• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aliens: Colonial Marines |OT| Game Over Man, GAME OVER!

Unicorn

AvP definitely looks better. that rainy environment was nice.

Someone really needs to make an RTTP or LTTP for AvP (2010) so we can get some more fun out of that game. I never got to play with any of GAF on PC and the console version was so short-lived.

Really is a great game, when a lobby is full.
Damn AVP doesn't look bad at all *checks steam account*, yep have it... why haven't I played it?

It's amazing and the closest in atmosphere I've ever seen a game come to the source material (whether it be concept art, film, comic, etc.)
From sound design, art direction, animation, everything was perfect.

Only wish flares were in MP. Being a Marine is rightfully terrifying. Absolutely requires teamwork to stand a chance against the other 2 enemies.

All this fiasco all week has made me return to playing AvP 2010... played a couple hours today. Finished the marine campaign and started the alien campaign (after shelving and almost selling the game 2 years ago). Then jumped into some random online matches.

I had a blast. I don't know why... but seeing the flaws of ACM made me appreciate it a lot more. They really did nail the atmosphere. And this was the (surely crappiest) PS3 version.

I agree i got a couple bucks and the local stores have plenty of copies. If the servers are still up i would love to kill with some gafers. Also my laptop is fixed and i own avp2.....

Dave1988

All this fiasco all week has made me return to playing AvP 2010... played a couple hours today. Finished the marine campaign and started the alien campaign (after shelving and almost selling the game 2 years ago). Then jumped into some random online matches.

I had a blast. I don't know why... but seeing the flaws of ACM made me appreciate it a lot more. They really did nail the atmosphere. And this was the (surely crappiest) PS3 version.

Online is still alive on the PS3? Wow, might have to dust off my copy for a few matches.

GlassBox

Banned
Hah! That'll be funny if the result of ACM is to get players to go back and appreciate AvP2010. I'm sure the devs at Rebellion have been laughing their arses of at the continuing clusterfuck of ACM.

I can distinctly recall a lot of the negative reviews/opinions of AvP2010 being splattered with commentary to the effect of...

"Gearbox will end up making a much better Alien game"

VashTS

Good news for PC ver.?? Gearbox added 2 more beta entries to steam.
- greenville
- harryhines
- pressreview
- springvalley
- walnuthill

I guess that means that they are doing work??

The craziest thing about all of this is that Sega is still using the old demo footage in a trailer to advertise this game on its official site....

Just look for the "Suspense Trailer". It actually starts with "This trailer is shot with 100% in game footage."

http://www.sega.com/alienscolonialmarines/

edit-I just noticed they also have the E3 demo on the site as well. Weird-you'd think that with all of the talk of bait and switch that they would want to steer clear of this stuff.

My provider had some problems with the upload of my internet connection but now its fixed and i could finaly install ACM in Steam.

I should have cancelt my preorder :( Words cant express my disapointment. Not even the process of killing an Xenomorph is fun.

Nome

Jeez, that puts things in stark perspective. In hindsight, Rebellion's AVP2010 looks good.

How the hell was ACM in development for 6 years?
Real question?

Length of development doesn't speak for quality of assets. Look at Duke Nukem Forever as the perfect case study. Tech gets better, already-made assets do not. If I started making a game in 1990 would anyone expect it to look good today? This goes doubly for games that are delayed several times, because delayed games don't have futureproofing and proper planning in mind.

blitz64

not a bad game. It is an average game. I give it a 7/10 for the PC version.

It is fun, I played this with 3 of my real life buddies and we had fun. game is worth $20-$30.
I paid $30 so it is ok. Coop anywhere in the story mode is great.

Being able to just jump into a friends game anytime is awesome. Maybe this is normal but I haven't played a fps game in a long time. Never played any of the call of duties.

Beat the game on soldier difficulty. I'll try to beat it again on hardest difficulty. then probably won't ever play again. I just play it for the coop campaign.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Damn AVP doesn't look bad at all *checks steam account*, yep have it... why haven't I played it?

I've just started playing it and I had it in my Steam account since last years summer sale. It plays pretty good.

So I just finished this game, I can't believe I was hyped for something that was just "meh" at best. Almost no facial animations, not scary in the slightest, a crappy final boss, and you only get to use the power loader twice; I think that the only thing that I enjoyed from this game was the environments.

You know, Gearbox could have made this into a real successor to the film like they intended, but I guess I expected too much from the guys who made great games like Borderlands 1 and 2 *flips a table*.

The only thing that I'm happy about is that power loader figure that I got with the collectors edition, if it weren't for that I would have sold this game by now.

Started playing the PC version tonight and...it's not that bad.

It has some very obvious issues (AI and path-finding) but the atmosphere is good, some of the lighting is nicely done and the sound effects are on point. I love searching for the legendary weapons, and the upgrade system is nice (if predictable).

6/10

I'm sorry, GAF.

I remember some Gearbox quote about the first-person view for the xenomorphs being too disorientating during testing.

lol

If you've played AvP 2010 you would know how disorienting it can be when moving rapidly while climbing walls and ceilings in a first-person perspective. Mirror's Edge never really bothered me, but it took a while to get used to playing the alien and even so it's still dizzying at times.

im going to go ahead and order the DS game. That should be good.

It is. It's flawed in some of the mechanics, but still an enjoyable game especially if you enjoy metroidvanias and Aliens. Plus at the price you can find it at today, there's no reason not to give it a try. Gorgeous sprite-work too.

I'm currently playing it for a third time.

Sojgat

If you've played AvP 2010 you would know how disorienting it can be when moving rapidly while climbing walls and ceilings in a first-person perspective. Mirror's Edge never really bothered me, but it took a while to get used to playing the alien and even so it's still dizzying at times.

The fact that the third-person view they came up with somehow manages to be worse, and the idea that they actually tested the game, is what's laughable.

I actually bought AVP 2010 yesterday, and while I haven't been able to play the MP (I got it on 360, so it's not really surprising nobody is playing), but I've played the SP campaigns and had a lot more fun with them than I did with Colonial Marines. I wouldn't say it's a great game, but I had always heard it was crap. I liked it, but yeah, controlling a Xenomorph in first-person is disorienting as hell sometimes.

Yeah, it's not great, but it's at least worth a try. You're not missing much with the multiplayer. It takes a very long time to get into ranked matches, and even browsing available games in the friendly lobby isn't always successful. Whenever I want to play multiplayer, I feel as though I'm spending more time in the menus than playing the game.

Survivor mode is the best part of AvP 2010 and fun for a while with others, but the lack of available maps and the low-brightness levels can make for a tiresome experience.

Haunted

First, it's clearly an unfinished, unpolished game. Plain looking, worse than the demo we've seen, spotty texture work, missing animations, bad collision detection during gameplay and in pre-canned (!) animations, just a ton of small bugs and glitches that negatively impact the experience.

Secondly, its design does so many bad videogamey things that just pull you out of the world. From shit AI - both Aliens and Marines - to invisible walls everywhere, to the old mistake of letting the player do everything (5 Marines in the room doing 5 tasks - and you end up doing everything (apparently you're the only Marine capable of pressing fucking buttons).

Thirdly, and most damning of them all, is the treatment of the source material. Shit plot twist and fan fiction level writing aside, the aliens are treated as generic FPS enemy #28 instead of the horrifying monsters they are, where a single one could easily fuel a whole movie by itself. 15 minutes into the game and you're mowing them down by the dozens.

Taken on its own, it's a below average shootbang romp, with a ton of better games in the same genre (and even in the same franchise!) released in the last couple years. As a hyped and well-marketed new $60 entry in the Aliens franchise, it's pretty much an insult.

not a bad game. It is an average game. I give it a 7/10 for the PC version.

It is fun, I played this with 3 of my real life buddies and we had fun. game is worth $20-$30.
I paid $30 so it is ok. Coop anywhere in the story mode is great.

Being able to just jump into a friends game anytime is awesome. Maybe this is normal but I haven't played a fps game in a long time. Never played any of the call of duties.

Beat the game on soldier difficulty. I'll try to beat it again on hardest difficulty. then probably won't ever play again. I just play it for the coop campaign.
Dude, play AvP 2010, THAT was a 7/10 game and it shits all over this.

Colonial Marines is maybe a 3 or a 4 if played with friends, if only because your friends are there.

Playing it alone was more like a 2/10 because of how terrible everything else is, especially the A.I.; I've played games from 15 years ago with better A.I.

I enjoyed Duke Nukem, so it's not like I haven't enjoyed bad games before. There really wasn't much to enjoy in this game though.

I'm glad you felt you got your moneys worth though.

Jackpot

Banned
So do you ever get to use the weapons you keep unlocking like the SMG or tac shotgun in the campaign or is it for multiplayer only?

jrcbandit

Anyone try the modded ini file for the pc, which you also need to put in your device info for your video card since the game only has info for video cards pre 2007? I looked in my logs and it has me incorrectly at video card level 4 instead of 5. But unfortunately all the "fan" modding in the world won't bring back the original lighting engine/graphics shown in the old demos...

So despite all of the controversy and bad reviews, I still needed to try it myself. I'll avoid saying what has already been said over and over again but as a fan- this hurts. Going into the medical lab, seeing Newt's face hugger she killed and the over turned bed got be all excited. And then reality hit after a couple seconds and realized how bad this product really is, its unfortunate.

Adam Blue

So do you ever get to use the weapons you keep unlocking like the SMG or tac shotgun in the campaign or is it for multiplayer only?

You can use them all in the campaign, and they are surprisingly different enough to each have their own place. I'm surprised how well the weapon system turned out. It really seems like they had something good going on here and then just stopped, rather then it being junk from the start of development. I go into a bit more detail about what I think in my review.

Mlatador

Banned
In order to make an excelent Alien/Aliens game you need people who

- are very good at creating horror games. They need to know how horror, fear, tension works.

- are very creative and innovative themselves

- are not afraid of innovation (publisher)

- are very talented and pationate

- are willing to spend a good amount of money for the project (pubisher)

So in other words: IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN!
Just forget it people. At the very most, maybe someday you will get a "good" Aliens game, but that's about it.

The Alien IP has been in the wrong hands for years. The license's been handed out to the wrong movie-makers and wrong developers. It's a tragedy!

The only thing you can do to further prevent it from being treated so poorly/raped is just to NOT SUPPORT those aweful effords.

Don't buy AvP2010
Don't buy A:CM
Don't WATCH or BUY the AvP movies
Do so in the future if more crap get's released

If you have to spend your money on something, go get AvP1 or AvP2, Alien Infestation (for the DS).

- are very good at creating horror games. They need to know how horror, fear, tension works.

So in other words: IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN!
Just forget it people. At the very most, maybe someday you will get a "good" Aliens game, but that's about it.

So Frictional Games?

sCHOCOLATE

To make an Aliens FPS work, a good talent pool would combine staff from the following past releases(listed alphabetically):

Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay
Condemned: Criminal Origins
Doom 3
Fatal Frame
Manhunt

So I gave this a rent. It's not that bad. It's not good, either, but everyone acted like there could be no fun derived from it and it would also give me AIDS. The game is buggy, sure; and the AI, especially your squad mates, is retarded; and it basically plays like a half-assed CoD -- but I'm still having more fun with it than I did ZombiU. There's also been some genuine scares too, since those xenomorphs will fuck your shit up if they get on top of you. Given the AI teammates are useless, it adds even more pressure.

Not a good game by any stretch, but not completely unredeemable. I will probably pick up my own copy when it plunges to US$10.

Not a good game by any stretch, but not completely unredeemable. I will probably pick up my own copy when it plunges to US$10.
Yeah - will bite at $15-20.

The game looks like crap, but it just might be my kind of crap. I don't even mind middling titles all that much - I only mind the $50-$60 price tag for it.

bangai-o

Banned
im on mobile and am unable to link it, but there is a new article at destructoid collecting dev information from Timegate that is evident that theyhad done much more work on the game than is being credited.

HeySeuss

I saw a commercial for this last night at the bar and I could have sworn I saw a WiiU box with the PS360 ones as well. Anybody else seen this?

And has there been any news on the WiiU release date? I kinda lost interest after the horrible reviews and impressions but at 20 bucks I might bite.

hlhbk

So if you guys haven't been it yet Pitchford came out of his week long silence to give kudos to the few positive reviews. He then proceeded to ban anyone saying anything negative about the game including Jim Sterling after he called Jim out.

I saw a commercial for this last night at the bar and I could have sworn I saw a WiiU box with the PS360 ones as well. Anybody else seen this?

And has there been any news on the WiiU release date? I kinda lost interest after the horrible reviews and impressions but at 20 bucks I might bite.
I keep seeing the Wii U box in commercials too but no information on the release date.

Top Bottom