• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google / Alphabet’s secretive Schaft Inc. shows off new bipedal robot in Tokyo

Status
Not open for further replies.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyZE0psQsX0

http://techcrunch.com/2016/04/08/al...aft-inc-shows-off-new-bipedal-robot-in-tokyo/
The nameless robot strutted onstage at the New Economic Summit in Japan, joining Schaft co-founder Yuto Nakanishi and facing a delighted crowd. A video then played showing robots like the one on stage, but different — but all with a few things in common.

Most important has to be the walking system. Rather than imitate a human gait, which is a remarkably complex controlled-falling affair, these robots have rigid legs that slide up and down like rails. This allows them to lift without bending, while joints at the top allow them to be canted in or out and “ankles” at the bottom provide stability on uneven terrain. Batteries and motors are suspended between the legs, creating a naturally low center of gravity.

http://spectrum.ieee.org/automaton/robotics/humanoids/shaft-demos-new-bipedal-robot-in-japan
Right now, the New Economic Summit (NEST) 2016 conference is going on in Tokyo, Japan. One of the keynote speakers is Andy Rubin. Rubin was in charge of Google’s robotics program in 2013, when the company (now Alphabet) acquired a fistful of some of the most capable and interesting robotics companies in the world. One of those companies was SCHAFT, which originated at the JSK Robotics Laboratory at the University of Tokyo and is best known for winning the DARPA Robotics Challenge Trials by an absurd amount.

According to Hornyak, SCHAFT’s new robot (which hasn’t been named yet) “is designed to be a low-cost, low-power, compact device to ‘help society.’ ” It can lift 60 kg, travel over uneven terrain, and even tackle stairs, which are notoriously difficult for robots.

Cff7oTXWIAA4xZ1.jpg

Cfhk5sEXIAAKo8S.jpg

The design on this is so good. Kind of Ma.K styling. Capability wise I'm not sure how it compares to all of those Boston Dynamics ones though (the slipping on the bar part of the video is no man-kicking-robot), but I think this looks better!

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Give it a tube body and a dome head and you have a R2 unit. Looks great.

Alx

Great design. But I wonder if there's any benefit to go bipedal when building a non-humanoid robot ? If you're not constrained by human ergonomy, a quadruped would be more efficient in almost any task.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Great design. But I wonder if there's any benefit to go bipedal when building a non-humanoid robot ? If you're not constrained by human ergonomy, a quadruped would be more efficient in almost any task.

I'd wager that a smaller bipedal human profile and center of weight will make this a more useful robot in indoor environments. You can't expect a quadruped to mount a spiral staircase or enter a small bathroom as easily. Our world is simply designed for bipedal traversal.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
So why are Schaft and Boston Dynamics two different entities in the Google world?

Well Google X / Alphabet is just a holding company IIRC, so it acquired both SCHAFT and Boston Dynamics but keeps them as separate entities I think.

Pandy

Someone GIF the bit where the guy is trying to trip it up with the pipe and file it under 'Why the robots destroyed us as soon as they became sentient' for future use.

Really cool work they've done.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
So why are Schaft and Boston Dynamics two different entities in the Google world?
Rumors around that Google looking to sell off Boston Dynamics.
Hard to find a non-military use for their products which is an area that Google do not want to be associated with.

This robot looks to have much of the same functionality with smaller footprint and far cheaper.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Rumors around that Google looking to sell off Boston Dynamics.
Hard to find a non-military use for their products which is an area that Google do not want to be associated with.

This robot looks to have much of the same functionality with smaller footprint and far cheaper.
I know that rumour exists, but I have trouble buying it, it's all because of a single article from business insider. Who knows, maybe it's true, but that's a lot of talent Google would be selling off, for pretty silly reasons (as stated in the rumours).

Pepboy

Glad to see the Japanese aren't too far behind.

I'm surprised Google / Aplhabet kept Schaft but is dumping Boston Dynamics. These robots seem much more timid (aka slower) than the more recent BD stuff. For example, Atlas walks through the snow much faster, but Schaft tends to step backward to a secure place before attempting to move forward again.

It seemed to me like BD was ahead of the curve here, but maybe they had trouble climbing stairs? The number of cuts on the "beach walking" video also made me wonder if the robot fell over multiple times.

Maybe the costs of Atlas were astronomical compared to Schaft?

Maybe the costs of Atlas were astronomical compared to Schaft?

That's what I'm thinking. Alphabets goal is to create viable money making projects. Schafer looks like it's starting small and going big, while atlas was starting big and going small.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom