• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alan Wake 2 | Final Previews are coming up

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
oh-sure-john-candy.gif

girl-sure-jan.gif

This time
Dont Know Idk GIF by Marko Penn

Loved Control, never played through the AWE DLC though, nor the first game. My Brother loved the first one though, so he bought the remake. I played it for a short time but not much.

Got a message today he'd bought this., since we share digital games I guess I'll check it out.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa
-10+ years too late in my opinion
-Changing the race of the side detective (she was originally white, check the easter egg in Quantum Break)
-Using Shawn Ashmore even though "Quantum Break isnt part of the multiverse" even though its referenced in Control
-Too much live action, not enough gameplay shown

This has questionable written all over it, and it was bound to happen after the success of Control. You get big, you bend the knees.

First Remedy game Ill be skipping out on day one, and I sure as fuck dont trust reviewers that will most likely praise it.

Ill be relying on you guys once again
Like man Chuck man , come on man , don't be like that mann ,Chuck.

There's bound to be a physical version down the line.
I'll likely still get it down the road digitally on sale, just can't support their day one sales.
I also dont like the fact there is physical version.......but need my horror game for this Halloween.
Could always play Costume Quest again for the umpteenth time, like me. I kid. I know it's not a horror title, but it's so cute. I tried playing CQ2 and just didn't feel it, but the first game was great imo.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
had my 300/900 FTTP for nearly 2 years with no down time and once ive finished a game ive had my monies worth out of it so very rarely ever go back unless it gets addons or substantial updates.

welcome to the modern world.
Thank you for your empathy, will wait for digital to bite you in the ass too and your outrage then :p.

Last edited:

Roberts

My gamesharing buddy is a huge AW fan, so he obviously pre-ordered. I will definitely check it out and everything in the trailers and preview videos looks definitely more interesting than the first game.

Toots

Gold Member
This time he is not lying, I'm confident this game will surprise a lot of people.
No he's still lying, he never played a minute of the game.
He's more than likely right tho, this game looks like GOTY material and i'm all for it.

edit :

Is Mr Door a friend of Mr Hands ???
The plot thickens...

Last edited:

Eiknarf

Banned
-10+ years too late in my opinion
-Changing the race of the side detective (she was originally white, check the easter egg in Quantum Break)
-Using Shawn Ashmore even though "Quantum Break isnt part of the multiverse" even though its referenced in Control
-Too much live action, not enough gameplay shown

This has questionable written all over it, and it was bound to happen after the success of Control. You get big, you bend the knees.

First Remedy game Ill be skipping out on day one, and I sure as fuck dont trust reviewers that will most likely praise it.

Ill be relying on you guys once again

When does the review embargo end ?

I half expect to see reviews next week

K' Dash

As much as I loved Control, I hoped I could get Alan out of there in the DLC, that was a very disappointing bait and switch they pulled there. At the time we didn't know anything about a possible AW2 and I needed closure for Alan's story.

I'm going to be there day 1, I just hope we can get him and Alice together.

Sorne

I'm definitely just going in blind. Don't wanna watch any previews. Probably only watching the review scores, but that's about it. Looking forward to it!

I'm buying the game but the gameplay shown so far looks pretty mundane so I'm not sure where the GOTY remarks are coming from?

amigastar

I'm buying the game but the gameplay shown so far looks pretty mundane so I'm not sure where the GOTY remarks are coming from?
To me it looks better than Alan Wake 1. Not so arcadey if you know what i mean, more Resident Evil like. Like a true Survival Horror game.

Last edited:
To me it looks better than Alan Wake 1. Not so arcadey if you know what i mean, more Resident Evil like. Like a true Survival Horror game.
Yeah but each encounter I've seen so far lacks any of the excitement and tension of Res 4 or variety for that matter. I'm loving the setting, atmosphere and tone but I've not been blown away by the combat yet, hopefully keeping the best stuff under wraps.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
To me it looks better than Alan Wake 1
I hope so, I’m replaying original Alan Wake and this game did not age well. It still has good atmosphere but the combat becomes super repetitive and you mostly fighting same enemies over and over again.

Also in remastered they changed character models face to look more realistic but without improving animation and facial expressions which made them look much worse.

I'd love to be proven wrong when reviews hit but I really don't have a good impression. The gameplay they've shown looks really, really basic, Remedy gimmicks like live action back in full force, too much emphasis on "atmospheric slow walking" in what they've shown.

Control is my favorite Remedy game because it focused on level design and combat first and foremost. AW2 so far has been looking like a lot of window dressing and gimmicks rather than a particularly robust game. I don't know, hopefully I'm way off because the idea of it all sounds great on paper.

Luipadre

A little bump. Cant believe im gonna play an alan wake sequel in 10 days. Any info on when the reviews drop? Not that i care, this is a day 1 for me. Hopefully the PS5 version will be polished at launch

Danjin44

I’m replaying Alan Wake before 2nd game comes out but replaying that game I hope to god they improved the combat and enemy variety in the sequel……in all honestly the original game did not age well, it’s super repetitive and tedious. You are mostly fighting same enemy over and over again also the crows and those fast enemies are just time consuming rather than give you proper challenge especially in Nightmare difficulty when every enemies just becomes bullet sponges.

Luipadre

I’m replaying Alan Wake before 2nd game comes out but replaying that game I hope to god they improved the combat and enemy variety in the sequel……in all honestly the original game did not age well, it’s super repetitive and tedious. You are mostly fighting same enemy over and over again also the crows and those fast enemies are just time consuming rather than give you proper challenge especially in Nightmare difficulty when every enemies just becomes bullet sponges.

If you watched any alan wake 2 stuff you can already tell that the sequel is a very different game from the original

Danjin44

If you watched any alan wake 2 stuff you can already tell that the sequel is a very different game from the original
My rule with horror games is the less I know the better, so I’m not watching anything from it before release, I just hope you are right.

Eiknarf

Banned
A little bump. Cant believe im gonna play an alan wake sequel in 10 days. Any info on when the reviews drop? Not that i care, this is a day 1 for me. Hopefully the PS5 version will be polished at launch
I second that question;

When are the reviews coming??

DavidGzz

Man, October! Take it easy. Bought LoTF, Spiderman 2, Still playing LoP, Baldur's Gate 3, Just bought D4 on Steam, and now Alan Wake is next. What a time to be a gamer.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
the sequel is a very different game from the original
Eeeeeeeeh I have to disagree here. While it is clearly a survival horror, it does not forget what makes Alan Wake unique. In fact it embrace it, as you said, with the story, the puzzles and that damn atmosphere which is just amazing.
But anyone expecting more variety on the ennemies will be disappointed as it's a lot of people taken by The Dark Presence. Also, you don't fight an enemy until the first hour or something like that.

And it must be said, It IS Alan Wake II, not Saga Anderson's game.

Top Bottom