• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alundra and Arc the Lad on PSN 10.12.2010, $5.99 apiece

jgkspsx

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Are you on the most up to date CFW?
No. I'm way, way back. It's my own fault, but I haven't been arsed. I really wanted to get Echochrome/2, LBP, and WHIDTDTML, too. Just been too busy with other things.

jgkspsx said:
No. I'm way, way back. It's my own fault, but I haven't been arsed. I really wanted to get Echochrome/2, LBP, and WHIDTDTML, too. Just been too busy with other things.

Well these work fine on newest CFW, I guess they only thing you would have to check ahead of time is the NES emulator but it should.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Anticitizen One said:
It proves that people have great taste in games

ITT: Buyers Remorse for Sonic 4 and it's fucked up non-Genesis physics.

So Arc works on the latest CFW/M33? Nice. Going to play it on my PSP once I'm done with Persona 4 then.

vireland

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
He never had the rights did he? Alundra 2 wasn't done by working designs.

Wasn't made by Matrix, either. Isn't even an Alundra game. Just cashing in on the first one's success.

vireland

Lindsay said:
Ya its just ratings not for sure they were outsold ya never know. Alundra/Arc are much longer games then those other two. In a perfect world people would wait until beating a game to rate them so maybe alotta people haven't chimed in yet. Gotta think positive!

DF is super fun its like the only strategy game ever I can beat without guides/cheats (though that debug mode is fun to mess with)! Hopefully it can get re-released someday so lotsa people get ta play it! I dunno if the never translated sequel was good but if it was I hope that'd come over to.

Dragon Force II was not good. By then, pieces of the original team had gone (they actually were gone during the end of the first game), and it shows. Smaller sprites, less epic feel, music not so great. Poor effort.

Miroslav

For wathever reason I am not able to buy content for the USA store so i cant buy alundra a game that i was so eager tu buy (dat block-pulling puzzle though...). its odd because im using the same visa that I have for the EU store (my "native" store) but it fails all the time. Maybe they have implemented some kind of chardholders address check, I obviously dont live in Alabama. Any good web to buy usa psn card online? any virtual visa system that works? Thanks in advance.

vireland

Miroslav said:
For wathever reason I am not able to buy content for the USA store so i cant buy alundra a game that i was so eager tu buy (dat block-pulling puzzle though...). its odd because im using the same visa that I have for the EU store (my "native" store) but it fails all the time. Maybe they have implemented some kind of chardholders address check, I obviously dont live in Alabama. Any good web to buy usa psn card online? any virtual visa system that works? Thanks in advance.

For US points cards with international credit cards, someone recommended:
http://www.maximuscards.com/itempage.php?cat=3

You can also buy Alundra download codes on Amazon.com here:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00472NZ9A/?tag=neogaf0e-20

and Arc here:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00472NZ90/?tag=neogaf0e-20

vireland

A little update...

European gamers:
We're still working on and making progress toward getting these released for PSN in Europe (which would be the first time Arc 1-3 has been available there!). Keep your fingers crossed.

North American gamers:
An Arc the Lad trailer link has been added to the original post. Same as this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gx-wgfqZ23g

Arc II and Arc Arena are coming to PSN next week! I'll get a post up here shortly with details in advance of the formal press release...

Arc 2 next week?! Probably one of the best RPGs I have ever played. Some really memorable fights and story scenes in that game. Although some of it is incredibly tragic iirc.

This is some damn wonderful news! Will be buying day 1. :D

I3rand0

vireland said:
A little update...

European gamers:
We're still working on and making progress toward getting these released for PSN in Europe (which would be the first time Arc 1-3 has been available there!). Keep your fingers crossed.

North American gamers:
An Arc the Lad trailer link has been added to the original post. Same as this one:

Arc II and Arc Arena are coming to PSN next week! I'll get a post up here shortly with details in advance of the formal press release...

Sweet. How were sales of Alundra/Arc I?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Cool!

Hey Vic, how did Alundra and Arc the Lad perform in PSN? Hopefully it did well to warrant more PSOne rereleases.

Oh and I recently got the disc you sent me, thank you so much! :D Sadly I misplaced the first disc and currently looking for it, kinda stupid of me. :/ Right now I'm planning on finishing Grandia III.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
vireland said:
A little update...

European gamers:

North American gamers:

Everybody who hasn't played it already and owns a PS3... BUY ARC II!. One of the best RPGs on a system known for its quality RPGs. An absolutely epic masterpiece.

How do you go around getting a complete save, as in with the last summon, for Arc 1 to use in Arc 2? I want everything for Arc 2 but I no longer have the time to go dungeon crawling for 4 hours without saving.

vireland said:
A little update...

European gamers:

North American gamers:

Does this mean the sales have been good for Alundra and Arc the Lad or were these already planned to be released even if Arc and Alundra were a bomb? And are these coming out at the $5.99 price point also?

vireland

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Does this mean the sales have been good for Alundra and Arc the Lad or were these already planned to be released even if Arc and Alundra were a bomb? And are these coming out at the $5.99 price point also?

So far the sales are good enough to do these already-done games, but they're only about half what they'd need to be to go back and localize stuff that got missed the first time. A little disappointing given the pedigree of these first two releases, but we'll continue to promote and try to raise awareness and interest to get it up to where it's feasable. We're not giving up yet on the idea of getting some really cool stuff that was missed the first time out, but we definitely have some more work to do to get sales/awareness up.

vireland

Prime crotch said:
How do you go around getting a complete save, as in with the last summon, for Arc 1 to use in Arc 2? I want everything for Arc 2 but I no longer have the time to go dungeon crawling for 4 hours without saving.

I don't know of a way to get an external "complete" save in there, but if you don't have the relatively small amount of time to do that in Arc I, you REALLY don't have the time for Arc II - it's exponentially larger.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
vireland said:
So far the sales are good enough to do these already-done games, but they're only about half what they'd need to be to go back and localize stuff that got missed the first time. A little disappointing given the pedigree of these first two releases, but we'll continue to promote and try to raise awareness and interest to get it up to where it's feasable. We're not giving up yet on the idea of getting some really cool stuff that was missed the first time out, but we definitely have some more work to do to get sales/awareness up.

Maybe sales would be better if PSN didn't reject credit cards all the time. I want to buy Alundra and ATL, but no dice.

I'm thinking of picking up Arc the Lad. I wished I never would of turned down that deal for PS1, twice. One from the store and one from my friend. :-/

vireland said:
I don't know of a way to get an external "complete" save in there, but if you don't have the relatively small amount of time to do that in Arc I, you REALLY don't have the time for Arc II - it's exponentially larger.
There's something worse in Arc 2 than the 50th floor dungeon?!

Oh btw, try to get the NTSC version up on the PAL store

Dave Long

Banned
I think the inherent problem with these releases is hardly anyone knows about them that's not actively checking the store and/or tuned in on the Internet on the week they release.

I don't know how you fix that short of posting in threads like this one to continue raising the issue that the games are available. Real marketing would cost real money (that you probably wouldn't recoup), and where do you do that for games available on these services?

Anyway, I bought Alundra and have mentioned to others that it's available. Word of mouth is probably your best form of marketing now that the games are there.

vireland said:

Ya, is there anything special you guys have done to get word out? I know if it wasn't for this thread I would have never known, I unfortunately don't check the PSOne classics at all and was surprised by the selection. Obviously you don't want to do some huge marketing blitz due to the sort of niche nature of it but I was just curious. And $5.99 for the next two arc games?

vireland

aidan said:
Maybe sales would be better if PSN didn't reject credit cards all the time. I want to buy Alundra and ATL, but no dice.

Well, I can't really do much about the PSN purchase infrastructure, but if you're having trouble with PSN and your credit card for some reason, Amazon is pretty good about taking credit cards faithfully. You can get download codes from them for PSN games.

Amazon Arc PSN code buy link:

Amazon Alundra code buy link:

vireland

Prime crotch said:
There's something worse in Arc 2 than the 50th floor dungeon?!

Oh btw, try to get the NTSC version up on the PAL store

Mentioned it on a post a few up in this thread. We're still trying to get these up on the European store, too. Slow progress, but progress.

vireland

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Ya, is there anything special you guys have done to get word out? I know if it wasn't for this thread I would have never known, I unfortunately don't check the PSOne classics at all and was surprised by the selection. Obviously you don't want to do some huge marketing blitz due to the sort of niche nature of it but I was just curious. And $5.99 for the next two arc games?

Arc II thread is up here:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=24439009#post24439009

As you would guess, there's almost no budget for these online releases because the margins are so thin, but we're adding some additional web-centric promotion this time to see if we can pump up the volume. I'm giving away download codes for Arc II in the Arc II thread here on NeoGAF, and we're planning promotions to do with other websites as well. Basically this is new-frontier trial and error stuff. We'll find a way to make it work... :)

vireland said:

Sheesh, so probably only ~10k or so, this is why we can't have nice things :(

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
vireland said:
Well, I can't really do much about the PSN purchase infrastructure, but if you're having trouble with PSN and your credit card for some reason, Amazon is pretty good about taking credit cards faithfully. You can get download codes from them for PSN games.

Amazon Arc PSN code buy link:

Amazon Alundra code buy link:

Only available to US residents. Darn. Thanks for the heads up, though.

Oozinator

Banned
aidan said:
Only available to US residents. Darn. Thanks for the heads up, though.
That's why your credit card keeps getting rejected by the US PS Store, because your card is not issued by a US bank. Sony/(or their payment processor) went out of their way to activate card issuer country checks.

I got the latest Gamespite quarterly book (Most Underappreciated Games of All Time) the other day and just thought I'd mention that Alundra is in there at number 27 out of 50. Well worth picking up if you're on the loookout for some gems you might have missed.

Kid Marin

271_2.jpg
272_2.jpg

Something that has been bugging me, why Arc The Lad (JP) and Arc The Lad (NA) have different portraits ?

vireland

Updated the Original post rather than start a new thread. European fans will FINALLY have Arc the Lad I, II, and III available in Europe. The PSN release for EU is scheduled to begin in October of 2011, with each chapter being released successively, and then Alundra.

We're planning to get the EU releases of the remaining WD titles we're working to get out much closer to the US release, but how successful we are at getting that done depends in large part on the EU reception of these first titles, so EU fans, please tell your friends to look for these!

Spwn

Any word on pricing? Would be great to play these games on my PSP - especially Alundra, which I never got around buying when I had the chance.

vireland

Spwn said:
Any word on pricing?

We're not handling that directly (we licensed this to SCEE and are working with them as the publisher for EU PSN), so I'm not sure, but as soon as I know, I will post it. Should have it soon as Arc I is tenatively scheduled for the first week in Oct.

Do you have any plans to release more WD titles or are these the only ones? I made a thread this past week but no one posted in it so I assumed it was dead.

Jigsaw

Banned
alundra was translated to french,german,italian,etc when released in europe,i suppose this will be an english only psn release now of the ntsc version?

vireland

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Do you have any plans to release more WD titles or are these the only ones? I made a thread this past week but no one posted in it so I assumed it was dead.

Still working in it. Vanguard Bandits is the next most-likely release.

vireland

DonMigs85 said:
Any chance on Vay coming out? Does the iOS release even have the WD localization?

iOS was completely new localization. Not nearly as fun (no Gold Vortex, nor any Gas Masks, etc - heh!) and nowhere near as challenging.

vireland

Jigsaw said:
alundra was translated to french,german,italian,etc when released in europe,i suppose this will be an english only psn release now of the ntsc version?

Yes, this is the NTSC version. The European Alundra had Psygnosis involved and the rights were messy. This was the only shot at you playing it instead of your grandchildren.

Holy shit, finally some games on the PSn that dind't got an official PAL release in their time. I always thought that PSN should be a chance to see those titles.

Curiosly enough, we got the Arc The Lad anime and not the games. lol

Top Bottom