• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alabama cops systematically framed blacks by planting drugs and guns since mid 1990s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Truly detestable. Kudos to the cops that tried to stop it but man, super depressing. I have quite a few friends that post Facebook memes that basically say "oh don't want the cops coming after you? Don't do crimes!!!!!" so I'll post this on my wall.

I feel awful for the families whose lives have been ruined for almost two decades due to this nonsense.

Ive had family members tell me the same. I get where theyre coming from, but things dont work as well as people hope. Shit, ive had a gun drawn on me once for sitting in a place with a large homeless population after getting off work and having a walkie talkie in my pocket

kirby_fox

Banned
This is only the case where proof is available. This problem has existed in many states.

Sadly without proof, it's very difficult to do much about when superiors are in on it. I hope this proof sends a message across the country and we get some whistleblowers coming out or something.

And there better be something coming from this...these people should be in jail for this for all the years they took away from innocent people.

pyros

A black persons birth certificate might as well have a separate column, please choose your preferred crime

MJPIA

Was curious, decided to do a search of Doug Valeska and welll

http://henrycountyreport.com/blog/2...-d-day-on-oct-2-with-state-ethics-commission/
Despite Doug Valeska’s behind the scene pleas to local media across to not report on the state’s investigation into his office, he is headed toward a day of reckoning with the state ethics commission next Friday.
In 1986 Tom Sorrells was one of the Wiregrass’s most successful and ethical district attorneys. Known for hard work, brutal self honesty, and a determination to treat all citizens equally, he was well liked.

Sorrells, his friends told me, had the difficult task of leading south Alabama’s court system into an equal and fair direction where decades of discrimination had scarred the court’s reputation. Building on this 13 year success of a prosecutor, he ran for attorney general in the election against Don Siegleman and lost. State laws then prevented one elected official for running for another office, so he tuned to a junior, fairly inexperienced 34 year old attorney that was desperate for a promotion in his office, Douglas Valeska.

Reportedly the deal was simple, Sorrells would ask Gov. Wallace to appoint Valeska to be the district attorney while he ran for attorney general. If he lost, then Valeska would step aside and Wallace would reappoint Sorrells to the position. Valeska would get a promotion.

When Sorrels lost however he was in for a surprise, allegedly the the arrogant young Valeska allegedly said “what deal” and thus lied his way into office.

The character he exhibited then has been the character of how has operated the district attorney’s office for the past 28 years critics say, ruthless, dishonest and self serving. Punishing political enemies and minorities, micro managing law enforcement officers, and protecting those he sold out to that many point to where the money flows to from the Wiregrass drug trade.

Former narcotics officers I have spoken with frequently all have a common theme, Valeska blocked all attempts for us to go after where the money went. He targeted users and outed our informants for decades. At some point you realize they don’t want to solve the problem and give up.
None of these lawyers will speak on the record of what they were exposed to in Valeska’s office that made them no longer wiling to work under him, but several other former employees all have the same story.

“Valeska does not follow the law, makes up his own rules, routinely asked them to do things unethical, and often prosecutes people according to political loyalties”.

One week from today we will know his fate, as next Friday is when the state ethics commission makes its decision I am told. It is my prediction Valeska will lose, the only question is how bad will be for him. In this outcome the people of the Wiregrass may finally be able to see how the district attorney’s office has been run and demand change in the upcoming election.

http://m.dothaneagle.com/news/local...4b2-0974-11e5-8d79-df9bc23b23e7.html?mode=jqm
Robinson said he contributed to Valeska’s campaign because he feared repercussions if he did not.
“I write this, again, to let the people of the counties of Houston and Henry know they have a district attorney who abuses his power and authority,” Robinson wrote in the complaint. “Again, I have no sour grapes as I am a practicing civil attorney in Atlanta, Georgia.”

https://www.mail-archive.com/deathpenalty@lists.washlaw.edu/msg02316.html
Doug Valeska, district attorney for Houston and Henry counties and a
practicing Catholic, has sent more people to Death Row than any other DA
in the state except those in more populous Jefferson and Montgomery
counties.

Valeska said that though his faith is important to him, he believes the
sanctity-of-life philosophy should not apply to people who have taken a
life.

"It's my opinion they should forfeit their life," he said. "As far as
incarcerating them for the rest of their lives ... they can take others'
life in prison, hurt guards, hurt other people."

Valeska said the priest at his church in Dothan has written him, asking
him not to seek the death penalty in specific cases, but he has not
complied.

There are 13 people on death row from Houston and Henry counties, more per
capita than anywhere except Talladega County.

"I'll continue to seek the death penalty. If that means that I'm going to
hell then God's going to send me to hell," Valeska said. "I have a problem
with the bishops, their liberal stance."

This guy is corrupt beyond belief.
And he's been in charge for 28 years.

I used to struggle with the idea of "by any means necessary". I wanted to believe that change could be fought for and won in the existing legal framework. Seeing how many times America has been given proof and chosen to double down on it's inhumane treatment of black people it's starting to become more clear. Malcolm X was right in so many ways.
Black Americans have historically had this culture (probably rooted in slavery era Christian indoctrination) of forgiveness and reconciliation with their white oppressors.
I think thats the main reason why white America has had the privilege of not having to deal with organized terrorism from African Americans (The closest was the Black Panthers and even they had a fundamentally defensive posture towards white authority)

Black people in America, generally speaking, dont invest in the "eye for an eye" school of religious teachings.
More impressively when you think about it, black Americans have always been patriotic about representing America abroad, even during the Jim Crow era.

https://www.facebook.com/DothanFirst/posts/1045992972118270
3y4bPAg.png

They admit the documents are real, but say that they are organized in a way to create controversy.

Makes a distinction between "planting evidence" and "improper storing" of evidence.

Invites the feds to investigate the department. I hope they take them up on that offer!

Brhoom

Banned
But why? How can you wakeup everyday knowing what you did to these poor people? I'm sorry but these assholes should get prison in life.

Oh and, the police chief will have a presser at 4:30.

https://www.facebook.com/DothanFirst/posts/1045992972118270

I hate to get into a fight over coverage but...this is too important to get completely buried by other events. Haven't seen any of the news stations say anything yet. This is outrageous, and deserves attention.

This is why people have to march and disrupt...nobody gives a fuck any other way. Let someone throw a bottle at a cop and there will be a media frenzy.

But why? How can you wakeup everyday knowing what you did to these poor people? I'm sorry but these assholes should get prison in life.

They're racist. They don't view those black men as human. These are the same people that used to water hose them. And lynch them. And enslave them.

Same fucking people.

Johndoey

Banned
But seriously good to get this type of shit into the open but this is kinda an open secret yeah? We make jokes about police planting evidence because its on the edge of our consciousness at all times. This is the reality for minorities even if you ain't fucking up you fucking up.

Jesus....How long before Blacks across America join forces and just say ENOUGH? It's funny that the Black Panther Party is pretty much defunct but the KKK is still around and seem to have traded in their white hoods for Police Blue.

nib95

Banned
It actually makes me sick to my stomach thinking about how many innocent people must have been locked away, and the horrors they may have faced in prison whilst being completely innocent.

MJPIA

Kinda already put too much text in this thread already but I really want people to see this thread.
This post is much shorter at least.
Al.com interviewed the writer and there's one important bit I bolded.
http://www.al.com/news/montgomery/i...l?hootPostID=01715c8a8dfee387068b61b780474d4a
My phone isn't letting me copy anything from the article but the writer said two months ago two officers gave him 858 files from the IA division and they were obtained legally.
Files span '96-10 and they supposedly contain more claims of alleged wrongdoings.
He didn't take the files at face value and had multiple officers view them.
There are officers that want to do the right thing but are afraid of ending up with ruined careers.
And the files were released now because the mood of the country is such that they feel something may be done about it.

roknin

People will continue to believe otherwise.

Sad but true.

It's funny that the Black Panther Party is pretty much defunct but the KKK is still around and seem to have traded in their white hoods for Police Blue.

Really makes you think, doesn't it?

It actually makes me sick to my stomach thinking about how many innocent people must have been locked away, and the horrors they may have faced in prison whilst being completely innocent.

That's honestly one of the things that scares me.

As a young black male, almost all my life I've had to convince myself that "nah, it's not going to happen to me tonight, right?" just to calm my nerves when I see a police car following or even just "coincidentally going the same direction" as me. But you always know there's that chance that it could be you.

A lot of people that don't live with that fear have the misconception that "clearly so-and-so did SOMETHING to provoke it", the classic "he/she's no angel" argument, or the "it's so overblown" mindset, and they don't get why it's so infuriating to see or hear that garbage.

This is one of many reasons why.

I know a lot of the stuff going on right now isn't comfortable for those types to hear, but... honestly? I hope more of it comes out. People need to see this and stop acting as though racism and racial profiling doesn't exist.

People still think plugging their ears and going "la la la I see no race, all lives matter" will solve things.

Fuck no.

Talking about it, pulling it all into the light and actually understanding there is a problem and admitting there is a problem is a much better path to making actual progress.

In before Bill O'Reilly and Don Lemon say "if only they would stop sagging their pants and they wouldn't be targeted..."

Seriously, I really want to see how certain pundits try to deflect, victim-blame, and gaslight their way into spinning this one.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
This is so fucking disgusting. Makes my stomach turn just thinking about it. All of those children and adults lives ruined. Ruined. They can't get those years back. Their families can't get those years back.

MJPIA

Splc just tweeted a link to it that they retracted because there isn't enough conclusive evidence to prove anything currently.
They weren't involved otherwise.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_...lice_corruption_what_do_we_actually_know.html
Slate did do a good article about it currently and urging caution until more info is released.
When I was on my phone I wasn't able to read the documents and now that I can there just isn't enough evidence to prove anything for real at this point.

If this guy really did use a few real documents from the police department to spin and make something out of nothing I'm gonna be upset.

We need more info.
Ball is in the blog's court now, have to wait to see what he does.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Splc just tweeted a link to it that they retracted because there isn't enough conclusive evidence to prove anything currently.
They weren't involved otherwise.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_...lice_corruption_what_do_we_actually_know.html
Slate did do a good article about it currently and urging caution until more info is released.
When I was on my phone I wasn't able to read the documents and now that I can there just isn't enough evidence to prove anything for real at this point.

If this guy really did use a few real documents from the police department to spin and make something out of nothing I'm gonna be upset.

We need more info.
Ball is in the blog's court now, have to wait to see what he does.

Welcome to modern "journalism", aka how to dog-whistle to your base.

I doubt the accuracy of the title. We all know Alabama cops have probably been planting drugs and guns since before the 1990s. Unless of course it was just not necessary for them to plant things on innocent minorities before then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom