• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

alright GAF lets do it: Quake vs UT

Zeliard

I find it interesting how almost everyone here seems to associate Quake with Quake 3. In my view, Quakeworld is the purest expression of the genre we've had.

UT, the perfect balance in walk friction between Quake's "Rollerblading Robot Dipped in Motor Oil on Ice" and Half Life/CS's "Awkwardly Locked Knees with Leg Arthritis" feel.

butzopower

proud of his butz
Q3DM17 > every other game on every other platform in the history of gaming

dpEZc.jpg

Bow down, plebes.

Q3DM17 bows down to The Edge (Q2DM1):

Melchiah

My favorite UT2003 maps:

DM - Antalus
t8M2O0Hl.jpg

DM - Tokara Forest
aERPQYIl.jpg

DD - Sun Temple
MbajotRl.jpg

I always liked the big outdoor maps the most, but I think those in UT2004 were even too huge for their own good.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
My favorite UT2003 maps:

DM - Antalus
t8M2O0Hl.jpg

I always liked the big outdoor maps the most, but I think those in UT2004 were even too huge for their own good.

Worst thing about UT2003 was the loss of the enforcer and replaced with that horrid as shit AR.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Rocket Arena 2 will still go down as my favorite FPS experience of all time. Nothing has ever come close to that feeling of competition.

Melchiah

Worst thing about UT2003 was the loss of the enforcer and replaced with that horrid as shit AR.

The weapon balance in general was IMO better though, and I personally loved that they exchanged sniper rifle to lightning gun, which made campers' life harder.

To think that modern console plebes will never know the feeling of a shock combo.

Instead of "shock combo," everyone in my college dorms called it "blue bullshit."

Edit: Also grabbing the redeemer and then firing it at your feet to blow up yourself and like 5 other people was awesome.

nowai

Quake, no contest.

Better guns, better setting, better atmosphere. Just better.

Also being a proper shot with a rail gun = skill, instagib where you can shoot a limb in Unreal = lame.

osuoa

Neo Member
I loved unreal tournament but can't comprehend how someone who has
experienced both can't see how much Quake rocks Unreal.

Perkel

Banned

Yeah and this is why UT2003 mostly sucked (beside lack of UT99 features). When you start you are horribly under-powered like in Q3. With enforcer you could put anyone with 3-4 headshots.

The weapon balance in general was IMO better though, and I personally loved that they exchanged sniper rifle to lightning gun, which made campers' life harder.

Lightning gun was shit. Assault rifle was leagues above that horrible peace of crap. Also campers ? Really in Ut99 or Q3 there was no camping when people compete with each other on certain skill level. Camping in game with someone who know how to play is quick way to lose.

Melchiah

Lightning gun was shit. Assault rifle was leagues above that horrible peace of crap. Also campers ? Really in Ut99 or Q3 there was no camping when people compete with each other on certain skill level. Camping in game with someone who know how to play is quick way to lose.

It certainly was a problem in UT99. Why else would they have set UT03 so, that if you remained stationed too long, the game announced "Camper!", and revealed your position to the others.

Macmanus

The levels looked prettier in UT99, but aesthetically they were significantly weaker than Q3's design. Even Q2 to be honest.

Both brought so much to the table. If you're hardcore about DM - Q3. Hardcore about team combat - UT.

UT2K4 had pretty much the best soundtrack of any FPS ever.

So awesome to get in the game when almost every song was completely adrenaline-pumping.

edit: And Convoy, combined with the soundtrack, is literally the best thing ever to happen to mankind

CAVE343

UT all the way. Deathmatch on deck16 and the various ctf maps (like dreary, lava and november) were truly godlike, no contest.

UT99 also shit on UT2k4 and the other sequels

Sojiro

Competitively Quake hands down....but for me UT was way more fun, and offered a much better experience, not to mention UT had assault, and I fucking love assault. I started with UT99, but I preferred 2004, and I played the hell out of it. UT3 disappointed me compared to the others, but I don't think its a "bad" game overall. It just feels so damn different to 2004 which I have devoted vastly more time in so i'm sure that weighs heavily on my impression of it.

spirity

There was a tactical side to Q3 that on the surface was easy to miss.

For example, the red armor and yellow armor. Do you want to deprive your opponent of both? You'll have to damage yourself to do so. Or do you want to leave them up and set a trap for your opponent, denying them? If you're both good you'll know the timings of all the pickups. But its not just about knowing the map and controlling it, its examining your opponents style and anticipating his moves. I expect UT was similar.

Having pickups in an online fps is something I really miss. I'm sure one of the CoD's had a game type like that, but not many played it. There was more xp to be earned in search and destroy, and thats all that mattered. I guess.

CAVE343

There was a tactical side to Q3 that on the surface was easy to miss.

For example, the red armor and yellow armor. Do you want to deprive your opponent of both? You'll have to damage yourself to do so. Or do you want to leave them up and set a trap for your opponent, denying them? If you're both good you'll know the timings of all the pickups. But its not just about knowing the map and controlling it, its examining your opponents style and anticipating his moves. I expect UT was similar.

Having pickups in an online fps is something I really miss. I'm sure one of the CoD's had a game type like that, but not many played it. There was more xp to be earned in search and destroy, and thats all that mattered. I guess.

Yeah UT has the same power up system, those were the days. Such a shame that the frantic fast paced gameplay can't be replicated on the current consoles, UT3 was such a let down

zon

I've yet to play a multiplayer game to match the crisp responsiveness and mountain-high skill ceiling of Quakeworld. Played it for a good decade. Wish we could get something else like it.

Is the instagib option still there? I enjoyed playing that for a while. I got all the noobs to scream cheater whenever I showed up when I started to improve skillwise :D

UT99 is the best game ever.
OP is wrong.

This is true.

It's a travesty that every single sequel was shit compared to the original UT. Quake, as a series, has been handled far better.

The flak cannon in UT99 is one of the best weapons in a multiplayer fps ever. I also really like the sniper and the pulse rifle; all so satisfying.

Vee_One

Quake all the way, I love UT but Quake (all of) is where it was at:

Q3DM6
Q3DM7
Q3DM17
Q2DM1

The only maps that I *love* in UT are Facing Worlds and Deck 17. The rest are too generic for me

Edit: Quad Damage - original and best. You're not fooling anyone UT

Melchiah

The flak cannon in UT99 is one of the best weapons in a multiplayer fps ever. I also really like the sniper and the pulse rifle; all so satisfying.

Another Flack Cannon guy here. Which is one of the reasons I didn't like UT04 that much, as they nerfed the good old FC. I dunno if the balance was changed later on, as I didn''t play the game for that long, but I remember the Minigun being too powerful back then. Which is why it was the dominant weapon in multiplayer matches.

Oh the memories. Thresh and Immortal in quake 2. In quake 3 Cypher, the best shot/aim i've ever seen in competitive fps. The skill ceiling in those games was high. Now we have cod as the premier MLG shooter... well I suppose communicating effectively with your teammates can be considered a skill.

Quake all the way, I love UT but Quake (all of) is where it was at:

Q3DM6
Q3DM7
Q3DM17
Q2DM1

I'd add q3tourney4 to that. Such a fun map.

I find it interesting how almost everyone here seems to associate Quake with Quake 3. In my view, Quakeworld is the purest expression of the genre we've had.

I think its more because the OP wanted this to be UT99 vs. Quake 3 and not necessarily the two whole franchises. It still pretty much worked out in the end though.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I was a UT guy back in the day. Played it a ton on PC and then PS2 lol. I would however like to go back and play some Quake. I think as a competitive shooter fan I owe it to myself to see what that game is like.

SA-X

I'm not really a big fan of super fast arena shooters but I always loved Quake for some reason. I remember I had a demo for Quake 3 that came with an old pc gamer issue that I played endlessly.

Unreal, however, is fucking terrible. 99, 2k3, whatever, all dog shit. Unreal is the Timesplitters of pc gaming.

Top Bottom