• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alundra and Arc the Lad on PSN 10.12.2010, $5.99 apiece

Belgand

TheSeks said:
It's out of Vic's hands, Sony wants to do them seperately. Stupid, but eh... the cost of all three (and including "Arena" is around $15 total for the "collection" that costed $80-100 in 2000(?), so it's not a bad trade off.

Interesting how times have changed in only about ten years or so. As I recall in the past it was out of Vic's hands as Sony demanded that they had to be bundled.

Also count me as a Day One purchaser of Alundra. I tried to resist and say that I had plenty of other games to play. I'd just picked up some older games that I haven't even started and I have a disgustingly large backlog of games I'm halfway through, but I eventually relented and had to own it. I'm glad to see it come out after thinking that it was only ever going to be on PSN in Japan, but I'm also a bit perplexed. I thought Vic said that he was completely unwilling to work with Sony again after his past treatment by them and that he would never do this sort of thing as a matter of principle. Was I mistaken, have things changed, or have you decided to cave to pressures and do this for the fans without which you are nothing?

I would absolutely love to see Maximo HD as well as other future RPG/action-rpgs re-released on to PSN. Getting a chance to get classic WD titles re-released is fabulous.

vireland

Nuclear Muffin said:
Hey Vic. Congrats on finally getting there with these two! I've always wanted to play them :D

I was wondering what MonkeyPaw's involvement is in this deal exactly? I would've thought that there wouldn't be any problems regarding it's US PSN release since you already own all of the rights to Working Design's works.

Surely it would simply be a deal between you and Sony? (would Matrix be involved as well?) Or did Sony need some convincing perhaps and Monkeypaw helped in that respect?

John (MP head)and I have a long-term relationship going back to the Turbografx days, and we have similar goals. He already was set up on the PSN and had a relationship with Sony and a relationship with me, so he put my chocolate with their peanut butter and made something delicious for gamers to enjoy again (or for the first time, in the case of gamers who weren't around the first time).

Like I said before, as long as the sales are decent, we plan to do many more of these, including some PS1 games that have never been released here.

Belgand

Erdrick said:
THESE are the types of games I want on PSN. I know there are logistical and legal hurdles that are larger and longer than even the lengthiest of a typical Working Designs release date/delay of days gone by, but for those who do manage to get the real good PS games up for DL, you have my sincere thanks.

Thanks Vic, and everyone else who worked hard to get these games to us here in North America. I really appreciate your efforts.

QFT. This is what we want out of the PSone classics. Just for getting it out there again you have my deep personal thanks.

Aru said:
I waited far too much for Alundra. I borrowed a friend's copy, thinking it would never be released on US PSN.
It's a great game, but sometimes frustrating. A near-perfect mix of Landstalker and Zelda. It has aged well and looks very good on PSN, despite having dark colors.

This reminds me, is there any chance of getting Landstalker out... even though it's not something you personally had the rights to in the past? I seem to recall reading just yesterday that it's up on VC, but if not...?

vireland

Belgand said:
QFT. This is what we want out of the PSone classics. Just for getting it out there again you have my deep personal thanks.

This reminds me, is there any chance of getting Landstalker out... even though it's not something you personally had the rights to in the past? I seem to recall reading just yesterday that it's up on VC, but if not...?

That's pretty much a SEGA thing, which is a rights quagmire. If it gets done, they will be the ones doing it.

Belgand

vireland said:
That's pretty much a SEGA thing, which is a rights quagmire. If it gets done, they will be the ones doing it.

How delightful that SEGA of America HQ is here in San Francisco. Hopefully whatever terrible ideas I have to force this will make the news up in Redding. :D

Any chance you could give us a few hints about titles you'd like to re-release or localize for the first time? I'd hate to sour a potential deal, but a chance to get all hyped-up with fanboy glee (better to fuel the hatred at a lowest common denominator world when everything falls through in favor of more generic pablum) is always nice.

vireland

Belgand said:
How delightful that SEGA of America HQ is here in San Francisco. Hopefully whatever terrible ideas I have to force this will make the news up in Redding. :D

Any chance you could give us a few hints about titles you'd like to re-release or localize for the first time? I'd hate to sour a potential deal, but a chance to get all hyped-up with fanboy glee (better to fuel the hatred at a lowest common denominator world when everything falls through in favor of more generic pablum) is always nice.

Let's see how these first few go before getting people into a bigger lather. There's a tough road ahead, and I'm not sure the support is 100% there to make this work on PSN, but we're giving it a shot with some of the best PS1 stuff first to give it the best chance of succeeding.

Man

My Scandinavian Visa card no longer works on US PSN. :(
First purchase attempt since Spring, it worked at that time. CC purchases finally region locked it seems.

Hobbun

vireland said:
John (MP head)and I have a long-term relationship going back to the Turbografx days, and we have similar goals. He already was set up on the PSN and had a relationship with Sony and a relationship with me, so he put my chocolate with their peanut butter and made something delicious for gamers to enjoy again (or for the first time, in the case of gamers who weren't around the first time).

Like I said before, as long as the sales are decent, we plan to do many more of these, including some PS1 games that have never been released here.

Oh, like hearing that!

vireland

Man said:
First purchase attempt since Spring, it worked at that time. CC purchases finally region locked it seems.

If you manage to download it, I'd be interested to know if you can play the game on your EU PSP and PS3. We might be able to make the US version available in Europe as English only PSP title to speed release. I don't think it would work in the EU PS3 PS1 emulation, but I'd be happy to hear differently.

CO_Andy

vireland said:
I don't think it would work in the EU PS3 PS1 emulation, but I'd be happy to hear differently.
Don't see why not considering we can play direct Japanese imports officially now on U.S. PSN courtesy of MonkeyPaw.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Man said:

You could purchase PSN cards like what I do. I have a US PSN account, buy US PSN cards (local area sells them), but I don't live in the US.

GeoramA

Alundra is amazing. One the few PSone classics that has withstood the test of time. The tight control makes it a treat to play on the DS3's d-pad. Plus it looks fantastic with smoothing and full-screen mode turned on.

$6 well spent.

GeoramA said:
Alundra is amazing. One the few PSone classics that has withstood the test of time. The tight control makes it a treat to play on the DS3's d-pad. Plus it looks fantastic with smoothing and full-screen mode turned on.

$6 well spent.
Yeah, I'm surprised it plays so well. It's my first time playing it and other than the writing, it doesn't feel dated.

androvsky

CO_Andy said:
Don't see why not considering we can play direct Japanese imports officially now on U.S. PSN courtesy of MonkeyPaw.

I don't remember the specifics, but there was some oddity regarding NTSC PS1 games on European PS3s (or vice-versa). It was PAL-related somehow, and it was even a problem on HDTVs, defying common sense. No idea if that ever got straightened out.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
mempbisB said:
how did alundra look for wide screen lcd tvs?

Looked great to me. The expansion/widening doesn't look awkward or anything.

vireland

CO_Andy said:

I'm primarily interested in the NTSC (US/Japan) vs PAL (EU/Aus) timings. Does the emulation or PS3 allow NTSC PS1 games with original timings run on PAL systems. That's what I'd like to know. If it does, we may be able to get it on EU PSN at an English only title until the Psygnosis thing it straightened out.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Sooo its been a week since these games came up. Going by the number of ratings the got squished by the other two games that came out alongside them.

Sonic 4 Ep.1: 1100
Dead Space Ignition: 302
Alundra: 252
Arc the Lad: 111

PSP peeps can't rate unless they go through PS3 or Media Go so that might be a small handicap. What if anything can we get outta these numbers o.o? Is these classics off to a good start or no?

edit: after two weeks~
Sonic 4 Ep.1: 1362
Dead Space Ignition: 408
Alundra: 310
Arc the Lad: 138

three~
Sonic 4 Ep.1: 1461
Dead Space Ignition: 484
Alundra: 346
Arc the Lad: 156

V_Ben

Banned
vireland said:
I'm primarily interested in the NTSC (US/Japan) vs PAL (EU/Aus) timings. Does the emulation or PS3 allow NTSC PS1 games with original timings run on PAL systems. That's what I'd like to know. If it does, we may be able to get it on EU PSN at an English only title until the Psygnosis thing it straightened out.

Well, the only thing stopping PS games from other regions running on EU PS3's is the region lock itself, i'd guess. The emulator should be able to handle the timings just fine.

I3rand0

Lindsay said:
Sooo its been a week since these games came up. Going by the number of ratings the got squished by the other two games that came out alongside them.

Sonic 4 Ep.1: 1100
Dead Space Ignition: 302
Alundra: 252
Arc the Lad: 111

PSP peeps can't rate unless they go through PS3 or Media Go so that might be a small handicap. What if anything can we get outta these numbers o.o? Is these classics off to a good start or no?

That's disgusting that Sonic and Dead Space sold more than both of these classics. Obviously not everyone rates these titles (I know I didn't), and hopefully they sold much better than the data that's given.

I already own Alundra on PS1 and a still sealed strategy guide, but I'm going to buy this anyway just to support Working Designs titles. I hope to see more soon! :D

Yasae said:
:lol Helllllllllllllllllllllllllll no.
Twilight of the Spirits has terrific music, decent graphics, a beautiful world, and the Deimos storyline is better than the previous Arc games by a country mile.

androvsky

vireland said:

Not being in Europe, I can't test it myself, but I found the discussion I was remebering... I had it backwards, apparently it was NTSC systems having trouble with PAL games, even on HDTVs. Discussion starts at post #32.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=380560
From that, it appears the PS1 emulator doesn't adjust timings at all, it's whatever the original game was. But playing an NTSC game on a PAL system would only cause problems if the PS3 is hooked up to a PAL-only SDTV, which is supposedly pretty rare. Don't know if it'd be a TRC issue with SCEE.

I get the impression if there was an NTSC PS1 classics store in Europe like there's a Japanese PS1 classics store here, there would be much rejoicing. ;)

And a couple posts from SolidusDave who imports PS1 games on PSN from all over, apparently, just to verify that PAL systems will play NTSC PS1 games:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=19032043&postcount=26
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=23140164&postcount=25

klee123

vireland said:

No problems at all. My PS3 is PAL, but I download PSone games from the US and Japanese store. The games run exactly the same as when I played them on my launch NTSC PS3 which had a YLOD 2 years ago.

Besides, all modern of TVs in Australia here have NTSC support anyways.

vireland

androvsky said:
Not being in Europe, I can't test it myself, but I found the discussion I was remebering... I had it backwards, apparently it was NTSC systems having trouble with PAL games, even on HDTVs. Discussion starts at post #32.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=380560
From that, it appears the PS1 emulator doesn't adjust timings at all, it's whatever the original game was. But playing an NTSC game on a PAL system would only cause problems if the PS3 is hooked up to a PAL-only SDTV, which is supposedly pretty rare. Don't know if it'd be a TRC issue with SCEE.

I get the impression if there was an NTSC PS1 classics store in Europe like there's a Japanese PS1 classics store here, there would be much rejoicing. ;)

And a couple posts from SolidusDave who imports PS1 games on PSN from all over, apparently, just to verify that PAL systems will play NTSC PS1 games:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=19032043&postcount=26
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=23140164&postcount=25

Perfect, thanks. Maybe we can finally get Arc I, II, III to Europe on PSN now. Fingers crossed.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Lindsay said:

I can't care about the sales data, so long as I get Arc 2/Arena and Arc 3, I won't have to choke a Grace Chen. >_>

However, many people buying Sonic 4 proves the Sonic fanbase is full of morons.

I don`t know whether this is a publisher side thing, or a amazon side thing, but I sure wish the download code on the amazon.com site would work for Alundra. It has been on the site for like a week now with the code being "unavailable."

vireland

TheShampion said:
I don`t know whether this is a publisher side thing, or a amazon side thing, but I sure wish the download code on the amazon.com site would work for Alundra. It has been on the site for like a week now with the code being "unavailable."

Looking into it...

Hi Vic,

Just curious - without getting into specifics will you be letting us know if / when the "test" games meet (or don't meet) their sales quotas, or is this not something you're at liberty to share?

Thanks!

vireland

JLateralus said:
Hi Vic,

Just curious - without getting into specifics will you be letting us know if / when the "test" games meet (or don't meet) their sales quotas, or is this not something you're at liberty to share?

Thanks!

I'll definitely say something if we hit the kind of numbers we need to. Arc I-III is pretty much a lock for release, but after that is the stuff that will depend on sales of Alundra/Arcs to make happen. Getting EU releases will help, too, if that works out. There's just so little money per unit that you have to make it up on modest volume to make the deals pay out enough to get the licensors interested.

vireland

TheShampion said:

Heh! You noticed before I could post it was fixed!

bh7812

Banned
I definitely will be buying Alundra the first chance I get, I'd preferably like to get a much bigger hard drive for my PS3 first before I do though. But it's definitely on the "to get" list. I've played through the first dungeon of it and it's one of the games I'd definitely like to play all the way through.

Mr. Ireland..I do have a suggestion for future releases..When Saturn emulation gets to where a fair amount of the games can get up and running on PSN, could you please consider putting up Magic Knight Rayearth and Albert Odyssey? I do have a Saturn but I cannot save progress for any of my games :( (long story there) It would just be way easier to be able to play those on my PS3 at this point. Those are also games I would like to completely experience. I thought I'd add in my suggestions for future releases. I do understand if those two ever happen they will be much further down the line though.

vireland

bh7812 said:
I definitely will be buying Alundra the first chance I get, I'd preferably like to get a much bigger hard drive for my PS3 first before I do though. But it's definitely on the "to get" list. I've played through the first dungeon of it and it's one of the games I'd definitely like to play all the way through.

Mr. Ireland..I do have a suggestion for future releases..When Saturn emulation gets to where a fair amount of the games can get up and running on PSN, could you please consider putting up Magic Knight Rayearth and Albert Odyssey? I do have a Saturn but I cannot save progress for any of my games :( (long story there) It would just be way easier to be able to play those on my PS3 at this point. Those are also games I would like to completely experience. I thought I'd add in my suggestions for future releases. I do understand if those two ever happen they will be much further down the line though.

In terms of licensing ease, MKR is probably the hardest one from the WD Saturn era because of all the parties involved. It's a gorgeous game, though. If Saturn emulation becomes reliable enough on PSN, I'd love to see it on there. However, you'd probably see Dragon Force, Iron Storm, and Albert Odyssey first because getting the parties on board will be easiest for those (not to mention a pretty significant fanbase for Dragon Force).

Of course, that's all in the future. By Arc and Alundra now and tell your friends to so we can get to that level. :)

Aru

Man said:

It wasn't when I bought Lunar in August. So I doubt it is now. I'll try again next month, when Knights in the Nightmare is released.

Benedict

Man said:

It's been like that for months, the only option now is to buy prepaid PSN-cards.

I've done that with no problem.
And Alundra works just fine on a PAL-PSN (Swedish)

Wow...tickle me surprised to see these games (especially Alundra) getting the green light for PSN. I will definitely jump on both as I never got to play Alundra because my copy from the first run of games had a nasty bug that would freeze the game (and delete the save I think) when trying to loot the chest after the first boss. I remember returning it for store credit and later using it on Final Fantasy Tactics.

I do have a couple of questions for Mr. Ireland in regards to other companies:

1) Is there any possibility on seeing Persona: Innocent Sin getting a localization on PSOne? Or even Soul Hackers for that matter? (I remember vaguely I think it was GameFan back in the day saying Atlus had the OK initially)

2) I understand there is a lot of red tape regarding SEGA games, but in your estimation is the Shining Force 3 trilogy completely out of the question or for that matter Saturn games in general for PSN/VC/Live? (Panzer Saga, which I own, but have stored for safe keeping!)

Thanks for your dedication!

edit: Whoops I saw your post above about Saturn emulation, which I thought was the main hurdle to be passed. Would love to see all those WD translations brought up. Even though I own Albert Odyssey, Dragon Force, and Magic Knight RayEarth, I would much rather keep them safe.

The thought of possibly seeing some of the rare Saturn games come over that I've never had the chance to play makes me giddy.

I know I did my part. Both alundra and arc the lad purchased day one!

DonMigs85

Haha, I still remember a line from EGM's review of Dragon Force... They said many of the characters spoke like 90's mallrats. I'd love to give it a shot if it ever does make it to PSN.

Being Euro, so never having a chance to play Arc of the Lad, I have to say the game's really ugly looking, but quite fun though.
Do the sequels improve the sprite work?

jgkspsx

To the tune of Handel's Hallelujah chorus:

VICtor Ireland
GAIjinworks
VICTOR IRELAND
GAIJINWORKS
ALUNDRA REBORN

I never play my two PSPs anymore, because I enjoy the portable NES thing too much to remove the CFW, and because I don't really have the time to worry about updating the CFW. I guess I'll have to figure out something...

jgkspsx said:
To the tune of Handel's Hallelujah chorus:

VICtor Ireland
GAIjinworks
VICTOR IRELAND
GAIJINWORKS
ALUNDRA REBORN

I never play my two PSPs anymore, because I enjoy the portable NES thing too much to remove the CFW, and because I don't really have the time to worry about updating the CFW. I guess I'll have to figure out something...

Are you on the most up to date CFW?

Aru

Benedict said:
It's been like that for months, the only option now is to buy prepaid PSN-cards.

I've done that with no problem.
And Alundra works just fine on a PAL-PSN (Swedish)

No, I've been able to purchase games on the US store using my American Express card 2 months ago.

DonMigs85 said:
Haha, I still remember a line from EGM's review of Dragon Force... They said many of the characters spoke like 90's mallrats. I'd love to give it a shot if it ever does make it to PSN.
Dragon Force is probably the best strategy RPG I've ever played. I love it to death and I consider it one of the great sins of uninspired companies that nobody did a decent knock-off of it, ever.

DonMigs85

Segata Sanshiro said:
Dragon Force is probably the best strategy RPG I've ever played. I love it to death and I consider it one of the great sins of uninspired companies that nobody did a decent knock-off of it, ever.
Oops my mistake, that EGM line was actually for Shining Wisdom.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
I3rand0 said:
That's disgusting that Sonic and Dead Space sold more than both of these classics. Obviously not everyone rates these titles (I know I didn't), and hopefully they sold much better than the data that's given.

Ya its just ratings not for sure they were outsold ya never know. Alundra/Arc are much longer games then those other two. In a perfect world people would wait until beating a game to rate them so maybe alotta people haven't chimed in yet. Gotta think positive!

DonMigs85 said:

DF is super fun its like the only strategy game ever I can beat without guides/cheats (though that debug mode is fun to mess with)! Hopefully it can get re-released someday so lotsa people get ta play it! I dunno if the never translated sequel was good but if it was I hope that'd come over to.

Top Bottom