• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Age of Empires 4 announced, made by Relic (Dawn of War/Homeworld/Company of Heroes)

Laiza

If only the masses knew that they turned a beloved RTS genre title in dawn of war into a giant casual moba with extra rts elements thrown in.
It's one thing to not like the game, but it's entirely another to blatantly lie about things like this.

The game is not a fucking moba. Stop that.
And what about Company of Heroes 2 then?
To my knowledge the most maligned aspect of CoH 2 is their DLC policy, something completely absent from DoW III. I suspect they learned from their mistakes there.
Relic use to be a top tier RTS developer. They were really pushing innovation with every new game they released. Now, they are simply rehashing the old and copying what everyone else is doing these days.

Dawn of War III being fine is just lame. It should be more than fine, it should get excited people on the level of something like Star Craft.
I find it odd that you'd say they're "rehashing the old" considering they swerved away from just doing DoW I or DoW II again. Even when it comes to "copying" the only thing they copied is the progression of matches from MOBA-style games, as otherwise it plays like a standard resource point-oriented RTS, but now with new super units and escalation phases added to the mix.

That being said, it's obvious they recognize that the new game mode didn't win them any favors with the addition of Annihilation and all that. I suspect many of the complaints will be addressed by the time the next expansion rolls around. I also suspect that none of this will be an issue for Age of Empires, as it's obvious they revere the series and aren't going to do much to shake up the formula.

IpKaiFung

DoW3 isnt a moba, most mobas are somewhat enjoyable to play.

DoW3 was an utter mistake and I wish I could slap the guy who green lighted that piece of shit.

It is easily the worst game they have ever made and I'm a huge Relic fan. For all its faults DoW2 is easily a better game than DoW3

Holy shit this is unexpected! Age of Empires II was my favorite PC game. I'm actually going to have to get a gaming rig for this.

Sibylus

Banned
Excited! Thankful that MS paid attention to all the hungry folk latching onto anything AoE.

Relic has it in them to make a better Age game than 3, which was decent.

Tevious

So why did they shut down ensemble studios again?

The reasons stated at the time was because Microsoft was focusing their game division on Xbox back then and pulling out of the PC gaming market. Ensemble Studios was a PC developer and their only experience with consoles was Halo Wars.

frontovik

Banned
Loved Relic for their work on vanilla Company of Heroes and the original Dawn of War games ...

After that, not so much. And their failures with DoW 3 was disappointing. Hoping that AoE IV won't be a disaster.

I'm probably in a severe minority in this, but I thought AoE:Online was OK (but came out too soon, before people were worth paying for F2P games). While I wouldn't advocate for another F2P game, I'd like some of that persistence and customization that that game had.

Cramoss

EJAWa5K.gif

Three

Wow I'm so hyped for this that I feel like posting this to all my old AoE buddies.Somewhat scared they will microtransaction the hell out of it too though.

Proelite

I kind of found the entire event insulting. Age of Empires was one of the first proper games I ever played, I genuinely feel like I've grown up with the franchise and, aside from three, count them amongst my favourite games of all time. As the stream progressed on and on I just felt more sickened by Microsoft, who were ultimately responsible for killing the franchise and Ensemble Studios along with it, acting as if they've been supporting this thriving community, despite not releasing a new game in the franchise in twelve years! The sheer audacity of the whole thing was breathtaking. Shannon Loftis was at pains to say that the franchise is alive because of the fans - which is absolutely true - but it is equally true to say that the franchise is alive despite Microsoft, who have the gall to turn up here and act as if there hasn't been a twelve year gap between the release of Age of Empires III and the announcement of Age of Empires IV. Microsoft realised there was a way to get people to pay for Age of Empires again, not just twice, apparently, as they're now offering definitive editions of recently remastered games. That's the only reason any of this is happening and, frankly, that gives me no confidence in what comes next.

The presenters were, if it's even possible, more obnoxious than during yesterday's Xbox focused stream. I have no idea whether these people are genuine Age of Empires fans or not, but their enthusiasm certainly seemed faked if not absurdly exaggerated. Why the hell can't they pronounce wololo correctly? Have they never actually heard it in game? I'm no fan of Graeme Boyd but damn if he isn't made to look capable by his two colleagues that conspired to make this practically unwatchable. If it wasn't for the mini documentary videos that broke up the cringe inducing live event, I'm not sure if I could have made it to the end, even with the tantalising prospect of a new Age of Empires being announced.

We get to the end of the event and indeed it is what we've all been waiting for... but I just can't help but feel Age of Empires IV is going to be the latest in a series of abominations attached to the franchise along with Online and Castle Siege. I'm not a fan of Relic, and I'm even less a fan of Microsoft as a publisher. They managed to make an unreal mess of Halo Wars 2, despite playing it laughably safe. More than anything though, just how early is this production? What happened to Microsoft and not announcing things too early? Despite my reservations about Microsoft as a publisher, I'd feel a lot happier if this was being developed in house. Microsoft need to bolster their first party, and their record with getting third parties to develop their IPs is atrocious. Everything about this idea seems remniscent of Halo Wars 2 being given to Creative Assembly, who either didn't have any interesting ideas of what to do with it or simply weren't allowed to do anything interesting with it.

There was a part of me that felt euphoric as it became clear that Age of Empires IV was going to be announced, but the more I ponder it the more I feel like this is going to damage the franchise rather than revive it. No-one wants to be proven wrong more than me but, at the same time, I can't muster any excitement right now.

Is this a parody post? Sorry link me to the original.

Kevin

I’m worried that they didn’t think the game is good enough to show gameplay...

I am hoping that it's just way too early for any real gameplay footage but yeah I do have a bad feeling about this one. They probably are not putting much money/effort into this release. Hopefully I'm wrong!

Laiza

DoW3 isnt a moba, most mobas are somewhat enjoyable to play.

DoW3 was an utter mistake and I wish I could slap the guy who green lighted that piece of shit.

It is easily the worst game they have ever made and I'm a huge Relic fan. For all its faults DoW2 is easily a better game than DoW3
Wow, okay. That's going a bit far. You do you, and all that, but I enjoyed DoW III (best campaign in the series so far IMO) and am still looking forward to seeing what they do next, so, eh.
I’m worried that they didn’t think the game is good enough to show gameplay...
I am hoping that it's just way too early for any real gameplay footage but yeah I do have a bad feeling about this one. They probably are not putting much money/effort into this release. Hopefully I'm wrong!
Jumping to conclusions. It's just early days yet. And there is zero indication that the game is not getting money or effort put into it at this point, come on!

Jumping to conclusions. It's just early days yet. And there is zero indication that the game is not getting money or effort put into it at this point, come on!
There is indication, we got a “trailer”, not marketed as a teaser, that’s just like a series of still images unrelated to what will be seen in the game, with a voiceover that doesn’t say anything specific about the game. It’s supposed to be an announcement trailer, but they didn’t announce anything but the name. As for “it’s just early days yet”, they didn’t give any hint of a release date, so we don’t know that. If this is a game barely started development, not coming out for a couple years, then why announce it now?

Laiza

There is indication, we got a ”trailer", not marketed as a teaser, that's just like a series of still images unrelated to what will be seen in the game, with a voiceover that doesn't say anything specific about the game. It's supposed to be an announcement trailer, but they didn't announce anything but the name. As for ”it's just early days yet", they didn't give any hint of a release date, so we don't know that. If this is a game barely started development, not coming out for a couple years, then why announce it now?
Because they wanted to have something big to announce on the 20th anniversary?

I mean, I think that's a pretty good reason to show something, even if the game isn't ready to actually be shown.

Rhoc

I'm so ready to dive into a Rts again. The last one was Age of mythology I think. 15 years that's a long time.

spiritfox

I think a timeline from the end of the Napoleonic Wars to the end of WWII would be a good timeframe. You start with stone fortifications, moving through trench warfare (imagine building a 5 deep trench complex with MG nests and command centers) then ending with trench busting mobile tanks and atomic weapons (the new trebuchet). I would prefer them going back to antiquity but many games tend to ignore the period between the Napoleonic Wars and WWII (other than the Civil War) so it'll be a change of pace. Plus it was literally the Age of Imperialism.

Iorv3th

The reasons stated at the time was because Microsoft was focusing their game division on Xbox back then and pulling out of the PC gaming market. Ensemble Studios was a PC developer and their only experience with consoles was Halo Wars.

But Halo Wars sold really well and it was only on 360 at the time. They didn't do a PC port until recently. Surely they could have had other stuff for these guys to do. But they closed the studio down before Halo Wars was even released which just seems rather odd.

Especially considering the pedigree of the studio and how many sales their titles got. Even AoE3 sold over 2 million copies.

Bsigg12

There is indication, we got a “trailer”, not marketed as a teaser, that’s just like a series of still images unrelated to what will be seen in the game, with a voiceover that doesn’t say anything specific about the game. It’s supposed to be an announcement trailer, but they didn’t announce anything but the name. As for “it’s just early days yet”, they didn’t give any hint of a release date, so we don’t know that. If this is a game barely started development, not coming out for a couple years, then why announce it now?

It's the 20 year anniversary of the first game and they did a special event to celebrate that. Pretty much the perfect place to announce that II and III are getting Definitive Editions and that they're starting work on IV.

The pessimist/realist in me will pass when this gets 70 on metacritc when it comes out in 2021, but I am also cautiosly optimistic that MS knows how big a deal AoE is, and that they do everything they can to make this game excellent.

A bit strange to reveal it with just an art collage, after Phil has stated he doesn't want to reveal titles too early, but maybe they had to reveal something.

Time will tell.

I kind of found the entire event insulting. Age of Empires was one of the first proper games I ever played, I genuinely feel like I've grown up with the franchise and, aside from three, count them amongst my favourite games of all time. As the stream progressed on and on I just felt more sickened by Microsoft, who were ultimately responsible for killing the franchise and Ensemble Studios along with it, acting as if they've been supporting this thriving community, despite not releasing a new game in the franchise in twelve years! The sheer audacity of the whole thing was breathtaking. Shannon Loftis was at pains to say that the franchise is alive because of the fans - which is absolutely true - but it is equally true to say that the franchise is alive despite Microsoft, who have the gall to turn up here and act as if there hasn't been a twelve year gap between the release of Age of Empires III and the announcement of Age of Empires IV. Microsoft realised there was a way to get people to pay for Age of Empires again, not just twice, apparently, as they're now offering definitive editions of recently remastered games. That's the only reason any of this is happening and, frankly, that gives me no confidence in what comes next.

The presenters were, if it's even possible, more obnoxious than during yesterday's Xbox focused stream. I have no idea whether these people are genuine Age of Empires fans or not, but their enthusiasm certainly seemed faked if not absurdly exaggerated. Why the hell can't they pronounce wololo correctly? Have they never actually heard it in game? I'm no fan of Graeme Boyd but damn if he isn't made to look capable by his two colleagues that conspired to make this practically unwatchable. If it wasn't for the mini documentary videos that broke up the cringe inducing live event, I'm not sure if I could have made it to the end, even with the tantalising prospect of a new Age of Empires being announced.

We get to the end of the event and indeed it is what we've all been waiting for... but I just can't help but feel Age of Empires IV is going to be the latest in a series of abominations attached to the franchise along with Online and Castle Siege. I'm not a fan of Relic, and I'm even less a fan of Microsoft as a publisher. They managed to make an unreal mess of Halo Wars 2, despite playing it laughably safe. More than anything though, just how early is this production? What happened to Microsoft and not announcing things too early? Despite my reservations about Microsoft as a publisher, I'd feel a lot happier if this was being developed in house. Microsoft need to bolster their first party, and their record with getting third parties to develop their IPs is atrocious. Everything about this idea seems remniscent of Halo Wars 2 being given to Creative Assembly, who either didn't have any interesting ideas of what to do with it or simply weren't allowed to do anything interesting with it.

There was a part of me that felt euphoric as it became clear that Age of Empires IV was going to be announced, but the more I ponder it the more I feel like this is going to damage the franchise rather than revive it. No-one wants to be proven wrong more than me but, at the same time, I can't muster any excitement right now.
The event was awful and the only reason why we are seeing this is because of the fans and a timeless games. I won't deny that but there is a couple of points I'd like to argue.
In the last years MS has been supporting the community since AoE2 HD launched (forgotten empires were even modders), there was even new expansions for it and Mithologies, and that content has been developers alongside the community. Certainly support was not the best as fixing patches took way more time than it should have. MS also has sponsored AoE tournaments as you can see if you follow ZeroEmpires and T90.
I think this is another case of a game announced too early but, unlike the xbox project, these has a seasoned developer on a stablished franchise and and with the time to be filled with remasters. So, I don't think that announcing the game too early is bad in this case. Actually I would like to see the game being developed with user feedback.

daman824

Even if the aoe4 was announced early, it at least seems like Microsoft will have a steady stream of new content until it launches with remakes to all 3 past aoe games coming out

longdi

Banned
As someone with 100 of hours in coh1/2, i think the present relic is not as talented as the old.

Their last 2 games are not as inventive(they just discarded the coldtech totally) and too focused on esports wannabe, besides their launch states left a lot to desire.

Coh2 had a more cartoony engine, physics were not as ground breaking, smaller maps, faster pace, less unit stats, more homogeneous abilities and of course dlc load out to grind/pay for.

Thankfully they managed to fix coh2 over the years. Dow3 wasnt so lucky, then again dow3 felt unsalvageable from the beta i tried.

Hopefully MS will infuse them with more talents

sibarraz

Banned
It's the 20 year anniversary of the first game and they did a special event to celebrate that. Pretty much the perfect place to announce that II and III are getting Definitive Editions and that they're starting work on IV.

What, II and III are getting definitive editions?

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
I really hope that this turns out to be something great. It's hard to believe that it's been nearly a decade since The Asian Dynasties was released.

Lunaray

Very cautiously optimistic. I remember feeling the exact same euphoria when EA announced a new SimCity game after a similarly long haitus.

This is probably what a lot of us want. We can only hope.
I am preparing for the worst- free to play, pay to win, and a few heroes instead of larger armies.

Man I loved AOE2. I competed in a lot of tournaments and won money back in my teens. It was the best I have been ot ever will be at a multiplayer game.

Top Bottom