• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ALL of these “Direct” shows SUCK. PERIOD.

AGRacing

The DIRECT thing needs to go. Yesterday.

The flat delivery of the line “and we’re so excited for you to get your hands on game x when it launches on October 2” has become a joke and totally uninspiring of any excitement whatsoever.

I’m sorry… is it not “cool” to be enthusiastic about anything anymore? These are GAMES. Remember the build ups? The hype teases? The actual effort in marketing? We may as well bring AI straight into marketing now because the last 6 or so years has felt like we’ve had it there already. The answer isn't more generic-ass trailers. No amount of repetitive orchestral bass drops can fix this issue.

Bring back live audiences, surprises and hype that matches the grand vision of your game… no more flat “hey we hope you like it.”

I miss E3 2015.
Sad Michael Scott GIF

Robb

Gold Member
I don’t mind them but I do agree it was more fun when publishers had to adjust their reveals to us/the press than the other way around.

Feels like there’s barely any pressure on Nintendo/Sony/MS these days. They can just push out a showcase when they feel like.

At least with E3 you knew there was a set date and the pressure was on, everyone was forced to bring their big guns.

LastBattle

I thought the Xbox direct was great. Personally I feel more invested about upcoming games when I hear the passion and excitement from the developers. Rather than a 2min trailer with zero context or explanation of what you can expect. Keep ‘Em coming I say 😎

LakeOf9

I think Nintendo Directs are cool, and a few State of Plays have been good too. The Xbox ones are such a different format from the rapid fire nature of the other two that even if I don't really like that as much, it doesn't say anything about my thoughts on the general Direct format.

Robb

Gold Member
It’s so pathetic now. I miss all those hands on gameplay sessions of the editors getting to play the game and other E3 attendees. The conferences, everything about those shows were way better than this tripe.
Yeah there was definitely a lot of value in getting to see a live playable demo being played by a third party.

“here’s the developer playing a portion of the game where they’ve cut the footage perfectly to a avoid any mistakes and to make it look as perfect as possible”, doesn’t really do much for me.. That’s just another, longer, trailer.

Nvzman

The flat delivery of the line “and we’re so excited for you to get your hands on game x when it launches on October 2” has become a joke and totally uninspiring of any excitement whatsoever.

I’m sorry… is it not “cool” to be enthusiastic about anything anymore? These are GAMES. Remember the build ups? The hype teases? The actual effort in marketing? We may as well bring AI straight into marketing now because the last 6 or so years has felt like we’ve had it there already. The answer isn't more generic-ass trailers. No amount of repetitive orchestral bass drops can fix this issue.

Bring back live audiences, surprises and hype that matches the grand vision of your game… no more flat “hey we hope you like it.”

I miss E3 2015.
Sad Michael Scott GIF
The only company that does it well are Nintendo, you can really tell they are excited unlike the bland AF Xbox and PlayStation ones.

StereoVsn

Yep, I am with OP. These “Directs” are sterile. There is no interaction with audience, no media to take a look at the games.

E3 had that excitement, so many different companies mixed in, cacophony of sounds and visuals, interesting commentary and more.

While the company running E3 certain made a lot of mistakes, Nintendo and Sony departing is what really killed the show, besides COVID of course.

ungalo

I don't understand why people debates about formats. At most you can say there are too much of these shows and announcements are too scattered so we're losing our time.

The real problem is the lack of exciting announcements. We're hearing about games for years in leaks that end up being pretty random once uncovered 90% of the time.

The format of the Xbox Dev Direct is alright, don't worry they'll ditch it eventually just as they did with the previous ones, that's how Microsoft does thing, always on the short term.

I don't have a problem with regular Direct, whether it's Nintendo, Sony or Microsoft. Only fanboys will say one is doing it way better than the others when it's actually the same shit. It's just about if content sucks or not.

Last edited:

Hohenheim

I miss E3 2015.
Sad Michael Scott GIF
No, please.
Clean presentations, no shouting fuckers, pyro or strippers.
I just want a clean and to the point presentation of games, not all that surrounding bs. Suprises? Yes, sure!
Stuff like the Hi-Fi Rush / Metroid Prime Remastered shadow drops are awesome.
But yeah, directs are brilliant.
I don't need to see sweaty fanboys cheering and screaming to get hyped for games.

Last edited:

Reallink

They really do. Even the old earnings and sales data bits from old E3's were more engaging than these fake ass after school special presentations they do on these directs.

Last edited:

Meicyn

Gold Member
Jesus Christ, what a shitshow. Freakin circus.
No, gimme a "boring and generic" direct any day of the week.
Remember this shit?

VUF2wap.jpg

Was so funny reading how Itagaki saw everyone in these cult-like clothes at the 2010 E3 Xbox press event, went “nope” and left.

AGRacing

Jesus Christ, what a shitshow. Freakin circus.
No, gimme a "boring and generic" direct any day of the week.
We had bad ones. But the BEST direct format shows cannot hold a candle to the best E3s.

When you take some risks sometimes they fail or fall flat. Sometimes they create incredible moments.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
For me I dont care where or how they announced the game, I will get hyped as always if its about the game I'm in to.

Sojiro

Can't share in this opinion, I much prefer the multiple directs that are littered through the year than the one get together with awkward presentations and CEOs wasting time talking out their ass before rolling game trailers. I appreciate what E3 has given us over the last couple of decades, but it was a dated model that just didn't make sense anymore.

Top Bottom