• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Age of Empires 4 announced, made by Relic (Dawn of War/Homeworld/Company of Heroes)

Toni

Made by Relic you say!?

lEEHS79.gif

ALL OVER MY FACE

Nere

Very interesting but what period will it take place in? The trailer shows like all periods, maybe it will be like empire earth? With multiple historic ages?

Relic is a mere shadow of their former selves.

I'm not expecting much, especially after how Company of Heroes 2 and Dawn of War III turned out.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Relic Games said:
1997 gave us two things that shaped who we are today: the start of Relic Entertainment; and a then-newly released game called Age of Empires. It’s no secret that we’re the biggest fans of RTS games and, over the years, we’ve spent countless hours building empires and taking to battle.

We wonder what our team would have said way back then, if someone told us that Relic would eventually partner with Microsoft Studios to make the next game in that legendary series. Something tells us we might have been just determined enough to think, “yeah, of course we will!”

Now that the dream has become a reality with the announcement of Age of Empires IV, we couldn’t be more proud to be a part of the legacy. We can’t wait to tap into our strengths as a studio to fuse historical context with deep strategic gameplay, and to bring this franchise back to the forefront of gaming and into the hands of its beloved community.
http://www.relic.com/#news/8349

Laiza

Man, people doubting Relic on account of DoW III is really getting to me at this point.

DoW III is a fine RTS. It's not what people wanted, but it's a fine game that will only get better over time. I see little reason to be worried over how AoE IV will turn out (especially since this is pretty much a commissioned work from Microsoft).

Rockk

I really hope it's based on medieval/renaissance period that AoE 2 is based on. Never liked the idea of a World War 2 era Age of Empires game.

For everyone that's asking about where to start the best place is probably Age of Empires 2 HD. $20 gets you the game and the original expansion.The three newer expansions are pretty good but you can play it piecemeal and be fine. Especially if you just stick with the campaigns. Which are actually quite good and quite challenging sometimes.

derFeef

Man, people doubting Relic on account of DoW III is really getting to me at this point.

DoW III is a fine RTS. It's not what people wanted, but it's a fine game that will only get better over time. I see little reason to be worried over how AoE IV will turn out (especially since this is pretty much a commissioned work from Microsoft).

Yeah and the thing is, relic has much freedom with what they want to do with DoW but I think Age of Empires is a different thing, plus they partner with Microsoft and I doubt they let them swing far away from what the core of this is.

Glad that Age of Empires 4 is coming out but Relic making it makes me hesitant about gettting it.

This. I'm glad that there's a seasoned RTS dev making it (goodness knows there aren't many of those left), but I'm not quite sure if the few-buildings-and-mostly-micro-heavy style of RTSes that Relic's made (this was certainly the case for both CoH games) is quite suited for the AoE franchise. Will have to see how it turns out, but I'm definitely glad the game is being made. I'm definitely keeping my eye on this one :D.

And what about Company of Heroes 2 then?

Villagers? Only in the dark ages, once your Econ is going your mostly just grabbing a bunch and building a resource camp. The main challenge of the game is managing small skirmish forces, an economy, a main force all at the same time. You won't see Cav archer micro in Imperial age, unless you're Daut

the early game decisions are the most important ones. you just don't notice it when both of the players play well for the first 20 mins

anyways, my point is not to argue about what you think you need to focus on. i'm just saying that the game engines and user interface and level of precision of AoE has a lot more in common with relic's games than creative assembly's games

i know both of the devs suck at designing games nowadays. i'll just be happy if i get some sort of aoe clone in an engine that doesn't suck and a dev that actually balances the game for competitive play

the aoe2 remake failed miserably because the engine was basically the same piece of crap, and they didn't really fix the game for multiplayer

tomasdk

This is certainly interesting but after DoW3 I'll first wait to see how this turns out and more importantly, no sale either way if it stays only on the Windows store.

Relic use to be a top tier RTS developer. They were really pushing innovation with every new game they released. Now, they are simply rehashing the old and copying what everyone else is doing these days.

Dawn of War III being fine is just lame. It should be more than fine, it should get excited people on the level of something like Star Craft.

With Microsoft's current situation with exclusives and them giving a mention of this announcement at the Xbox conference, I'm guessing a few people expected an Xbox version of AoE 4 to be announced.....

Xbox One can't catch a break at the moment, even when it's a Microsoft game.

Looking forward to this though, not played AoE in a long time, hopefully the new game will be worth the wait.

DryvBy

I've never played an Age of Empire game, but I've always heard great things about them. Where's a good jumping in point?

Get AOE2 on Steam, learn the basics, and do some skirmish matches. I've put in 70 hours just in skirmish.

Best played with a friend or two though.

So if you didn't like AoE in the first place, what did you want?

I like them, but I'd grab Warcraft 3 over any Age of game any day, I actually played a lot of Age 2 from 2000 to 2002 but there's never been a single year where I didn't play WC3 for an entire month since release, I've played Mythology, 3, 2 HD, etc when they come out, but I play them a while and then forget they exist until I uninstall them, WC3 is always installed at any time on my PC

And that wasn't even the point of my post, I don't trust Relic with this, they have to prove they can still make RTS' that aren't a mess or divide fans for me to even consider AoE4

crazyprac

I'm excited as hell for a new AoE, but relic? I'll give them benefit of a doubt. Man only concept art? This going to be a long wait...

Nzyme32

Love Relic, but this will be quite a change from their sort of RTS, unless they intend to really shake up AoE - which I doubt. I'd take a guess this is Win10 store only which makes it a nope from me. Still, hope its good and does well and there can be more of AoE in all its old glory and style of play.

Drinkel

Relic is kind of a weird fit. But I guess there aren't really any large studio alternatives outside of maybe Eugen and Petroglyph. It will be interesting to see traditional it will be. Excited to know more.

I've been itching for an RTS so it's pretty exciting to hear this is coming, just want a classic RTS without esports involved.

It's being made by Relic, look at the mess that's Dawn of War 3 because of e-sports, look how hard MS pushed e-sports back in E3 and think really hard what's going to happen to AoE4

Top Bottom