• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(*) Ali Salehi, a rendering engineer at Crytek contrasts the next Gen consoles in interview (Up: Tweets/Article removed)

CJY

Banned
Because he still works for cryotek and anything he says reflects badly on the company. Companies don't like it when their employees shit talk others as it can lose/effect a potential contract down the road.

Its not rocket science.

I agree, but the fact he only recently got promoted from being a Junior suggest to me that if there is any validity to this interview, he's probably just sharing what the overall sentiment is of the team at Crytek. There's no way he feels this way alone, and Crytek internally feel differently. Of course Crytek wouldn't want it public though.

Anyway, Crytek do have a serious axe to grind with Microsoft, so none of this is any surprise. I also wouldn't even be surprised if it's all a hoax.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Not gonna lie, threads like this are working on me. My default impression was that third party games would run better on XsX vs PS5, but devs are making it sound like PS5 will set a good baseline that I could live with.

It also sounds like more devs are confident that Sony's SSD tech will lead to virtually no loading times vs Xbox's "faster" loading times. I can get behind that as well!

I have a feeling that I'll be tempted to make PS5 my "primary" machine next gen if this trend continues. I just need the strength to stay objective as Xbox has a ton of services and features I'd rather not leave behind.
if you care about resolution, games will simply run better on xbox. there is no denying that. there is no way the ps5 can exceed the series x's resolution potential.

with that said, there is a good chance the ps5 still pushes high resolutions and exclusive features like faster loading and maybe better assets. we will see, but this is definitely promising.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
No. This isn't true at all. It's become questionable if he has access to development kits from either platform, until he confirms as such. This is just speculation with a bit of wish fulfilment tossed in based on what's available publicly on the internet - posing as an interview article.

It's not speculation on his part.

1. He works in the gaming software development industry as an employee of a triple-A studio.

2. He makes a statement that strongly implies that he's restricted by a Nondisclosure Agreement (NDA), which would be the case only if he has access to PS5 and XSX dev kits himself, which would make sense since he works for a triple-A studio, which would definitely be given dev kits. Hence, his statements about the consoles are very likely based on his personal experience with them.

3. Even if he doesn't have access to PS5 and XSX dev kits himself, he certainly knows other people in the industry who can describe them to him in very specific and technical terms that would enable him to expound on them and compare them.

4. The PS5's highly efficient design and software support render the difference between its level of power and that of the XSX in real-world performance negligible, all the while making it much faster in terms of asset-loading and streaming.

Because his company doesn't want to burn a bridge with, I don't know, Microsoft? Does that even need to be said?

Or maybe just maybe he's talking total BS like anybody with logic has realized already. Crytek are probably embarrassed as he's speaking in their name since he's an employee.

He knows being a fanboy is bad for himself, his employer and his career.

I'm calling him a fanboy because nobody with a normal brain would come to the conclusions he has come to unless you have an agenda.

Dabaus

Banned
You mean to tell me teraflop numbers are not the end all be all of a console and a lot of other factors can determine how powerful and efficient the console is? I’m shocked !

Also fun fact the thread was locked on ree. Just further proof and evidence that their mods are running cover for Microsoft right now.

Yeah, I mean just look at this twitter and instagram, before he made it private, it was 100% full of sony praising tweets. Come on, it ain't hard to see.

Anyways, we will see when the games arrive, what the truth is in the end.
Does that include his post where he bought an Xbox One X?

So far I've seen people present a whole two tweets where he was praising two widely-praised PS games as proof he was "literally evangelizing" about the company.

Well the damage control is effectively making its rounds then, but make no mistake you're being sold a heap of propaganda and illogical dreams of weaker hardware outperforming more powerful hardware.

Not to say the PlayStation 5 is a slouch or anything because it's not, but don't get confused into thinking what's being sold here is being done with the best intentions. It's tactical misguiding.
if you care about resolution, games will simply run better on xbox. there is no denying that. there is no way the ps5 can exceed the series x's resolution potential.

with that said, there is a good chance the ps5 still pushes high resolutions and exclusive features like faster loading and maybe better assets. we will see, but this is definitely promising.

Oh wow, seems like I need some clarity here. I'm not of the mind that PS5 will somehow run games better than the Series X. It's just that it looks like the gap in performance won't be as large as I would have expected at first.

I'm not making any purchasing decisions right this second, and I plan on getting both consoles in the end. I just need to pick what I'll start with on day one.

ethomaz

Banned
Yeah, I mean just look at this twitter and instagram, before he made it private, it was 100% full of sony praising tweets. Come on, it ain't hard to see.

Anyways, we will see when the games arrive, what the truth is in the end.
That false.

There is few PS tweet when somebody asked him about.
And there is tweets about Xbox One X that is the only console he bought this gen.

So that makes him Xbox fanboy?

BTW his twitter is public again so you can check if you wish.

Google "All in all, Sony and Microsoft's hardships are good enough to serve the constructors, but it's very good for Pliers. I've had a lot of problems with PES on my computer, and it's been a hundred times better since I played Xbox. "

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
You have no idea what the ROPs are but given the divergence in base compute and CU's it's no doubt a higher count. Also no one said anything about a multiplier. If RT cuts into your rasterization rendering capability having more of it is a substantial advantage because you can push higher RT ceilings before you run into a net negative in performance relative to the competitions hardware.

Not really sure then where depth testing is made, MSAA samples are resolved, where blending occurs, where reads and writes from back buffer and off screen render targets occur, where you decompress and compress color and depth data, etc... uhm... those look and smell like ROP’s. The other part of the process, which most people link to rasterisation (calculation of fragment/sample coverage for the primitive being processed) occurs in a different unit (see posts linked below for the GPU diagram).

What is your basis on the number of ROPS? I gave mine based on the RDNA architecture white paper and current GPU’s available from AMD (which has 4 RB’s per Shader Array and I see XSX having 7 DCU per Shader Areay and 4 Shader Arrays total and two SCU’s disabled) , you have implied (“must be more, has to be more, we always have more”) and insulted.

See:

Also no one said anything about a multiplier. If RT cuts into your rasterization rendering capability having more of it is a substantial advantage because you can push higher RT ceilings before you run into a net negative in performance relative to the competitions hardware.

As if you're not fully aware of this.

I agree with you about RT using shader ALU’s to do the actual rendering (on top of the HW for the day intersection tests and BHV updates which is in the texture units hardware inside each CU) making it necessary to target a slightly lower ceiling on PS5 before eating in the regular rendering budget. That seems like a tautology since the actual shading is done by the same ALU’s shared with the rest of the rendering tasks. Nobody is disputing the XSX has an advantage there, just the math that multiplied the advantage when doing hybrid rendering.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Or maybe just maybe he's talking total BS like anybody with logic has realized already. Crytek are probably embarrassed as he's speaking in their name since he's an employee.

He knows being a fanboy is bad for himself, his employer and his career.

I'm calling him a fanboy because nobody with a normal brain would come to the conclusions he has come to unless you have an agenda.
So you think what he said is bullshit then the whole Cerny interview was bullshit too because he only talked about the points that Cerny shared in Road of PS5 (to avoid break NDA like he said at begin).

You mean to tell me teraflop numbers are not the end all be all of a console and a lot of other factors can determine how powerful and efficient the console is? I’m shocked !

Also fun fact the thread was locked on ree. Just further proof and evidence that their mods are running cover for Microsoft right now.
No teraflops are not everything but contextually speaking they kind of are when you break down the sum of the whole. When you're running the identical architecture and you have more ROPs, more TMU's, a wider bus, more CU's and as a result the teraflops eclipse that of comparative hardware you absolutely and indisputably have more effective rendering hardware.

There's no push and shove to this, there's no argument to be had, there's no maybe's in the equation, it's a done deal.

The thread was closed on ResetEra because like here it was quite clear that the credibility of this person and what they said evaporated into thin air.

First off. Not sure why I would be a bitter fanboy. I literally own every single console. Here is proof, since I know you will ask for it to further this silly attack.

ROFL. It's not that serious bro. And no, I wasn't going to persue my 'attack', even though owning multiple consoles doesn't mean anything.

My point is that you act like your above it all by calling people console warriors, while your post suggests otherwise. Even going as far as taking a photo with a written note to defend yourself (which wasn't necessary at all, like seriously, I'm a stranger on the internet, why does it matter? lol)

Bro, you care about this shit, ALOT. Nothing wrong about that at all, but don't be a phony about it and accuse others of warring.

Nero_PR

Banned
I just want a generation that has good launch titles. That is the only thing that makes me regret it when jumping to a new console early. No one remembers Killzone Shadowfall, Infamous Second Son was a step down compared to Infamous 2, Halo 4 was meh, I'm actually having a bad time remembering good early this gen games. Oh, and we got lots and lots of bad remasters.

I'm starting reconsidering buying the consoles in their first year. If I buy it, I will probably be playing better versions of already released cross-gen titles, backward compatibility games.

Tarkus98

So you believe less CUs are better than more CUs?
Personally I don’t think less CU’s is better. I think the right amount of CU’s running at their peak speed is better.
Now who between Microsoft and Sony got this “more right” remains to be seen but it appears that from this article Sony has found the better overall frequency here.
I just want to see this in practice and not on paper please.

JLB

Banned
Owning every console won't save you from biased criticism.

This is my reality and I'll still be called an Xbot until the day I die even though my game room is littered with everything. It's unavoidable, the ability to purchase things doesn't make you an objective party.

okPZRnF.jpg

Jesus, this is a god level game room. Congratz!
Love that DC corner :)

Last edited:

Quasicat

I’m not a developer but I am wondering, is Windows (and subsequently Direct X 12) really that hard to develop towards?
He really seems to hate Windows.

sircaw

Banned
I just want a generation that has good launch titles. That is the only thing that makes me regret it when jumping to a new console early. No one remembers Killzone Shadowfall, Infamous Second Son was a step down compared to Infamous 2, Halo 4 was meh, I'm actually having a bad time remembering good early this gen games. Oh, and we got lots and lots of bad remasters.

I'm starting reconsidering buying the consoles in their first year. If I buy it, I will probably be playing better versions of already released cross-gen titles, backward compatibility games.

You have a good point there.

With that aside i do like the idea of instant loading times and instant fast travel, i really hate long loading screens, i can only game sometimes for 30-45 mins at a time, just the thought of having to sit and wait for a minute plus for a loading screen makes me rather choose another game to play.

I am old and my reactions suck now, i die alot in games lol. So less loading is a god send to someone like me.

Just alone on the benefits of loading and 60 fps potential makes me want to buy the next generation console at the start of its conception.

So yer about new games, i totally get your point.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I’m not a developer but I am wondering, is Windows (and subsequently Direct X 12) really that hard to develop towards?
It's not, but because Xbox and PC already achieved simplicity of development and only Sony/Nintendo using some archaic shit, it needs to be talked about every fucking generation.

CJY

Banned
People who say games will obviously "perform better" on XSX are likely mistaken, but only time will really tell. The specs suggest that to be the case, but other info suggests the exact opposite.

Anyway, "performs better" is absolutely subjective. Some might like higher Resolution, others high framerate, others lower, but exceptionally-stable framerates. There is no way the XSX is OP'd enough to outclass PS5 in all these areas, it didn't even happen with PS4 Pro and X1X. Pro frequently having better framerates in games.

I even think XSX will struggle to outclass PS5 in anything, even though it has 2TF more GPU performance and the on-paper specs looks superior.

Why? It all comes down to the devs and API and the ease of optimisation. Optomisation is absolutely key in development. Everything I've read, listened to, heard and understand about PS5 suggests that PS5 is far easier to extract full performance out of and far easier to optimise for. It's down to the "Fixed power-profiles" on PS5 devkit and the "variable continous boost" on the console working in tamdem to make life easier for devs and maximise performance for the end user.

XSX games have a good chance of looking slightly better (i.e. higher res, more effects) at the end of the gen, but I think Sony will hold the crown for consistent framerates throughout this generation.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
I'm starting to think that Xbox fans are getting butthurt because PS5 still gets more attention despite being less powerful and continues to dominate polls asking about next-gen interest.

Not to mention that every developer talking positive about PS5 is getting trashed and accused of shilling.
I think a lot of them thought it would be like the PS4 and Xbox One switching roles next generation

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
Not to stir trouble, but

So you’re saying I shouldn’t take the opinion of someone who has been in the industry for years and currently works as an engineer for Crytek more seriously over a random Twitter user whose dad used to work for Sony? Ok guy. 👌🏾

Yeah some wants you to believe only what they wanted .. and that’s weird
Many professional has their opinions on new consoles .. And yet some people think that a random user or a member with anime pic is more pro than devs ..

That’s fucked up

Everyone can believe and like what they want ..

ethomaz

Banned
Windows has too many issues due its legacy code... it is basically a patchwork.
I do like it due compatibility (most softwares only works on Windows) and it a default UI that everybody knows.
I do prefer Mac OS X for personal tasks but my working is purely Windows (the devtools only works on Windows too).

DirextX 12 (or any DirectX) API is an abstraction layer that makes multi-platform development easier but it is still hard than develop to one single platform with a focused API to the hardware.... optimization in DirectX for single platforms is not easy too because it is more a generalist API.
The adoption by devs are pretty slow too... below most expectations... maybe it can be changed with the new DX12U.

It is not and neither the last time devs will praise PS SDK over the MS XDK because it really makes the work on PlayStation easier.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

Do we still have people holding out hope that PS5 is somehow more powerful despite inferior hardware? What was translated (badly, in some spots) is not what was said in the thread title. I’m glad he thinks the PS5 will be easier to develop for, both consoles should be good, but he confirms XSX is more powerful.
I'm not saying XSX isn't more powerful but they'll be very close and when you have developers saying one console performs at its peak more often well

B_Boss

The dude basically fanboys Sony all over his twitter

Well I think, be it an MS or a Sony fanboy, we should examine their claims (especially from a technical interview of the likes of Salehi’s recently) and try not allowing their potential (or alleged) bias to blur our own analysis of their claims or presentation. I guess the genuine question is, can a fanboy be honest or state facts even if certain degrees unlikely? I won’t say Salehi is absolutely right in all he has said (or wrong for that matter) but that what he has said in general in the interview is what I’ve seen/read here and there. Certainly doesn’t make it true but definitely food for thought alongside the good/bad posted about Series X 🍻.

I’m actually hoping some good digging can be done to ensure that Salehi is accurate in the interview and not being a mere fanboy without a technical scientific basis or to ensure that even the interview isn’t a hoax of some sort, etc.

Last edited:
No teraflops are not everything but contextually speaking they kind of are when you break down the sum of the whole.
Almost every single developer and person in software coding that I've seen speak on this has said this is untrue. It's a factor, it's not "everything in context".

You Xbox guys really do keep living up to the "but muh Tflops" meme all while bashing the PS guys for the "but muh SSD" and it's just amusing as all hell.

Almost every single developer and person in software coding that I've seen speak on this has said this is untrue. It's a factor, it's not "everything in context".

You Xbox guys really do keep living up to the "but muh Tflops" meme all while bashing the PS guys for the "but muh SSD" and it's just amusing as all hell.
One has practical results, the other is theorized.

We know how teraflops relate to rendering throughput not only based upon decades of x86 history but also through AMD's architectures whether in consoles over the last 7 years or their discrete graphics cards.

You don't have a leg to stand on. This benefit is universally known, how the SSD thing pans out is nothing but guesswork.

One has practical results, the other is theorized.

We know how teraflops relate to rendering throughput not only based upon decades of x86 history but also through AMD's architectures whether in consoles over the last 7 years or their discrete graphics cards.

You don't have a leg to stand on. This benefit is universally known, how the SSD thing pans out is nothing but guesswork.
There you go again, clinging to Tflops.

They relate to it, they're a factor, they're still not "everything in context", as you allege.

If telling yourself that makes you feel superior to the other fanboy camp, then by all means, chatter away. But you're still fanboying far harder than you want to admit when you say things like that.

Mendou

Banned
I'm quoting others who have made a public statement
seems to me
So in some scenarios
it will not probably reach its 12 Teraflops
in most cases
developers are likely to work with a smaller number of cores
aren't necessarily good
are not necessarily
should be
I don't think
We'll probably see
you can't trust these numbers
PlayStation 5 is a better console

There are too many vague assumptions made in this interview and the premise that a console with stronger specs = worse is ridiculous. The man doesn't sound confident in what he's saying.

The games will be the deciding factor here, not anecdotes.

CJY

Banned
PS5's "Variable Clocks" was a psyche and a bait-and-switch by Cerny/Sony, forcing MS to announce "Fixed Clocks".
(This single fact confirms my personal suspicion that XSX employs a "reactionary" console strategy more than any other announcement)

XSX has slightly more power, but that power will remain largely untapped due to those fixed clocks and a harder-to-optimise development paradigm.

XSX will be amazing in its own right, the price-to-power ratio will likely be very favourable for both consoles.

XSX games will be bad-good-great, but people are going to be absolutely shocked by PS5's games and minds will be blown.

Last edited:
PS5's "Variable Clocks" was a psyche and a bait-and-switch by Cerny/Sony, forcing MS to announce "Fixed Clocks".
(This single fact confirms my personal suspicion that XSX employs a "reactionary" console strategy more than any other announcement)
That could explain why their initial talk essentially "Me Too'd" everything from that first Wired article.

And why their devkits allegedly got handed out later.

Hobbygaming

Windows has too many issues due its legacy code... it is basically a patchwork.
I do like it due compatibility (most softwares only works on Windows) and it a default UI that everybody knows.
I do prefer Mac OS X for personal tasks but my working is purely Windows (the devtools only works on Windows too).

DirextX 12 (or any DirectX) API is an abstraction layer that makes multi-platform development easier but it is still hard than develop to one single platform with a focused API to the hardware.... optimization in DirectX for single platforms is not easy too because it is more a generalist API.
The adoption by devs are pretty slow too... below most expectations... maybe it can be changed with the new DX12U.

It is not and neither the last time devs will praise PS SDK over the MS XDK because it really makes the work on PlayStation easier.
This is what I thought too when he spoke about DirectX it's good for versatility between porting for PC and Xbox but PlayStation's lower level APIs like GNM are better at allowing deeper access to the hardware

And it sounds like Sony has even revamped their tools and API for the PS5

Last edited:

splattered

Reee covering for Microsoft? You do realize what you just said, yes?

Era absolutely hates all things xbox, it's worse than it is over here.

wait I thought the PS5 was efficient, not powerful? We shifting the narrative again? It’s both now? Hard to keep up

wait I thought the PS5 was efficient, not powerful? We shifting the narrative again? It’s both now? Hard to keep up
They're not mutually exclusive concepts. The PS5 can be both more efficient AND more powerful in practice than people think.

I don't think anyone's disputing that the Series X has more muscle, just how much more of a comparative impact it will have in real-world application.

There you go again, clinging to Tflops.

They relate to it, they're a factor, they're still not "everything in context", as you allege.

If telling yourself that makes you feel superior to the other fanboy camp, then by all means, chatter away. But you're still fanboying far harder than you want to admit when you say things like that.
You guys are going to get nuked into orbit over all of this, this is by far the most foolish thing to double down on I've ever seen. You're not really trying to break down how this 12 teraflops is arrived at and how the rest of the system caters to it. You're merely looking at the number and saying "teraflops aren't everything" while people are literally telling you how they factor in.

There's more bandwidth available to the GPU, the bus is wider, there's more shaders, more CU's, more TMU's, undoubtedly more ROPs, the pixel and texel fill rates will be higher. We've been over this, if the Series X had only 44 CU's which would pin it at about 10.3 teraflops it would still outperform the PlayStation 5's GPU even at peak operation. Frequencies are not a 1:1 substitute for CU's, they can get you close to the performance of increased CU's but teraflop for teraflop they are not equal. There's not one aspect of the PlayStations 5's GPU which can overcome the Series X GPU or the pipeline set out for it.

You guys act like there's something secret happening in the background, there's not, every aspect of the rendering pipeline for the Series X is superior. The hardware is better regardless of frequencies, it has more bandwidth afforded to it, it has a wider bus to handle the workload, there's literally nothing about the PlayStation 5 GPU or its pipeline which measures up.

It's inferior across the board, that gives weight to teraflops, especially considering they're the same architecture. You guys are falling on the dumbest sword imaginable.

Evilms

Banned
Summary

• Using all the CUs at once won't be that easy.
  • The configuration of Xbox ram with one fast and one slower pool will be problematic.
  • Sony's dedicated tools and APIs are better than DirectX.
  • High frequencies means more advantages than disadvantages.
  • The PS5 will easily reach its 10.3 Tflops peak.
  • The XSX will only reach its theoretical peak of 12TF in the best of cases because of the lower frequencies.
  • Developers prefer to work with fewer but faster CUs (he takes the example of intel cpus versus amd cpus, intel best in gaming).
  • The XSX will have no problem displaying more pixels on the screen on late generation games.
  • The PS5 is a better choice for programmers/developers.

CJY

Banned
That could explain why their initial talk essentially "Me Too'd" everything from that first Wired article.

And why their devkits allegedly got handed out later.
Absolutely. Multiple reports suggests that the SSD was absolutely reactionary and that they were originally going to use a mechanical HD.

I'm glad they decided to copy Sony though, as it raises the overall baseline for next-gen.

I think XSX is going to fail on the market though with this "reactivity" mentality. The only time they ever led (360) was when they understood what it means to be a leader and setting the stage. I hope Xbox survive another round after next one and hopefully they will come to this realisation that they need to lead in innovation and games (lots of top-tier games) to have any chance to win the console war.

Something tells me they'll gain much success with xCloud in the next few years and if that happens, they might reduce their attention on the console/AAA-space. I certainly hope not though, cos I hate the idea streaming games.

I truly cannot believe how *much* people seem to care about what will ultimately amount to minor differences in technical terms in the end.

Do any of you (that are so wrapped up in the hardware dick measuring) care about games?

Last edited:
You guys are going to get nuked into orbit over all of this, this is by far the most foolish thing to double down on I've ever seen. You're not really trying to break down how this 12 teraflops is arrived at and how the rest of the system caters to it. You're merely looking at the number and saying "teraflops aren't everything" while people are literally telling you how they factor in.

There's more bandwidth available to the GPU, the bus is wider, there's more shaders, more CU's, more TMU's, undoubtedly more ROPs, the pixel and texel fill rates will be higher. We've been over this, if the Series X had only 44 CU's which would pin it at about 10.3 teraflops it would still outperform the PlayStation 5's GPU even at peak operation. Frequencies are not a 1:1 substitute for CU's, they can get you close to the performance of increased CU's but teraflop for teraflop they are not equal. There's not one aspect of the PlayStations 5's GPU which can overcome the Series X GPU or the pipeline set out for it.

You guys act like there's something secret happening in the background, there's not, every aspect of the rendering pipeline for the Series X is superior. The hardware is better regardless of frequencies, it has more bandwidth afforded to it, it has a wider bus to handle the workload, there's literally nothing about the PlayStation 5 GPU or its pipeline which measures up.

It's inferior across the board, that gives weight to teraflops, especially considering they're the same architecture. You guys are falling on the dumbest sword imaginable.
Whatever makes you feel better about stanning a system you haven't even so much as used yet, boski. It doesn't upset me near as much as you want it to. I'm a realist. lol

The fact of the matter is, despite all this, you STILL said that Tflops were "everything" when viewed in context, which isn't true. You fanboy'd even as you decry others for making silly fanboy comments. You didn't just say how they factored in, you said that, in context, they WERE indeed "everything". They're still not. They're a big piece, but far, far from "everything.

You can toss out irrelevant hardware differences to try to upset me (for whatever reason) all you like, but the fact is... you're just as much a fanboy who's pretending to be above the fray and enlightened. You're not.

Top Bottom