• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Agents of Mayhem," Volition's new AAA game reveal trailer

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
So they bought Volition and then the Saint's Row IP in order to not make a Saint's Row game? I don't get it.

HaL64

CkSlcJlWEAEh51v.jpg:large

You are doing exactly what they wanted you to do. :)

If you've played any Volition game before, you'll probably be able to know exactly how this game plays and looks.

So it's a Day-1 for me.

I'm not sure about the trailer. There's also not enough revealed to really comment or go on. However, since I loved their last two games, as well as the first Saints Row, I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt and hope for good things.

Hopefully we'll see a lot at E3.

Zukkoyaki

So they bought Volition and then the Saint's Row IP in order to not make a Saint's Row game? I don't get it.
They released Saint's Row 4 in addition to next-gen ports and Gat Out of Hell.

Volition is also a pretty large studio at around 300 people, I wouldn't be at all surprised if some people were already working on SRV

Soltype

I feel like volition is trolling with this trailer.So much of it feels like a parody of the current games landscape.We'll see at e3 .

TissueBox

The trailer does seem deliberately kitschy, a sliver pointed. Their writing in SRIV in particular became a bona fide game industry parody exhibit (that traded in the edge of GTA for a more gung-ho warmth) filled with real wit, temerity, and yes, plenty of unfunny cringe. Not everybody's cup of tea -- but for me, if Agents of Mayhem can pull off something just as chewy, then I'm in.

If this was, like, a fictional game in the actual SRV universe and is in fact a part of a kind-of clever marketing carpet-pull, that would be even better since, well...it's a world that eventually grew on me and I'm just biased, really, lol. But I guess a shift to a new IP is the more creatively productive option.

dreamfall

Here's hoping it's awesome. I felt like pulling away from Saints Row 2, the games had a lot of fun just being over the top and ridiculous. I just hope that even with the three characters we pick, we can still customize the hell out of them. That was the best part about Saints.

TripOpt55

To my surprise, I ended up having a blast with Saints Row IV. I only skimmed through this trailer to be honest (4 minutes of CG is a bit much!), but I think it could be fun.

Pro:

Volition is making another superhero game, and at first glance appears to be just as full of nonsense and self-parody as you'd expect

Con:

This trailer feels like a 90s toy commercial version of Overwatch

Mr. Tibbs

Well they have a new lead writer (Jason Blair) as Steve Jaros is not with the company any more. Jason apparently helped write Saints Row 4 and the expansions, but that's it with Volition thus far. His previous video game work is script revising for Prey and "story development - full script" for Conduit 2.

He was also the narrative director for Prey 2, but obviously his work for that project never saw the light of day.

tw1164

I have a nagging feeling that Crackdown 3 is going to be disappointing. This looks like it could be fun, maybe this will be my next Crackdown game.

TissueBox

Well they have a new lead writer (Jason Blair) as Steve Jaros is not with the company any more. Jason apparently helped write Saints Row 4 and the expansions, but that's it with Volition thus far. His previous video game work is script revising for Prey and "story development - full script" for Conduit 2.

Oh sh*t this I did not know. Well, hopefully we get to see a taste of what he could bring to the table soon, then.

Sojgat

In Volition I trust. Though some of their recent efforts have been a little disappointing, they have yet to make a bad game.

Elixist

uhh, i think you should drop the CG trailer and gameplay at the same time. cuz i cant get hyped over that, but its volition so it might be a flawed gem gameplay wise.

Slashlen

I don't care that it's CG, but damn that was an awful, unfunny, long boring trailer. It feels like it's trying way too hard to be funny and cool, and it's not working.

I guess if anything, the fact that it's all CG gives me hope that the actual game is nothing like this and the trailer was made by some group of people who don't know how to replicate the humor. I have some faith in Volition after SR, but it's despite this trailer.

I know Volition has made some solid, established-character games before, but I dunno about this one.

I mean, if you're gonna lean this hard on a series that kinda establishes itself on you having full agency in making your own character, saying "you can pick 3 of 12 guys!" doesn't really cut it?

Like, at worst (and jumping to a whole lot of conclusions from just a CG trailer), it looks like futuristic Saints Row IV with more robots and less aliens. And less customization :/

I dunno. I'll keep track of this, but not anywhere near as much as I would a new Saints Row.

Was so hoping they would take a departure from Saints Row for a while.

This looks very similar. But colorful - and I like that!

Yikes, took what I didn't like about SR4 and blew it up into another game. Hopefully they have another team working on the real sequel to SR2.

You and me both, really hope the next saints row we get goes back to it's roots

I remember there was a rumor a couple months back that they was taking the over the top crazy from SR3-onwards and making it it's own game while taking the next saints row back to it's roots. I really hope it's true

I like the aesthetic and all, and knowing it's Volition, I'm sure they'll deliver the goods. Saints Row 3 and 4 were an absolute blast. Can't wait for gameplay footage.

Gorillaz

Trailer was a bit longer then it needed to be at leas for a first look. Should have been a quick 60 like most.

Assuming its going to be SR like in the open world nature of it. Other then that I don't know what this is.

J_Viper

If all you have to show is pre-rendered bullshit, just don't.

I'll wait for a proper gameplay reveal. I'm optimistic to see what Volition has been working on, given how long it's been SR4.

"A street gang? Hardly."

All those Saints Row wink-nudge without actually being it is weird.

Premade characters instead of a character creation kinda bums me out.

Top Bottom