• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

After the Oculus Facebookaton, does Sony have an opportunity to target...

Raistlin

If the final version doesn't use HDMI, but uses wireless whatever, we may have a problem. More likely, we will have a problem getting accelerational data out of it over USB (need drivers) and tracking the lights with a PS Eye (need drivers).
Yes, it will need drivers certainly. But that is not typically an issue. Or isn't one long term.

As for wireless though, that shouldn't be an issue either. Sony can't go back in time and change the PS4. It stills has the same I/O it launched with. Any wireless solution would hook up to the PS4 HDMI and then transmit to Morpheus. In other words, it would work with any HDMI. Granted a wireless solution would likely cap resolution, but I don't believe OR is looking to do anything beyond Morpheus in that regard anyway?

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Durante said:
As far as I understood every talk on VR/HMDs and low persistence which I've seen, you need to match framerate to refresh rate for it to work.
As long as refresh-blinking is above eye-treshold, not sure why framerate being the same would make a difference.
Obviously it's not arbitrary - uneven ratios will judder, and higher-framerate can impact temporal resolution on its own, but afaik the cause is different than hold&modify blurring (ie. brains do temporal-upsampling so more data=more clarity), but it should be perfectly viable to keep them different.

Of course - legacy support is pretty much inevitable once you start iterating such a device as well (in fact I can't help but think that these devices will inevitably benefit from variable refresh support - games have been chasing fixed fps for 40years and still fail more often than not...).

Tagyhag

No, First and foremost they're going to want to get a foothold with the PS4 audience, then branch to PC or other applications.

Even if they wanted to branch to the PC right now, they couldn't use Morpheus.

Morpheus is going to be limited by the PS4 hardware, so they wouldn't have any reason to make it with high refresh rates or use expensive screens. That and you'd have to make new revisions to keep up with the rapidly changing PC hardware market.

If they do come to PC one day, I assume it'll either be a version not usable by the PS4, or a version usable by the PS5.

There is no way that Sony makes VR for the PC. Not even a remote chance. It really surprises me how this is plausible to so many here.
How can you be so sure? Playstation Now service is going to be open to PC isn't it?

Honestly it would be smart of them to cater to PC as well. PS4 is going to sell in droves regardless, people who want consoles will buy it even if they make PM compatible with PC. Console and PC markets are not the same, they won't be cannibalizing PS4 sales by doing this, only increasing their market reach.

Phil4000

Getting ahead of ourselves aren't we? Sure facebook is a company we all love to hate, but nothing tells me they're going to ruin Oculus or even significantly alter the plan already set out by the Oculus team going forward.

Where's the doom and gloom even coming from? If facebook's capital helps the team carve out a bigger part of the market than they previously could, that's fucking great. Having facebook back you up means incredible things for independent developer who were on the fence when it came to VR.

This is exactly what I was thinking. Instead of VR being a niche for years due to expensive hardware, with only a small portion of developers making VR games (similar to how only a handful of devs supported Kinect/Move), the adoption of VR has now has the potential to explode with popularity, if this deal can help attract developer/media interest...

And if Oculus ends up going in a direction we aren't fond of its not like it will be the only VR headset around.
I am sure Valve and Razer will eventually develop their own VR headsets for the PC market.

HaNks

Banned
No, First and foremost they're going to want to get a foothold with the PS4 audience, then branch to PC or other applications.

Even if they wanted to branch to the PC right now, they couldn't use Morpheus.

Morpheus is going to be limited by the PS4 hardware, so they wouldn't have any reason to make it with high refresh rates or use expensive screens. That and you'd have to make new revisions to keep up with the rapidly changing PC hardware market.

If they do come to PC one day, I assume it'll either be a version not usable by the PS4, or a version usable by the PS5.

yup, but this is a pretty big deal, a really big deal, when we're talking about VR. sony will have their market and hopefully create some amazing console experiences, but compared to what the CV1 rift will likely be...nah. i'm shocked to read so many posts proclaiming that oculus 'can't compete with sony' (extremely wishful thinking) when nobody has much idea what their final hardware will target. like you say, being tied to the PS4 will dictate a lot of that.

not a pc master race comment just looking at the (virtual) reality here ;]

Morpheus wont be on PC. Heres why: the PS4 model will be heavily subsidized. Sony will profit on software sales. If they made a PC model, it would have to be full price since they won't get a cut from software. So they either lose tons of money on people who only use it for PC, or cut the subsidy and try to sell a $600 device. Both are bad for Sony.

I think this first cut will be PS4 only, with PC support coming later. People will hack it, of course.

yup, but this is a pretty big deal, a really big deal, when we're talking about VR. sony will have their market and hopefully create some amazing console experiences, but compared to what the CV1 rift will likely be...nah. i'm shocked to read so many posts proclaiming that oculus 'can't compete with sony' (extremely wishful thinking) when nobody has much idea what their final hardware will target. like you say, being tied to the PS4 will dictate a lot of that.

not a pc master race comment just looking at the (virtual) reality here ;]
We'll have to see, but you have to remember that Sony is one of the leading electronics manufacturers in the world, while Facebook is a software company and Oculus is a startup. In terms of hardware design and manufacturing on a large scale, i think Sony still has a leg up.

HaNks

Banned
We'll have to see, but you have to remember that Sony is one of the leading electronics manufacturers in the world, while Facebook is a software company and Oculus is a startup. In terms of hardware design and manufacturing on a large scale, i think Sony still has a leg up.

sho nuff, but at the same time oculus has already been making devices at a reasonable scale (now the DK2) and supposedly have the hardware nailed down for the consumer version. sony have shown a prototype and produced non-VR headsets in the past, at a much higher price.

i don't want it to seem like a competition because it looks like they'll target different gaming markets, but i'm personally looking for the best VR experience available. the tech specs really really matter here, though reports were that morpheus was impressive. would love to try it as the DK1 rift is pretty bad and more a proof of concept than anything.

Isurus

Of course! Everybody at Sony must now be thinking "Yeah let's actively avoid being the main driver of what is potentially the next big platform". Why not? Makes total sense.

Hell I bet that now no other company will even try approaching the PC VR scene. At least not now that the big bad boogeyman Facebook decided to step in!

When did I say that? There is a difference between opportunity and company strategy. I'm sure they aren't saying that. What I'm saying is that now their biggest competitor has a lot more capital. Of course that will make things more challenging.

Top Bottom