• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(*) Ali Salehi, a rendering engineer at Crytek contrasts the next Gen consoles in interview (Up: Tweets/Article removed)

ethomaz

Banned
UD4VfJI.png
Pretty weird that huge Sony fanboy only owning an Xbox One X on 8th generation lol

Last edited:
It's 18% minimum, and couple that with the RT uplift and it's a substantial difference. RT regardless of having dedicated hardware cuts into raster heavily, so having not only more RT hardware but higher raster capability is a stark advantage.

I dunno, I think the PS5 might have a higher theoretical raster rate. I think 64 ROPs would probably be fine for both. In practice I'd expect the XSX to be higher in most cases due to available bandwidth.

RT stuff may be dependant upon a number of factors - TMUs, compute ability, bandwidth, cache sizes etc.

There's still a lot to be found out, but it's highly plausible (IMO) that RT ability will closely match the compute performance. Then again, there could be other factors in play ...

Someone probably told him not to talk.

If anything that would mean he does actually have hands on experience with the two consoles despite what some people would like to believe.

Other way round IMO. If he was NDA'd he'd never have talked like this. And if he was hands on with the hardware he'd be NDA'd.

He's been told not to talk because he's made a fucking mess for Crytek on a number of levels! :messenger_medmask:

geordiemp

He pulled down his entire twitter

hest.png

And your point is ?

If he does work for Crytek, Crytek, MS and Sony will be upset with him.

NDA or no NDA for him personally, Crytek may have one...Also does not look good for a developer to say such things even if they think them. Politics.

Does that make what he said more or less true ?

Man the logic of some posters is scary.

Last edited:
Why would Sony take down such an awesome PR piece ?
Because of NDA?

Companies don't typically get selective about enforcement. If someone does break NDA, even to speak positively about whatever they're under NDA about, that person can be in deep trouble, even blacklisted.

I just find it funny how people are like "he couldn't even speak on this if he were under NDA!" and then when it's suddenly removed and he's muting up about it, it's clearly NOT because he just got in trouble for potentially breaking NDA. Is it possible he got in trouble for running his mouth too? Yep. But this is just as possible a scenario.

People really are gonna see things however they want for the next several months.

Last edited:

HeadsUp7Up

Like others said I’m sure he backed off due to some of his comments about the way Microsoft designed their system. Crytek definitely doesn’t want to talk down on Microsoft in public. Despite what some may think when you work for a company anything you say in public is a reflection of your employer. Pretty sure he got a phone call to get it removed ASAP.

quest

Not Banned from OT
He did not break any NDA with what he talked.
That does not matter if this was not cleared with marketing or media relations. You can't just be doing unauthorized interviews about your industry with out getting your ass in hot water or fired. I guarantee he either got a call from HR not good. Or colleague telling him wtf did you do get that shit down. There's a reason most interviews are with the same people over and over they have been cleared to give them as part of their job.

Sota4077

Not that I give a single shit about the console war or the idiots who fight it, but I do find is wildly entertaining that there have been countless articles to come out saying that PS5 is more difficult and countless that say it is easier on janky ass gaming blogs that sprouted up in the last year. Those were largely breezed over and ignored. There are endless breakdowns stating that it is less powerful. Those too were largely ignored. But finally, with this article--it is clear for console warriors. This source is the one that is unquestionably 100% accurate and reliable. Everything he says is gospel. The PS5 is the better console and the fewer CU's are better--So sayeth this gentleman. The PS5 is just the better console and will have better games the whole 9 yards. It is just hilarious that some of you are so invested in a plastic box when the person selling you the plastic box doesn't give a single shit about you other than that you buy games from them. They really do not need you out here fighting for their console. Haha. Ya'll just keep reading the words you want to hear and validate your love based on that. There were an awful lot of people stating definitively prior to the tech reveal that it would have a higher TF count too and now it is no longer about that. Its all about the SSD and the clock speed of those CU's. You fools will just keep moving the goal posts. Buy the console you want and just enjoy it. Is this silly bullshit really necessary to argue over specs that 95% of the people, myself included, commenting have no clue what they even mean?

Last edited:

GHG

BluRayHiDef

Banned
He specifies 'Less than ZERO' - not less than 1.
You are stubborn. The text presented in the OP is a translation, and it isn't a perfect one but has a few errors. So, no, he doesn't specify "less than zero," as that is a mistranslation.

Stop grasping at minor errors in the translation in order to mitigate the damage that this interview does to the perception that the XSX is all out better than the PS5.

The point of the interviewee is that the PS5 makes up for most of its lower level of power with extremely efficient hardware design and software support, as they make coding for it and getting it to perform at or very close to its maximum potential much easier than doing so for the XSX. Hence, the real-world difference between the PS5 and the XSX will be smaller than the difference between their respective peak performance in terms of teraflops of 10TF and 12TF.

Dory16

Banned
The fact that someone with an apparently understandable command of the english language chose to give an interview in Farsi about a massively technical subject (makes you wonder how they say compute unit in Farsi) was already a red flag. The complete lack of nuance in his take was the second alert.

Finally, the notion that variable clock frequencies are somehow a feature to cheer for because there is already dynamic resolution in a lot of games is abhorrent. He is basically implying that Sony designed a system that by default automatically implements something that is the result of the technical limitations of the previous generation and is praising them for it. But the best part is to see all the posters on here climaxing at their intelligence being completely insulted.

The goal should be native 4k resolution, not something that standardises the fact that 4k could not be achieved by previous systems. When Microsoft tried to say that DDR3 was more "comfortable" than GDDR5 they got rightfully laughed at and now the same people are going to believe everything someone that has Crytek on their resume says. This is precisely why his twitter is gone. Crytek is stepping up against the missuse of their good name to peddle technical falsehoods and self aggrandise.

You are stubborn. The text presented in the OP is a translation, and it isn't a perfect one but has a few errors. So, no, he doesn't specify "less than zero," as that is a mistranslation.

Stop grasping at minor errors in the translation in order to mitigate the damage that this interview does to the perception that the XSX is all out better than the PS5.

The point of the interviewee is that the PS5 makes up for most of its lower level of power with extremely efficient hardware design and software support, as they make coding for it and getting it to perform at or very close to its maximum potential much easier than doing so for the XSX. Hence, the real-world difference between the PS5 and the XSX will be smaller than the difference between their respective peak performance in terms of teraflops of 10TF and 12TF.
This interview was an amalgamation of all the hopes and dreams that are based upon no computational reality and merely materialize out of thin air to leverage a weaker console as being more powerful.

Who do you guys think you're fooling? You're not playing us, we know better, you're only playing yourselves.

Last edited:

Ashoca

Banned
Because he did not talked about anything that is not already public.
You don't break NDA talking about what Sony shared in Road of PS5.

Can't you read the interview?

ok, why did they delete everything then? because he s embarrassed and realized that it was all wrong, or why delete it then? He is not under NDA according to you, so he is free to talk about whatever he wants.

ok, why did they delete everything then? because he s embarrassed and realized that it was all wrong, or why delete it then? He is not under NDA according to you, so he is free to talk about whatever he wants.
Yeah apparently his Twitter which had no actual involvement with any of this is also under NDA, or the obvious that he's trying to mask a tattered history of extensive PlayStation evangelicalism.

Shocking.

Not that I give a single shit about the console war or the idiots who fight it, but I do find is wildly entertaining that there have been countless articles to come out saying that PS5 is more difficult and countless that say it is easier. Those were largely breezed over and ignored. There are endless breakdowns stating that it is less powerful. Those too were largely ignored. But finally, with this article--it is clear for console warriors. The PS5 is the better console and the fewer CU's are better--So sayeth this gentleman. The PS5 is just the better console and will have better games the whole 9 yards. It is just hilarious that some of you are so invested in a plastic box when the person selling you the plastic box doesn't give a single shit about you other than that you buy games from them. They really do not need you out here fighting for their console. Haha. Ya'll just keep reading the words you want to hear and validate your love based on that. There were an awful lot of people stating definitively prior to the tech reveal that it would have a higher TF count too and now it is no longer about that. Its all about the SSD and the clock speed of those CU's. You fools will just keep moving the goal posts. Buy the console you want and just enjoy it. Is this silly bullshit really necessary to argue over specs that 95% of the people, myself included, commenting have no clue what they even mean?

lol, claims to not care about the console war, proceeds to write a run on paragraph defensively ranting about the console war. Makes sense.

If you know that there are "countless articles" saying PS5 is more 'difficult' and you noticed people are "largely breezed over and ignored" them, then sorry homie, you are just as invested in these plastic boxes as anyone else.

There were an awful lot of people stating definitively prior to the tech reveal that it would have a higher TF count too and now it is no longer about that. Its all about the SSD and the clock speed of those CU's. You fools will just keep moving the goal posts.

Yeah, doesn't sound like a bitter defensive fanboy stewing for weeks after reading numerous next gen speculation posts over the past year. Yup, doesn't care at all.

Last edited:

xHunter

Yeah apparently his Twitter which had no actual involvement with any of this is also under NDA, or the obvious that he's trying to mask a tattered history of extensive PlayStation evangelicalism.

Shocking.

Or he is getting too many mentions and dms while he has to work since its core work hours in frankfurt and wants to focus on his work without his phone going off every few minutes. Could also be a reason.

sircaw

Banned

Because he still works for cryotek and anything he says reflects badly on the company. Companies don't like it when their employees shit talk others as it can lose/effect a potential contract down the road.

Its not rocket science.

Kagero

So you believe less CUs are better than more CUs?
He mentions that it's hard to get all the CU's running at max. There's issues of bottle necks from other components. Developers prefer to code using less, but faster CU's. This make their life easier. He feels the PS5 has less bottlenecks and the only advantage the XSX has is, is that it will push more pixels or some shit like that.

The Shift

Banned

No. This isn't true at all. It's become questionable if he has access to development kits from either platform, until he confirms as such. This is just speculation with a bit of wish fulfilment tossed in based on what's available publicly on the internet - posing as an interview article.

Last edited:
He mentions that it's hard to get all the CU's running at max. There's issues of bottle necks from other components. Developers prefer to code using less, but faster CU's. This make their life easier. He feels the PS5 has less bottlenecks and the only advantage the XSX has is, is that it will push more pixels or some shit like that.
Which is predicated on absolutely nothing because the entire pipeline on the Series X is larger, there's more available memory bandwidth, a wider bus, no doubt more ROPs, more TMU's, higher pixel and texel rates...

It's total BS.

Last edited:

iHaunter

Because his company doesn't want to burn a bridge with, I don't know, Microsoft? Does that even need to be said?

Kagero

Which is predicated on absolutely nothing because the entire pipeline on the Series X is larger, there's more available memory bandwidth, a wider bus, no doubt more ROPs, more TMU's, higher pixel and texel rates...

It's total BS.
Just summarizing what he says. I'm a cave man so i defer to more intelligent people. I'm assuming he knows best about these things. If he says A is easier to program for B, and describes why. I would be inclined to believe him more than some average dude.

Dory16

Banned
The only problem with that is he uses unverifiable assertions to dispute verifiable facts. It's unverifiable that Vulkan has any value over Direct X Ultimate. There isn't a queue of developers concurring to that. If anything the DXUltimate reveal was unviersally praised by reviewers. Didn't see a bad word about it. It's also unverifiable that the XSX has any bottleneck that would mitigate its undisputable compute advantage. And he's not saying it ouright but he is strongly implying that bottlenecks are somehow more likely to exist in the XSX architecture than in the PS5's. Again nothing to back that up. He doesn't say which bottlenecks and where, just that they by definition will play in Sony's favour.

That being said, there is no evidence that he has developed on any of them so to say it should be taken with a pinch of salt is an understatement anyway.

I've been a developer long enough to know that everything, especially 2 products this close in design are always distinguished by tradeoffs. I came away from reading this knowing all about the personal preference of the interviewee and nothing about the contrast of pros vs cons and that's what bias is.

Sota4077

lol, claims to not care about the console war, proceeds to write a run on paragraph defensively ranting about the console war. Makes sense.

If you know that there are "countless articles" saying PS5 is more 'difficult' and you noticed people are "largely breezed over and ignored", then sorry homie, you are just as invested in these plastic boxes as anyone else,.

Yeah, doesn't sound like a bitter defensive fanboy stewing for weeks after reading numerous next gen speculation posts over the past year. Yup, doesn't care at all.

First off. Not sure why I would be a bitter fanboy. I literally own every single console. Here is proof, since I know you will ask for it to further this silly attack.

Second. Wow, way to remove the entire context of what I said there. "Not that I give a single shit about the console war or the idiots who fight it, but I do find is wildly entertaining that there have been countless articles to come out saying that PS5 is more difficult and countless that say it is easier." It is quite entertaining to me that you remove that bit from the end. I also then go on a tirade about how console warriors fight for companies that only care about them buying games. But that didn't fit your narrative either so you left that portion out. My point was that these article are constantly coming out. It is always a developer with an agenda until console warriors are reading the information they want to hear. Since this was about the PS5 I left my post in the context of talking about the perception of the PS5. I know--how "salty fanboy" of me.

First off. Not sure why I would be a bitter fanboy. I literally own every single console. Here is proof, since I know you will ask for it to further this silly attack.

Second. Wow, way to remove the entire context of what I said there. "Not that I give a single shit about the console war or the idiots who fight it, but I do find is wildly entertaining that there have been countless articles to come out saying that PS5 is more difficult and countless that say it is easier." It is quite entertaining to me that you remove that bit from the end. I also then go on a tirade about how console warriors fight for companies that only care about them buying games. But that didn't fit your narrative either so you left that portion out. My point was that these article are constantly coming out. It is always a developer with an agenda until console warriors are reading the information they want to hear. Since this was about the PS5 I left my post in the context of talking about the perception of the PS5. I know--how "salty fanboy" of me.
Owning every console won't save you from biased criticism.

This is my reality and I'll still be called an Xbot until the day I die even though my game room is littered with everything. It's unavoidable, the ability to purchase things doesn't make you an objective party.

okPZRnF.jpg

Funny you said that, how many Xbox fanboys accepted as truth what a random guy commented on that YouTube video, and he wasn't even a developer/engineer from a known company? Gosh, even Daniel and Jez from Windows Central did that.
This also shouldn't be done I agree, but Jez and Daniel said they have their own inside sources that have told them the same thing. So just a little different.

Last edited:
Not gonna lie, threads like this are working on me. My default impression was that third party games would run better on XsX vs PS5, but devs are making it sound like PS5 will set a good baseline that I could live with.

It also sounds like more devs are confident that Sony's SSD tech will lead to virtually no loading times vs Xbox's "faster" loading times. I can get behind that as well!

I have a feeling that I'll be tempted to make PS5 my "primary" machine next gen if this trend continues. I just need the strength to stay objective as Xbox has a ton of services and features I'd rather not leave behind.

ethomaz

Banned
I can think of two possibilities.

1) CryTek asked him to do that to avoid unnecessary issues with Sony or MS... that happens more than you think in corporate world.
2) He is being bullied by Xbox fans and the issues the exposure it can create for his job is not worth to keep going forward.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Not that I give a single shit about the console war or the idiots who fight it, but I do find is wildly entertaining that there have been countless articles to come out saying that PS5 is more difficult and countless that say it is easier on janky ass gaming blogs that sprouted up in the last year. Those were largely breezed over and ignored. There are endless breakdowns stating that it is less powerful. Those too were largely ignored. But finally, with this article--it is clear for console warriors. This source is the one that is unquestionably 100% accurate and reliable. Everything he says is gospel. The PS5 is the better console and the fewer CU's are better--So sayeth this gentleman. The PS5 is just the better console and will have better games the whole 9 yards. It is just hilarious that some of you are so invested in a plastic box when the person selling you the plastic box doesn't give a single shit about you other than that you buy games from them. They really do not need you out here fighting for their console. Haha. Ya'll just keep reading the words you want to hear and validate your love based on that. There were an awful lot of people stating definitively prior to the tech reveal that it would have a higher TF count too and now it is no longer about that. Its all about the SSD and the clock speed of those CU's. You fools will just keep moving the goal posts. Buy the console you want and just enjoy it. Is this silly bullshit really necessary to argue over specs that 95% of the people, myself included, commenting have no clue what they even mean?
you are the worst kind of warrior. you think you are better than everyone else, but you peddle the same bullshit.

if you got soo triggered you had to go on a long rant with no paragraphs then you are the one who is invested into defending and shitting on plastic boxes. get some perspective.

Not gonna lie, threads like this are working on me. My default impression was that third party games would run better on XsX vs PS5, but devs are making it sound like PS5 will set a good baseline that I could live with.

It also sounds like more devs are confident that Sony's SSD tech will lead to virtually no loading times vs Xbox's "faster" loading times. I can get behind that as well!

I have a feeling that I'll be tempted to make PS5 my "primary" machine next gen if this trend continues. I just need the strength to stay objective as Xbox has a ton of services and features I'd rather not leave behind.
Well the damage control is effectively making its rounds then, but make no mistake you're being sold a heap of propaganda and illogical dreams of weaker hardware outperforming more powerful hardware.

Not to say the PlayStation 5 is a slouch or anything because it's not, but don't get confused into thinking what's being sold here is being done with the best intentions. It's tactical misguiding.

Top Bottom