• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aliens: Colonial Marines |OT| Game Over Man, GAME OVER!

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
My little brother is a huge fan of Aliens and is loving this game. He's like a kid and is blissfully unaware of the bad reviews. I hear him in his room playing the PS3 version

"Oh shit we gotta move she's right on me!"

"I'm picking up signals careful guys we don't know if they're marines or aliens!"

"That's not a machine gun that's a Smart Gun!" (lol)

Everything about the game is wonderful and magical to him. So this game might've been shit but at least my bro is having fun :)

I got this off a friend. huge aliens fan and was really hyped for this. it is without a doubt the worst game ive played in the past 5 years. im so disappointed in everything in this game besides the sound.

firstly, the graphics are so low rent and crappy. the aliens animation is terrible. the AI is awful.

I wish this was a good game..but its such a 5/10 game.

baphomet

Even after reading all the threads and stories about how terrible this game is, i decided to rent it. I'm a massive fan of aliens, mostly because of H.R. Giger being my all time favorite artist. In fact I've got a chest piece tattoo sketched out with the focal point being a face hugger wrapping around the neck with a lot of bio mechanical type tubing coming off the sides. Needless to say I'm a fan.

This game is absolute garbage. If I had spent any amount of money of this I would have been furious. It looks terrible, I got lost in the first 5 minutes because I walked away from a guy who walked through a door and closed the door behind him. Using the scanner it looked like I was supposed to go through a door that was partly open with flames coming down above it. Well I assumed it was going to be the part of the tutorial that tells me to press O to crouch. Well it wasn't. I had to kill myself and make sure I stayed with the ai character as he stiffly walked into things and apparently didn't mind me literally walking through him. Just everything about this is so bad. I really don't think it's worth playing any further than I already am which is about 30 minutes in.

Daigoro

had a free Redbox game rental, so i rented this game because im a fan of the source material and out of morbid curiosity.

this game deserves all of the negative press it got and more. fuck Gearbox for dragging this franchise through the mud. has there ever been a worse game based on this license? i cant think of one that came even close. all of the Aliens games i can think of have been at least decent if not quite good.

this game is fucking ugly! the texture pop in around every corner is just inexcusable. tons of graphical glitches. the whole game is butt fucking ugly.

bland game design all around as well. very CoD inspired obviously. fighting tons of humans is stupid and the alien encounters arent that much better.

the real tragedy is that this could have been a decent to pretty good game if it had been handled properly. borrowing ideas and assets from ALIENS could have been great if a decent game was designed around it. you can almost see it there under a thick layer of dont give a fuck.

but its not a decent or good game. its a piece of crap, and that sucks.

ALIENS deserved better. Sega and Gearbox should be ashamed. this is such a half-assed effort. im mad.

Gearbox just released another patch for this game on X360 (PS3 and PC coming soon):

http://support.gearboxsoftware.com/entries/23137581-Xbox-360-Update-Information

3/7/2013 Update

General
Addressed an issue that could sometimes cause co-op player revival to not work under certain circumstances.
Addressed issues with players not spawning into a level properly.
Fixed a marine player invincibility exploit.
Resolved several instances where players could walk or fall outside of maps.
Fixed an issue that could cause localized text to sometimes display incorrectly.
Addressed an issue where weapon ammunition was not always highlighted properly.
Addressed some issues where multiplayer / co-op clients could see interactive objects displayed in a different state.
Fixed a bug affecting voiceovers with the Firing Range bonus content.
Addressed an issue where Ripley’s Flamethrower (bonus content) would sometimes fire continuously without player input.
Addressed a rare issue that could cause Achievements to not unlock properly.
General user interface improvements.
Miscellaneous bug fixes.

Campaign
Addressed some issues that could cause improper warping for co-op players.
Various tweaks to address instances where NPC characters would not always properly navigate to objectives.
Added safeguards to prevent players from using a weapon in the weapons-suppressed portion of “One Bullet.”
Modified Bella and Reid’s behavior in “No Hope in Hadley’s” to prevent them from spawning at the wrong point.

Versus
Fixed issues that could clients to report inaccurate results and statistics.
Addressed instances where a map would appear to “pop in” when loading into a new match.
Addressed an issue that was could cause stutter when opening the multiplayer scoreboard.
Switching profiles while in a lobby now returns players to the title screen immediately.
Multiplayer teams should now correctly auto-balance between rounds.
New Xeno appearance customization added.

----Previous 2/12/2013 Update----

General
General user interface improvements.
Various performance improvements.
Fixed issue where a door may not function properly if a Xeno was killed while opening it.
Addressed issue where players could become stuck in a close encounter after killing a Lurker that had pounced them.
Fixed collision issue where bullets would not pass through certain open doorways.
Fixed an issue related to clients incorrectly interrupting Xeno melee encounters.
Addressed an issue where doors would sometimes not open properly.
Addressed an exploit where players could melee while throwing a grenade or placing a claymore.
Fixed some collision detection issues that could result from a close encounter.
Prevented campaign pop-ups from appearing outside of campaign.

Campaign
Fixed an issue that could prevent NPCs from getting on the elevator in the Sulaco.
NPCs no longer attempt to open doors while being welded.
Fixed issue where Raven could sometimes pass through welded door.
Implementing a message to warn players that campaign progress will be overwritten if they try to start an offline campaign game from within the co-op campaign UI.
Adjusted the distance between players before they're warped to the location of furthest player in co-op.
Fixed issue where torch would sometimes appear incorrectly to co-op clients.
Fixed issue where difficulty could sometimes become stuck incorrectly after switching modes.
Fixed issue where co-op player would not recover properly after being saved from a close encounter.
Fixed issue where Russian players could not drop into a co-op match in some missions.
Updated late-game close encounter moment to disable player input, which could cause them to become stuck.
Splitscreen: Weapon Radial menu no longer appears for other players when the pause menu is opened.
Splitscreen: Fixed issue where if the Game Menu is opened while accessing the Weapon Radial, it stays up on does not function properly.

Versus
Resolved issue where campaign Motion Tracker could incorrectly in multiplayer loadouts.
Fixed issue where clients would sometimes be invisible after spawning in No Hope in Hadleys.
Multiplayer teams are now randomized (parties excluded) if percentage difference in scores is greater than 15%
'Switch Teams' option removed from the Pause menu.
Corrected issue where server and client could get out-of-sync when switching out of a power-up while firing.
Fixed issue where controller would vibrate during the scores screen if Rage ability was active upon match end.
Fixed issue where Cloak ability would not conceal the Lurker when walking or jogging.
Corrected bug where clients appeared to spawn outside of world before match start.
Removed placeholder text from appearing on scoreboard in certain situations.
Improved camera transition when Xeno enters a vent.
Fixed issue where Xenomorph HUD could sometimes appear in the wrong color.
Fixed issue with Spitter acid sometimes preventing players from deploying a Sentry Turret for a short while.
Spitter's "Acid Spray" now originates from the mouth.
Escape: Fixed issue where Xenos could spawn in unplayable space.
Escape: Fixed issue where Xeno players could lose functionality if warped to next area while in a vent.
Escape: Addressed issues where players would spawn with no weapon if they were the last Marine to die in Escape.
Escape: Fixed issue where Cat-Like Reflexes ability would not properly complete in an Escape match.
Escape: Improved timing and placement of warp locations in Emergency Evac map.

This update on the Xbox 360 version supposedly for "making the game better" just deleted my savegame entirely. Happened about 10 minutes ago.
I'm still thinking how can this be even possible. It's such a basic mistake and primary error that completed DESTROYED the experience of the game for me.

Im glad I've finished the game yesterday on Ultimate Badass but I do regret that I have bought the Collector's Edition for this.

Gearbox rushed the game so they wouldn't have to pay contract issues for SEGA and now we pay the bill for the delivery of an incomplete and broken product?

I was a heavy supporter for Gearbox and bought almost every game they have released (including all DLC content for them) but because of the lack of interest and support from the producers this will be my last Gearbox game ever. They will never see more of my money and I will spread the word.

EDIT: Just read about no official reply at all from anyone addressing this problem.

Gearbox you can continue pretending you're not listening but shi* is shi* and it will keep smelling if you do not clean it. Of course you can always hope people to get used to the smell but I don't think anybody here will.

Yep, same here. Gearbox is probably completely done anyway but if they continue to coast on Borderlands success I will not be part of any of it.

Sojgat

On 360 games marketplace and I just noticed the Bug Hunt DLC is out... for 1200 Microsoft Points.

lol fuck you Gearbox.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Much like all of the other Aliens fans I just have to see this for myself. Picked up a used PS3 copy via Gamefly for $10 w/free shipping.

I figure even if it's bad I should actually be able to make a few bucks credit on it when I trade it in.

Got this on GF for 9.99 PS3. Campaign is highly questionable as obviously stated up until this point, but I thought the MP was good for some quick fun.

Kevtones

I did this on 360...

I'm enjoying myself for the first hour. Pretty big fan of the film so the little touches mean a lot. The gameplay is semi-old school but pretty tense tbh. Feels kind of like I'm fighting Aliens that are much faster than me and that's how it should be.

Really, I'm letting myself be immersed in the game so that's adding to it. The sound FX do wonders and I'm always using the motion sensor.

Guess I'm like that weird/insane EGM reviewer.

Picked this up for PC on the cheap via Amazon and gave it some quality time over the weekend.

Its... not as bad as I thought.

Let me be clear, the game has some serious problems. Friendly AI doesn't help much, enemies bee-line for the player, silenced weapons are useless, taking a wet shit on the canonical storyline, etc.

BUT... the environments are fun to explore in the dark with the motion sensor, pulse rifle swung up in you're other hand. Its fun to face a horde of aliens and chip away and obliterate them to the sound of your pulse rifle or smart gun. Its fun to switch to your secondary as another wave closes in and give em some shotty action or set em on fire.

When it works, and it does have it moments, it works. Its simple fun and fan service, and that's fine. Not nearly close to $60 release price fine, but $35 would have been perfect.

I'd compare it to something like Quake 4, or a re-release of a launch title. There are some good ideas to be found, some interesting action, and (for me) a nice mix of run and gun shooting against aliens along with cover based shooting against mercs.

Maybe my expectations have been properly calibrated from the storm of shit this game has suffered since release, but I've honestly had a decent time. If this game is shit, it's my kind of shit, and only a few months of AI work and polish away from being a solid entry in the series of Aliens games.

I'd be down for co-op on the 360 if I could grab two copies for $10 ;P

SRTtoZ

I picked up this game on PC for $10 from someone in the buy/sell thread. I have to say...its actually pretty fun if you're an Alien(s) buff like me. I cant say how the game was a few months ago because since then the PC version has undergone about 10gb in patches to fix animations, AI, visuals (a huge upgrade) and bugs. This game should be on the Steam summer sale soon and I would advise anyone who can get it for cheap to try it out.

Tak3n

Banned
Just finished this, although the damage is allready done, I can not help feel the PC version would of been more tolerated if they had released it back then like it is now...

The Aliens do cause some good battles now as they seen aggresive and fly at you as soon as they are in range....

I certainly did not feel that the marines outweighed the Aliens levels...

Though saying that, the FMV sequences near the end of the game need seriously looking at..

also watch the credits, lots of messages on there from people who worked on the game

Tak3n

Banned
Damn I wish I heard about the PC May patch sooner (that's 8GB total now, just like the rumors, lol). Game looks friggin great now (except some areas and it aint no Metro!), and the AI is better. Especially humans, they actually kill shit now!

This is how it should have released visually! Too bad the Weyland CoD shits still there.

Now if the story add on is 100% xenomorphs...

if Gearbox/Sega/Timegate have even an ounce on sense they will make this last DLC (campaign add on) brilliant

Plasma

Banned
So the story DLC came out the other day has anyone else played it?

I'm on the 4th mission at the moment and while it still isn't that great I think the pacing is much better than the original campaign, they don't chuck Aliens at you constantly and there are certain parts that are clearly there just to ratchet up the tension. They have improved the lighting in a lot of the locations as well, it seems to be darker than I remember the campaign being.

They still manage to sneak in some fights with the marines though which are still a pain to fight through, I'm not sure why they didn't just drop these entirely for the DLC I don't think anyone liked them in the original campaign.

The story is still pretty bad, their explanation for why
Hicks is still alive
is laughable, especially when they
make out as though he got to Fury 161 just in time to watch Ripley jump into the molten furnace.

Kolgar

Bought this on the Greenman sale for less than 10 bucks. I'm enjoying it. Yes, I experienced some jank in the early going with a gas tank that disappeared after I walked over it. But the patches must have elevated this game because I find that it looks great much of the time and the environments really do pull you into the Aliens universe.

After all the vitriol that's been spewed over this game, I can't believe I'm having this much fun. That said, I'm glad I held out for the superior PC version over the console preorder I canceled early on.

Hell, I may replay this when I finish. The girlfriend is a huuuge fan of the films and I think she'd have a frightening good time with this.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I bought this in the halloween sale and so far it's not nearly as bad as a lot of folks have said.

The graphics look pretty good. I was expecting a lot worse. The performance is also good. Pretty much sticking to 60fps on my modest rig. The audio in this game is great and I'm quite enjoying the gunplay.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Had another hour on it last night and I'm having a blast. I'm currently playing this on my 100inch projector screen rocking the nVidia 3D vision system and the sound pumping out my Onkyo amp to my full range speakers.
It rocks.

My only issue is that I'm dying a lot. I know they are aliens so I should expect to die a lot but it's still seems like a tough game on the normal skill level.

Shining

I bought this in the halloween sale and so far it's not nearly as bad as a lot of folks have said.

The graphics look pretty good. I was expecting a lot worse. The performance is also good. Pretty much sticking to 60fps on my modest rig. The audio in this game is great and I'm quite enjoying the gunplay.

Yeah, i did the same thing and went in with zero expectations. I understand the game got patched and i find it to look pretty decent except for the character/enemy models. The audio is great and i love the somewhat remixed songs from the movies. And to be able to explore Hadley's Hope feels pretty awesome. Dem movie references!

cyberheater

Yeah, i did the same thing and went in with zero expectations. I understand the game got patched and i find it to look pretty decent except for the character/enemy models. The audio is great and i love the somewhat remixed songs from the movies. And to be able to explore Hadley's Hope feels pretty awesome. Dem movie references!

Yeah. It's worth it just for that. I'm quite enjoying the gunplay. I'm choosing to ignore things like Keyes being invulnerable to my bullets when surrounded by Aliens etc...

Pinktaco

I bought it due to the summer sales on EU PSN. My friend and I have this weird thing going on that we have to play shitty coop games. So we've finished both ORC, RE6 and dead space 3... Well tbh DS3 isn't in the sane league as the others, at all.

Anyway we started out on the hardest difficulty and laughed at the hilarious shittiness that is colonial marines. Truth be told though this game isn't only bad due to bugs, lame characters and an even dumber story it's just flat out boring. By the end none of us laughed anymore, we just wanted to be done. Hell we even wished the last few levels would be smart gun only because that weapon is pure haxx.

The game lack any excitement and tension. It has nothing to do with Aliens. They're so incredible dumb that you don't even have to move to avoid them,just stay put and fire away with any machinegun - they'll line themselves up fine and nice.
Every once in a while some of the aliens will wise up and come from behind while you're trying to take down this horde mode in front of you. Needless to say it's super tedious when they succeed because you have no proper indication that the re there. Suddenly you just quickly die.

Anyway even on ultra badass difficulty the game was a breeze.

Considering how the game have been patched up it clearly deserves the reception it got. There is no misunderstanding here. It's not so bad that it's Good. It's just plain bad. And boring. Oh well.. At least we did it on two gaming sessions.

Top Bottom