• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien: Isolation passes 1 million units sold

Google

Cant we just be happy for the team? I'm sure they had realistic expectations of this title and while 1million is not stellar when up against other big hitters, lets assume they had a plan and this will allow them to execute a sequel that will hopefully reach a bigger audience.

Not a particularly good example but Dead Space 2 doubled the numbers that the original put down.

Hopefully A:I can do the same thing.

Shredderi

Regardless of the budget I think one million for a horror title is actually pretty good. I think that's realistic. I would never expect a true horror title to sell many millions so I hope their budget wasn't too big because I think that for pure horror titles it's difficult to sell after a certain number and no amount of budget increase and production values will push the title towards more sales. Horror just isn't that mainstream. I'm not talking about "horror" games like the new resident evil titles.

It definitely deserves to sell more, but at the very least, it didn't bomb horrendously. As Steam games have a very, very long shelf life, hopefully, it continues to sell for years on Steam.

PooBone

Congrats to the Creative Assembly team :)

cI3MdGp.png

https://twitter.com/AlienIsolation/status/557932644269588480

Nice. It's a great game and it deserves to sell even more. I'm not sure if this is indicative of high quality for an Alien game selling well vs the normal shovelware, or on the other hand how niche the horror market is that a well-made game in a beloved IP only sells 1 million units? I dunno how Sega will take it but I hope they fund a sequel and I hope the industry gets more AAA games in that genre.

No financial expert here but 1m copies sold of what is essential a pretty niche horror game sounds pretty impressive to me.

Like everyone else has said, awesome game. Im definitely hoping that there is another game coming down the line.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
For comparisons sake Colonial Marines took 3 months to 1.3 million. Still not sure if I want a sequel to Isolation though, the idea of CA taking on something like Terminator is very appealing.
As a massive Terminator fan this would be very appealing, but whoever has the license are no doubt content with shitting out a crappy movie game instead of getting a talented studio like this to make something good.

Nuke Soda

Nice to see a triple A game with little fighting and shooting sell nice. Just bought the game and personally I am not really enjoying it which sucks because I was really looking forward to savoring it. Still it is nice to see something off kilter for big budget games do well.

My guess is that these reviewers had to blast through this game as fast as possible which leads to two big problems:

1. Your nervous system gets wrecked from the constant tension (I could only play in about 2 hour intervals and I found that perfect length of time without becoming too fatigued.)

2. You get impatient and this game will not hesitate to punish you for making rushed movements, which can be frustrating.

It deserves a whole lot more than that but I am glad they are happy with it.

I support every single game from them for now on. They are incredibly talented.

If only the majority of the gamers would read NeoGAF instead of that crap IGN/Gamespot, sales would have probably been much higher.

Jobbs

Banned
My guess is that these reviewers had to blast through this game as fast as possible which leads to two big problems:

1. Your nervous system gets wrecked from the constant tension (I could only play in about 2 hour intervals and I found that perfect length of time without becoming too fatigued.)

2. You get impatient and this game will not hesitate to punish you for making rushed movements, which can be frustrating.

dumb reviewers dinging something that is different from what they're used to (happened with Zombi U, quite famously from Gamespot who gave it like a 4) can really hurt a game's reputation and it's a real uphill battle getting back into the general public's good graces.

Polygon, IGN, and gamespot all were pretty rough on this game -- for dumb reasons, sure, but what ultimately matters is the scores were low and that has a far reaching effect on the public perception. Such a shame.

dumb reviewers dinging something that is different from what they're used to (happened with Zombi U, quite famously from Gamespot who gave it like a 4) can really hurt a game's reputation and it's a real uphill battle getting back into the general public's good graces.

Polygon, IGN, and gamespot all were pretty rough on this game -- for dumb reasons, sure, but what ultimately matters is the scores were low and that has a far reaching effect on the public perception. Such a shame.

Yeah, this is my biggest fear that if they do make a sequel, it will be dumbed down for the masses, with more combat and shit.

Glass

Congrats to all those involved. I hope they consider that a success internally and we can see something similar from the same team. Of course it deserves to be 10 times that for the experience I had with it. It provided a very rare gaming experience, and did the film justice in terms of tone, tension, atmosphere. Cannot be praised enough.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Hardly GTA numbers, but I'm still chuffed to bits for them as this was my favourite game in almost a decade. Was worried it would completely bomb.

Jobbs

Banned
Yeah, this is my biggest fear that if they do make a sequel, it will be dumbed down for the masses, with more combat and shit.

well, having successfully embodied "Alien" in a video game, if they next were to successfully embody "Aliens" in a video game I don't think I'd complain.

Why are people not buying this!? Sort it out people!

The DLC shenanigans combined with some negative reviews kept me away... but as I've been hearing more about the game, it sounds like I absolutely need to play it. At this point though I just don't see myself paying full price for a copy, especially one that does not include the Ellen Ripley mission.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I love the aliens world, but is the game really difficult? I don't want to be stuck on it if I get it..

It can be brutally tough if you are known as a run and gun gamer and don't have a lot of patience. But I think anyone will find the game to be doable if they take it slow and make an effort to understand the type of game its trying to be.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
well, having successfully embodied "Alien" in a video game, if they next were to successfully embody "Aliens" in a video game I don't think I'd complain.

Yeah, they can make an Aliens game and it still keep much of the same gameplay of Alien.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I exptected a lil but more with that license. But if they are happy everything is good

Whatever advantage the license may have given them was probably completely negated by the fallout of Colonial Marines.

I honestly didn't think it was possible to hate that pathetic lie of a game any more, I was wrong.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
If I'm representative (which I'm probably not) I'd say the previous poster was right that this might have a long tail.

The mixed initial reviews and my own doubts about how much fun the game would be over the course of a 15+ hr story have pretty much been eroded to the point that I'll definitely be picking it up at some point this year.

IGN's review probably took a big chunk off the sales.

Markitron

Yeah, they can make an Aliens game and it still keep much of the same gameplay of Alien.

Yea I reckon there's a way to keep the tension and balance it with some modest gunplay. If they could balance it in such a way that one Alien is killable every now and then, but 2 or more and you will have to hide, that would be perfect imo.

They can do Aliens without it being a CoD style/co-op shooter.

The mixed initial reviews and my own doubts about how much fun the game would be over the course of a 15+ hr story have pretty much been eroded to the point that I'll definitely be picking it up at some point this year.

IGN's review probably took a big chunk off the sales.

That's the annoying thing, I personally son't consider the reviews to be mixed at all. They were mostly positive, except for Gamespot and IGN. The IGN review was awful, he complained that the game was too hard despite choosing hard difficulty (among many other things). This kinda shit makes it hard to take it seriously.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Well deserved. I just started playing yesterday and it's been an amazing experience so far. Game is tense as hell.

I died so many times in the medical center. Alien is like it's rubber banded to me.

Justinsimonin

Neo Member
Good to hear! Not a perfect game, but Creative Assembly managed to make a good (licensed!) game with a killer atmosphere against all odds. I hope this gives them the financial freedom to continue to make interesting new IPs and doesn't damn them to just make more Alien games forever

Top Bottom