• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Advice-age: My girlfriend wants to drop out of med. school to be a homemaker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

B!TCH

how are you, B!TCH? How is your day going, B!ITCH?
How should I feel about this?

On one hand I know she is perfectly capable of finishing medical school and being a great doctor but on the other hand I want her to do what she wants to do. At issue is that she wants a career that would essentially allow her to stop working once she had kids.

On one hand I appreciate that she has the best interests of our hypothetical children at heart but on the other hand she has a relaxed approach to life. Calling it laziness is going a step too far, but she doesn't want to be stressed or do difficult work despite her abilities. She was raised for most of her life in the Middle East and I feel the relaxed, laid back culture there is having an effect on her outlook (i.e. her mother doesn't work, and barely has a college education), especially when you compare that to American culture which is far more industrious.

Advice?

I love her and I see us having a future together but at the same time I would want my wife to have a career of her own and when we have children both contributing equally to the care of those children. I don't have a problem with someone taking time off from work to raise children but at some point that period ends and you go back to work - my girlfriend seems to think of this as an indefinite period of time off.

The other issue is I want my children to have a great life and have all their needs provided for and more; I'm not 100% we would be able to do that on a single income but she seems to think this is okay.

Obviously we are going to talk about this more but I want to solicit the opinions of the community here because I'm not sure if my concerns are valid or if they are selfish. She has every right to pursue the type of lifestyle she wants but there is the reality that the type of life we could provide for our kids would be severely limited on a single income.

Full disclosure: We are both 21 going on 22. I'm about a month older than her. I'm in grad school but I will be done and earning an income far sooner than she will.

Kalnos

Banned
She must be pretty far into her degree, dropping it would be pointless at this point IMO. She could at least finish it and use the job to pay her loans.

Also, she's a bit young to be thinking about kids if you guys can't even afford to support yourselves yet.

Curtisaur

Forum Landmine
She should do what she believes will make her happiest, as long as she can live with the possible negatives of it as well.

JiuJitsuka

Neo Member
Med school can just be too frustrating at times( Most of the times for me at least ). Perhaps taking a semester off or so might help. The longer the vacation and boredom, the more you want to get back to studying.

Salsa

Uh, is she pregnant? she should finish med school and in the case you have a kid in the future she can stop working then.

Seems like a lazy excuse really, there's no rush.

SRG01

Is this something that came about all of a sudden? Or something she has been thinking for a while?

At 21/22, people start thinking about their priorities in life. If she's thinking of a quiet life, then there's not much stopping her. You could guide her such that it's not a rash decision, but it's ultimately hers to make.

Evlar

Banned
She must be pretty far into her degree, dropping it would be pointless at this point IMO. She could at least finish it and use the job to pay her loans.

Also, she's a bid young to be thinking about kids if you guys can't even afford to support yourselves yet.

At 21? Assuming this is the US, she's barely started.

I mean, if you're going to bail, this would be the time to do it.

areal

She's only 21. Bad move. Having a degree like that will likely make the rest of her life much easier, even if she decides not to pursue a career in medicine.

Kalnos

Banned
At 21? Assuming this is the US, she's barely started.

I mean, if you're going to bail, this would be the time to do it.

I see your point. She could still finish her bachelor's though if she already hasn't, surely she's close at 21.

Agreed. She has a LONG road ahead of her that she's barely started. Med school isn't for everyone and there's no shame in dropping out

Could she get a career in the medical field with only a little more investment? Not a doctor, but at least something employable?

The medical field will always be in demand, and even if she wants to be a homemaker (who wouldn't), dual incomes are the norm these days, and it would be nice for her to have a career she can fall back on if money is tight.

Salsa

Im really weirded out by this thread.

I dont know if this is common in the US but the idea of a girl dropping out from any kind of studying to be a homemaker at 21 years old without kids in the near future is pretty fuckin crazy to me.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Sometimes med school isn't worth it.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
People shouldn't tell her to finish unless she wants to actually be a doctor. Med school is expensive, and she's likely taking on huge debt.

My advice? Dump her. Straight up. She just wants to sit around while you work, so she can raise the kids? It's 2012, and by age 5, the kids will be in school most of the day and that will get longer and longer as time goes by. People are saying it's her life, but it's a selfish attitude if you two plan on having a future TOGETHER. The best thing she can be doing for the kids is trying to provide a more stable financial structure for them.

Recarpo

What would she be planning on doing if she drops out? Different degree? Does she have a job set up that she could do that would pay enough to support you guys until you have kids, if that's the way you guys are going.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Tell her to go into pharmacy and work part time.
She can't transfer into Pharmacy, I don't believe. She would have to start all over, and she may not have all the prereqs for Pharmacy school, as there are a good deal more than med school prereqs.

RevDM

Banned
It's normal. Med school changes you bro, just remind her it will be over soon.

If it comes down to her feeling overwhelmed, tell her shed make a great pediatrician. Two birds with one stone because that way she can care for your kids, and peds is not very competitive so she won't have to stress about killing all her tests.

shira

A lot of med students here like to have kids during residency or in med school because you have increased health insurance and you get maternity leave time.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
At issue is that she wants a career that would essentially allow her to stop working once she had kids.

That isn't a career, that is a job. Your title is misleading unless she just wants to drop out of school completely.

And what it sounds like is that she is ready for kids soon.

Arcteryx

How close is she to her bachelors?

IMO she's going to feel like shit in 15 years when she realizes that her 7 year old kids are in school all day and she has no job, no education, and nothing to do.

She's better off at the very least getting the bachelors for something to fall back on. Seems silly to just piss that away at this point.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
Could she get a career in the medical field with only a little more investment? Not a doctor, but at least something employable?

The medical field will always be in demand, and even if she wants to be a homemaker (who wouldn't), dual incomes are the norm these days, and it would be nice for her to have a career she can fall back on if money is tight.

From the OP, I'm guessing that she's only in her first year of med school. To be a practicing doctor, she needs to finish residency which is a minimum 6 years away. So let's say she decides she wants to finish med school to have the MD degree but not go into clinical practice. So that's three more years of med school. There's atypical options available for MDs such as consulting jobs, medical writing, things like that but those jobs will probably involve a lot of luck, networking and legwork. Not exactly sure how easy it is to find jobs like that since obviously most doctors go into practice.

Finishing up those three years of med school is not "only a little more investment". It's significantly draining and if she's already seriously considering dropping out this early, she will hate having to go through it.

I guess she can always apply for other medical related jobs like hospital technicians that don't need as much training. If she can get into med school, it won't be a challenge for her to get into those

~Kinggi~

Banned
Stupid move. Back in the day when it was the norm for the woman to do nothing but stay at home the man was the king of the castle. Make me a sammich woman! But now with all this fantabulous equality stuff, her staying at home leeching off your income until she eventually gets bored and has an affair will be the end of the relationship and is ultimately a very selfish way fo thinking on her part right now.

She is basically saying "gee honey i really don't want to work hard so ill just let you do everything okay?"

Piecake

Well, unless you are perfectly fine supporting her while she lounges around the house once the kids off to school, I would bail.

She is the one being selfish. Now, if my theoretical wife had a kid and wanted to take a year or two off, I think i would be okay with that, but stop working all together? Fuck that. Unless you got a really well paying job, 1 paycheck households simply dont work.

Evlar

Banned
Here's a number for the thread to mull over: $160,000.

That's the average student debt in the US leaving medical school.

RevDM

Banned
One thing I'd like to add in, not sure of your financial situation, but if she quits now she threw away 50k.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Is she even actually in Med School yet or just doing premed? Seems like it would be hard to be 21 and already in med school, but I could be wrong.

Nilaul

Always look on the brightside.
A meal every time you come back from uni. The smell of cup-capes being baked. Your whole apartment always clean... and in a year she will feel like having kids.

The other issue is I want my children to have a great life and have all their needs provided for and more; I'm not 100% we would be able to do that on a single income but she seems to think this is okay.

Obviously we are going to talk about this more but I want to solicit the opinions of the community here because I'm not sure if my concerns are valid or if they are selfish. She has every right to pursue the type of lifestyle she wants but there is the reality that the type of life we could provide for our kids would be severely limited on a single income.
One of you two should really have a job first before making decisions on whether you can survive on a single income. That will also help guide the two of you into whether your future family can survive on a single income.

My sister and her husband were married for a couple of years when they decided they wanted to start a family and she wanted to stay at home for that. So she continued working for a year and banked it all while trying to live off his single salary. When they discovered they could do that, all that extra money from her working and saving made it easier when they finally had a kid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom