• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(*) Ali Salehi, a rendering engineer at Crytek contrasts the next Gen consoles in interview (Up: Tweets/Article removed)

Ashoca

Banned
So, the article and tweets associated with it have been removed. There goes any credibility this interview had.

To be honest, after seeing his twitter and instagram, the credibility was already lost.

PS5 is the best received console when you look at what reputable devs say.

Or the console that needs most damage control?

Last edited:

quest

Not Banned from OT
If this guy actually signed an NDA he’s going to get fired, and now Crytek has to damage control to not damage their relationship with MS/Sony.
Even if he did not sign a NDA I'm guessing he did not clear this interview with marketing department and is trying to avoid that call from HR about an unauthorized interview. He probably did not expect this to get this sort of attention oops. People these days really have to understand anything said online can go viral and your work will find out if it involves them.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Which has so much to do with all the hardware damage control showing up around here trying to convince people they're stupid by properly identifying that more is more, and not that less is more.

It is easy to see why regardless of anything else Phil wanted to win the numbers war as it makes for a lot easier PR and aggressive word of mouth and the amount of people that are willing and can debate the minutiae and all is small and the amount of people that listen beyond the headline sound bite is even smaller ;).

That was both a useful target and a smart one, especially when the brand was built around having the performance crown since its launch.

The funny bit is that some of the people on that side of the fence were furiously arguing against Sony’s higher numbers before, calling them bullshit hype, like with PS2 vs DC and GCN arguing how theoretical peaks and sustained numbers where totally different things. I wonder how many, suspect more than one ;).

Last edited:

ClearMind

Report me for console warring (Xbot, Xbro etc.)
Which has so much to do with all the hardware damage control showing up around here trying to convince people they're stupid by properly identifying that more is more, and not that less is more.
The only damage control Im seeing is from xbox fanatics teethering on insanity because the PS5 is receiving a lot of praise.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Well that is one way to interpret that, an other interpretation being it was taken down by Sony's or Crytek's request.
Why would Sony take down such an awesome PR piece ?

Edit : Apparently I cant reply to this thread because of this post.

Last edited:

INC

Nobody is denying the better specs of Xbox, so again, what are people supposedly going to be wrong about?

Btw, wasn't there a game last week that runs at higher framerate on Pro vs X?
Comments like yours will come back and bite you in the *bleep*.

Oooh u think I have a vested interest in one console?
I'm just answering your question dude x

CJY

Banned
Nobody is denying the better specs of XSX, so again, what are people supposedly going to be wrong about?

Comments like yours will come back and bite you in the *bleep*.
Cool down bro, I think he was just answering your question

Ashoca

Banned

Are you talking about Resident Evil 3 Remake? Well, it runs on a much higher resolution on Xbox compared to PS4. Don't know why the japanese dev just used dynamic res then 1X version would run much better actually. But well, japanese dev don't care about xbox anyways.

The only damage control Im seeing is from xbox fanatics teethering on insanity because the PS5 is receiving a lot of praise.
Funny all this praise is coming from people heavily associated with the brand in one regard or another, statements of praise are being redacted, and statements from contractually obligated developers conflict with what they said previously.

Seems legit.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Don't try to conflate internal document leaks as being the same as some guy running his mouth on the internet.

“...It ruins my narrative... sssh, you are not supposed to use our logic against the points we want to make”

I am just following the same logic and enjoying how, out of convenience, you want to twist it to say one thing and its opposite too :LOL:. You need to kind of decide how that works and apply the same logic to both supporting statements.

Last edited:
As far as I see it, a 17% delta in raw compute means diminishing returns, a few extra pixels and frames in some scenarios, not exactly anything revolutionary there, I/O efficiency and fast data transfer + SSD, however, das it. We will see.
It's 18% minimum, and couple that with the RT uplift and it's a substantial difference. RT regardless of having dedicated hardware cuts into raster heavily, so having not only more RT hardware but higher raster capability is a stark advantage.

Ashoca

Banned
I don’t agree. We have had a really detailed look into how the PS5 will operate. It’s a system built primarily on reducing bottlenecks.

Detailed? I think a lot of details are missing. We don't even now the base clocks. We don't even know the range of the variable frequencies. Anyways, there is still plenty of time. ☺️

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Thats only true for the xbox side. Bernkastel Bernkastel can hook you up for that bullshit.
The PS5 on the other hand is getting praise from third parties not associated with Sony in any way.
e02e5ffb5f980cd8262cf7f0ae00a4a9_press-x-to-doubt-memes-memesuper-la-noire-doubt-meme_419-238.png

Matt_Fox

(*) Is PS5 more powerful or the XSX? Ali Salehi, a rendering engineer at Crytek answers

OP, I just read the interview and I still don't know the answer! The interviewee says that the PS5 is the best console for working and coding.

The thread title claims to answer which is more powerful - gipped!

OP has changed the thread title or was it changed by mods?
The interviewee now says he wont stand by the interview?
Interview has been deleted from twitter?

Very fishy, what is going on here?!

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
It's 18% minimum, and couple that with the RT uplift and it's a substantial difference. RT regardless of having dedicated hardware cuts into raster heavily, so having not only more RT hardware but higher raster capability is a stark advantage.

You mean shading as raster seems to see the opposite camp with the “advantage” (same number of ROPS and rasteriser logic at higher frequency). Still, the advantage does not have multiplier factors as you imply there.

GHG

OP has changed the thread title or was it changed by mods?
The interviewee now says he wont stand by the interview?
Interview has been deleted from twitter?

Very fishy, what is going on here?!

Someone probably told him not to talk.

If anything that would mean he does actually have hands on experience with the two consoles despite what some people would like to believe.

CJY

Banned
I'm going to put my neck on the line and say that next-gen, PS5 games will almost universally have solid framerates and framepacing. It's to do with the variable clocks.

I think PS5 and its devkit is architected in a way that allows for very stable execution of a game. Devkit doesn't boost, so devs are optimising for example at a locked profile of 10.0TF/3.4Ghz, and when the game is run on the console, the clocks are unlocked and variable, boosting to the max for those split seconds when necessary. That means there is an extra performance ceiling on the console compared to the devkit. This will ensure steady framerates 99.9% of the time.

XSX might potentially have more unsteady framerates because they are using the old paradigm and devs will be fighting against that peak wall at all times througout development like in the current generation.

I hope nobody thinks I'm trying to shit on XSX, I'm just talking about old vs. new paradigm, and just theorizing. I'm pretty sure this is how it will play out though. XSX will produce more pixels.

Last edited:
You mean shading as raster seems to see the opposite camp with the “advantage” (same number of ROPS and rasteriser logic at higher frequency). Still, the advantage does not have multiplier factors as you imply there.
You have no idea what the ROPs are but given the divergence in base compute and CU's it's no doubt a higher count. Also no one said anything about a multiplier. If RT cuts into your rasterization rendering capability having more of it is a substantial advantage because you can push higher RT ceilings before you run into a net negative in performance relative to the competitions hardware.

As if you're not fully aware of this.

Last edited:

geordiemp

So, the article and tweets associated with it have been removed. There goes any credibility this interview had.

Your application of logic is quite fightening.

Point 1 : He cannot say that as it would break NDA

Point 2 : Taken down, probably due to NDA.....therefore not true ?

Really ? If there was no NDA then he is free to say what he likes. If he has NDA, it will be taken down and he will be repremanded.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Anyone who takes this guy as credible is truly deluded. Anyone being honest with themselves can see this Crytec guy not only hasn't developed a game for either brand, but also is a rabid Sony fanboy.
A Sony fanboy will never post that shameful tweet.

The dude basically fanboys Sony all over his twitter

Selective tweets?

👆

Last edited:

geordiemp

Well I guess an ex-Guerilla Games dev has way more credibility than someone who joined Crytek on 2018.

Or ex-Valve/Space X/Ensemble

15 years ago or something he was a dev yes, and since then has posted lots of negative about Sony and is friends with Timdog. Yeah thats funny

He has not developed games for allot of years, against a Crytek guy who is a devloper NOW. If you cannot distinguish teh difference then there is no hope.

Plot twist: he WILL BE fired by Crytek and might be contracted by game press to talk bollocks.

Fixed that for you. at least he can play games

UD4VfJI.png

Last edited:

PSbigfan

Neo Member
(*) Is PS5 more powerful or the XSX? Ali Salehi, a rendering engineer at Crytek answers

OP, I just read the interview and I still don't know the answer! The interviewee says that the PS5 is the best console for working and coding.

The thread title claims to answer which is more powerful - gipped!
Maybe because you have mind
to think with it not a brain like the most of people here.

Last edited:
Top Bottom