• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All firmware updatable 8Bitdo controllers are now Switch compatible!

molnizzle

Warning to Switch Users

Having them for like a month( I got two pros) I feel the need to give a warning to Switch users who wants to buy them:

-Using 8bitdo controllers without a Joycon paired/active or any other Nintendo controller is fine.

-If you use any Nintendo controller and the 8bitdo one at the same time, you will feel tremendous lag on the 8bitdo controllers. This happens to a lot of people.

-Pairing these controllers is a bitch, you will have to restart your console numerous time to pair two of these.

I regret buying these controllers so much :(

If you normally play in docked mode using a Pro controller, you'll run into absolutely zero issues and will have an amazing experience. I use the thing to play Puyo Puyo all the time and it's excellent. Can't speak for multiplayer, but for a single user these are nearly flawless. Pairing was fast and easy as well and you don't need to re-pair every time. Just press start on controller and boom.

I've only used Pro Controllers and a 8bitdo controller with my Switch. I haven't noticed any issues so far. I haven't played multiplayer yet though.

dock

-If you use any Nintendo controller and the 8bitdo one at the same time, you will feel tremendous lag on the 8bitdo controllers. This happens to a lot of people.
I have noticed lag!! How can I prevent it?
I have basically never used my 8bitdo SNES pad beyond tests because I wasn't satisfied.

If you normally play in docked mode using a Pro controller, you'll run into absolutely zero issues and will have an amazing experience. I use the thing to play Puyo Puyo all the time and it's excellent. Can't speak for multiplayer, but for a single user these are nearly flawless. Pairing was fast and easy as well and you don't need to re-pair every time. Just press start on controller and boom.

For single player is fine, the problem comes when you have to use your Nintendo and 8bitdo controllers at the same time.

When you charge the controllers they have to be paired again.

Still haven't figured how to eliminate the lag in multiplayer :(

molnizzle

For single player is fine, the problem comes when you have to use your Nintendo and 8bitdo controllers at the same time.

When you charge the controllers they have to be paired again.

Still haven't figured how to eliminate the lag in multiplayer :(

They definitely don't have to be paired again, unless you're letting them fully die before recharge.

wanders

In my case none of this is true

mojojoeo

I want to love mine but the pairing issues are real. its usless if i have to reboot and re-pair after i want to use it.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Just ordered the Super Famicom model. Gonna give it a try at Splatoon 2, just gotta work out the shoulder buttons.

Ashtar

Warning to Switch Users

Having them for like a month( I got two pros) I feel the need to give a warning to Switch users who wants to buy them:

-Using 8bitdo controllers without a Joycon paired/active or any other Nintendo controller is fine.

-Pairing these controllers is a bitch, you will have to restart your console numerous time to pair two of these.

I regret buying these controllers so much :(
Jeez this sucks

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Jeez this sucks
YMMV

My experience for points two and three here are completely opposite, no lag and pairing multiple of them have been a non-issue alongside using pro controllers. Don't even have to re-pair them after the initial setup, just turn them on in Switch mode and they sync like any other controller.

YMMV

My experience for points two and three here are completely opposite, no lag and pairing multiple of them have been a non-issue alongside using pro controllers. Don't even have to re-pair them after the initial setup, just turn them on in Switch mode and they sync like any other controller.
Are you using 30 pros or regular 30s?

D.Lo

Jeez this sucks
It's also fictional in my experience. Especially the syncing, mine just worked first time. I mean its possible some units behave differently?

The lag happens with low battery, not because something else is paired.

It's also fictional in my experience. Especially the syncing, mine just worked first time. I mean its possible some units behave differently?

I haven't spent that much time using these on Switch, but I've had something similar happen when using 8bitdo pads on an Nvidia Shield TV. When the Shield Controller was also paired and connected alongside the NES/FC30 Pro, the lag on it really shot up noticeably.

They seem to work fine with minimal noticeable lag when they're paired solo, but doubling up the bluetooth connections seem to affect them quite a bit.

Ashtar

Well now I don't know who to trust.... luckily I'm not planing on buying any multiplayer games any time soon so hopefully it all gets sorted out

Everyone here who is sharing their Switch experiences, are you all using the NES30 PRO on latest firmware?

I had my sights set on this future release but not if it will end up useless in multiplayer:
snes30-pro.png

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Everyone here who is sharing their Switch experiences, are you all using the NES30 PRO on latest firmware?

I had my sights set on this future release but not if it will end up useless in multiplayer:
snes30-pro.png

There is only 1 firmware version for these controllers if you want to use them for Switch.

My experience with NES30 Pro was also fairly positive. There are some syncing issues when pairing half the time, and other times it's flawless. Apart from that though I've used the controller with no noticeable input lag or anything of the sort, and I've had up to four controllers paired at once (the Switch Pro, NES30Pro, and two joy-con). I'm not really sure why there appears to be input issues for other people, but it just seems to be luck of the draw which sucks.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Been using the FC30 Pro because I was always in love with the Famicom color palette. I've only really played Splatoon 2 with it but it's been fairly positive.

As others have noted, about maybe 10% of the time when I try to connect to the internet in Splatoon it'll desync. Now, one way to handle this is a hard reboot of the system, which sucks. What else I've found works is just close the damn game, and resync by hitting power and Y on the controller like normal and it works just fine.

The first few days it did this more often, but it's very rare now. I don't know why, but maybe it's because I reinstalled the firmware?

Only time it ever lashed out on me was when the battery got low. I just plugged it into a power pack I have and kept playing and my issues disappeared immediately.

Guys, this is a great controller. Nice shape, quality hardware, affordable pricing. The cons are possible issues with multiple controllers, which I've not experienced but have had no reason to either, and the lack of HD Rumble, which does such but is worth the savings.

Mr_Moogle

I really like my 8Bitdo controllers (I've got the SNES30 - which I reviewed, and the FC30Pro), and feel that they're way more useful because they're wireless.

IMO you should go 8bitdo simply for that, especially as they've fixed the lag.

This is a fair point. I just checked the cable length on my Mega Drive controllers and damn they are short. No wonder we used to sit up close to the TV to plays games when we we're kids.

molnizzle

Have this on pre-order specifically because it can charge using the same USB-C cable as the Pro controller. Also full gyro support, rumble motors, screenshot/home buttons, etc. That thing literally has the same full functionality of the Pro controller (sans Amiibo support) for $50.

Can't wait!

(I went for the superior SF30 Pro with the uniform button shape though)

I just updated my Switch to the new 4.0 firmware and I cannot for the life of me connect my nes pro controller or my Snes30 controller. I hope Nintendo didn’t nuke it.

I just updated my Switch to the new 4.0 firmware and I cannot for the life of me connect my nes pro controller or my Snes30 controller. I hope Nintendo didn't nuke it.

Yup, my SFC30 is no longer connecting. Uh oh. Might need a new firmware update from 8Bitdo. I doubt Nintendo intentionally killed support.

EDIT - According to Reddit, they should still work. My controller's battery just died, so I'll try again later. I think there's a recent firmware for the controller (beyond the one that added Switch support), so I'll update my controller with that as well.

I'm on the fence concerning a sfc30 pro. Is it good? Can i use it on a snes mini too? How is the d pad?
The SFC 30 Pro doesn’t come out until December via Amazon so I don’t know how that controller performs. My Snes 30 works wonderfully for games like Street fighter with the Dpad. The Nes30pro I have works great as well. I’m on the fence about preordering the Sfc30pro for my Switch.

From my understanding you have to buy the Nes classic edition retro receiver to play or on the Snes Mini.
This is the receiver https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MQWUT0Q/?tag=neogaf0e-20

The SFC 30 Pro doesn’t come out until December via Amazon so I don’t know how that controller performs. My Snes 30 works wonderfully for games like Street fighter with the Dpad. The Nes30pro I have works great as well. I’m on the fence about preordering the Sfc30pro for my Switch.

From my understanding you have to buy the Nes classic edition retro receiver to play or on the Snes Mini.

Thanks! I already have a pro controller for Switch but I can't use it to play sf2 because of its crappy d pad. I think I might take it then...

Top Bottom