• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AFL (Aussie Rules) 2012 |OT| Kevin Sheedy 2.0 [RIP John McCarthy]

Status
Not open for further replies.

maladroid

everywhere we go
the people wanna know 
how much we paid the umps
to give obrien that free..

Amazing win by Geelong. Hawkins played a blinder. With them and Freo and North continuing on, it's pretty much sealed our season.

Lol, Port. Still can't believe we lost to them. Congrats to Sheedy on his 1000th!

edit:
85ef65df.jpg

Wonder if he'll be taking any time off..

fisheyes

lol port.

I really should of put some money against them, just like I should of last year against the Suns. What a rabble we are. We need a top-to-bottom clean out of - board, coaches, players.

maladroid

lol port.

I really should of put some money against them, just like I should of last year against the Suns. What a rabble we are. We need a top-to-bottom clean out of - board, coaches, players.
Sorry mate. Are you guys carrying injuries? Not familiar enough with your list. Saw you last week, and you weren't so flash then, but you didn't seem to have anything to go to when you reached your attacking 50. Schulz was there today, though, and yeah..

seanoff

Sorry mate. Are you guys carrying injuries? Not familiar enough with your list. Saw you last week, and you weren't so flash then, but you didn't seem to have anything to go to when you reached your attacking 50. Schulz was there today, though, and yeah..

No, they are just absolute rubbish. them and melbourne are complete basket cases.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
These umps.. Garlett high. Two hands on the ball.. Of all the teams that need assistance. Betts. Fark, I hate Etihad.

I haven't been able to watch or listen to the game yet, what are your chances of an upset? Early stages I know but any promising signs?

Edit: Forget it, sounds like they're running away with it...

maladroid

I haven't been able to watch or listen to the game yet, what are your chances of an upset? Early stages I know but any promising signs?

Edit: Forget it, sounds like they're running away with it...
Lol, we were never a chance. We're lucky that the Swans never really put their foot on the accelerator. They did enough to win, and that was about it. They were a class or two above. With our effort though, you couldn't tell our season was on the line with that performance. I guess with Henderson going the surgery option after the Kangas loss, that was a telling sign we had already given up on this season. Why the likes of Davies, White and Curnow were in the team, I have no idea. Carrazzo two touches in the first half was ridiculous. It's what happens when all you care about is tagging the other team, instead of having confidence in your players. It's why Gibbs hasn't gotten anywhere. Thornton kicking another bag of 5 in the 2s, and the likes of Ellard and Lucas getting denied a run in the 1s, and I'm spewing. It was good to see Waite back on the field, at least. Real presence about him. Shame to see his back flare about in the dying moments of the match, though. Casboult can absolutely take a grab, but gee whizz, he can't do much else.

If this season still mattered: White, Davies, Curnow, Casboult would be out. Duigan, Watson, Ellard and Thornton in. Let's pump as many games into the rookies now, I say.

edit: Good on the Saints and the Bombers this round, despite the losses. Showed what fighting for Top 8 should look like. Really courageous effort by the Dons in Adelaide, with all the injuries they had.

tborsje

I'm crossing my fingers that Freo will make the 8 this year...
Their run home is Adelaide (away), Richmond (home), North Melb (away) and Melbourne (home). They'll probably loose to the Crows, but beat Melbourne and Richmond. I'm not sure about North though.

It could be a western derby elimination final going by how bad the Eagles form is at the moment.

jambo

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/143677/default.aspx

MATTHEW Primus has been replaced as Port Adelaide coach, with former Geelong captain Garry Hocking appointed as interim boss for the four matches remaining in 2012.

As well, an emotional club president Brett Duncanson has announced he will stand down as president in December.

Primus was offered the chance to coach out the season after being told he would not be coach next season, but declined.

Port Adelaide CEO Keith Thomas denied at a media conference that the club was in crisis.

He had not discussed with Hocking the possibility of taking on the full-time job.

Not surprising after the weekends effort and the last 2 seasons.

midonnay

It could be a western derby elimination final going by how bad the Eagles form is at the moment.

teams have found out that No Shuey = No Eagles

every lost has coincided with Shuey either missing injured/suspended or missing in action.

its no surprise that he got the number 1 tag rather than Daniel Kerr.

jambo

HEadU.jpg

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/mor...ound-unconscious/story-e6frf9jf-1226443886175

THE Western Bulldogs have suspended young player Tom Liberatore for the rest of the season after he was allegedly found with drugs in the early hours of Sunday morning.

The Bulldogs said in a statement they imposed a four-week sanction after Liberatore, the son of 1990 Brownlow medallist Tony, was found by police early Sunday morning heavily intoxicated and in possession of a "small amount of a recreational, illicit substance".

He has also been handed a $5000 suspended fine and been ordered to undergo counselling. He will not be allowed to train with the club during his ban.

Liberatore was not charge by police.

“I am deeply sorry for my actions and want to sincerely apologise to everyone, especially my family, teammates, coaches, supporters and all those connected with the club, for my stupidity,” Liberatore said in the statement.

maladroid

In more positive news for the Dogs, Lin Jong to debut against the Tiges.
ZlYPj.jpg

To fill in the Asian representative hole left by Cammy Ling?

jambo

dTNJil.jpg

Friday August 10th
West Coast vs. Geelong @ Patersons Stadium

Saturday August 11th
St Kilda vs. Melbourne @ The MCG
Adelaide vs. Fremantle @ AAMI Stadium
Gold Coast vs. Greater Wester Sydney @ Metricon Stadium
Sydney vs. Collingwood @ ANZ Stadium
Carlton vs. Brisbane @ Etihad Stadium

Sunday August 12th
Hawthorn vs. Port Adelaide @ Aurora Stadium
Richmond vs. Western Bulldogs @ The MCG
Essendon vs. North Melbourne @ Etihad Stadium

Round 20 Teams

jambo

West Coast
St Kilda
Adelaide
Greater Western Sydney
Sydney
Carlton
Hawthorn
Richmond
North Melbourne

I'm very interested to see how Port will go this week with Hocking as the interim coach, could be a nice turn around like when Primus took aver at the end of 2010. Maybe wishful thinking...

maladroid

What a joke.

Absolute fucking disgrace this game's become.

On average, there was one free kick paid a minute for over 75% of a quarter's regulation minutes. Ludicrous.

Lachie007

Hey Tiges fan here. Frustrating year but our time is coming. Didnt know gaf had an AFL thread. I'm new around these parts.

eagles vs cats game. My god those umps, so terrible, that one guy just kept paying deliberate out of bounds. It was cray

maladroid

I just don't understand it. They say umps do it for face time on the telly, but why would you want your mug on the screen if it only highlights how completely and utterly incompetent you are at your job?

How many deliberate out of bounds were there? You'd think the AFL decided to switch to soccer rules for parts of that match.

If the players have an MRP, so should umps. They should get rubbed out for 6 weeks for bringing the game into disrepute.

Edit: Hi Lachie. Welcome! I tend to agree. All you need to do is learn how to close matches. Amount of losses under 2 or 3 (or 1) kicks this season has really cost you, but hopefully those instances will act as lessons to hold you in good stead for the future.

Dommo

AFL must be the only sport in the world where the interpretations on the rules change on a weekly basis.

Yeah I think the rules are just so subjective, even if they have clearly layed out laws. They can be interpreted in so many ways. It's kind of ridiculous. When that happens, obviously you're going to have everyone watching to call for their side. As such, no one watching is happy.

I've always said that watching AFL, everyone invested in the game is pissed off for the entire time, then at the end of the match, half of everyone remains pissed off (the losing team's supporters).

jambo

They say they don't have a "rule of the week," but it's pretty clear that they do =\

Also carn the Power, hang in there!

jambo

dTNJil.jpg

Friday August 17th
Geelong vs. St Kilda @ Etihad Stadium

Saturday August 18th
Essendon vs. Carlton @ The MCG
Greater Wester Sydney vs. Melbourne @ Manuka Oval
Fremantle vs. Richmond @ Patersons Stadium
Collingwood vs. Norht Melbourne @ Etihad Stadium
Brisbane vs. Adelaide @ The Gabba

Sunday August 19th
Port Adelaide vs. West Coast @ AAMI Stadium
Western Bulldogs vs. Sydney @ Etihad Stadium
Hwathorn vs. Gold Coast @ The MCG

Round 21 Teams

Yagharek

Essendon will be out of the 8 this week.

