• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alan Wake 2 practically teased for 2022 in Control's AWE DLC

Alan Wake 2 might have been teased in a far from covert way at the very ending of Control's second and final DLC, AWE (Altered World Event).

Spoilers

As Remedy explicitly said upon the announcement of AWE, this is the very first piece of content officially included in the 'Remedy Connected Universe' project. In fact, the main mission given to Jesse Faden has to do with Alan Wake, and more specifically Dr. Hartman, the psychiatrist who desired to exploit the reality-bending powers of Alan Wake (and other artists such as the Andersons and Thomas Zane) in 2010's game.

In this new DLC for Control, Jesse is 'contacted' via the Hotline by Wake himself, who prompts her to check out the 'monster' loose in the Investigation Sector. There, we learn that Dr. Hartman tried to partner with the Federal Bureau of Control in order to further investigate paranatural phenomena. However, the FBC considered him a paracriminal and decided to keep him locked in the Oldest House, although eventually he was set free after being deemed just a 'low threat'.

Unable to let go of his obsession, Hartman went back to Cauldron Lake and dived in, only to be transformed by the Dark Presence there. Now a proper paranatural threat, Hartman was once again detained by the FBC in the dedicated 'Bright Falls AWE' area of the Investigation Sector. He got loose, however, and killed everyone in the area, which resulted in the lockdown of the entire Investigation Sector.

But the most interesting part, as mentioned in the beginning, comes after defeating him. Protagonist Jesse Faden is contacted by Langdon, the guy in charge of overseeing all the Altered Items from the Panopticon sector. Langdon has just received an alarm about an Altered World Event taking place once again in Bright Falls, but for some reason, the event's date is 'a couple of years in the future'. Additionally, Alan Wake's last message clearly mentions that he intends to write a story about a hero who would save him from the Dark Place, where he is still trapped since the ending of the game. That hero clearly is Jesse Faden.

Fans have had their hope for Alan Wake 2 reignited ever since Remedy managed to get the publishing rights back for the IP. It seems obvious at this point that a new game set in Bright Falls will be released in 2022 or thereabouts, though it's hard to say whether it will be a proper Alan Wake 2 game mechanically or rather a sequel to Control that happens to be set in Alan Wake's Bright Falls. If the author's message is to be believed, Faden will still be the star of the action as 'the hero of the story' he is writing, though that doesn't mean Alan Wake himself won't be playable, too.

Either way, we can't wait to learn more about the first true 'Remedy Connected Universe' game. We already know it'll be published by Epic as part of the deal signed by Remedy.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Mr Hyde

It would be nice if Remedy would consider a remaster of the first game to current gen. I would like to experience that before a sequel comes out.

Journey

Banned
PS5 exclusive and/or exclusive VR mode

Why do you care if others can enjoy it or not?

TmSdS.jpg

sircaw

Banned
Alan Wake 2 might have been teased in a far from covert way at the very ending of Control's second and final DLC, AWE (Altered World Event).

Spoilers

As Remedy explicitly said upon the announcement of AWE, this is the very first piece of content officially included in the 'Remedy Connected Universe' project. In fact, the main mission given to Jesse Faden has to do with Alan Wake, and more specifically Dr. Hartman, the psychiatrist who desired to exploit the reality-bending powers of Alan Wake (and other artists such as the Andersons and Thomas Zane) in 2010's game.

In this new DLC for Control, Jesse is 'contacted' via the Hotline by Wake himself, who prompts her to check out the 'monster' loose in the Investigation Sector. There, we learn that Dr. Hartman tried to partner with the Federal Bureau of Control in order to further investigate paranatural phenomena. However, the FBC considered him a paracriminal and decided to keep him locked in the Oldest House, although eventually he was set free after being deemed just a 'low threat'.

Unable to let go of his obsession, Hartman went back to Cauldron Lake and dived in, only to be transformed by the Dark Presence there. Now a proper paranatural threat, Hartman was once again detained by the FBC in the dedicated 'Bright Falls AWE' area of the Investigation Sector. He got loose, however, and killed everyone in the area, which resulted in the lockdown of the entire Investigation Sector.

But the most interesting part, as mentioned in the beginning, comes after defeating him. Protagonist Jesse Faden is contacted by Langdon, the guy in charge of overseeing all the Altered Items from the Panopticon sector. Langdon has just received an alarm about an Altered World Event taking place once again in Bright Falls, but for some reason, the event's date is 'a couple of years in the future'. Additionally, Alan Wake's last message clearly mentions that he intends to write a story about a hero who would save him from the Dark Place, where he is still trapped since the ending of the game. That hero clearly is Jesse Faden.

Fans have had their hope for Alan Wake 2 reignited ever since Remedy managed to get the publishing rights back for the IP. It seems obvious at this point that a new game set in Bright Falls will be released in 2022 or thereabouts, though it's hard to say whether it will be a proper Alan Wake 2 game mechanically or rather a sequel to Control that happens to be set in Alan Wake's Bright Falls. If the author's message is to be believed, Faden will still be the star of the action as 'the hero of the story' he is writing, though that doesn't mean Alan Wake himself won't be playable, too.

Either way, we can't wait to learn more about the first true 'Remedy Connected Universe' game. We already know it'll be published by Epic as part of the deal signed by Remedy.

I really enjoyed Alan Wake, but the dlc for it, i recall it being crap, at least that was my experience from it.

Would be wonderful if this is true though, next gen would make that experience really shine.

I loved Alan Wake, such a great well thought out game. You could really see that it was a passion project through and through.

Under normal circumstances I would be pretty excited for this however given it is {current_year} Remedy who man'd up the face on their main character in Control I don't have a ton of faith that this won't end up being woke trash. I can picture it now... "Alan has been locked in his own neverending story, it is up to his daughter/wife to prove that she is a strong independent brave bisexual woman who can do anything as well as men to rescue the emasculated title character"

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
I hated the mechanics in Alan Wake. I recently went back and completed it again and my mind didn't change much. It does have surprisingly good partner AI. Make Barry the lead character and I'd definitely give it a whirl.

SCB3

I really enjoyed Alan Wake, but the dlc for it, i recall it being crap, at least that was my experience from it.

Would be wonderful if this is true though, next gen would make that experience really shine.

That's mainly caused they were clearly stripped from the main game and re sold as DLC.

I enjoyed Alan Wake a lot, I still have the SE "Book" edition as shown here:

97258ff973.jpg

I would love a sequel and a remaster as the PC version isn't well optomised

Paracelsus

What really delayed Alan Wake for so long? "The biggest mistake we made," Häkkinen says, "was following a sandbox design. It did not fit with our story-driven focus." Originally, the game was an open-world experience set across a huge map with mist-shrouded forests, an eerie lake, power plants and a Twin Peaks-style town that players could explore.

I don't know what kinda crack were they smoking when they thought that was a bad thing.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
The atmosphere of the game is great, as a game it's not great.
Yup; was worth a play through until the awful platforming part, then I quit the game lol

Despite selling the farm (Max Payne license) to make the game and endlessly delaying it, it's still an unfinished game, you can tell. The only thing really "done" is the environment IMO.

Tiamat2san

I’d say, remake or remaster of Alan wake first.
PlayStation only gamers don’t know the game.
Then do the sequel.
Anyway, I hope it’s true.

In my opinion, not only should Alan Wake be playable but he should have an equal or greater amount of playtime in his sequel compared to Jesse. Something like Max Payne 2, where you would switch between playing as Max and Mona but mostly played as the former.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.

Spoilers

I think the next installment in the RCU won't necessary be with Jess. The Bureau clearly mention they have an agent at Bright Fall (can't remember her name thought) so maybe we will play her in the next game ?
Anyway, can't wait to learn what's next !

xrnzaaas

I've just finished the AWE expansion and even though it wasn't as awesome as I hoped it would be (although dealing with Darkness throughout the entire DLC was pretty refreshing) the ending was interesting and it definitely hinted Alan Wake 2. But would I want Alan Wake 2 without Alan as the playable character (at least not from the start)? I dunno man.

Last edited:

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.

The scene does not trigger for everyone but here are the conditions known to date to see the sequence:

- Complete the game, including DLCs
- Complete the Maneki-Nekos quest (lucky cats to find in the foundation DLC)
- Have found the 5 secret areas in the AWE DLC
- Have unlocked the secret area by doing the clock quest in the AWE DLC
- Have completed the 3 levels of the Jukebox

The images that flash by are as follows:
LRXBNan.png
BCbvozN.png
kvPICzl.png
r2oZAOP.png

Alan Wake over control any day. Control's gameplay is just so generic.
I really enjoy both of them to be honest. Still need to play the DLC, but damn if I don't love what Control offers and just it's atmosphere in general. I think I've beaten Alan Wake at least 4 times through as well. Really enjoy both properties. Would love Alan Wake 2 in 2022. Quantum Break can die though. It can go to hell and die again.

Top Bottom