• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Afro-Germans during WWII

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Another thing HS and even college doesn't teach you... I had no idea there were black people in Germany before and during the Nazi occupation. An article I read years ago and now this Netflix documentary have opened my eyes to the fact that history is stranger and more nuanced than what our American educational system teaches.

Thurible

While this doesn't have to do with afro-germans during the Second World War, you may be interested to learn about the German American Bund. There were some Nazis and Nazi sympathizers in the U.S. during this time. There were rallies and camps families came to celebrate their german heritage, American citizenship, and generally support the Nazi party. People don't seem to know the Bund existed these days.

They were investigated by the FBI on at least a few occasions on accounts of possible espionage (and there were some spies). It was largely headed in Milwaukee and (I believe) NYC.

mms_field_enterprises_bx_136_fl_2078_photo_01_01_o2.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

main_900.jpg

nikolino840

While this doesn't have to do with afro-germans during the Second World War, you may be interested to learn about the German American Bund. There were some Nazis and Nazi sympathizers in the U.S. during this time. There were rallies and camps families came to celebrate their german heritage, American citizenship, and generally support the Nazi party. People don't seem to know the Bund existed these days.

They were investigated by the FBI on at least a few occasions on accounts of possible espionage (and there were some spies). It was largely headed in Milwaukee and (I believe) NYC.

mms_field_enterprises_bx_136_fl_2078_photo_01_01_o2.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

main_900.jpg
I go OT too...Sorry op... Comes in my mind the BUF . British Union of Fascist

-----

But tomorrow i take a look on Netflix if theres this doc. too (Netflix Italy) thanx OP

Last edited:

JordanN

Banned
Can you imagine being black and Jewish in Nazi Germany? Horrible.
How common where Black Jews in Germany to begin with?

The most famous/prominent Blacks Jews I can think of where the ones living in Ethiopia.

It was only Hitler's ally, the Italians, who had came in contact with them, but they weren't met with extermination.

In 1935, armed forces of the Kingdom of Italy, headed by the fascist leader Benito Mussolini, invaded and occupied Ethiopia. Ethiopia officially surrendered in 1936.

The Italian regime showed hostility towards the Jews of Ethiopia. The racial laws which were enacted in Italy were also applied to Italian East Africa. Mussolini attempted to reach an agreement with Britain which would recognize Italian East Africa, during which Mussolini proposed to solve the "Jewish problem" in Europe and in Palestine by resettling the Jews in the north-west Ethiopian districts of Gojjam and Begemder, along with the Beta Israel community.[102][103

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
How many would associate afro-germans and WW2? I assume most HS classes focus on the basics and yes that could be wrong, so I agree with the OP.

The common myth that muh nazi germany was racis is only 1% of the full story. It was absolutely not racist towards blacks. The racial extermination mantra only applied to Slavs and Jews because they were seen as the premier internal and external threats.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
The common myth that muh nazi germany was racis is only 1% of the full story. It was absolutely not racist towards blacks. The racial extermination mantra only applied to Slavs and Jews because they were seen as the premier internal and external threats.

I'd love to read more on this. Given the subject matter, I'd probably be in for a good read this weekend.

Well it helps to start with Hitler's own opinions on the subject. Jews this, bolsheviks that. Nary an unkind word toward anyone else. He exhibits profound admiration for the Arabs, French and British.

Find some reading material via your favourite search engine.

Last edited:

Dontero

Banned
Pretty much like you said above.

Germans didn't hate everyone. They particularly hated jews.
As for slavs they were not really targeted they were just on land which Germany wanted to take thus their plans on effectively enslaving them.

They didn't have issues with working with arabs etc. Which is why they for example allied themselves with japanese.

Top Bottom