• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All New Skyward Sword Info from GI + Nintendo

RagnarokX

Quick analysis of that gear thing.

-It has 12 teeth, so it's possibly a clock.
-each tooth has a different symbol, possibly repressenting different areas of hyrule? Some of the symbols look sorta familiar.
-It's on the bundle boxart.
-It has the goddess pearls from Wind Waker on it.
-It has what looks like sheet music between each goddess pearl.
-Triforce in the center?

Forkball

Link got owned by that log in the history video.

I'm still a bit disappointed in the art style they chose for the game, but I'm hyped. The collector's edition is everything we could ask for and combat looks like a blast. Leave it to Nintendo to actually do something with Wii Motion +.

Forkball said:
Link got owned by that log in the history video.

I'm still a bit disappointed in the art style they chose for the game, but I'm hyped. The collector's edition is everything we could ask for and combat looks like a blast. Leave it to Nintendo to actually do something with Wii Motion +.

Yeah, the artsyle kind of sticks out like a sore thumb in that retrospective. Wind Waker looked soooo much better.

BY2K said:
Maybe not destroy, but likely breaks it. Check it, you'll need to repair it.
I just hope we don't have to collect pieces and go to dungeons to collect items similar to past games. Such as repairing that device, collecting special items to forge the Master Sword, collecting 3 Goddess' gems, etc. However, I'm guessing the first two dungeons we won't be collecting a special item since Link is chasing after Zelda trying to get to her before Ghirahim does.

I like Skyward Swords artsyle better.
I'm not sure if it's my favorite but it's on par with WW and TP. I love the concept art but I'm waiting to see how everything will look. We didn't know how much of a gem WW would turn out to be stylistic wise until we played the game. I'm sure it will work the same for this game.

Unicorn

Kard8p3 said:
I like Skyward Swords artsyle better.
I like them both.

The style fits within the world they have built in each respective game perfectly.

Most of the animation in the videos I've seen for this game has more than made up for any shortcomings it may have in terms of enemies on screen, geometry, or whatever arbitrary thing that most commonly get spouted off as showing off a game's graphics etc.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
-It has 12 teeth, so it's possibly a clock.
-each tooth has a different symbol, possibly repressenting different areas of hyrule?

Aw man...I hope that means 12 main dungeons. Would be amazing.

Unicorn said:
Most of the animation in the videos I've seen for this game has more than made up for any shortcomings it may have in terms of enemies on screen, geometry, or whatever arbitrary thing that most commonly get spouted off as showing off a game's graphics etc.

This (and Link's model, lol) is really the only thing that could use improvement. Obviously it's not the designers fault for the Wii's power. They are doing a great job with what they have.

When I see the game in motion, it really does look like a living painting. It's fantastic.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
ExMachina said:
ghirahimfea3.gif

bowqe0s.gif

Buncha other SS gifs are here:

http://www.abload.de/gallery.php?key=rg0AL4Lz

Awesome.

Dat animation. So smooth.

drawfcq8.gif

Sn4ke_911

It's funny but i couldn't stand left handed link. I'm so happy he's now right handed.

It's the same for Counter-strike.

AAARRGH. That shit drives me crazy.

259px-Left-handed_weapon_models_in_Counter-Strike.png

Branduil said:
Wind Waker too often devolved into "press A to win" fights to have the best combat. Actually, TP easily wins there, but I think SS certainly looks to surpass both by a wide margin.

I agree the QTE was a bit broken but TWW had the smoothest combat. The other games felt stiffer to me. Like, TP was kind of more realistic so the moves weren't quite as smooth as TWW. SS does look better though.

Sn4ke_911 said:
Awesome.

Dat animation. So smooth.

drawfcq8.gif

I like the sheathing animation in TP better.

Kard8p3

JDSN said:
ghirahimfea3.gif

I love how his eyes and smile widen in a very subtle way, he is already an iconic villian.

Once the game comes out we're going to need gifs of every scene he's in so we can take in his fabulous animation.

In that Ghirahim gif as well as in some of the other footage I saw yesterday it seems that there's greater attention to nuance and subtlety in the facial expressions compared to TP. More Pixar and less Dreamworks, if you will.

Sn4ke_911 said:
It's funny but i couldn't stand left handed link. I'm so happy he's now right handed.

It's the same for Counter-strike.

AAARRGH. That shit drives me crazy.

259px-Left-handed_weapon_models_in_Counter-Strike.png

It just sucks there's no option for left or right handed, since I'm left handed, and will be playing with the remote in that hand, and there will be a disconnect between hand movement and game movement, when it's opposite hands between player and character.

JDAWGZZZ

-mixes tear collecting of Twilight Princess and stealth of Phantom Hourglass

That is just about the worst thing I've ever heard.

Poyunch

RagnarokX said:
speaking of that trailer, did anyone even TRY to charge up the sword beam in the Ghirahim fight at E3?
Maybe it was disabled. Official demoers would have known about this but not even they did that.

Sn4ke_911

Vinterbird said:
It just sucks there's no option for left or right handed, since I'm left handed, and will be playing with the remote in that hand, and there will be a disconnect between hand movement and game movement, when it's opposite hands between player and character.

Oh, ok that really sucks.

Rehynn

I can't believe I actually have the strength not to highlight the spoiler tags and watch the videos.

Please be worth it.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Vinterbird said:

Why can't you play with the Wiimote in your right hand and nunchuck in left hand? I mean, you've been using regular controllers for years where you moved your character with your left thumb. I would think that playing and moving your character with your right thumb(since you're using the nunchuck with your right hand) must be awkward.

J-Rock

Banned
Bisnic said:
Why can't you play with the Wiimote in your right hand and nunchuck in left hand? I mean, you've been using regular controllers for years where you moved your character with your left thumb. I would think that playing and moving your character with your right thumb(since you're using the nunchuck with your right hand) must be awkward.

Exactly. This is how I feel and I'm left handed.

vall03

omg! I have been on a media blackout since E3 and these new trailers and gameplay videos are wonderful! Im definitely getting the Gold Wiimote+ Bundle!

Jzero

I don't know why people go on media black-outs, i personally like to know the most i can about the game before buying it.

Lunar15

Jzero15 said:
I don't know why people go on media black-outs, i personally like to know the most i can about the game before buying it.

Two reasons:

One, because they want to have surprises in the game. If you see all the bosses in a trailer, it takes a bit away from the amazement when you see them in the game.

Two, people want to manage expectations. Perception is weird. After seeing all the trailers, a lot of people thought Twilight Princess would be one thing, but they got another.

Chairhome

Jzero15 said:
People want to be surprised. I don't want to know every item I'm going to get in this game before I get it. I'm not on a blackout, but I'm limiting what I see.

vall03

well, on my case its not about having surprises, Its just that Im very busy since June so I barely followed any media that came out since then...

I am definitely not visiting the official JPN site for anything other than the occasional trailer. Go and poke around the Twilight Princess site, they spoil just about everything.

Kard8p3

Lord Ghirahim said:
I am definitely not visiting the official JPN site for anything other than the occasional trailer. Go and poke around the Twilight Princess site, they spoil just about everything.

I don't remember for sure but I think most of that stuff was added after the game came out.

On a different note great new avatar.

Hobbun

I'm not sure if I like what I hear about Skyloft being a 'hub'. I was hoping the underworld would be a fully fleshed out world that you can travel from place to place on it's own (without having to go to Skyloft first).

But still excited about the game.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
theendforrealf87k.gif

Avatars, round 2! (didn't dig up any fanart this time though)

- Available -

n2Apu.jpg
UEBKJ.jpg
WKxeT.jpg
vNzIs.jpg
f7qZv.jpg

r9Pmy.jpg
bt0gF.jpg
ZNBay.jpg
JvJk6.jpg
IPRAq.jpg
eWWtz.jpg

ouVlx.jpg
S9Tul.jpg

- Taken -

MG1YJ.jpg
Diablos54
lFqeS.jpg
Mr. Paer
s3cdI.jpg
Lord Ghirahim
LOEI1.jpg
ronniehehehaha

GCNemesis

I believe I have some fairly logical ideas regarding the following:
igoxSmOUh01v2.gif

If you don’t want personal speculation about the story, you can skip this post and ignore the spoilered text below:

So I was looking for metrics regarding the length of cutscenes in Zelda titles and stumbled across a cutscene from Ocarina of Time. The following cutscene, while it being something most have seen if they’ve played through the game, seems to tiptoe around the events of Skyward Sword and the above image. Now we know that Skyward Sword leads into the events of OoT as stated by Nintendo and the recently released footage identifies a Skeikah, so with that, here’s what I believe that “wheel” is.

You can watch the following OoT cutscene here (main part starts 33 seconds into it). Sheik/Zelda explains that “the resting place of the sacred triangle, the Sacred Realm, is a mirror that reflects what is in the heart…”. I believe that the “wheel” in the GIF above that is being shattered (and on the box cover art) is the entrance to the Sacred Realm. My guess what is taking place in that scene is that Ghirahim has entered the Sacred Realm and claimed a piece of the triforce and upon exit, shatters the mirror/entrance that Zelda is appearing to protect (also note, her clothes, hair ties and bracelets are different). Or perhaps he is preventing someone from entering. This alludes to the fact that the following portion of the game will require Link to gather the pieces of the mirror in order to enter the Sacred Realm. This is similar to Twilight Princess and the Mirror of Twilight.

In regards to the Sheikah picture here, it appears to be a similar if not the same location as the above GIF. Now according to the quote from OoT, if taken literally, then perhaps this is a scene of the Sheikah entering the Sacred Realm, reflecting what is in her heart (note, the golden glow behind her, alluding to the triforce?)

Again, this is personal speculation so take it as you will.

I went through the trailer again (from the 3DS conference)
And noticed these two things.
zelda-1.png

So looks like the items to upgrade your weapons and shields can be found out in the wild too, so you don't just have to kill enemies.

Zeldayellowlight.png

I don't remember anything about a yellow light. Did I miss something on that?

Top Bottom