stupid looking. But not racist.

EDIT: Hell, I'd say they were art before I'd say they were racist. Being shackled by consumer culture and all that.

Kurdel

Banned
I still don't get how they are racially insensitive though. And I'm saying this as part of a minority group who's people were enslaved.

EDIT: Hell, I'd say they were art before I'd say they were racist. Being shackled by consumer culture and all that.

Slavery of black people in the US is definately not the first thing that comes to mind when I think of chains.

Subjugation, emprisonment and slavery do come to mind, but calling this racist because black people were slaves is an interpretation that says more about the people than the shoes...

I disagree with you. I know that anyone can go and buy these shoes, and they are not necessarily directly marketed to black neighborhoods, but the images in my mind of a black kid wearing them are offensive to me based on racial history. The kid wearing them deserves some of the blame for his willing participation in the image. I'd hope they had more self respect or awareness of their place in time.

Slavery of black people in the US is definately not the first thing that comes to mind when I think of chains.

Subjugation, emprisonment and slavery do come to mind, but calling this racist because black people were slaves is an interpretation that says more about the people than the shoes...

Please just come out and say what you are thinking, don't leave it up to the imagination.

Tacitus_

I disagree with you. I know that anyone can go and buy these shoes, and they are not necessarily directly marketed to black neighborhoods, but the images in my mind of a black kid wearing them are offensive to me based on racial history. The kid wearing them deserves some of the blame for his willing participation in the image. I'd hope they had more self respect or awareness of their place in time.

notworksafe

They are offensive to you, okay I can respect that. That doesn't make the shoes or their design inherently racist. Just because you see a black kid wearing them doesn't mean they were designed to send that message. I think you should look at yourself and think about why you immediately see a black person in your mind when seeing chains.

i can't wait until some dipshit like chris brown wears these "ironically" and then it's okay for all black people to wear them.
This is more ASAP rocky. He already wore the white winged ones in a video.

While black dudes certain wear this stuff I would bet trust fund NYC club types are the people ear wearing this more than anyone.

RSLAEV

I think it's great! I'm not in to sneaker culture so the visual of a bunch of people in overpriced shoes that are actually shackled to their feet-it's art.

This is more ASAP rocky. He already wore the white winged ones in a video.

While black dudes certain wear this stuff I would bet trust fund NYC club types are the people ear wearing this more than anyone.

You know what's funny about that? The idea of moneyed, privileged non-minorities wearing expensive limited-edition "art" marketed to/via urban culture (co-opted from minorities) that is visually evocative, inadvertently or otherwise, of the enslaving of those people who the urban culture was co-opted from.

You know what? Actually, I love this sneaker. It's the ultimate culture troll.

They are offensive to you, okay I can respect that. That doesn't make the shoes or their design inherently racist. Just because you see a black kid wearing them doesn't mean they were designed to send that message. I think you should look at yourself and think about why you immediately see a black person in your mind when seeing chains.

Because that's what's relevant to my life experience. I'm not shouldering the ills of every race on my shoulders, I'm obviously not that enlightened. And I wouldn't look down on people of other races for wearing them, I just expect people of my own race to be more aware of their history and make better choices about how they portray themselves. I would hope that, if persons of other races had similar objections they would try to engender the same values in their own families and communities.

And I never said that the shoes were racist or part of a racist agenda. Just the image that they create.

You know what's funny about that? The idea of moneyed, privileged non-minorities wearing expensive limited-edition "art" marketed to/via urban culture (co-opted from minorities) that is visually evocative, inadvertently or otherwise, of the enslaving of those people who the urban culture was co-opted from.

You know what? Actually, I love this sneaker. It's the ultimate culture troll.
well like I said, it's the guy who did this:

jeremy-scott-hand-sunglasses--large-msg-13347686772.jpg

b6152f175f332bf2_Food_Fight_10.jpg

jeremy-scott-adidas-originals-mickey-hi-2.jpg

and for lols:
4794919146_5d72dc9429.jpg

Because that's what's relevant to my life experience. I'm not shouldering the ills of every race on my shoulders, I'm obviously not that enlightened. And I wouldn't look down on people of other races for wearing them, I just expect people of my own race to be more aware of their history and make better choices about how they portray themselves. I would hope that, if persons of other races had similar objections they would try to engender the same values in their own families and communities.

And I never said that the shoes were racist or part of a racist agenda. Just the image that they create.
Yes they can have racist symbolism. But at the same time, their actual symbolism is of something so valuable that you attach it to yourself with golden cuffs. It intentionally and effectively symbolizes a sort of personal prosperity that is opposite thematically to slavery.

So what would make us a more enlightened society: outrage toward a product/company over a alternative take on the product that everyone agrees isn't the actual message behind it, or acceptance that positive (though shallow) symbols may sometimes be visually similar to negative symbols?

JCX

I posted this story on facebook, and someone commented "Gotta prepare for their future in jail." I am appalled, but I guess that's what old high school classmates do on facebook. SMH.

Ugly and stupid.

Racially insensitive? No, can't forecast every stupid fucking thing people will create to get angry about. I want twitter handles and timelines for every idiot crying racism. Bet most of them are doing far more to pull people back than these god awful shoes.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
African slaves were not the only people to be put in shackles. These shoes may be generally (not racially) insensitive, but they aren't racist. The list of types of people put into ankle shackles throughout history is pretty fucking long. I'd wager that there could possibly be more groups of people that have at one point been in shackles than not.

These shoes are, however, retarded.

I entered to post this. Right on point.

Yes they can have racist symbolism. But at the same time, their actual symbolism is of something so valuable that you attach it to yourself with golden cuffs. It intentionally and effectively symbolizes a sort of personal prosperity that is opposite thematically to slavery.

So what would make us a more enlightened society: outrage toward a product/company over a alternative take on the product that everyone agrees isn't the actual message behind it, or acceptance that positive (though shallow) symbols may sometimes be visually similar to negative symbols?

Eh, I'd just go with acceptance of the fact that for some it's definitely going to be a racial issue for what are valid reasons. No one has to be outraged, just a little more empathetic. "I don't know how someone could see these as racially insensitive" is a pretty bullshit response. In a global market, there are going to be whole populations who see nothing wrong with the product and that's okay because the issue only comes up in a certain context.

Eh, I'd just go with acceptance of the fact that for some it's definitely going to be a racial issue for what are valid reasons. No one has to be outraged, just a little more empathetic. "I don't know how someone could see these as racially insensitive" is a pretty bullshit response. In a global market, there are going to be whole populations who see nothing wrong with the product and that's okay because the issue only comes up in a certain context.

You have to draw the line somewhere. There will always be someone standing ready to be offended.

There is barely any intelligible principle to connect this to american slavery specifically. And really barely any to relate to slavery in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom