• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazing new PSP mock-up revealed

Dibbz said:
Oh man wtf are you going on about. Another analogue stick is better that just one. It's not like they've replaced another button for the damn thing.

They give us a second stick and devs have the shoulder buttons to play with. More controls for us is a good thing!
because it's not feasible. For consoles, console owners can just buy a new controller. For handhelds, you will have to purchase a new unit. And I just tire of kids going on about how it *needs* one.

Dibbz

The Abominable Snowman said:
because it's not feasible. For consoles, console owners can just buy a new controller. For handhelds, you will have to purchase a new unit. And I just tire of kids going on about how it *needs* one.
Ahhhh well you see, I'm assuming the thing is the PSP 2.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you're under the impression this would be an update to the original PSP ala PSP slim.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
WOW. Looks amazing!

Onemic

Looks amazing, but is this even an official mockup?

And to all those saying they don't want a dual analog configuration for the psp, what would really be the disadvantages of having it?

Darkman M

Since we are on the subject of Psp's whats the best place for homebrew, mods and hacks for the psp? I bought mine over a year ago and never really touched it and now i want to get into the psp scene now that i have a ps3 thanks.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
:lol

It doesn't even look remotely useful, practical, or comfortable.
Additionally, it looks like it'd be pretty fragile.

And finally, the design is downright hideous. Especially from the sides.

Edit - * I mean as a game player. I suppose that would suffice for a portable media player. Still janky as fuck though.

the screen is great but i dont think the d pads and the analog stick is going to work.

i believe the next psp is going to use touch screen as a control scheme.

spwolf

it looks amazing even if not usable - if they built it like this, it would sell trillion of course.

but yeah, from button position to weight balancing once screen is out, it is hard to please with designs like this.

Shogmaster said:
That's your whole complaint about comfort? Mine would be the ridiculous shoulder buttons placements and the very painful looking ridge where the base of your thumbs would rest but I guess I'm a nutjob concerned with stupid shit like ergonomics...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v105/Shogmaster/WTFPSP.jpg
That looks like it would really hurt and be uncomfortable to use. I don't believe this render is the true direction of the psp, just somebodies wishful thinking.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
And the myth about 'exposed' screens being fragile lives on :lol.

Decent design overall. I like how they handled the slideaway controls with a raised lip on the bottom screen edge. Round out a few of the edges, just some minor rework and that'll be perfect candidate for the next PSP iteration.

I_D

That looks badass.

They'd have to move the analog nubs down just a tad, cause they're uncomfortably close, but then it'd be amazing.

spwolf said:
it looks amazing even if not usable - if they built it like this, it would sell trillion of course.

but yeah, from button position to weight balancing once screen is out, it is hard to please with designs like this.
The screen itself is lighter than electronics in the lower part, I can see that design working well.

Jea Song

Did the right thing
Hmm..If they somehow could round off the bottom so it wouldn't hurt, make it a touch screen, actually be smaller in person, and do something about those shoulder buttons, i think its overall a great design. Oh, and make it a cell phone too.

Odrion

Banned
Make that screen a touchscreen and remove the UMD utility in place of digital downloading. Handhelds should not use a CD format, and allowing the user to have a multitude of bootable games without reaching in a bag would be beautiful.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Die Squirrel Die said:
Only if we're on an MS lifecycle.

Japan - Dec 04
USA - Mar 05
Europe - Sep 05

Just over 3 years from its first release.
I'm too antsy.

Here's another question. Will PSP2 look better than Wii games?

Core407

Banned
Shogmaster said:
That's your whole complaint about comfort? Mine would be the ridiculous shoulder buttons placements and the very painful looking ridge where the base of your thumbs would rest but I guess I'm a nutjob concerned with stupid shit like ergonomics...

WTFPSP.jpg

Like I said, have the controls slide out horizontally - one left and one right.

Xeke said:
Why do people like sliding things...They are just going to break.

My PPC-6700 has a sliding mechanism exactly like this, and is rock solid after HEAVY daily use for over a year, and it's no stretch to say I use that thing far more than any of you would ever use a PSP.

Dibbz said:
Ahhhh well you see, I'm assuming the thing is the PSP 2.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you're under the impression this would be an update to the original PSP ala PSP slim.
I'm under the impression that some bored person who knows how to create 3D models made this. Nothing even remotely linked to Sony.

J-Rzez

I would buy this in a heartbeat. That's downright sophisticated looking. It would probably have to be thicker to support proper shoulder buttons, but man, that is one sleek-sexy piece of tech. Though, i wouldn't be surprised to see it similar to that, just in a clam-shell design.

Make it happen Sony. I can see them making that though actually, it's very elegant to me like their other products, be it PS3/PSP, or MP3 players, etc.

teiresias

I really like that form factor actually. I'm imagining the screen to be a touch screen so that it can be utilized for PDA functions and other functions when closed and the "gamepad" isn't accessible. Hell, in the closed position perhaps there could be completely touch-based games that don't utilize the pad at all. Want some traditional gaming goodness or PS3 remote play? Just unfold it and there's your gamepad for games that are built around a traditional control scheme.

Make it a little sleeker and put a phone in there and I'd ditch my iPhone . . . maybe.

KTallguy

Banned
Shogmaster said:

Just quoting this for truth.

People who think you could actually play a game on this are crazy. You'd get your finger caught on the screen where the D-pad is.

And the more shit slides around, the more shit tends to break.

Honestly the PSP right now is nearly perfect, it just needs to be a touch screen and it needs some kind of cover.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, excellent job photoshopping/whatever to make this... but what a supremely horrible design! :lol

It's ugly too, sure it's shiny and two nubs are a must... but honestly, it looks like it was designed in 1997.

*shutters*

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
KTallguy said:
People who think you could actually play a game on this are crazy.
Don't make a mountain out of a molehill. There's some minor adjustments that need to be made, but nothing that invalidates the concept.

Synless

KTallguy said:

People who think you could actually play a game on this are crazy. You'd get your finger caught on the screen where the D-pad is.

Honestly the PSP right now is nearly perfect, it just needs to be a touch screen and it needs some kind of cover.
I agree with everything except the touch screen, fucking thing almost ruined zelda for me on the DS.

KTallguy

Banned
Synless said:
I agree with everything except the touch screen, fucking thing almost ruined zelda for me on the DS.

I liked Zelda on the DS a lot actually!

But I think a full touch screen plus PSP controls would be awesome. I don't think another analog is necessary either.

Odrion

Banned
FUCK ANY SORT OF CLAMSHELL IDEA, ITS SUPPOSE TO BE LIKE AN iPHONE YOU TARDS.

arguing about imaginary handhelds itt

Core407

Banned
KTallguy said:

All it is is a slider phone - it might work well as a PMP of sorts. Really depends on the weight at end of it.

anycall_5200.jpg

Samsung F520 in China.

YYZ

Is it possible to have some anti-scratch thing on the LCD? Is there a good technology for that yet?

also I don't think the screen is all the way up in those mockups, why would the buttons be half-covered?

mollipen

KevinCow said:
amshell is the best way to go, and I don't get why Sony didn't take the opportunity to make the PSP-2000 clamshell. You get a protected screen and far more space to put the buttons and screen so you don't have cram everything together and wind up with, well, the current PSP.

The only way I would accept a future PSP in clamshell form would be if the screen could raise up, rotate, and then be put back down flat again, so that the unit has screen exposed out without keeping it open. No way would I want to sit there holding a clamshell device open to watch a movie, or do much of anything except play games. (Unless I'm opening it up and then sitting it down on a flat surface.)

I'd much rather have a slider-type device. Really, if you take care of your stuff, it isn't going to get scratched up that much. The current PSP has no protection for the screen, and mine is still just fine.

Top Bottom