• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon.ca: THESE are real Wii U boxes

Pixel_boy

Banned
0uQAA.jpg

A little worry they no + Wii mote at the bottom Nintendoland make use of them so, not too worry maybe if we see the back and still nowhere

Edit Oh wait on side I see a Wii Nunchuk!

edit 2 :( yeah had my hope up

There has to be a marketing reason, it's just too weird, even for Nintendo. :p

I imagine it's to separate the blue from any blue on the box art, so sky doesn't blend in and make the crescent invisible.

They had to pick some colour for it, and they picked yellow because why not? It looks nice with blue and probably stands out on a shelf.

If these are the box designs, I approve.

Gold line doesn't bother me, really not even sure what the big deal is?

Wii U's disc slot glows golden confirmed?

DVD box template, it seems.

Do we know what type of disc format Wii U is using? I seem to remember hearing something that implied Blu-ray-ish disc sizes, and figured it'd be a custom variant of that like Nintendo did for DVDs and the Wii.

Figured we'd start getting smaller, Blu-ray sized cases as well. Thicker than Blu-ray, like the ps3's, because of manuals and other promotional contents and stuff, but shorter than DVD cases.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Thoughts.

1. Wow. That was not what I was expecting.
2. But at least there's no way anyone will confuse these for Wii games - which was probably the point.
3. I don't actually mind the yellow.

Ryoku

DVD box template, it seems.

Do we know what type of disc format Wii U is using? I seem to remember hearing something that implied Blu-ray-ish disc sizes, and figured it'd be a custom variant of that like Nintendo did for DVDs and the Wii.

Figured we'd start getting smaller, Blu-ray sized cases as well. Thicker than Blu-ray, like the ps3's, because of manuals and other promotional contents and stuff, but shorter than DVD cases.

They're 25GB (single-layer, 50GB dual-layer) Nintendo propietary optical discs. The drive is going to be based on blu-ray technology, there's really no questioning it, as Nintendo does this all the time to avoid royalty fees. Wii and Gamecube both use a DVD drive, but can't play actual DVDs (on Wii, you can if you hack it). I assume you'll be able to play blu-ray movies on Wii U if you hack it, assuming it's a blu-ray drive, which is probably the case.

They're 25GB (single-layer, 50GB dual-layer) Nintendo propietary optical discs. The drive is going to be based on blu-ray technology, there's really no questioning it, as Nintendo does this all the time to avoid royalty fees. Wii and Gamecube both use a DVD drive, but can't play actual DVDs (on Wii, you can if you hack it). I assume you'll be able to play blu-ray movies on Wii U if you hack it, assuming it's a blu-ray drive, which is probably the case.

Yeah, that's what I figured. Odd that they're not changing the cases, though. I imagine Microsoft will for their next console.

Ryoku

Yeah, that's what I figured. Odd that they're not changing the cases, though. I imagine Microsoft will for their next console.

Probably because blu-ray cases are proprietary for the blu-ray standard discs, which Wii U game discs are not. It's probably due to legal issues.

Probably because Blu-ray cases are proprietary for the Blu-ray standard discs, which Wii U game discs are not.

It's just a box size. I mean, they used DVD cases for Wii with no problem, and pretty much used DVD cases (in size) for GameCube. I can't think of anything else aside from movies and games on DVDs that used such boxes. Figured they'd go with what will be the new norm for this as well.

I mean, it doesn't really matter either way, but I always notice and wonder about trivial things like this.

Ryoku

It's just a box size. I mean, they used DVD cases for Wii with no problem, and pretty much used DVD cases (in size) for GameCube. I can't think of anything else aside from movies and games on DVDs that used such boxes. Figured they'd go with what will be the new norm for this as well.

I mean, it doesn't really matter either way, but I always notice and wonder about trivial things like this.

Yeah, I guess your'e right. We'll see how this turns out. From what we have now, we can tell Wii U's games' presence will not be unnoticed.

Its more intrusive.
Blue, yellow and white wont work as well with every piece of boxart.

Why?
I get that part as I dont understand the yellow myself. I wouldnt say that makes it a step back though. Nintendo is really tryna steer clear of the 3DS situation. While this is probably not the perfect solution its better than it and is not a step back imo.

I approve, then again box goes to the shelf quickly anyway. Don't see the big deal with yellow. It's the complementary colour to blue - the natural choice.

I would have much preferred if they had used cobalt blue similar to their Fire Emblem 3DS:

cobalt-3ds.jpg

I think silver or orange would have been a better choice than yellow.

Top Bottom