• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Am I an asshole for cringing at Iwata's alleged "fans" creating fanart/tribute artwork literally an hour after he passed away?

I still remember when Iwata, may he rest in peace, was announced deceased by the news media and literally, an hour later, I see this cringe bandwagon piece of shit weirdos sharing their "tribute artwork" for Iwata. Just look at this one:

Look at the comments, all clout chasing and mad that the image wasn't being credited to a random lame ass Tumblr user who probably can't even pronounce Iwata's name correctly.

That day made me literally shake, ya'll! I hated it and I wanted to share this thought with you all.

Thank you.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Is this insight why you went back on your promised "'two week break"?

tenor.gif

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
It’s sad because it’s about a man’s life’s work as well as his existence on earth. It means more to some than it does others. It’s like Chester from Linkin Park and Robin Williams. I am actually kinda sad about it. I can’t make a LP poster to express it. It feels like it’s a pop culture death even though these people were human beings. Pop culture in video games is like a giant bubble of shared emotions.

I think of the movie Selena with Jennifer Lopez. The impact her fans felt when she died.

Last edited:
It's their way of dealing with grief? You can just ignore it, knowing what he did and the lasting legacy is proof enough that he lived his life for me.

Grinchy

Banned
I just remember the black ribbons people photoshopped onto their avatars that stuck around forever. Some people were still rocking them like a year later. People don't even mourn their own family members for that long lol

Rran

I liked them, I thought they were great. You have to be pretty cynical to grumble about internet fame based on someone's earnest tribute to a person important to them.

MrS

Banned
I think your behaviour was appropriate. I've always found the idolatry surrounding Iwata to be downright bizarre. People acting like he's a Miyamoto or Steve Jobs when the reality paints a very different picture.

Last edited:

oagboghi2

I still remember when Iwata, may he rest in peace, was announced deceased by the news media and literally, an hour later, I see this cringe bandwagon piece of shit weirdos sharing their "tribute artwork" for Iwata. Just look at this one:

Look at the comments, all clout chasing and mad that the image wasn't being credited to a random lame ass Tumblr user who probably can't even pronounce Iwata's name correctly.

That day made me literally shake, ya'll! I hated it and I wanted to share this thought with you all.

Thank you.

Yes, you are an asshole.

And don't let anyone reassure you, you carrying this grudge for 5 years is far more cringey and pathetic than some nerd trying to draw a nice picture.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
yeah kind of. he wasn't just a suit or an exec, the dude was a dev, he personally had a hand in creating these games. i think having an appreciation for the creatives is good. don't worship him like a god, but yeah. nothing wrong with mourning him on his passing.

MiguelItUp

He was beloved by many, which explains why people reacted so quickly. Some were devastated, which is understandable when someone passes that many looked up to and loved. I don't think there's anything wrong with this, or "cringy" for that matter. But I guess I'm one of the few that feels that way...

I never thought about it like that. I just figured it was just fans paying tribute the best way they knew how. I never read any of the comments people left. At least he wasn't a famous person from the west. People would have paid tribute by dragging his name through the mud like they do with a lot of celebrities after they pass away.

Top Bottom