• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aliens and UFOs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aggelos

I'm sure I could look this up, but just had a quick thought. Is radio the only thing that SETI is monitoring?

Nope.
They're looking for anything that might occlude the light of a star (such as a so-called Dyson Sphere or any other astroengineering project being run by a highly advanced civilization).

Tabby's Star was thought to be a Dyson Sphere.

They're looking for anything that cannot be explained by the known laws of nature (and our knowledge of the Universe), such as the disappearance of star, a star that has gone missing, etc

"On March 16, 1950, astronomers at the US Naval Observatory pointed a telescope roughly in the direction of the constellation Lupus the wolf and took a picture. When scientists look at that same patch of sky today, something is missing, and it could be evidence of something else lurking out there.
Back in 2016, researchers in Sweden reported that a star had been lost. One of the roiling distant suns visible in that USNO image from the previous century could no longer be seen, even with the more advanced and sensitive digital sky surveys in use today.

"Unless a star directly collapses into a black hole, there is no known physical process by which it could physically vanish," explains a new study published in the Astronomical Journal and led by Beatriz Villarroel of Stockholm University and Spain's Instituto de Astrofísica de Canarias. "The implications of finding such objects extend from traditional astrophysics fields to the more exotic searches for evidence of technologically advanced civilizations."
"

StormCell

Nope.
They're looking for anything that might occlude the light of a star (such as a so-called Dyson Sphere or any other astroengineering project being run by a highly advanced civilization).

Tabby's Star was thought to be a Dyson Sphere.

They're looking for anything that cannot be explained by the known laws of nature (and our knowledge of the Universe), such as the disappearance of star, a star that has gone missing, etc

"On March 16, 1950, astronomers at the US Naval Observatory pointed a telescope roughly in the direction of the constellation Lupus the wolf and took a picture. When scientists look at that same patch of sky today, something is missing, and it could be evidence of something else lurking out there.
Back in 2016, researchers in Sweden reported that a star had been lost. One of the roiling distant suns visible in that USNO image from the previous century could no longer be seen, even with the more advanced and sensitive digital sky surveys in use today.

"Unless a star directly collapses into a black hole, there is no known physical process by which it could physically vanish," explains a new study published in the Astronomical Journal and led by Beatriz Villarroel of Stockholm University and Spain's Instituto de Astrofísica de Canarias. "The implications of finding such objects extend from traditional astrophysics fields to the more exotic searches for evidence of technologically advanced civilizations."
"

Great response. Thanks.

Pretty interesting stuff regarding stars going missing. Don't you just hate "pop in" when stuff appears/disappears off in the distance like that??

INC

Not directly about UFO's, but interest how you can't always trust what you see

higgeRN.jpg

MadAnon

higgeRN.jpg

It could be a ship but it could be a saucer disguised as a ship because I haven't seen a Fata Morgana quite like this. They are never this pronounced. As a wise man in this thread once said "Could go either way."
tenor.gif

Last edited:

higgeRN.jpg

How can you trust the brain when all it takes is a few carefully constructed lines on a piece of paper can cause an optical illusion that the brain cannot make sense of.

The lowest form of evidence that exists in this world is eyewitness testimony - Neil De Grasse Tyson

Romulus

Shhhh, don't tell the UFO believers. You'll crush them.

Lol, that's not crushing anyone. Big difference between the extremely well documented cases and shit like that. And lol at using Neil as some baseline for all things in the universe. We cant even figure out how to treat the common cold or dozens of BASIC mysteries of the universe, yet you chose the most 'public relations' astrophysicist on the planet that somehow knows all.

Last edited:
Lol, that's not crushing anyone. Big difference between the extremely well documented cases and shit like that. And lol at using Neil as some baseline for all things in the universe. We cant even figure out how to treat the common cold or dozens of BASIC mysteries of the universe, yet you chose the most 'public relations' astrophysicist on the planet that somehow knows all.
Science will find the answers to the questions we can't yet answer.
You can't rely on the human senses to measure gravitational waves, magnetic fields or find the cure for smallpox.
The same way you can't rely on your sight to identify an object in the sky that's moving at rapid speed, disappearing and reappearing etc.
I made example before about optical illusions and how our brains cannot make sense of them. The brain is easily fooled and our desire to want to know stuff overtakes any rational thought.

So yeah as much as you want to bash Neil, he is right. I'm not a fanboy of his but I do listen to people who make sense.
He is not wrong when he says that eyewitness testimony is the most unreliable form of evidence.

I can claim tomorrow that I saw a spaceship. What proof do I have of this? I SAW IT. Nigga pleaze
giphy.gif

Last edited:

Romulus

Science will find the answers to the questions we can't yet answer.
You can't rely on the human senses to measure gravitational waves, magnetic fields or find the cure for smallpox.
The same way you can't rely on your sight to identify an object in the sky that's moving at rapid speed, disappearing and reappearing etc.
I made example before about optical illusions and how our brains cannot make sense of them. The brain is easily fooled and our desire to want to know stuff overtakes any rational thought.

So yeah as much as you want to bash Neil, he is right. I'm not a fanboy of his but I do listen to people who make sense.
He is not wrong when he says that eyewitness testimony is the most unreliable form of evidence.

I can claim tomorrow that I saw a spaceship. What proof do I have of this? I SAW IT. Nigga pleaze
giphy.gif

What are you even saying here? Science is good, eyewitness are bad. Agreed. Then a gif.

Ok.

Last edited:

Romulus

You realise the US Navy and Pentagon both confirmed ufo's are real?
You sound like a retard.

He knows more than the US/UK/Russia militaries, and basically every country in the world that has admitted they have dedicated sections of their military studying these objects.

Crazy we would find someone on GAF that already knows the truth!

On topic

Last edited:

GAMETA

Banned
Who mentioned aliens?
Well, the thread and some of the loonies here... The whole pointing fingers at "non-believers"...

I don't think anyone that points out the bs that some of you believe in here doesn't recognize the serious organizations monitoring objects... the thing is, it doesn't mean a thing, the objects don't need to be anything out of this world to be an UFO, and even those pentagon videos are not definitive proof, there are some compelling debunks that don't violate common logic and could explain... so the crazy talk here and the crazy stupid ass videos sometimes are a bit too much...

I don't know if some of you are too gullible or derange in an attempt to confirm personal beliefs, but I've been saying this for a while now, some in here are maybe past the sanity line and seem to have zero critical thinking, this is not different than flat earthers, and this shit is bad, man...

showernota

Well, the thread and some of the loonies here... The whole pointing fingers at "non-believers"...
It seemed like your comment was aimed more specifically.
I don't think anyone that points out the bs that some of you believe in here doesn't recognize the serious organizations monitoring objects... the thing is, it doesn't mean a thing, the objects don't need to be anything out of this world to be an UFO, and even those pentagon videos are not definitive proof, there are some compelling debunks that don't violate common logic and could explain... so the crazy talk here and the crazy stupid ass videos sometimes are a bit too much...
Are you interested in UFOs, or just here to experience "a bit too much?" What's your opinion on what they could be, in general?
I don't know if some of you are too gullible or derange in an attempt to confirm personal beliefs, but I've been saying this for a while now, some in here are maybe past the sanity line and seem to have zero critical thinking, this is not different than flat earthers, and this shit is bad, man...
Thank you for the concern, but do you have a solution to this problem you've identified? Has someone who believes in aliens ever affected you personally, that you take it so seriously? I don't believe in aliens by the way.

GAMETA

Banned
It seemed like your comment was aimed more specifically.

Are you interested in UFOs, or just here to experience "a bit too much?" What's your opinion on what they could be, in general?

Thank you for the concern, but do you have a solution to this problem you've identified? Has someone who believes in aliens ever affected you personally, that you take it so seriously? I don't believe in aliens by the way.
No, not aimed at any specific user.

I am, I am very interested in science, space, UFOs and life outside Earth, I just don't buy the clear bs some post as "evidence" or "this will blow your mind".

My personal opinion on what it is doesn't mean much, but I think the most likely is undisclosed human tech...

If I fantasize a bit, maybe past human civilizations technology. I mean, 200.000 years of mankind, are we really the first ones to advance in tech? How long did it take from the Industrial Revolution to where we are now? 250 years? What's that against 200k years? But I don't believe it to be true, I just entertain a possibility.

Is the idea of aliens also possible? Sure. Does that mean the blurry videos some present as evidence here should be taken as evidence? No, I don't think so.

I had a friend who was all in into the Anunaki, Nibiru, Planet X, whatever alliances and Greys, and what not... he later became a flat earther, lol... did it personally affect me? No really, we had great laughs discussing things, but I notice he took these beliefs on a personal level, and I could see he wanted to believe in it, so much so that pointing out some of the absurdity sounded to him like a personal attack, like a literal personal attack, as if I was questioning his existence. I notice this with extremists, be them far right, far left, religious...

I think this is very dangerous to the mind, and a very dangerous way to view reality.

Last edited:

Romulus

I just don't understand why its difficult to imagine that out billions of galaxies that some of the objects we're seeing are from out of this world.
Explain logically how it makes any sense that we're cosmically blind but yet also arrogant enough to conclude we're alone, and conclude thats impossible to travel "great" distances. Literally 200 years ago people would lose their fucking minds seeing todays traveling technology and 200 years is absolutely nothing.
There could be civilizations a million years ahead of is not out of the question and they might have started with a higher average iq.
Anyway, it makes me suspect when some people come off as insulted by possiblity. To me, in a universe 14.5 billion years old, why not? Seems more plausible. In 30 years we will have discovered at least 3 bodies in our tiny solar system that produced life.
Multiple that by an inconceivable amount of galaxies, and possibly universes.
Anyway, aliens! Mars attacks! I think people are stuck on to the 1990s ufo believers mindset, wonky, Xfiles weirdos. That's changing fast.
And I haven't seen anyone come close to debunking the Puerto Rico military vid, it was even studied by a team of scientists. The tic tac Navy debunkers are tryhards and ignore the most compelling piece of evidence--the radar tracks. The pilots reported the insane speeds as did the radar operators, yet were supposed to believe radar glitch. Lol

Last edited:

Airola

Explain logically how it makes any sense that we're cosmically blind but yet also arrogant enough to conclude we're alone

Even if this thought would be the most arrogant thought in the world, it doesn't change a thing. Besides, it could also be seen as arrogance to think that some alien would have interest to visit this planet. Just because we might be interested in ants doesn't mean an alien would be interested about any of us.

I've said this many time before, but these comments about our "arrogance" or "selfishness" if we don't believe in outer space aliens visiting us isn't really an effective way to discuss the subject because arrogance and selfishness has nothing to do with whether something is real or not.

Last edited:

GAMETA

Banned
I just don't understand why its difficult to imagine that out billions of galaxies that some of the objects we're seeing are from out of this world.
Explain logically how it makes any sense that we're cosmically blind but yet also arrogant enough to conclude we're alone, and conclude thats impossible to travel "great" distances. Literally 200 years ago people would lose their fucking minds seeing todays traveling technology and 200 years is absolutely nothing.
There could be civilizations a million years ahead of is not out of the question and they might have started with a higher average iq.
Anyway, it makes me suspect when some people come off as insulted by possiblity. To me, in a universe 14.5 billion years old, why not? Seems more plausible. In 30 years we will have discovered at least 3 bodies in our tiny solar system that produced life.
Multiple that by an inconceivable amount of galaxies, and possibly universes.
Anyway, aliens! Mars attacks! I think people are stuck on to the 1990s ufo believers mindset, wonky, Xfiles weirdos. That's changing fast.
And I haven't seen anyone come close to debunking the Puerto Rico military vid, it was even studied by a team of scientists. The tic tac Navy debunkers are tryhards and ignore the most compelling piece of evidence--the radar tracks. The pilots reported the insane speeds as did the radar operators, yet were supposed to believe radar glitch. Lol

I strongly believe there is, there was and there will be life out there in the universe. It's logical to assume the high probability and I'm keen on the idea that we'll find life or the remains of life in our solar system.

What I don't believe is that a highly advanced civilization would come here to hover over military bases, make crops grafitti, to aimelessly float around in the atmosphere or to play hide and seek around in the clouds...

The "evidence" presented is stupid. Plus there's way too many people trying to make money out of it for ages.

Even if we take the military reports as completely real, there's no evidence that this is alien tech. It could very well be human tech, and the probability of it being human tech is much much higher.

There's no material on Earth that's not available on much higher concentrations out there. If we assume life is abundant, then there's nothing special about us to be visited every other day...

So why aliens?

"But such tech would revolutionize humanity, why would humans keep it a secret for so long?"

Let's imagine some human company/country/military develops an aircraft that creates gravitational fields and can freely bend spacetime or whatever, but uses radioactive fuel out of a very limited element, or can't be mass produced as of now or whatever limiting factor such tech would likely have. Or let's say it gives the aircraft the hability to enter any building, any country, anything, and completely overpower any other tech we have. Would it make sense to disclose the invention? No. Of course not, and for a pletora of reasons.

So there you go, I'm not saying it's not aliens, I'm just saying that the probability of it being anything other than aliens from across the universe gathering here to make a safari or a prank is much much higher... blind belief is stupid, it makes no sense... if it turns out to be aliens then I'm more than fine with it, but, until there's REAL evidence, aliens are among the less probable explanation.

And the "problem" I have with some of the folks here is exactly that: blind belief. I makes no sense.

Last edited:

Romulus

Even if this thought would be the most arrogant thought in the world, it doesn't change a thing. Besides, it could also be seen as arrogance to think that some alien would have interest to visit this planet. Just because we might be interested in ants doesn't mean an alien would be interested about any of us.

I've said this many time before, but these comments about our "arrogance" or "selfishness" if we don't believe in outer space aliens visiting us isn't really an effective way to discuss the subject because arrogance and selfishness has nothing to do with whether something is real or not.

You're not really saying anything that isn't common sense. Because I'm not arguing its arrogant not to believe, I'm saying why not entertain the possibility.

Romulus

I strongly believe there is, there was and there will be life out there in the universe. It's logical to assume the high probability and I'm keen on the idea that we'll find life or the remains of life in our solar system.

What I don't believe is that a highly advanced civilization would come here to hover over military bases, make crops grafitti, to aimelessly float around in the atmosphere or to play hide and seek around in the clouds...

The "evidence" presented is stupid. Plus there's way too many people trying to make money out of it for ages.

Even if we take the military reports as completely real, there's no evidence that this is alien tech. It could very well be human tech, and the probability of it being human tech is much much higher.

There's no material on Earth that's not available on much higher concentrations out there. If we assume life is abundant, then there's nothing special about us to be visited every other day...

So why aliens?

"But such tech would revolutionize humanity, why would humans keep it a secret for so long?"

Let's imagine some human company/country/military develops an aircraft that creates gravitational fields and can freely bend spacetime or whatever, but uses radioactive fuel out of a very limited element, or can't be mass produced as of now or whatever limiting factor such tech would likely have. Would it make sense to disclose the invention? No. Of course not, and for a pletora of reasons.

So there you go, I'm not saying it's not aliens, I'm just saying that the probability of it being anything other than aliens from across the universe gathering here to make a safari or a prank is much much higher.

I don't buy it personally. The speeds recorded have been consistent since radar, ww2 pilots from all side reported being toyed with by unknown objects. I dont buy that some superpower possessed tech literally decades ahead during a war and just used it for fun and is still using for joyriding.
Not only that, the objects would need to be drone because the inertia would literally kill a human. 1940 and 50s drones? No.
And take into consideration the SR71, the most secret craft in the 60s couldn't do 1/3 the speeds these drones were years earlier.
None of it adds up.
Then all the cases like the Areil school encounter and all the other mass sightings, keyword mass, are fictional.

Last edited:

Airola

You're not really saying anything that isn't common sense. Because I'm not arguing its arrogant not to believe, I'm saying why not entertain the possibility.

It's the same thing. You are insinuating that it is arrogant if someone doesn't "entertain the possibility", which also is not true because you don't know how much me or someone else have entertained that though. For me, the reason why my belief in space aliens (or the UFOs being of space alien origin) is so small is that I have entertained the possibility a lot and come up to my own conclusions. I'm not going to change my mind because someone might see my current position as arrogant or selfish because that has nothing to do with if it's real or if it's possible.

I'm very interested in UFOs in general though, so I hope you don't get me wrong. UFO videos are cool to watch even if they are fake or explainable by something else. I love mysteries.

Last edited:

GAMETA

Banned
I don't buy it personally. The speeds recorded have been consistent since radar, ww2 pilots from all side reported being toyed with by unknown objects. I dont buy that some superpower possessed tech literally decades ahead during a war and just used it for fun and is still using for joyriding.
Not only that, the objects would need to be drone because the inertia would literally kill a human. 1940 and 50s drones? No.
And take into consideration the SR71, the most secret craft in the 60s couldn't do 1/3 the speeds these drones were years earlier.
None of it adds up.
Then all the cases like the Areil school encounter and all the other mass sightings, keyword mass, are fictional.
Well, maybe prior civilizations tech. Maybe the people from the center of the Earth, lol... have you seen the things going in and out of volcanoes?

In terms of physics, if I'm not mistaken, if we were to bend spacetime, inertia doens't apply to the pilot because the craft stays stationary while space bends around it.

It could also be humans from the future studying WW2 (seems like a thing our future selves would do if possible), who knows, man...

Why does it necessarily have to be aliens?

Romulus

It's the same thing. You are insinuating that it is arrogant if someone doesn't "entertain the possibility", which also is not true because you don't know how much me or someone else have entertained that though. For me, the reason why my belief in space aliens (or the UFOs being of space alien origin) is so small is that I have entertained the possibility a lot and come up to my own conclusions. I'm not going to change my mind because someone might see my current position as arrogant or selfish because that has nothing to do with if it's real or if it's possible.

I'm very interested in UFOs in general though, so I hope you don't get me wrong. UFO videos are cool to watch even if they are fake or explainable by something else. I love mysteries.

"Aliens are 100% real."

"Aliens are a possibility."

Those are very different stances. Everything else I agree with.

Romulus

Well, maybe prior civilizations tech. Maybe the people from the center of the Earth, lol... have you seen the things going in and out of volcanoes?

In terms of physics, if I'm not mistaken, if we were to bend spacetime, inertia doens't apply to the pilot because the craft stays stationary while space bends around it.

It could also be humans from the future studying WW2 (seems like a thing our future selves would do if possible), who knows, man...

Why does it necessarily have to be aliens?

Could be any of those things. My point is that it's something we don't understand and probably won't for years.

GAMETA

Banned
Could be any of those things. My point is that it's something we don't understand and probably won't for years.
And that's exactly my point. The difference is that I require evidence before considering aliens. It's the whole "extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence" right? It makes sense.

Romulus

And that's exactly my point. The difference is that I require evidence before considering aliens. It's the whole "extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence" right? It makes sense.

Well that's great you require evidence. Pretty common and sensible approach.

Last edited:

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
How can you trust the brain when all it takes is a few carefully constructed lines on a piece of paper can cause an optical illusion that the brain cannot make sense of.

The lowest form of evidence that exists in this world is eyewitness testimony - Neil De Grasse Tyson

So how hard is it to entertain the hypothesis that species that are millions of years ahead in their psychological, social, spiritual and technological evolution compared to us have the *technology* (hardware and/or consciousness based) to be able to pull the same *tricks* on us in regards to our experiences seeing certain UFO phenomena unless you're such a fucking simpleton that you sprain your brain during the mental gymnastics needed to keep your ass in that bubble of ignorance and close mindedness.

“They can't scare me, if I scare them first.” “Some women choose to follow men, and some women choose to follow their dreams" - Lady Gaga

S

Shodan09

Unconfirmed Member

Presumably this is how he got away with his #metoo allegations.

Airola

So how hard is it to entertain the hypothesis that species that are millions of years ahead in their psychological, social, spiritual and technological evolution compared to us...

Well, first we'd need to entertain the hypothesis that there are aliens that have psychological, social, spiritual and technological evolution in the first place. Life somewhere else does not mean there will be any needed advances in those properties within that life. It's already a very big leap of faith to give them those properties.

Sure, entertaining hypotheses is fun, but we can also entertain other hypotheses that might be in contradiction with the space alien theory.

Romulus

Life somewhere else does not mean there will be any needed advances in those properties within that life. It's already a very big leap of faith to give them those properties.

Do you believe that's a huge leap of faith on a planet that is already biologically diverse?

Maybe, but with 6 billion Earth-like planets in our own galaxy maybe its not that uncommon.

And considering there are between 200 billion and 2 trillion galaxies.... and that's only what we can see.

It could be that intelligence on many other planets is more of a common evolutionary trait than speed or size because of a more unstable climate. For us, "intelligent life" only means us, but somewhere else it could be a middle ground in terms of the capacity to survive the elements etc.

All speculation of course, but our perspective is extremely limited. We have one example.

Last edited:
I’m new here and been following this thread. I do take everything with a grain of salt until I see it with my own eyes. Though as a child, I do remember seeing something strange like a white pill in the air that was shrinking and never though if anything of it until now.

Some things to note from reading through here and other places and the documentaries yall posted here.

1. there’s a Reddit post about a guy being abducted and explains the beings want to settle in June/July 2021. Sounds crazy sure but who knows really.

2. Conspiracy Covid being a test to see how things are handled before arrival.

3. Ufo clause in the Covid bill.

4. I may have misread but did Biden say he wants this all concluded in July? (I’m not political at all)

Some stuff is getting crazy as more and more sightings are happening and I came across this but do not know if it’s bait click I saw. I’m sure you all know. I saw a post saying they blocked airways from 51 to Pacific Ocean. From what I remember, there’s been sightings in that area for a while now.

feel free to roast me lol first timer.

Romulus

I was having a conversation with my coworker earlier about aliens. For conversation sake, we assumed that all these unknown objects are biological species from other solar systems.

We started talking about their perspective on human technological progression in the last 100 years.

Our conclusion was that even the most extreme advancements in human technology would likely seem indistinguishable to a species that travel the galaxy with ease.

For instance, the invention of the car or even a wagon would seem relatively similar to landing humans on the Moon/Mars in terms of impressiveness.

It would barely register as progression to them. It seems incredible to us because we don't have any perspective of what comes next, then after that etc. But to them? They could have been traveling the galaxy for millions of years at this point, so leaving your planets atmosphere is barely a blip in progression.
Their ancient ancestors could have traveled the universe and the history of them leaving their own planet could be so old that theres little or no record of it. So, while we're living our own baby technology boom, to them it's like a monkey using a tool for the first time. "Wake me up when the primates use fire for the first time."

We could be 10,000 years away from the first raised eyebrow when it concerns an advanced civilization already traveling the universe.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom