• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All PS4 Pro enhanced games (native support and boosted)

Really appreciate this thread OP but damned if it is difficult to make sense of this

Through no fault of your own either. I just feel like the pro has created a bit of a stratified mess, and left devs to clean it up. I say that as a pro owner too.

That being said, I'm infinitely thankful to have played TLG at a stable 30fps :|

Really appreciate this thread OP but damned if it is difficult to make sense of this
It's only as complex as you want it to be. I think it's nice to have specifics, which is why I made the thread. But everything I've done could be summarized in a simple list of titles and a single sentence:

"If you buy any of these games on Pro, they will look better, run better, or both."

That there's a more detailed explanation possible is not any sort of indication that something's gone wrong. Think of it this way: you could've made a similar comparative list matching PS3 and PS4 versions of games at the start of the gen. That wouldn't have negated PS4's benefits, or made them too complex to understand.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Yes, it's in the list. I couldn't find any resolution or graphical improvements, but the 0.2: Birth by Sleep - A Fragmentary Passage section is 60fps on Pro, where it's 30fps on standard. The other portions of the collection are already 60fps, so if Pro improves framerate on those it's much more marginal. (And I don't have the tools/abilities to discover that.)

That's nice .. if the 0.2 part is based on the UE4 tech powering KH3, that bodes well for the full game on the Pro as well.

Dovahking

Battleborn Winter Update

PlayStation 4 Pro now has the following video options
  • 1080p @ 30fps
  • 1080p @ 60fps
  • Native 4K @ 30fps
PlayStation 4 OG and Xbox 1 can select between 1080p @ 30fps and 1080p @ up to 60fps
All consoles have the ability to now toggle between Minimum and Normal for Particle Detail in the video options

tootie923

Did the Fallout 4 Pro Patch ever release?

No, Bethesda said it would be in the next patch, whenever that's coming. I'm holding off on playing Nuka World DLC until then. Of course, there will probably be framerate problems with that patch, and then another one to fix it.

Venom.

Very helpful thread for detailing the exact differences between standard and pro versions for 1080p TV owners. Thank you.

I don't think Sony have done enough to push or promote this, perhaps having a dedicated Pro section in the PSN store. Also, aren't all new games now meant to have some kind of Pro support?

5taquitos

Does SMITE not support supersampling or what? I took a screenshot and it looks like 1080p to me

Image: http://abload.de/img/smite_2017011915231196saz.png

That screenshot is 3840x2160 though

Also, aren't all new games now meant to have some kind of Pro support?

There hasn't been much that's released since the Pro came out. GR2 has Pro support, Yakuza 0 won't (I believe) because it's just a translation of an older game. Steep has support, even though it's weak-ass support. I can't think of many other big games that have come out since the Pro released.

I would expect indie support to be super hit and miss.

That screenshot is 3840x2160 though

There hasn't been much that's released since the Pro came out. GR2 has Pro support, Yakuza 0 won't (I believe) because it's just a translation of an older game. Steep has support, even though it's weak-ass support. I can't think of many other big games that have come out since the Pro released.

Does that look like a native 4K game to you? Also, you can select between taking 1080p or 4k screenshots from the PS4 UI, no matter what resolution the game you are playing renders.

adamsapple

Yakuza 0, Berseria and Persona 5 might not have any Pro upgrades because they were developed before the Pro came out, probably won't be getting any extra work on their localization, but other big upcoming titles will definitely have it.

RE7, Horizon, Nioh, Mass Effect etc will. So, fair to say the "all games after Pro must have Pro upgrades" probably applies to named releases. I would hope all future releases have it.

Slaythe

Yes, it's in the list. I couldn't find any resolution or graphical improvements, but the 0.2: Birth by Sleep - A Fragmentary Passage section is 60fps on Pro, where it's 30fps on standard. The other portions of the collection are already 60fps, so if Pro improves framerate on those it's much more marginal. (And I don't have the tools/abilities to discover that.)

That is a pretty huge deal.

The regular ps4 feels awful to play with their laggy input delay and fps drops.

Gotcha, I still get confused about screenshotting on the Pro.

I know, pal. It's kinda confusing to be honest. If you look at the image, does it look 4k to you? Does it look like 1080p or more? My eyes are failing on me at this time so that's why I ask. That is definitely not a 4k native image as the game suggest is doing on the Pro.

Planet

:D

How would it work otherwise? I think im gonna buy game #4756723 - Is that the one where you shoot guys? - No, that was #4756724, I mean the one where you drive cars.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Man, the more time passes, the more I long for pro patches to older titles. Bloodborne, of course, GTA V/Online, Fallout 4 (where is this?), Battlefield Hardline and 4, AC Unity, Dying Light or even little stuff like LittleBigPlanet 3. Oh, and recent remasters like Bioshock, Dead Rising, and Resident Evil too. I'd love some supersampling or framerate smoothing.

Sucks that there's no option to take advantage of the power even with unpatched games. Some of these early titles are the ones that could use it the most.

Syranth

I don't think Sony have done enough to push or promote this, perhaps having a dedicated Pro section in the PSN store. Also, aren't all new games now meant to have some kind of Pro support?

There is but it's a mystery why it doesn't appear for everyone. Some people have it and some don't (I don't). I have a PSVR store page on my account and don't own a PSVR. It baffles me. I don't NEED that store front but it would be nice!

Edit: Ok, it's now on my Playstation Store! I went to "What's Hot" then over to the "Discover More" section. There was a "PlayStation 4 Pro - Enhanced 4K Gaming" box (it's white with a PS4 Pro on it). There is the section. Finally!

Edit 2: Aaaaaand it's just a "top hits" section. Had like 7 games. Ugh Sony. Get your crap together.

eagledare

Man, the more time passes, the more I long for pro patches to older titles. Bloodborne, of course, GTA V/Online, Fallout 4 (where is this?), Battlefield Hardline and 4, AC Unity, Dying Light or even little stuff like LittleBigPlanet 3. Oh, and recent remasters like Bioshock, Dead Rising, and Resident Evil too. I'd love some supersampling or framerate smoothing.

I'm playing Fallout 4 right now to catch up on the DLC and I can confirm its hideousness will make you crave a Pro patch every second you play it.

Does SMITE not support supersampling or what? I took a screenshot and it looks like 1080p to me
Smite does not supersample on a 1080p display. I'm very sorry, I've known this since support was announced (it's explained very clearly on the game's website), but I didn't tag the entry properly. My sincere apologies for this oversight. I've fixed it now.

Note that the game is dynamic on a 4K display, though, so resolution will dip to maintain framerate even there.

Also, aren't all new games now meant to have some kind of Pro support?
The PS Store in the UK has a long list of supposedly enhanced games, including a bunch of indies. This is what makes up the majority of that shortlist in the OP. At least some of them do have support, because the Amnesia Collection has been there for a while, and only very recently did I find evidence that it really is improved. So the other listed titles may also have enhancements, just we don't have good proof yet.

spectator

How would it work otherwise? I think im gonna buy game #4756723 - Is that the one where you shoot guys? - No, that was #4756724, I mean the one where you drive cars.

My point was that, without additional context, the comment about "named releases" doesn't really have a practical meaning. My post was an attempt to request clarification.

adamsapple

I would hope all future releases have names.

Y'all are terrible people :(

My point was that, without additional context, the comment about "named releases" doesn't really have a practical meaning. My post was an attempt to request clarification.

I guess by named releases I meant retail releases, digital and indie titles may not have to follow the same guidelines, that's what I meant to say.

1080p@60fps:

amarectv2017-01-1917-5gze5.png

amarectv2017-01-1918-3pxaa.png

4k downsampled to 1080p. The game automatically downsamples for you when you pick 4k@30.

amarectv2017-01-1917-fpx28.png

amarectv2017-01-1918-ezbr8.png

4k:

battleborn_201701191734b36.png

battleborn_2017011918rpaoq.png

Any news on Resident Evil 7?
Strangely, no. I would've assumed this close to release one of the comparison channels/sites out there would've gone in-depth, but I don't see anything. Capcom themselves have said that all versions are 1080p60 with HDR, with Pro having 4K support. Whether that's native or checkerboard, dynamic or not was unstated. (NXGamer believes the demo may have been reconstructed even at 1080p.) The PC version hits 4K without too much sweat, so native isn't out of the question for Pro. If it ends up lower, though, the game overall can be very soft, with blur and CA; a resolution drop might not be extremely noticeable.

1080p@60fps:

4k downsampled to 1080p. The game automatically downsamples for you when you pick 4k@30.

4k:

I'll try to get some gameplay screens in a bit.
Great, thanks! I assume the 1080p60 is on Pro as well, correct? If you could capture some shots of standard PS4 at 30fps and 60fps, that'd be helpful too. I really appreciate it!

Please note that due to other commitments, it's going to be a couple days before I can make more updates to the lists.

Great, thanks! I assume the 1080p60 is on Pro as well, correct? If you could capture some shots of standard PS4 at 30fps and 60fps, that'd be helpful too. I really appreciate it!

Unfortunately I gave my standard PS4 to my brother. I can try and dig up some old screenshots I took back when the game first launched.

Edit: Nvm. Guess I never took any screenshots of the game lol.

Smite does not supersample on a 1080p display. I'm very sorry, I've known this since support was announced (it's explained very clearly on the game's website), but I didn't tag the entry properly. My sincere apologies for this oversight. I've fixed it now.

Note that the game is dynamic on a 4K display, though, so resolution will dip to maintain framerate even there.

Oh crap. That's a bit annoying, the fact that it doesn't support supersampling. I kinda like the game but I'll reinstall it once I have a 4K TV.

black070

Can safely say the Pro section of the PS Store isn't randomly updated since it just added Assassins Creed: Syndicate, Overwatch & Batman: Return to Arkham on its page. The only titles (apart from untested indies) on there that seemingly have shown no difference are XCOM 2 & Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3.

Liabe Brave, for Lara Croft Go do you need some screenshots? Is that what I am understanding from your OP?

If so, I will happily oblige.

eastx

What's the status on World of Final Fantasy? Somebody said it had been patched recently, but it's still not in the list.

adamsapple

What's the status on World of Final Fantasy? Somebody said it had been patched recently, but it's still not in the list.

It's been patched but the only thing the new patch fixed was the depth of field bug the game had running it on a Pro. There has been no enhancements or improvements so far whatsoever, just bug fixing.

eastx

It's been patched but the only thing the new patch fixed was the depth of field bug the game had running it on a Pro. There has been no enhancements or improvements so far whatsoever, just bug fixing.

Ah, thanks. At least we can play it on the Pro now then. Wish they'd enhance it too, though.

Jacob4815

Strangely, no. I would've assumed this close to release one of the comparison channels/sites out there would've gone in-depth, but I don't see anything. Capcom themselves have said that all versions are 1080p60 with HDR, with Pro having 4K support. Whether that's native or checkerboard, dynamic or not was unstated. (NXGamer believes the demo may have been reconstructed even at 1080p.) The PC version hits 4K without too much sweat, so native isn't out of the question for Pro. If it ends up lower, though, the game overall can be very soft, with blur and CA; a resolution drop might not be extremely noticeable.

The last demo with PRO support could be downsampled in a 1080p Tv.
It's very clean with good IQ, I think it looks better than the first demo without PRO support. First demo was very jaggied.

However it's not official, it's only my feeling!

For someone who has (or had) both a PS4 and a PS4 Pro. Is the upgrade really worth it? Not in the meaning of looking pretty or something. In the meaning of performance. Like FPS. I might wanted to get it for Nioh or Dark Souls or Bloodborne for a more stable FPS but those aren't supported yet. Nioh might get support day 1 but in action mode it is pretty much a stable 60 fps on my original PS4.

For someone who has (or had) both a PS4 and a PS4 Pro. Is the upgrade really worth it? Not in the meaning of looking pretty or something. In the meaning of performance. Like FPS. I might wanted to get it for Nioh or Dark Souls or Bloodborne for a more stable FPS but those aren't supported yet. Nioh might get support day 1 but in action mode it is pretty much a stable 60 fps on my original PS4.
The table in post #2 has your answer.

taimoorh

Man I really hope they patch Persona 5 for the Pro. I just want crisper visuals for my KS8500. Don't think this is one game that will benefit much from HDR given the art style, but please gimme 4K @ 30fps! It's a PS3 game, this should definitely be possible!

Unfortunately I gave my standard PS4 to my brother. I can try and dig up some old screenshots I took back when the game first launched.

Edit: Nvm. Guess I never took any screenshots of the game lol.
No problem, thanks for the help you've been giving the thread. It's much appreciated! In any case, due to my brief posting hiatus NXGamer has put out a more detailed comparison that proves 4K for Battleborn, along with much better framerate and downsampling when in 1080p mode. I've added the game to the OP.

So, is this the first game that utilizes the ID buffer?
The ID buffer is only necessary as an error-correction aid for checkerboarding. Geometry rendering as with Gravity Rush 2 doesn't require it. There's some explanation as to what the ID buffer is for in my CBR thread.

Hmm.... guess I pass on the pro then.
Obviously it's your choice, but this thread shows 30+ games with better framerate on Pro than on standard PS4, even including a couple that go from 30fps to 60fps. If framerate is your main consideration, Pro will certainly be the best place to play many games now and in the future.

Darksiders has a 1620p resolution on the Pro, not native 4k. Helldivers 2160p checkerboarding. Let it Die 1440p 60fps.

They were mentioned here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzaNHztNt4w
Thanks for posting! Just a couple notes about this Digital Foundry report:

They mention Farming Simulator 17 in the accompanying article, but not the video. Both article and video don't discuss Hatsune Miku: Project Diva X HD and RIVE, which I believe may both possibly be 2160p60 (though my analysis on them is uncertain due to low amounts of testing material). The article also misses Battleborn as a 4K (but not simultaneously 60fps) game; I presume the update was too recent to make the cut.

I've updated Darksiders to the correct resolution. I must admit that this is an instance where I didn't do analysis, but took the developer's word. So Digital Foundry's point is well taken, when they remind people that the phrase "4K support" doesn't necessarily mean full 3840x2160 rendering. But in my defense, that's not all that THQ Nordic said about the Warmastered edition. Their official press release also says "Console players are catching up – 4K for Darksiders Warmastered Edition NOT reserved for PC only" and "Say hello to THQ Nordic’s first (but surely not last) 4K console game." Those really do look like claims for native 3840x2160, which is what I assumed.

That said, I apologize to readers for being trusting, especially since pixel counting of shots like this one immediately shows the game as 1620p. In the future, I'll avoid posting details without objective evidence from my own or other analysis.

After some discussion in this thread, I concluded that Helldivers is actually geometry rendering like Bound. This is why textures don't seem improved at all. Digital Foundry thinks it's CBR instead because there are artifacts on edges, but these could come from non-ordered samples in the geometry method. However, it is possible that DF is right and this is from unshaded samples in CBR. (Though if the render budget for shading all samples is too high, why not just CBR a lower resolution to begin with?)

Finally, they agree with my analysis on Let It Die, which is good confirmation.

Gravity Rush 2 is out now, you should add it.
Done! I've also added Rez Infinite, which I previously only had as improved in VR on Pro. And I've made slight adjustments to a bunch of other games as well.

Liabe Brave, for Lara Croft Go do you need some screenshots? Is that what I am understanding from your OP?

If so, I will happily oblige.
Yes, screenshots would be great! The best is comparisons--as similar as possible--with your Pro set to 4K output and to 1080p output. (Or, if the game lets you choose in an internal settings menu, that way.) The shots themselves should be 4K no matter what the console output is set to. Any impressions you can give of other notable differences (framerate, shadows, particles, etc.) are also helpful.

Thanks a lot! Input from users like you helps me keep the thread updated despite not having a Pro. I've made some changes to the OP to make it clear about the status of unlisted games, and what's necessary to get them into the main lists.

Top Bottom