• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazing new PSP mock-up revealed

DrXym

Looks very nice but screams "drop me". Also has two nubs and no UMD. It also looks very cramped and uncomfortable to use unless the screen is meant to be bigger.

I think Sony should actually dump the UMD or move it out into a docking device. There is no need to be hauling around a UMD most of the time.

Davidion

dark10x said:
It could feel OK with a little work. I mean, that design probably is at least as wide as the Nintendo DS and most people are fine with that.

The PSP slider to the DS fliptop? That doesn't sound entirely unfeasible.

It looks mega-slick but I could see that tiny lip at the bottom of the slide-out being annoying. As cool as it looks, it doesn't seem very ergonomic. This is all assuming, of course, that it isn't some fancy fakery.

Dali

It'd be cool if it had a stylus and the screen was touch-sensitive so that it would have all the functionality of an iPhone specifically the more easily navigated web pages. Also they'd be able to take advantage of the touchscreen for game titles. Imagine the PDA version of Bejeweled on the PSP! GoTY confirmed! That really is a nice mock-up with a lot of possibilities, too bad it'll never be a reality... or at least not a reality any time soon.

dark10x said:
It could feel OK with a little work. I mean, that design probably is at least as wide as the Nintendo DS and most people are fine with that.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a29/dark1x/Nintendo_DS_Lite_Ice_Blue_01.jpg
Never actually held a DS before. :lol ... :(

Not sure if it's because of the angle of the pics, but it looks like everything is kind of close together, like your hands would be scrunched together in order to support the system and be able to reach everything. It's probably not as bad as I'm thinking, though.

Odysseus

Banned
i think it's time for the virtual boy to make a comeback. sort of.

no more handhelds until it's just a standard controller and a pair of sunglasses. even better if it's the doc-brown-just-got-back-from-2015 glasses.

viralmarketeer said:
You are the antichrist.
The lack of second analog is why there are no good 3D games on PSP.

THANK YOU.

The design is amazing. That being said, it would never arrive for less than $399.

Dali

Odysseus said:
i think it's time for the virtual boy to make a comeback. sort of.

no more handhelds until it's just a standard controller and a pair of sunglasses. even better if it's the doc-brown-just-got-back-from-2015 glasses.

How will you be able to identify the mugger?

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
_dementia said:

That's the first thing that came to my mind.

If they used the same anti-scratch coating as blu-ray discs for the screen, holy moly.

mollipen

Normally I think fan mock-ups are rather bad and ugly, but hot damn I'd whore myself out to get the money for one of these.

Cardon

That is one sharp looking handheld. But as others have said keeping the screen clean or in good shape could be a problem.

Redd

I don't like it, could grow on me though. Why not just add 2 nubs to the old psp get a better screen, and add an internal hard drive and call it the psp2.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Everyone is freaking out about the screen, but there are phones with designs like this, the iPod touch (and iPhone), and the PSP itself (which has the screen wide open).

KevinCow

Banned
That looks fucking horrible. Or, no, it doesn't look horrible, it actually looks quite nice and is very well done. But it would be extremely impractical. Exposed screen, horrible L and R button placement, the lip at the bottom would eat into your hands.

Clamshell is the best way to go, and I don't get why Sony didn't take the opportunity to make the PSP-2000 clamshell. You get a protected screen and far more space to put the buttons and screen so you don't have cram everything together and wind up with, well, the current PSP.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
KevinCow said:
That looks fucking horrible. Or, no, it doesn't look horrible, it actually looks quite nice and is very well done. But it would be extremely impractical. Exposed screen, horrible L and R button placement, the lip at the bottom would eat into your hands.

Clamshell is the best way to go, and I don't get why Sony didn't take the opportunity to make the PSP-2000 clamshell. You get a protected screen and far more space to put the buttons and screen so you don't have cram everything together and wind up with, well, the current PSP.

PSP-3000 will likely be clamshell so it can have a smaller form factor.

If not, you can bet PSP2 will be clamshell design.

Eh, how is this screen any more susceptible to being scratched than the current screen? I will say that while being sexy, it doesn't look like it would be comfortable for long play sessions, which is pretty much my main gripe with handheld systems right now. Someone fix this.

Also, why can't someone make an analog stick like the one on the Neo Geo Pocket? Yes, that stick was digital, but it could have just as easily been analong. There just wasn't a need for analog in 8-bit games.

viralmarketeer said:
You are the antichrist.
The lack of second analog is why there are no good 3D games on PSP.
I guess. Well, there were no good 3D games on the Dreamcast either then. Nor N64.

If you're referring to camera controls, cameras are most often defined by an algorithm, NOT a second analog stick.

Guy Legend said:
Why is that? As we see Sony continue to connect the PS3 to PSP function, I could see the need for another analog stick. Imagine when Sony begins to offer PS2 games on the PSN network. If you could play those PS2 games on your PSP as well, it would be quite the impressive feature and one that would be greatly benefit from another analog stick. A big stumbling block to that of course would be the current userbase of PSP's....

Regardless, these designs look hot.

PS2 games is not a good reason to alter the PSP. It's fine how it is.

camineet

Banned
that screen is gonna be driven by Mini or Micro CELL and an Nvidia eDRAM GPU :D

holy fuck :D

I really wish we learn more about the real PSP2 soon

pn18

Banned
I think it looks much better if the screen is 16:9 and not 4:3...
120jqdv.jpg

Horrible design. As usual the people doing the mock-ups can't understand what it will actually feel like holding said device in your hands, trying to enjoy playing a game. That design is way too big and bulky.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
camineet said:
that screen is gonna be driven by Mini or Micro CELL and an Nvidia eDRAM GPU :D

holy fuck :D

I really wish we learn more about the real PSP2 soon

That isn't happening anytime soon, especially now that sony found a market they can call their own.

KevinCow

Banned
Hcoregamer00 said:
PSP-3000 will likely be clamshell so it can have a smaller form factor.

If not, you can bet PSP2 will be clamshell design.
Maybe. But then, it's Sony. I've been expecting them to fix the Dual Shock since the PS1.

cortland_andrus said:
Horrible design. As usual the people doing the mock-ups can't understand what it will actually feel like holding said device in your hands, trying to enjoy playing a game. That design is way too big and bulky.

They're just artists. You need a UI engineer to take that concept and rework it. I'm sure Sony already has a thousand mock-ups for PSP redesigns sitting in a lab in Tokyo.

Hero

As a video player it looks hot, but I'd have to hold it and test out the buttons and stuff before I declare it to be a good handheld device. I honestly expect Sony to go to a clamshell design for PSP2.

Top Bottom