• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adidas new addition to the shoe game, shackles

Status
Not open for further replies.
4IkkO.jpg

"I'll take 18"

Black-Box

soo racists, if they had the shackles around the show part and made it unique, it would be an artist shoe, also ugly colors. they have the worst artists working for them

Oh, god. This reminds of the Spike Lee movie, Bamboozled, where through marketing, a sketch show about some black face step n' fetch slaves became wildly popular - had every viewer that was a fan (black people included) of the show painting their faces black.

No, Africans aren't the only people to be enslaved, but come on. Who blew up sneaker culture? When you think of hardcore sneaker lovers, what comes to mind?

Uh, the company tagline for this makes it 100% clear that this is a reference to chaining something to yourself because it is valuable. Is this slavery too?

UN9MX.jpg

...So why are so many people being willfully ignorant? Is the simple explanation provided from the beginning too inconvenient for your desired narrative?

Looking at this whole "shoe game", where people trip over each other in competition to be the one who gains social status by purchasing ludicrously-overpriced footwear from a mega-corporation, well it suggests a LOT more disturbing things surrounding slavery than this shoe does. Now that we have a super-simple visual metaphor though, all the hypocrites are suddenly offended.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
It's like walking around with the Confederate flag. "But it's history!!!"

Uh, the company tagline for this makes it 100% clear that this is a reference to chaining something to yourself because it is valuable. Is this slavery too?

http://i.imgur.com/UN9MX.jpg[img]

...So why are so many people being willfully ignorant? Is the simple explanation provided from the beginning too inconvenient for your desired narrative?[/QUOTE]

Because they are fucking shackles!

If you need an explanation rather then just observing them, you're doing it wrong.

Speevy

Banned

UN9MX.jpg

...So why are so many people being willfully ignorant? Is the simple explanation provided from the beginning too inconvenient for your desired narrative?

Looking at this whole "shoe game", where people trip over each other in competition to be the one who gains social status by purchasing ludicrously-overpriced footwear from a mega-corporation, well it suggests a LOT more disturbing things surrounding slavery than this shoe does. Now that we have a super-simple visual metaphor though, all the hypocrites are suddenly offended.

I'm with you man. The backlash is unnecessary. People deserve these shoes.

Fantasmo

id be the first to knock down PC stuff or overreactions but this is mindboggling.

Racist AND ugly. Who wouldn't make this association? Way to incite anger Adidas. Holy mackerel!

SUPREME1

Banned

UN9MX.jpg

People shackle valuable itmes to their ankles!

Dyno

Those shoes are silly looking things for children. There is no way a grown man would step out of the house with orange plastic chains dangling from his ankles.

These shoes are abhorrent in design and the image that they create. Definitely racially insensitive. Don't know who could think that this was a great idea. What's old is new again, I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom