• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon DD Sales Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aselith

Got one for $10 off after buying Final Fantasy XIII-2.

Actually, you should have 2 $10 codes. One was contained in the email with the Omega boss battle for some reason, you have to scroll down through the email to see it so it's very easy to miss. And they are CODES that you put in at checkout. I used them to buy a DVD so they definitely work on Amazon.

That's store credit that should automatically be applied to your account. Depending on if the purchase is eligible, you should just see the discount when you're in checkout.

Not in this case. They are promotional codes that you put in at checkout, this is probably because they can be applied to anything on Amazon rather than just games from what I read in the emails I got about them.

Edit: I checked the email I got about it and, from what I can tell, that's a no go on applying it to downloads. Looks like it applies to physical stuff only per:

It is our pleasure to let you know that you have earned a $10 credit toward the purchase of items shipped and sold by Amazon.com until 1/31/2013 (certain exclusions apply, including Kindle books, MP3s, and video rentals and downloads).

Yasae

Banned
Actually, you should have 2 $10 codes. One was contained in the email with the Omega boss battle for some reason, you have to scroll down through the email to see it so it's very easy to miss. And they are CODES that you put in at checkout. I used them to buy a DVD so they definitely work on Amazon.
..........I see you're correct. There are indeed two codes.

But here's the kicker: I tried to use a code on a a game download anyway (before this discussion), and it was used up, without applying the discount of course. A code should never be used up unless it is actually applied, regardless of customer folly (like with me lol). So now I'm stuck with this one extra code, then, and another I didn't get the discount for and can't use. I emailed this problem to customer service and they didn't help, only described that a code can only be used once.

EDIT: Actually I take that back. Both promo credits are working fine.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Kinda lame that Amazon cut off the deals already 2hrs before 12AM PST.

Was going to pick up some last minute downloads. I guess it is also my fault for lagging it :(

Back up as of 10:39PM PST.

Guess my whining worked ;p

Kinda lame that Amazon cut off the deals already 2hrs before 12AM PST.

Was going to pick up some last minute downloads. I guess it is also my fault for lagging it :(

Back up as of 10:39PM PST.

Guess my whining worked ;p

I saw reports of this from customers last night and freaked out...I have no idea what happened, and sorry it took me so long to respond...I was busy calling everyone on the planet to get the products back up :)...people's pagers went off.

Glad you were able to make your last minute purchases!

With the end of the "Farewell to February" sale, we now need a "Greetings to March" sale.

Haha, we're going to have some fun sales coming up, stay tuned.

Cheers,
Tony

I saw reports of this from customers last night and freaked out...I have no idea what happened, and sorry it took me so long to respond...I was busy calling everyone on the planet to get the products back up :)...people's pagers went off.

Glad you were able to make your last minute purchases!

Haha, we're going to have some fun sales coming up, stay tuned.

Cheers,
Tony

Hope to see that The Saboteur deal my friend :D

Sober

I don't think anyone noticed but I am pretty curious about BF3. Hopefully some upcoming deals?

Anyways, I think since maybe last week I was browsing the section, I saw BF3 sitting at 30$ (so basically 50% off) and slowly it's been raising back to regular price (it was 45$ just the other day, it's just a bit over 50$ now). Do prices just fluctuate like that even for DD on amazon?

vazel

Banned
Is Sonic Generations a new deal or a a "deal" at all? (it costs 10$ right now)

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005XOJ6NK/?tag=neogaf0e-20
According to tracktor it was $30 until recently.

R52Q9.jpg

The_End

Bahhh, I just traded DOTA2 for a copy of Sonic Generations & now it's a $10 game? I wasn't expecting SG to remain a $30 game forever, but I thought I'd at least get a couple of weeks worth of feeling like I got a good deal. Instead, I got 72 hours of feeling good about the deal.

Oh well, I 'll just have to keep reminding myself that I got DOTA2 for free. So I guess I just traded a free game for a $10 instead of a $30 game.

FYI posted this on CAG. We're pricematching Steam right now...because that's what we do.

You'll be better off waiting a couple of weeks on Sonic Gen though, we'll have it for a better price.

Cheers,
Tony

Did anyone else preload Mass Effect 3? When I run the installer it fails. Is that because it won't install until launch day or is there any issue? I'd rather not download the file again if I don't have to. This is the first time I've preloaded an Origin game through Amazon Download.

alf717

FYI posted this on CAG. We're pricematching Steam right now...because that's what we do.

You'll be better off waiting a couple of weeks on Sonic Gen though, we'll have it for a better price.

Cheers,
Tony

Picked it up at this price during the holidays. The game is really fun but it beats up my current graphics card. Wonder if a Sega deal coming?

Just spotted Saints Row 2 for only $3.75.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004VNHVF4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

cicero

In case people didn't see this in the STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread.

Just an FYI for those of you looking at Payday. We (Amazon) are dropping the price from $9.99 to $7.49. So those of you who want to save $2.50 can head over and grab it (we distribute a Steam key with your purchase).

Pricing should go into effect in 20 minutes or so.
Cheers,
Tony

Hopefully Nelo Ice is around soon to update the OP with some of this recent sale/price-matching info.

Sonic Generations has a terrible final boss but overall it's actually a good Sonic game. Definitely worth $10 - I bought it right when it came out for $30 and had a grand time.

Seventh

Does anyone know how Amazon determines which games they offer for download?

I have some credit with them that I'd like to use, but there's a few games I want that aren't available. For example, Amazon only sells the retail version of Skyrim and Batman Arkham City, even though downloadable versions are available elsewhere. Not that there's anything wrong with the retail version, I just prefer the DD versions.

Does anyone know how Amazon determines which games they offer for download?

I have some credit with them that I'd like to use, but there's a few games I want that aren't available. For example, Amazon only sells the retail version of Skyrim and Batman Arkham City, even though downloadable versions are available elsewhere. Not that there's anything wrong with the retail version, I just prefer the DD versions.

Our selection offering on AAA titles is largely determined by whether or not we have an agreement with the publisher in question to distribute their games. In the case of Skyrim and Batman, this is still a work in progress.

Cheers,
Tony

Omg I've been waiting for a good deal on Divinity DKS for a while. 6 bucks is unbeeelievable. Amazon yet again bends Steam over the table and goes to town. And it's DRM free...holy mother of god

85% off like omfg~~i sound like a teenage school girl

Scythian

Does the Amazon Downloader work properly if I'm outside the United States? I'd buy it if it was Steam or Origin-redeemable.

Just to confirm, none of these will register on Steam, right?

Edit: Oh it looks like Game of Thrones does. No mention of Steam for the other two on Amazon's page for each game. So never mind, I guess.

This is accurate, Game of Thrones activates on Steam, not sure what the DRM for Cities XL is and Divinity II is DRM free.

To give you some insight, there is a very vocal segment of the PC gaming community who make it clear that they believe that going DRM free on games will benefit the publisher (meaning they will get more sales) because customers will purchase more from a company who listens to their customers and removes DRM.

We're giving that segment an opportunity to prove that this is actually the case. A couple of weeks ago we tested promoting Risen at its lowest price ever, DRM free, and now we're doing the same with Divinity II. Next week we'll have another test.

All of these games have high Amazon star ratings, and metacritic reviews (82 for Divinity, 77 for Risen). At the end of the promotions we'll look back and analyze whether or not it makes sense to work with our publishers to try and get DRM free versions, or if the vocal segment is more of a non-purchasing vocal minority.

Cheers,
Tony

cicero

To give you some insight, there is a very vocal segment of the PC gaming community who make it clear that they believe that going DRM free on games will benefit the publisher (meaning they will get more sales) because customers will purchase more from a company who listens to their customers and removes DRM.

We're giving that segment an opportunity to prove that this is actually the case. A couple of weeks ago we tested promoting Risen at its lowest price ever, DRM free, and now we're doing the same with Divinity II. Next week we'll have another test.

All of these games have high Amazon star ratings, and metacritic reviews (82 for Divinity, 77 for Risen). At the end of the promotions we'll look back and analyze whether or not it makes sense to work with our publishers to try and get DRM free versions, or if the vocal segment is more of a non-purchasing vocal minority.

Cheers,
Tony
Wow... Thanks for the heads up. I love that you guys are taking this DRM free position seriously, as a collective whole I sure hope we as gamers are as well. As for me, I bought Risen from Amazon, and now I am off to buy Divinity II. :D

I would suggest that you guys might want to test the waters with these 85% off sales on major titles for a few more months though, just in case.

scitek

For the record, I purchased Risen without having any prior interest in the game purely because you were offering it DRM-free. Knowing how restrictive its DRM normally is, I never would have bought it otherwise.

DaBuddaDa

That is not going to give very useful data as the games are old and their sales potential is quite low at this point; the sample size will probably be too low. If you really want to find out you need to do this day 1 with a new release.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
This is accurate, Game of Thrones activates on Steam, not sure what the DRM for Cities XL is and Divinity II is DRM free.

Cheers,
Tony

I might pick up Divinity II, but when are we going to get another sale for Risen :) Sadly missed out last time.

That is not going to give very useful data as the games are old and their sales potential is quite low at this point; the sample size will probably be too low. If you really want to find out you need to do this day 1 with a new release.

We picked and have picked titles with enough recent sales velocity and participation in previous sales events with DRM to give us statistically significant results :).

Cheers,
Tony

cicero

I think that part of the issue would have to be the visibility of the initial release being DRM free or any eventual DRM removal. If most people aren't even seeing the change unless they check for weekly deals regularly, how would they know? Might be nice to have some kind of filter or list of Game Downloads without DRM to start with, like the "Bestsellers" or "Movers and Shakers" lists, or a specific sub-section of the "Core Game Downloads" store.

Meier

Cities XL is supposed to be a pretty shitty series, right? I spent about 4-5 hours redownloading a ton of custom-made stuff for SC4 last night and got it running (I know some folks have had issues with it on the 64-bit Windows 7 but it's working fine for me at least early on) but I wouldn't mind giving Cities XL a go at $10 if it has any redeeming qualities outside of its graphics..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom