• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Am I an asshole for cringing at Iwata's alleged "fans" creating fanart/tribute artwork literally an hour after he passed away?

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
I still remember when Iwata, may he rest in peace, was announced deceased by the news media and literally, an hour later, I see this cringe bandwagon piece of shit weirdos sharing their "tribute artwork" for Iwata. Just look at this one:

Look at the comments, all clout chasing and mad that the image wasn't being credited to a random lame ass Tumblr user who probably can't even pronounce Iwata's name correctly.

That day made me literally shake, ya'll! I hated it and I wanted to share this thought with you all.

Thank you.

kwa2e8gd462stm6h0tnd.png

DESTROYA

Everyone greaves differently , I don’t think any harm was meant more of a tribute to his greatness no mater how weird/strange it appears to outsiders.

carlosrox

Banned
It was a bit cringey, especially since I'm sure all of them were done for clout/attention and I hate when artists are so shameless about that kinda stuff. I see it as a lack of integrity trying to cash in essentially over a hot topic.

I'm sure those artists benefited greatly from the exposure they got from that. 🙄

I'm an artist and I was a bit saddened by his passing but you never saw me rushing out to put together some corny tribute for Iwata and exposing myself for clout.

Last edited:

e0n

Yes, calling some random people "cringe bandwagon piece of shit weirdos" for commemorating someone is worse.

SuperGooey

If your first instinct after someone dies is to rush to draw fan art of them hugging cartoon characters (aka, something that is already cringey enough) just so you can be the first to post on twitter, then I think you're an asshole. Abolustely.

The "Genie, you're home" posts/fanarts done right after Robin Williams died are the absolute worst.

Last edited:

tillbot8

Banned
You are not wrong to cringe (I do too) and they are not wrong to do it...No crime, no one getting hurt! But the internet is weird man, like freaky weird!

Falcs

Banned
Just shows the kind of crap EviLore (and all of us) had to deal with before the great tantrum. It's like a parent telling the kids "No, now nobody is going to get ANY ice cream because of your misbehavior!"
I can't imagine seeing a post like this nowadays. The split was the best thing that happened to this place.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
This thread is far more cringe. Imagine being this bothered about it years later because people care more about Iwata than they ever will Hideous Pajamas.

NahaNago

Making the artwork right after he died is cringe and makes It looks like just milking his death for your benefit. Now making the art maybe a year later in memory of the guy would have been better.

Last edited:
Top Bottom