Geelong
Carlton
GWS
Fremantle
Collingwood
Adelaide
West Coast
Sydney
Hawthorn

Easy picks.

Ydahs

Saints season over :/

Will be interesting to see our team next year. Can't see Kosi continuing and Goddard's still no certainty.

RandonVince, I can't see bombers losing to my blues this week. Our back line is injury ravaged (who do we have to stop Hurley and Ryder) and our ruck stocks are again depleted with only Kruezer "fit" to play. No excuses but injuries have crippled what was looking to be a brilliant year. I loathe the bombers more than any other club and it would please me greatly if we could somehow win, but I just don't see it happening tomorrow. Not only will it mark the end of season 2012 for my beloved blues, but I fear it could signal the end of Ratts' coaching career. Personally I'd let him finish his contract out. Not be a typically arrogant blues supporter but with a fit team on the park I think we can go real far into finals next year. I'm hoping that the year we've had this year spurs the boys on to possibly a premiership next year. Here's hoping anyway...!:)

maladroid

No Jamison. Questionable form of Duigan and Tuohy. There's White, who 'kept' Brown to two goals. I don't think our defense has ever been a strength (this season). It's just that our forward pressure and midfield class tended to drain the supply to opposition forwards. On a positive note, our offensive structure looks much better than it did a month ago. Really good to see Waite on the field for us. I wonder how effective our midfield will be come this afternoon. I hope they can hold up.

Edit: Our ruck stocks were a problem against the Bulldogs and to a lesser extent North, where he didn't have a proper relief ruck. He still doesn't, but it's not like having all three of them available did us any good (see Port). The problem is we don't have an experienced forward/ruck. Hampson did a serviceable job, but he was a ruck/forward, at best. We just need somebody who can rotate in for Kreuzer when he needs a break who doesn't get absolutely smashed (so not Watson), while mainly playing another role. Levi might be the answer, but at the moment, the only thing he can do repeatedly is take a good contested mark. Thought it was absolutely hilarious that he had three behinds from set shots relatively in front, and then his first goal was from the sharpest angle he had a set shot from all night last week, though, haha.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
I think Carlton can give Essendon a decent game today. I didn't pick them to win but they've got a few key players back which should help a lot plus Essendon have been beyond shit at times in the last month of footy. I only give them the edge though due to their Adelaide performance a couple weeks ago.
Should be an interesting game if both turn up to play.

Edit: Looks like it's game on at the 'G.

Edit 2: As ridiculous as it sounds this percentage boost actually gives Carlton an unlikely chance of making the 8. Freo's own percent potential and the Saints game is all that's in the way really.

maladroid

I think Carlton can give Essendon a decent game today. I didn't pick them to win but they've got a few key players back which should help a lot plus Essendon have been beyond shit at times in the last month of footy. I only give them the edge though due to their Adelaide performance a couple weeks ago.
Should be an interesting game if both turn up to play.

Edit: Looks like it's game on at the 'G.

Edit 2: As ridiculous as it sounds this percentage boost actually gives Carlton an unlikely chance of making the 8. Freo's own percent potential and the Saints game is all that's in the way really.
Awesome awesome match. Always good to get a win against the Dons, but especially this time given what happened to Carrazzo and our season. Like I said, it's all I really wanted. Not much we can do about stopping Fremantle. Hope that Richmond can keep it close, North thrash em, and then maybe it'll be in our hands against the Saints.

Judd, Murphy, Carrazzo, Simpson, Robinson all playing at once. When's the last time that happened?

Waite, Walker, Betts and Garlett (in form) in the same forward line. Waite with 5!

Clearances, contests in our 50.. we almost seemed like the team we were at the start of the year. No Jamison, Henderson or Laidler means our backline isn't as strong (and today showed whenever they actually managed to get into their 50, there wasn't much resistance), but when the midfield is soaking up all of the pressure, it doesn't matter.

Casboult: Amazing goal from the boundary, 50m out. 20m straight in front? Behind. :\ Good to see him and Bell in the team, though.

Loved every second of it! Casboult is going to be a star, as is Bell. Geez we have missed Waite and in a few years looks like casboult could be his successor. There is NOTHING better than beating the dons. Nothing! To top it off we moved (temporarily) into the 8 and push them out! Perfect!

Yagharek

Can't fault Carlton today. As much as I hate Judd and think he is the dirtiest cheating player in the league, the side played well today. Casboult is the latest in a long line of realtive nobodies who play themselves into form against Essendon and go on to do big things.

Anyway, my general musings on the game, as cross posted from AusGAF:

Essendon can go and get fucked. I've had it with this team.

Losing is fine, but not even trying is inexcusable.

Unprofessional, undisciplined and insipid effort today. I'm done with them as of today.

This isn't sour grapes. Carlton won fair and square. Umpires gave Essendon more free kicks, some of them unjustified. What really shat me off was the twin 50 metre penalty incident and Dempsey throwing a wobbly at the umpire. OK, so the game wasnt going their way at that time, but that was just childish and showed a complete lack of class.

A few years ago I was disappointed in Essendon when they came 14th or whatever, and got pumped by West Coast with LeCras getting 12 goals. At least that year there was an occasional effort. This year showed that Essendon are happy to play excuses with injuries and rush back players when they aren't ready.
In my books, the only players who have consistently worked hard are Watson and Stanton and Fletcher, although Fletcher hanging around is a bad thing in some ways since it leads other defenders to be lazy bums and rely on him.

Best comment I read on bomberblitz today was this:

Changes for next week:
IN: Thompson
Out: Hird

In the end though, I'm done following them if they think this is an effort worth paying flight plan money for. They are heading in the general direction of Richmond and I expect nothing but mediocrity from them for years.

About the only thing that would get me interested in them again would be a 70% list clearout, with the exception of maybe 6 players (Watson, Zaka, Stanton, Ryder, Heppell, Hocking. Maaaaaybe Hurley.). Everyone else who is over 25 can get out, and they can play young kids for a few years even if it means wooden spoons. A rebuild is the only thing that could save them.

All this is weird: the season this year has been good to watch with lots of even sides playing good footy. A shame Essendon has no interest in even trying.

The blame lies entirely with Essendon, and given their complete apathy towards improvement its impossible to afford any more enthusiasm for the club.

maladroid

Loved every second of it! Casboult is going to be a star, as is Bell. Geez we have missed Waite and in a few years looks like casboult could be his successor. There is NOTHING better than beating the dons. Nothing! To top it off we moved (temporarily) into the 8 and push them out! Perfect!
Yup. As brief as it was, it happened:
yesssssss.png

Highlights for me were both Casboult efforts: 1. That goal. 2. That tackle on Dempsey (laughing my head off at the thought of our second biggest bloke chasing down their running back).

We've damaged their percentage enough that even two 10-goal wins in the next two weeks would see them unlikely to feature in the finals. :D 8 and 1 babyy!

Tommy Bell is a massive unit (for a midfielder). Subbed in, cracked into the contest enough to knock the wind out of Watson (who isn't a light figure, himself). Love him.

North v Freo is a massive game for us. With Richmond unable to win today, they've ended the Saints' season (meaning they wouldn't take any big risks in their last match, hopefully). I hope North thrash them. A lot more to play for if they lose tonight. So many things have to go right, but I hope they do, and that we have something to play for come the last day of the regular season.

Jebus

FINALS BOUND!!!! Can't bloody wait, there's nothing like going to see a final on a warm September afternoon.

Was very happy with the boys tonight especially with Wells / Adams / Grima missing! Ziebell breaking out of the middle and booting it 60m to Hansen who takes a great contested grab in the goal square was definitely a highlight. The other being the North cheersquad doing a parody of the stupid Coooolllliiiinnnnnggggwwwoooooddddd chant by chanting Kaaaannnggaarrooooosssss while there was 5 minutes left in the game :).

My only concern is that we play Etihad very very well, not as confident with taking on the Hawks/Collingwood/Geelong at the MCG though.

RD21_Defcon%281%29.jpg

maladroid

FINALS BOUND!!!! Can't bloody wait, there's nothing like going to see a final on a warm September afternoon.

Was very happy with the boys tonight especially with Wells / Adams / Grima missing! Ziebell breaking out of the middle and booting it 60m to Hansen who takes a great contested grab in the goal square was definitely a highlight. The other being the North cheersquad doing a parody of the stupid Coooolllliiiinnnnnggggwwwoooooddddd chant by chanting Kaaaannnggaarrooooosssss while there was 5 minutes left in the game :).

