• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alanah Pearce: "The Game Awards is bulllshit. It's a popularity contest"

She is playing stupid about why Hogwart's Legacy wasn't nominated.

"Politics. What politics?"

jennifer lawrence ok GIF
That's why I'm not watching the show this year. They're too pussy to nominate the top selling game this year. Though, it's probably also because too many of them actually agree with the crazies on era. Either way, I'm just going to follow the thread here to catch any announcements.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I recommend the vlog where she bitches about having plastic surgery to remove a scar on her face from MRSA or some shit but it came out ass despite her looking objectively 60% more attractive than 80% of people you see walking the street. It's a weird fap but a good fa-

TGA is a religious ceremony and I will fight to protect It's honor

Kacho

No one cares about the actual awards. People tune in for the reveals and the live show LOLs.

Just like no one cares what this broad thinks. They tune in to admire her mommy milkers.

Ozzie666

Of course the awards are, and who knows how much money exchanges hands behind the scenes.

No matter what you think of Alanah, she's done pretty well for herself as an Aussie. Is she the most recognizable and successful of the formerer IGN presenters? The most famous probably being Chabot?
Living her best life and probably making good money.

CosmicComet

She's right, but I also feel like Geoff's video game awards never felt like "the real deal". It doesn't feel like
1280.jpg

Red Dead Redemption 2 (somehow) lost the Goty award against GoW in 2018
It lost because by that that time the honeymoon period was over and people realized the worst part of RDR2 was actually playing the dang thing.

Belthazar

She's not wrong, but she also isn't saying anything new. That's true for any major awards ceremony on any industry, it's not like you're seeing art house films being nominated at the Oscars.

3liteDragon

The entire gaming market is a popularity contest (where the the most popular games win in terms of sales and mindshare).

But the claim that said popularity is solely because of marketing is laughable. The most popular games in terms of mindshare are generally high quality games; often the highest quality titles.

Marketing budgets also correlate because publishers give the biggest marketing budgets behind their highest quality franchises and titles; e.g. Sony's marketing budget for TLOU II was likely multiple times that of Day's Gone. When publishers know they have a winner on their hands they will put their full marketing weight behind it; and conversely, if they know the next game in their series is a dud, they'll spend less on marketing (typically... Of course there are always exceptions *cough*MS).

Alanah's point is predicated on the presupposition that games like Dredge are inherently equal in quality and entertainment value as games like BG3, Zelda TOTK, Elden Ring or TLOU II. The reality is, they aren't and the difference in popularity is a result of the market recognising this difference in perceived quality and entertainment value.

There are many absolutely stellar smaller indie-style games that deserve to be awarded within their own category, but in the wider superset of games releasing in a given year, smaller games like that just don't provide nearly the same level of entertainment value as the best AAA games.
Best post in the thread, close it.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Eh, don’t even watch it. I wait till the shows over and then go see what new game trailer that was announced
I always say I'm gonna do that, but I get curious and end up watching it. I think that's what happens most of the time. If I have nothing to do at the time of the show I'll take a look..

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member

Alanah Pearce, influencer and writer at Santa Monica Studio recently gave her opinion on The Game Awards. According to her, the show is nothing more than a popularity contest.

No shit sherlock. ( to the girl)

I wonder how long the girl must have thought and realized this so obvious situation. 🤦‍♀️🤦

Last edited:

SRTtoZ

Has she shown her tits yet? On a serious note, I saw a vid of her pop up on my YT and noticed her face changed. Went down a rabbit hole and I guess she had surgery for some scar on her forehead and it ended up fucking up her entire face and she doesn't look the same anymore. Pretty crazy. Anyway. /WOULD

Mozzarella

I disagree, popularity helps but its not the sole deciding factor.
If that was the case then Fortnite, PUBG and Genshin Impact would have won.

The Game Awards is simply a show where many media outlets get together to vote on their choices for best games of the year. The popular vote counts only for 10% and most of the time the popular vote winner is bad.

While i have many issues with TGA as a show and with their choices over the years, i think many of the actual winners are legit good games. So no Alanah is wrong here, and i think there is a reason behind it, maybe cause GOWR lost to ER. But i honestly dont know i just cant be arsed to watch the video.

Neilg

Of course the most popular game wins. It's a consumer voted award.

She tried to claim the biggest marketing budget wins but that's a really shit argument to make in a year when BG3 is a serious contender for a few. It's sort of, technically, an indie game...
(I know indie at this point, like music, is a genre in itself)

Last edited:

Madflavor

Of course the most popular game wins. It's a consumer voted award.

She tried to claim the biggest marketing budget wins but that's a really shit argument to make in a year when BG3 is a serious contender for a few. It's sort of, technically, an indie game...
(I know indie at this point, like music, is a genre in itself)

I'd argue if BG3 doesn't win, something went pretty wrong. In many ways BG3 is romantic in how it came to be and it's success. Larian is a beloved studio who started small and rose to greatness. The communication and good will with their community is excellent. They brought a niche genre into the forefront. An absolute insane amount of work, love and passion went into the game, on a level that's only seen once or twice in a generation. The gaming community are unified in their love for BG3 and Larian. There are no microtransactions or shitty anti-consumer practices. I could go on, but this is as clear a winner as you can get.

MarkMe2525

It's entertainment and advertising, nothing more nothing less. There is also nothing wrong with that. I'm sure there are some that take the awards more seriously then others, but most are just watching to be entertained.

If that’s the case than why didn’t FIFA and CoD win the award all these years?

Oh you mean popular amongst the small minority that is Gamer Forums and so? Well, maybe the reason the game is popular there is its quality?

Metnut

There’s nothing more important in the world and life than a popularity contest. Realizing this is one of the keys to making it in life.

AMSCD

Hold your hands up who watches the show for the awards.

Hold your hands up if you watch the show for new reveal trailers.

Now, hold your hands up if you watch the show for musical shows.

I watch the show for the trailers and the music. The commercials can be tolerated if the Music and trailers are good. The awards have become rushed and forced. (aka don't need to be there).

The Show needs renaming and revamped!!!!!

Take the awards out and rename the show A Celebration of Digital Sound and Visuals!
I watch for the Doritos

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
I'd argue if BG3 doesn't win, something went pretty wrong. In many ways BG3 is romantic in how it came to be and it's success. Larian is a beloved studio who started small and rose to greatness. The communication and good will with their community is excellent. They brought a niche genre into the forefront. An absolute insane amount of work, love and passion went into the game, on a level that's only seen once or twice in a generation. The gaming community are unified in their love for BG3 and Larian. There are no microtransactions or shitty anti-consumer practices. I could go on, but this is as clear a winner as you can get.
Zelda TotK has no microtransactions, the full game is playable without bugs, and you can say mostly the same nice things of love and work that went into it.

I think it's either of the two.

👀😮‍💨 Nice boobs.

On a serious note, I disagree with her. If it was a popularity contest then Starfield would be leading the pack in nominations and be a leading frontrunner for GOTY. Instead the game only has one nomination and isn’t even in the running for GOTY. The most popular game by word of mouth this year on the internet has been Starfield. The game missing nominations and selling poorly is a testament to how mediocre and disappointing it truly was. MS spent millions marketing this game and turning Xbox fans and the media into evangelists for this game. I couldn’t go anywhere without seeing discussions about this game prior to its release and ultimate disappointment.

ahtlas7

But the question of these awards is literally, "Which game did people like the most?".

Saying they're a popularity contest isn't an observation at all. It's a tautology.
My dear Mr. Watterson, redundantly emphasizing a sense of repetition, making it doubly redundant in conveying a recurrent experience allows for double or perchance thrice the cringe factor. …also, I learned a new word today.

Top Bottom