• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All New Skyward Sword Info from GI + Nintendo

BY2K

Membero Americo
The_Technomancer said:
The eyes fly wide thing feels like he's having a "holy shit...I'm actually going to pull this off" moment.

Which brings the question, did Ganondorf ever directly attacked Link's hometown in previous games?

There's Hyrule Castle in Ocarina of Time, though it happens off-screen.

Amir0x

Banned
fuck i dont know what to fill my time in with while i wait, excruciating. I keep playing games I purchased this week and then come back to thinking about Skyward Sword...it's a disease

Caelus

Amir0x said:
fuck i dont know what to fill my time in with while i wait, excruciating. I keep playing games I purchased this week and then come back to thinking about Skyward Sword...it's a disease

The amount of times I've watched the trailer is extraordinary.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
They should just admit it and put "made for Dolphin on PC" on the back of the box. Still can't believe how good it looks, but 100 people over 5 years adds some explanation to it. I love that they're going all out on Zelda, probably their most valuable franchise regardless of business.

Joei

Xun said:
I still dislike Ghirahim I must admit.

Am I the only one?

I don't dislike him per se, but to me he looks very young and cartoonish. He doesn't carry the same kind "evil" look that Ganon did. This may change with his characterization once I get to know more about him and see how he carries himself, but I'll say he looks very underwhelming for a villain.

Joei

Amir0x said:

While I'm eagerly anticipating this game, Dark Souls and Batman: AC will occupy me just fine while I wait.

Medalion

Banned
Joei said:
I don't dislike him per se, but to me he looks very young and cartoonish. He doesn't carry the same kind "evil" look that Ganon did. This may change with his characterization once I get to know more about him and see how he carries himself, but I'll say he looks very underwhelming for a villain.
He is the "different" that Zelda needs, a villain not like Ganon or an evil wizard per se, he is a fancy showboating Villain

Xun

Joei said:
Dislike is a strong word so I shouldn't of used that, but I fully agree with what you just said.

There's something immature and young about him that annoys me.

So whenever I see people using an avatar with his face on it I can't take them seriously.

MYE

Xun said:
I shouldn't of used the term dislike, but I fully agree with what you just said.

There's something immature and young about him that annoys me.

So whenever I see people using an avatar with his face on it I can't take them seriously.

You have a Mickey Mouse avatar with a "all my friends are dead" Brontosaurus face shopped into it :p

Xun

MYE said:
You have a Mickey Mouse avatar with a "all my friends are dead" Brontosaurus face shopped into it :p
I knew that was going to bite me in the arse.

But anyway, Mickey is timeless, that and I'm too lazy to take off the "all my friends are dead" meme.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
User33 said:
Nope, he looks stupid. For some reason, a lot of gaming fans have deluded themselves into thinking that crazy nonsensical characters make good characters.
There's a difference between nonsensical and showboating/flamboyant. Hopefully Giriham is the latter. I like a villain with some flair.

Kard8p3

The_Technomancer said:
The eyes fly wide thing feels like he's having a "holy shit...I'm actually going to pull this off" moment.

Well in the video you can here him laughing in this scene so he's definitely accomplished something.

MYE

User33 said:
Nope, he looks stupid. For some reason, a lot of gaming fans have deluded themselves into thinking that crazy nonsensical characters make good characters.

Its okay to deslike, but the bolded? No, dont do that.

Xun said:
I knew that was going to bite me in the arse.

But anyway, Mickey is timeless, that and I'm too lazy to take off the "all my friends are dead" meme.

I like your avatar. Keep it

Joei

Jaded Alyx said:

I thought Zant fine until he starts jumping around like he forgot his dose of Ritalin, lol. I think Zant could have been a decent villain, but it seems like Nintendo felt like they HAD to have Ganon in TP so they kind of abruptly decided to shove Zant off and shoehorn Ganon in.

Medalion said:
He is the "different" that Zelda needs, a villain not like Ganon or an evil wizard per se, he is a fancy showboating Villain

I hope you're right. He is the only thing I've seen out of SS that doesn't get me excited though.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Joei said:

And that's exactly what Aonuma wanted.

The Technomancer

Kard8p3 said:
Well in the video you can here him laughing in this scene so he's definitely accomplished something.
Yeah, the vibe I get is "I'm finally going to smash the sacred mirror of eternity-ma-jig and ....holy shit I actually did it!"

Akai

User33 said:

The emotion they've put into him in the scenes we've been shown is absolutely fantastic. He's brutal, cocky, and looks like he's having FUN doing what he does. But no, for some reason I have a feeling you guys would just rather have another angry/hateful/generic Ganondorf villain, which people seemed to have wanted Zant to turn out...

Jaded Alyx said:
I see a lot of people talking about the animation in Skyward Sword, but to me it doesn't seem any more impressive than Twilight Princess:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MB-05fHYSF0&feature=BFa&list=PLB5662B98E8DC9E64

Maybe they're referring to the in-game animations rather than the cutscene animations? Twilight Princess always had good animation in cut scenes, it was the in-game animation that was lacking especially compared to Wind Waker.

At least Skyward Sword's Link has a somewhat normal walking animation compared to how robotic it was in Twilight Princess.

Lunar15

While Ghirahim doesn't look as "powerful" as Ganondorf, he totally looks more diabolical. And those are the best types of villains. Sure, it's fun to have a villain who sits on an evil throne and acts all gruff, but I think it's more effective to have a villain that messes with your head.

I'd be ok if Ganon were the villain in every Zelda. Ganon was never deep or whatever, but to me he is the iconic villain of the series. Call it nostalgia or whatever you'd like but that's how I roll.

I'm not opposed to other villains and I get that since this is a prequel to a bunch of other prequels (they keep going back!) it makes sense for Ganon to not be the main villain, but I would surely take him over Zant or any of the other villains in the series.

bowqe0s.gif

ghirahimfea3.gif

theendforrealf87k.gif

drawfcq8.gif
I need this.

I need this.

Kard8p3

Lunar15 said:
While Ghirahim doesn't look as "powerful" as Ganondorf, he totally looks more diabolical. And those are the best types of villains. Sure, it's fun to have a villain who sits on an evil throne and acts all gruff, but I think it's more effective to have a villain that messes with your head.

I agree completely. I love Ganon as a villain but I prefer a villain to be a constant threat and based on what we know Ghirahim will be. By the time the game ends he'll probably have at least as much screen time as Ganon has had through the whole series.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
I love seeing these topics swing between Ghirahim love and hate. I think the fact that he elicits such strong responses already bodes well for the character as a villain.

*cue "sick with anger!" gif*

Jaded Alyx said:

Thank ye kindly. =]

Lord_Byron28 said:
Oops haha, thanks. I was too hasty in skipping over the OP because I saw all the spoiler boxes. :p

I don't dislike Ghirahim-- because I haven't played the game yet. I don't like his design much, was never a fan of ridiculously flamboyant, effeminate bad guys with mascara and emo-flopped hair but I can't judge yet. I think he could be... interesting, though.

BY2K

Membero Americo
From a Nintendo Power Interview with Aonuma.

I’ve also been wondering about this Lord Ghirahim. Who is he, and why is he so creepy?

Thinking about Gannon, the prototypical villain in the Legend of Zelda series–he’s a very masculine, powerful, evil character that anyone can look at and realize is your archenemy in the game. This time around, I thought that if we featured a character similar in presentation to Ganon, it really wouldn’t make that much of a difference and that new character wouldn’t have much impact. I wanted to make to make a character that contrasted what people think about Ganon–someone who is a little bit mysterious and kind of makes people think, “well, I don’t really know what to make of this somewhat terrifying character.” That was sort of my goal in making a character like Ghirahm, and that’s basically why I did that.

The whole point of Ghirahim IS to be different than Ganondorf.

BY2K said:
The whole point of Ghirahim IS to be different than Ganondorf.

Different is okay but that doesn't necessarily make it good. Also there is zilch and jack fuck "terrifying" about him. Not even for a Zelda game.

buuut like I said, haven't played the game yet, he could give me nightmares for all I know. well, he kind of already is.

FreeMufasa

Jaded Alyx said:
I see a lot of people talking about the animation in Skyward Sword, but to me it doesn't seem any more impressive than Twilight Princess:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MB-05fHYSF0&feature=BFa&list=PLB5662B98E8DC9E64

I agree. That scene in particular.

But the facial expressions and subtle animations are far beyond what was seen in TP. That's not to mention the gameplay animations are on a whole nother level.

EDIT: Damn, watching that video again reminds me of how much TP needed voice acting. It's like it was all in place and someone just hit the delete button.

Speculation on Ghirahim:

He looks to me to be from a race separate from the Hylians or the Sky people, one that uses magic, perhaps the interlopers that later became the Twili, maybe they were sort of demi-gods and he is one who has fallen from the path and has foul intentions. Or perhaps he is someone like Agahnim from A Link to the Past. He could be an agent of someone else or a higher power, or even someone from whom Ganondorf later learned his tricks. In the Link to the Past manga, Agahnim was actually a separate entity from Ganondorf, he was portrayed as someone who knew Link's Uncle and delved into magic -- he was used by Ganon from beyond the void, to break the seven seals. Like Agahnim, Ghirahim may want to seek access to the Golden Land or Sacred Realm where the Triforce resides... Ghira exists as a word in our world btw. In Arabic it can mean a kind of fierce self-respect, prestige and protective jealousy. In Sahih Bukhari - a Sunni Islamic book separate from the Quran - there are parables of sorts that talk of God / Allah's Ghira being greater than any mans. So what if Ghirahim is not actually your typical villain -- but a sort of fierce, arrogant protector of something? Maybe his people, or a secret power... I'd love it if Aonuma was trying to create another strange but sympathetic villain like Ganondorf in the Wind Waker. Even if he's not good, he certainly portrays an arrogance in the boss battle with link, and seems to prefer toying with him to killing him - so maybe there is something in the name.

The LTTP manga is here if anyone wants to read it: http://zs.ffshrine.org/album/link-to-the-past/manga/chap01/l_zelda_comic_001.jpg -- just change 001 to 002 etc.

I've just realised that the
Shiekah
woman appears to be going through a portal.

theendforrealf87k.gif

those waterfalls aren't in the room, she seems to be escaping through a gateway

Big One said:
Actually bro we already know Ghirahim is
the Demon Lord and ruler of the underworld (aka Hyrule)

I know we know a basic bit about who he is, but we don't know an awful lot about who or what he really is beyond the superficial level. There's clearly more to him imo.

Kard8p3

radioheadrule83 said:
I've just realised that the
Shiekah
woman appears to be going through a portal.

theendforrealf87k.gif

those waterfalls aren't in the room, she seems to be escaping through a gateway

Some have speculated she is going into the sacred realm in this scene. If that's the case I hope we get to go there at some point. Having the final boss fight in the sacred realm with the winner being able to create the hyrule we know and love from past games would be awesome.

Lord_Byron28 said:
We didn't know how much of a gem WW would turn out to be stylistic wise until we played the game.
Welllllllll, some of us who didn't spend the time from reveal to release bitching about Celda knew it from the get go.

Medalion

Banned
civilstrife said:
Okay guys... Could Ghirahim be Ganon's... Father?
Ghirahim impregnates Zelda through an ancient ritual, she gives birth to the destroy of Worlds, the baby is taken to the desert to the Valley of Gerudos to be hidden and kept from discovering his true evil potential

Kard8p3

I think Ghirahim discovered the source of his online nick name (debbie for those who don't know) and dismantled it because zelda universe now takes me to an earthlink page.

To the guy above though no I don't think Ghirahim will really have any relation to ganon though something he does in this game could eventually effect ganon in some way.

MYE

Medalion said:
Ghirahim impregnates Zelda through an ancient ritual, she gives birth to the destroy of Worlds, the baby is taken to the desert to the Valley of Gerudos to be hidden and kept from discovering his true evil potential

Reverse starwars?

The Technomancer

Medalion said:
Until his adoptive parents are killed and old Ben Gerudo down the way tells him of his father's legacy.

Top Bottom