My only concern is that we play Etihad very very well, not as confident with taking on the Hawks/Collingwood/Geelong at the MCG though.

RD21_Defcon%281%29.jpg
Mate, your mob better do the job against the Dockers next week. Absolutely smash them, please.

Ydahs

Carlton were really good, but Essendon's performance today was unbelievably poor. Can't say more than RandomVince has, but I'll add that I think those injuries are finally getting to them. They're tank is clearly running out at this point in the season and it's not the first time they've had late season fadeaways. The weapon has backfired.

North Melbourne were brilliant today too. Collingwood kicked 4 goals in the first 15 minutes, but only 4 more for the remainder of the game. They have a ton of momentum on their side and should have 8 on the trot leading into the Elimination round.

maladroid

Carlton were really good, but Essendon's performance today was unbelievably poor. Can't say more than RandomVince has, but I'll add that I think those injuries are finally getting to them. They're tank is clearly running out at this point in the season and it's not the first time they've had late season fadeaways. The weapon has backfired.

North Melbourne were brilliant today too. Collingwood kicked 4 goals in the first 15 minutes, but only 4 more for the remainder of the game. They have a ton of momentum on their side and should have 8 on the trot leading into the Elimination round.
This is true, but I'll take it. You know something's wrong when the Brownlow medallist is kicking it right to your team. Trying to carry your entire team on your shoulders has to take its toll sometime, I guess. Dons looked absolutely clueless going forward (kicking to packs, out of bounds, to our team, etc). Their big ins were probably underdone. Their defence was in shambles after Fletcher left, too. I dunno how many 'free player in the goal square' goals we kicked, but I'm guessing there were a few. Don't think the Bombers' performance invalidates our own, though. First time in a long time we had a good 4-quarter performance, did some good clearance work, shaparded for each other, and looked genuinely dangerous up forward. Don't think we could've scored anywhere near that much a month ago, no matter how terrible the other side was.

4 goals up, and North's injuries in mind, I thought the Pies would have an easy night, but North proved me wrong. Hadn't clicked with me that the Pies kicked 1/2 their goals in 1/4. (Chris) Tarrant going back and forth between attack and defence, Dawes not hanging onto marks, Cloke getting balls delivered to his feet. Wonder if Swan would have made a difference. I reckon they can go deep, the Kangas. Look really good when they're on song.

fisheyes

You know what we haven't discussed in here yet? Dream Team. I have no idea who from here ended up in our league, and what teams they are, but there's four left going for the premiership - Ydahs' team (taking on Nick 'How am I a captain?' Maxwell) and mine (taking on Dr 'not actually a licensed practitioner' Dream Team). GAF Grand final incoming? Hopefully.

Were Westlo and Henry Riewoldt anyone from here?

jambo

dTNJil.jpg

Friday August 24th
Richmond vs. Essendon @ The MCG

Saturday August 25th
St Kilda vs. Greater Western Sydney @ Etihad Stadium
Port Adelaide vs. Brisbane @ AAMI Stadium
Sydney vs. Hawthorn @ The SCG
West Coast vs. Collingwood @ Patersons Stadium
Gold Coast vs. Carlton @ Metricon Stadium

Sunday August 26th
Geelong vs. Western Bulldogs @ Simonds Stadium
North Melbourne vs. Fremantle @ Etihad Stadium
Melbourne vs. Adelaide @ The MCG

Round 22 Teams

jambo

Richmond (20)
St Kilda
Brisbane
Sydney
West Coast
Carlton
Geelong
North Melbourne
Adelaide

I almost tipped Port this week, but I think we've just been so shambolic lately that we won't be able to put 4 quarters together. Swans vs. Hawks and Eagles vs. Pies will be great matches!

jambo

The AFL site is pumping up tonight's match, all about Essendon's last roll of the dice :lol They have no chance.

Yagharek

They cant beat Collingwood next week, and Richmond are in better form right now. Their last chance was three weeks ago.

Lachie007

Tiges played poorly and still won by 8 goals-should have been more like 15.

What happened bombers. Havent seen this kind of late season fade out since those richmond teams in the 90s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom