• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alec Baldwin Kills Cinematographer Halyna Hutchins With Real Gun

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It's the same circular argument that we had before when this first happened. You see Baldwin as the person mainly responsible for this. I don't. Neither do most people in my experience.

Agree to disagree.
Guy who pulls the trigger and did not follow the universal safety rules is not responsible for killing the person he killed and the other he severely injured.

Privilege 1
Logic 0

Pro 2nd amendment, always hated Baldwins politics yet I love him in 30 rock and think he insanely funny and talented. The charges never made sense to me.

If there is a scene where actors are going to stab each other and someone swaps a dummy knife for the real one last second why would you blame the actor. Even more asinine when fake vs real bullets is less noticeable than fake gun or bullets. The always check crowd have maybe a 10 percent point.

This is why sets have armorers in the first place. Everyone saying they check at all times are liars plain and simp.

If I was an actor and the production gave me a gun for the scene I am fucking in the zone and blasting away.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Pro 2nd amendment, always hated Baldwins politics yet I love him in 30 rock and think he insanely funny and talented. The charges never made sense to me.

If there is a scene where actors are going to stab each other and someone swaps a dummy knife for the real one last second why would you blame the actor. Even more asinine when fake vs real bullets is less noticeable than fake gun or bullets. The always check crowd have maybe a 10 percent point.

This is why sets have armorers in the first place. Everyone saying they check at all times are liars plain and simp.

If I was an actor and the production gave me a gun for the scene I am fucking in the zone and blasting away.
Well said.

If there is a scene where actors are going to stab each other and someone swaps a dummy knife for the real one last second why would you blame the actor.
You would only do that if there was a common procedure to check the knife each time it was handed to you. In this case, there was that common procedure and it was ignored.

Even more asinine when fake vs real bullets is less noticeable than fake gun or bullets.
If I remember right, there wasn't even supposed to be blanks in the gun. It should have been empty, and it would have been easy to check.

Then you'd be responsible for someone's death. If there's a commonplace procedure to check the weapon that you were just handed, and you didn't follow that procedure, even if somehow you were legally protected from charges you would still be responsible for someone's death.

Quoting myself from earlier in the thread:

When this whole thing first happened I didn't know what to think. Then gun experts started showing up saying it would have been impossible for that gun to fire without someone pulling the trigger. Baldwin said he never pulled the trigger. Then an FBI report came to the same conclusion, that the trigger would have had to have been pulled.

The other big thing that convinced me was George Clooney saying that he (as an actor) is essentially the last line of defense every time someone hands him a gun on set. He checks the weapon himself every time.

Don’t load a gun and hand it to Nobody_Important Nobody_Important . He would shoot DeepEnigma DeepEnigma and claim he is not responsible, he was just handed the gun. He didn’t load it.

You would only do that if there was a common procedure to check the knife each time it was handed to you. In this case, there was that common procedure and it was ignored.

If I remember right, there wasn't even supposed to be blanks in the gun. It should have been empty, and it would have been easy to check.

Then you'd be responsible for someone's death. If there's a commonplace procedure to check the weapon that you were just handed, and you didn't follow that procedure, even if somehow you were legally protected from charges you would still be responsible for someone's death.

Quoting myself from earlier in the thread:

When this whole thing first happened I didn't know what to think. Then gun experts started showing up saying it would have been impossible for that gun to fire without someone pulling the trigger. Baldwin said he never pulled the trigger. Then an FBI report came to the same conclusion, that the trigger would have had to have been pulled.

The other big thing that convinced me was George Clooney saying that he (as an actor) is essentially the last line of defense every time someone hands him a gun on set. He checks the weapon himself every time.

I guarantee it is not common procedure to check before every scene, it's just that no actor would say so at the current moment. Other than dork ass George Clooney.
-
Again it's ridiculous to expect the actor to know every single variable for the guns for that scene, that's why we have the armorer. Empty chambers, blanks, no blanks, you really expect the actors to check every single bullet before the scene and reload. What if it's not a revolver and a 30 round mag? Everyone is on their high "but I wouldn't" horse when they know damn well it would piss off the director and everyone else if you did that shit.
-
I would not be responsible for anyone's death and I am literally right legally. The case was dropped. Are the actors in jail for killing Brandon Lee? Nope. Cus not they faullllllt.

on a side note I watched a movie with Clooney and Jeniifer Lopez about a heist and I come to realize Clooney acting annoys me. It's always the same shit, his voice and the way he talks never changes. It's so self aware look how charming I am. His mannerisms are so annoying once you notice them.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future

There shouldn't be any real bullets anywhere near the set though and definitely there shouldn't be any in the carefully controlled armory mixed in with blanks and dummy rounds.
Actors can and do fire guns towards cameramen, something that definitely isn't part of normal gun safety, but people aren't getting shot left and right on movie sets because the people responsible for loading those guns are doing their job properly.

Why do they even have a real gun that can fire real bullets? Surely they can build replica guns that do the job of blanks with using real guns at all. Remove the real gun and blank bullets entirely I say. Just have a pop cap type deal that is a totally different mechanism away from real guns 100%. You know a bit of Hollywood budget spent on safety first.

Why do they even have a real gun that can fire real bullets? Surely they can build replica guns that do the job of blanks with using real guns at all. Remove the real gun and blank bullets entirely I say. Just have a pop cap type deal that is a totally different mechanism away from real guns 100%. You know a bit of Hollywood budget spent on safety first.
I think that stuff all exists, but it’s as you mentioned a budget issue and you would still want real guns and bullets for some shots to show authentic recoil and flash if you need that like in a gritty western. It’s totally a choice to not have any real guns or bullets on set, one that I bet more people will be choosing, but if those reports about people playing cowboy with the guns were true the issue was that there was not the appropriate culture of safety and seriousness on set. People should know guns are not toys, that’s when things start slipping and live ammo ends up in the “prop” gun.

I would not be responsible for anyone's death and I am literally right legally. The case was dropped. Are the actors in jail for killing Brandon Lee? Nope. Cus not they faullllllt.
No, because they were not at fault, because common safety procedures were not in place then, because Brandon Lee hadn't been shot yet. After he was shot, general practice became to have more than one point of failure, and to share responsibility.

on a side note I watched a movie with Clooney and Jeniifer Lopez about a heist and I come to realize Clooney acting annoys me. It's always the same shit, his voice and the way he talks never changes. It's so self aware look how charming I am. His mannerisms are so annoying once you notice them.

Other than dork ass George Clooney.

It seems to me you're taking what Clooney has claimed in bad faith, because you just don't like the guy. But I'm willing to listen to another voice on the topic, if you can find an actor saying something to the effect of "it's completely the armorers fault, I never check guns on any of my movies and no one does. I just get it in my hand and fire it at the face of my co-star. If they end up dead, not my fault. It seems to me George Clooney's just being a dork ass." It wouldn't have to include all of that, but you get the idea.

Seriously, though, it does make sense that the vast majority of productions would have gone to a system with multiple points of failure after the death of Brandon Lee, so I don't really have reason to doubt Clooney. He does come off as a little smug at times, though, I'll give you that.

Meicyn

Gold Member
The buck stops with whomever pulls the trigger. Period. Firing weapons is a fun experience for those that haven’t done it before. It also makes you truly grasp how dangerous they are. If you have a real weapon in your hands, it doesn’t matter how many other people said your weapon is clear. You clear the weapon yourself. Always.

If you have a mix of real and fake weapons, it’s still the rule to follow because there is no do-over. If you pull the trigger and a bullet comes out, you are responsible for everything that happens to anything in the path of that bullet. It’s why I will never fire a weapon into the air, you have no idea where those bullets will go.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
The buck stops with whomever pulls the trigger. Period. Firing weapons is a fun experience for those that haven’t done it before. It also makes you truly grasp how dangerous they are. If you have a real weapon in your hands, it doesn’t matter how many other people said your weapon is clear. You clear the weapon yourself. Always.

If you have a mix of real and fake weapons, it’s still the rule to follow because there is no do-over. If you pull the trigger and a bullet comes out, you are responsible for everything that happens to anything in the path of that bullet. It’s why I will never fire a weapon into the air, you have no idea where those bullets will go.
Looks like he might not have pulled the trigger after all

https://www.tmz.com/2023/04/21/alec-baldwin-gun-rust-shooting-trigger-modified/

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
They sure are selling this to those who are ignorant to guns. Vast majority of modified triggers are to lesson the lbs in the pull, two stage, or smoother action. Still doesn't shooty bang bang on their own unless activated anymore than an original trigger, and in a lot of cases, those triggers mechanisms are of higher quality than factory.

I bet it was a softer pull/action which is common to do on old western styled revolvers so it can be rapid fired in shots with less fatigue and skill needed. Something that a movie would want to have.

As for that blanket "increase the chances" phrase.

Here is another one:
"Pointing a gun at someone also increases the changes of them getting shot."

Now if it was found to be "faulty" and can be replicated, which there are no reports about even after FBI tests, that is another story.

At the end of the day, the universal gun safety rules were not followed and every rule was broken in them. Which is the beauty of those rules, they are designed to where if you break one, you broke them all.

Last edited:

dave_d

No, because they were not at fault, because common safety procedures were not in place then, because Brandon Lee hadn't been shot yet. After he was shot, general practice became to have more than one point of failure, and to share responsibility.

Just to stress this part standards of what's acceptable behavior can change over time and what might not have been criminal before can become so.(As society learns the dangers of various acts.) For example years ago (60s I think) DUI was BAC of 0.15. So if you killed someone and blew say a 0.12 you could easily get away with it as "just an accident". These days if you kill someone in a car crash and blow a 0.12 there's a good chance you're going to prison.

BlackTron

Seriously, though, it does make sense that the vast majority of productions would have gone to a system with multiple points of failure after the death of Brandon Lee, so I don't really have reason to doubt Clooney. He does come off as a little smug at times, though, I'll give you that.
What Clooney said doesn't really make any sense because prop guns DO often contain blanks or other sorts of mock ammunition. Taking a stance that you ALWAYS make sure it's empty because you're George Clooney, perfect and awesome unlike Baldwin ignores this fact.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
Are we forgetting that Baldwin pointed the gun at the person when and fired the trigger when it wasnt even part of the scene? The gun didn't simply go off; he pointed it at someone and shot it for no reason.
No, no, see this particular gun was able to self-discharge for reasons that haven't been explained or verified! Next, we'll learn that it aims independent of who's holding it, too.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
What Clooney said doesn't really make any sense because prop guns DO often contain blanks or other sorts of mock ammunition. Taking a stance that you ALWAYS make sure it's empty because you're George Clooney, perfect and awesome unlike Baldwin ignores this fact.
Every set I have worked on, the actor checked the gun in front of the person that handed it off to them. There were several other actors besides Clooney who have come out and said that they too were the last line of defense and that they have never worked a set that did not practice this nor have they ever pointed the firearms at a living being. They are instructed on the gun safety rules.

Baldwin's set was literally not the norm. Literally ran wild west (trope) style.

JayK47

Alec Baldwin Now Only Allowed To Hold Out His Finger As A Gun In Movies

6442bc955d5246442bc955d525.jpg

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
So the FBI made a mistake, and the gun was actually faulty after all proving Baldwin correct - that he never pulled the trigger, the gun went off while they were doing rehearsals. This new evidence was compelling enough to the prosecutors to drop all charges.

It's a shame that someone died, especially someone so young, but at least an innocent man doesn't also have to be subjected to trial over it.

So the FBI made a mistake, and the gun was actually faulty after all proving Baldwin correct - that he never pulled the trigger, the gun went off while they were doing rehearsals. This new evidence was compelling enough to the prosecutors to drop all charges.

It's a shame that someone died, especially someone so young, but at least an innocent man doesn't also have to be subjected to trial over it.
It's fascinating how these bullshit narratives spread. It'sa "faulty" gun now is it? If true he only broke 3/4 of the gun safety rules. Good job.
Yep people here just have a hate boner for liberal Holywood qnd want them to suffer any chance they get.
Baldwin isnt some murderer.
I felt really sorry for Baldwin after seeing those interrogations and body cam vids. It must be a horrific thing to go through. And those poor kids...
Halyna Hutchins was a mother too though and we have to make sure justice is served and that this doesn't happen again.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Erm... Who loaded the real bullets into a "prop" gun? Surely they should be going after that person or am I missing something, haven't been following this so don't pile on too hard

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
It's fascinating how these bullshit narratives spread. It'sa "faulty" gun now is it? If true he only broke 3/4 of the gun safety rules. Good job.

The only relations of events from that day I've seen or read was Alec Baldwin's interview, I believe with ABC News, shortly after the tragedy occurred. He related how they were performing rehearsals, during which he adjusted the cylinder of the gun several times, etc. The only contradictory information I saw was the FBI's initial assessment that the gun was sound and could have only discharged via a trigger pull.

Later, as in this recent news, further investigations apparently applied more scrutiny and found that the FBI's assessment of the weapon was in error. This new evidence was compelling enough to the prosecution that they dropped all charges. On ABC News yesterday they showed clips from the rehearsal that Baldwin related in his original interview, and these clips corroborate his recollection of events (they show him sitting in front of a camera adjusting the gun in the same manner in which he related during his interview last year).

If you know of additional testimony claiming that any of that is incorrect, that these investigators are lying or incorrect in their findings regarding the firearm, or that the video of the rehearsals were somehow doctored, I'd like to see it. It looks to me to be copacetic, innocent until proven guilty, etc. I see no reason to doubt Baldwin's recollection of events given everything I've seen and read, and the prosecution doesn't either.

Edit: I see the armorer and her lawyer claim Baldwin violated some kind of safety rule regarding pointing a gun at someone on set, but I can't locate a list of these rules (apparently there's four of them according to your quote?), any sort of validation that they're official, or evidence that Baldwin actually did what they claim.

Last edited:
The only relations of events from that day I've seen or read was Alec Baldwin's interview, I believe with ABC News, shortly after the tragedy occurred. He related how they were performing rehearsals, during which he adjusted the cylinder of the gun several times, etc. The only contradictory information I saw was the FBI's initial assessment that the gun was sound and could have only discharged via a trigger pull.

Later, as in this recent news, further investigations apparently applied more scrutiny and found that the FBI's assessment of the weapon was in error. This new evidence was compelling enough to the prosecution that they dropped all charges. On ABC News yesterday they showed clips from the rehearsal that Baldwin related in his original interview, and these clips corroborate his recollection of events (they show him sitting in front of a camera adjusting the gun in the same manner in which he related during his interview last year).

If you know of additional testimony claiming that any of that is incorrect, that these investigators are lying or incorrect in their findings regarding the firearm, or that the video of the rehearsals were somehow doctored, I'd like to see it. It looks to me to be copacetic, innocent until proven guilty, etc. I see no reason to doubt Baldwin's recollection of events given everything I've seen and read, and the prosecution doesn't either.

Edit: I see the armorer and her lawyer claim Baldwin violated some kind of safety rule regarding pointing a gun at someone on set, but I can't locate a list of these rules (apparently there's four of them according to your quote?), any sort of validation that they're official, or evidence that Baldwin actually did what they claim.
We don't have enough information to go on imo. For all we know this is Baldwin's legal team working overtime to spin the news. I'm skeptical the gun could go off without a trigger pull but I guess more info will come out in time.

Either way the woman is dead so we do know Baldwin broke one or more gun safety rules.

Puscifer

In what way?
Reads like manslaughter is dropped but other charges may still be pending, guess we'll see.

" UPDATED with special prosecutor statement after PREVIOUS EXCLUSIVE: Despite a heady day of news about special prosecutors in New Mexico planning to drop criminal charges against Alec Baldwin for his role in the shooting death of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins on the set of Rust in 2021, the actor and producer may still face charges.

The special prosecutors, Kari Morrissey and Jason Lewis, released a statement late Thursday regarding the decision to drop his charges, saying they may be refiled after “further investigation.” “Over the last few days and in preparation for the May 3, 2023, preliminary hearing, new facts were revealed that demand further investigation and forensic analysis in the case against Alexander “Alec” Rae Baldwin, III. Consequently, we cannot proceed under the current time constraints and on the facts and evidence turned over by law enforcement in its existing form.

We therefore will be dismissing the involuntary manslaughter charges against Mr. Baldwin to conduct further investigation. This decision does not absolve Mr. Baldwin of criminal culpability and charges may be refiled. Our follow-up investigation will remain active and on-going.” Despite reports earlier in the day that former Rust armorer Hannah Gutierrez-Reed would also see her charges dropped, her status has not changed. “Charges against Hannah Gutierrez-Reed remain unchanged,” the prosecutors said tonight. A virtual status hearing has been set for Friday in Santa Fe.

JayK47

Unless they were not using a single action, which all old western revolvers were single action, you have to pull back the hammer. And why would you pull back the hammer unless you are planning to pull the trigger? Not sure how a single action could be faulty. Even so, he had the hammer back. I guess some of you could not imagine your favorite actor being a murderer, or even grossly negligent. At a minimum, he should be court ordered to pay huge restitution and community service giving gun safety classes for the rest of his life. But instead, he will star in a movie about the shooting playing himself of course.

poppabk

Take a look at this behind the scenes of 3:10 Yuma. Within the first minute there is a guy being 'shot' at point blank range, and several shots of people firing directly at camera with a cameraman behind the camera with only a plastic facemask for protection.

Quoting myself from earlier in this thread. Watch the first minute of this video and assuming they didn't produce an official behind the scenes doc that shows gross negligence - I am interested to know if anyone can tell me what these rules are?

LimanimaPT

I don't understand why prop guns that look like real guns, shoot like real guns, but can't accept real bullets, only a special kind of blank bullets don't exist. They should exist and be mandatory in movies
Real guns should be forbidden. It's not like this is the first time this happpens.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I don't know whether to feel indifferent (like rich famous person gets off, water is wet) or disappointed.

He should have checked ... But I guess the law is the law. I'll honor her memory as her husband said this was a passion project for her, and he IS a producer on this (after the fact)...

But it's fuck Alec Baldwin for how he was to his own damn kids in those phone calls years ago! Don't know how things are now with them but that shit was horrible!

dave_d

Quoting myself from earlier in this thread. Watch the first minute of this video and assuming they didn't produce an official behind the scenes doc that shows gross negligence - I am interested to know if anyone can tell me what these rules are?
I'm assuming they're talking about these ones

The 4 universal rules of gun safety are:

1. Treat all guns as if they are always loaded.
  2. Never let the muzzle point at anything that you are not willing to destroy.
  3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on target and you have made the decision to shoot.
  4. Be sure of your target and what is behind it.

poppabk

3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on target and you have made the decision to shoot.
The first two of which are violated repeatedly within 1 minute of the official 3:10 Yuma behind the scenes documentary. So it should be pretty obvious they don't apply in the same way on a movie set - that or the 3:10 Yuma was the most fucked up production ever.

BlackTron

This sounds impossible to maintain on a movie set. Every time you watch a movie and the gun is pointed at a camera, the actor is breaking the "safety law" of pointing the muzzle at a camera person, or 100 other things they "don't want to destroy" during the course of a movie, like other actors.

During such a take, or even a rehearsal, how are you supposed to treat the gun as if it is loaded and keep your finger off the trigger when the whole point is to look like you are really shooting and fighting?

I find it hilarious that people who have seen action movies can have this conversation with a straight face, WHAT ARE YOU SMOKING

poodaddy

poodaddy

I have no faith in the legal system when it comes to the wealthy. He'll get off again... Just like all other wealthy people who commit crimes (unless they commit a crime against another wealthy person).
I get what you're saying and I agree completely. That being said, we have seen some rich fucks get their come uppance as of late, maybe this will be the next?

I have no faith in the legal system when it comes to the wealthy. He'll get off again... Just like all other wealthy people who commit crimes (unless they commit a crime against another wealthy person).
Look how long it took for them to catch Epstein.
Jimmy Saville while not stinking rich was connected to people in power and went to his grave without facing any consequences for his actions.
Money (and powerful connections) does indeed buy you immunity from the justice system.
Its sickening.

Top Bottom