• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon launches Anime Strike (paid VOD channel on top of prime)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Buying, if only for the eventual airing for Dive!!
tumblr_oi8m2kQJBb1vueyd5o1_540.jpg

So this is where the Noitamina stuff will live? Probably going to do it, then. Haven't really looked to see how it differs from Crunchyroll, though. Do they have any other exclusives?

So this is where the Noitamina stuff will live? Probably going to do it, then. Haven't really looked to see how it differs from Crunchyroll, though. Do they have any other exclusives?

They have a couple other random exclusives: Vivid Strike, Chi's Sweet Adventure, Onihei, and a Crayon Shin-chan Spinoff. The rest of their selection is whatever they could cobble together from Sentai and whatever else they had lying around. You can see the whole list here.

Gigglepop

Banned
Good way to encourage people to pirate amazon. I'm not gonna pay more money for 1 series. I was paying for both funimation and CR and that was bad enough.

tolkir

I watched first episode of Onihei. Looks very good.
Seinen samurai anime always is a win-win.

Edit: Btw, free in Spain with Amazon prime and only a few series.

They have a couple other random exclusives: Vivid Strike, Chi's Sweet Adventure, Onihei, and a Crayon Shin-chan Spinoff. The rest of their selection is whatever they could cobble together from Sentai and whatever else they had lying around. You can see the whole list here.
Thanks, gross. I'm only interested in the Noitamina stuff. I understand people being angry considering Battery and Kabaneri were Prime Video... Definitely want to watch The Great Passage, so a quick binge in the free period is, at least, in order. Really thought the selection would be better for the vig.
The holy trinity is still

VRV (Crunchy and Funi for $10)
Hulu (A lot of older anime + modern TV Shows)
Netflix (Self explanatory and has their own licensed anime included with the price)
Didn't realize VRV also has Funi. How much is a yearly subscription? Would consider moving over from just CR to have instant, on-demand access to Funi's entire back catalog...

I can safely say this is one of the first decisions by Amazon I can't defend. Does this mean they'll stealth remove current Anime content in prime and put it behind this pay wall? Why only the US while other locations get to keep it?

Seems like a fuck up without more of a conversation. Are they losing more money that they're gaining? I mean prime is likely losing money considering how much shit they have and they're trying to gain some money back. But there's no way to tell.

Gigglepop

Banned
Didn't realize VRV also has Funi. How much is a yearly subscription? Would consider moving over from just CR to have instant, on-demand access to Funi's entire back catalog...

Browsing the site all I can find a price for is a $9.99 a month 8 channel pack.

If they did off yearly it would probably be like $90. I pay $60 a year for CR.

(Slippery slope time, skip this part as I'm probably off base). My memory of things is poor but didn't the licensed anime scene suffer a huge blow about a decade ago when the strategy of license nearly everything and charge high prices crashed and burned taking some companies with it namely due to the fact people didn't have to pay $20 for 3 episodes of a mediocre show anymore, they could find a fansub. Could this not have the same effect? Although it's unlikely amazon would crash and burn over anime due to having a diverse portfolio.

Anyway, the last sentence of the article in the OP says it all really "Amazon plans to launch additional branded streaming services in the coming months.". Am I understanding that correctly because I am thinking Amazon wants to nickel and dime the amazon prime service?

Why are they trying to do this? Traditionally subscription services are under utilized and a great bread and butter for business, could it Amazon prime is over used?

It's not just that they want an extra 5 bucks a month for anime they took off of netflix and cruchy roll, but their selection is so small that it repeats on it's own page.
I take it the two Clannad are series and OAV or something like that so technically different. It's just they were not highlighted in the image.

Zapages

yeah no... I refuse to pay more for the stuff that is free. I am a Prime member.

Also anime fans are really resourceful.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Saw this pop up and thought, nice! Now I can easily find anime on Amazon prime video. Then saw they want $5 a month on top of my prime sub, fuck you.

I want to watch great passage, been out for a while if you look for it but since I pay for shit (Netflix, Hulu, prime, cr, funi) I don't go that route. Guess I know my options now for great passage and scum wish.

Browsing the site all I can find a price for is a $9.99 a month 8 channel pack.

If they did off yearly it would probably be like $90. I pay $60 a year for CR.
Same. Isn't all of Funi's subbed content moving to CR anyway at some point? I don't care about their dubs, so now I'm just questioning everything. While having access to their library would be cool, I'm not sure if it's $120 a year cool.

Any early word on Scum's Wish? Is it any good? I know it's based on a manga, but I like to try out all the Noitamina shows each season. Or at least I did...

Gigglepop

Banned
Same. Isn't all of Funi's subbed content moving to CR anyway at some point? I don't care about their dubs, so now I'm just questioning everything. While having access to their library would be cool, I'm not sure if it's $120 a year cool.

Any early word on Scum's Wish? Is it any good? I know it's based on a manga, but I like to try out all the Noitamina shows each season. Or at least I did...

I'm not sure the whole back catalog is moving.

It really is mindboggling how much of a blatant scumbag move this is. It really is just an attempt to extort US customers... also a fairly dumb one that I don't think will work, given how readily anime fans will turn to piracy.

Yeah, anime fans already tend to pirate just because the show isn't on their preferred streaming service. Amazon's main advantage was that their stuff was tied to a subscription that a lot of people had for other reasons, why piss that away like this?

Yes, Crunchyroll has gradually been adding titles from Funi's back catalog, and I expect they will continue to do so.

I'm not sure the whole back catalog is moving.

Yes, Crunchyroll has gradually been adding titles from Funi's back catalog, and I expect they will continue to do so.
I guess we don't really know for sure at this point. I still buy a ton of physical media, so I was mostly looking for access to stuff I'm getting backed up on that's on Toonami. One Piece, HxH, DBZ Kai, etc. The Adult Swim site is kind of a mess when trying to watch episodes you've missed on TV.

(Slippery slope time, skip this part as I'm probably off base). My memory of things is poor but didn't the licensed anime scene suffer a huge blow about a decade ago when the strategy of license nearly everything and charge high prices crashed and burned taking some companies with it namely due to the fact people didn't have to pay $20 for 3 episodes of a mediocre show anymore, they could find a fansub. Could this not have the same effect? Although it's unlikely amazon would crash and burn over anime due to having a diverse portfolio.

Anyway, the last sentence of the article in the OP says it all really "Amazon plans to launch additional branded streaming services in the coming months.". Am I understanding that correctly because I am thinking Amazon wants to nickel and dime the amazon prime service?

Why are they trying to do this? Traditionally subscription services are under utilized and a great bread and butter for business, could it Amazon prime is over used?

I take it the two Clannad are series and OAV or something like that so technically different. It's just they were not highlighted in the image.
It might be their dubbed and subbed versions, but its still a small list for the same titles to show up so often.

Everyone in this thread is going to binge The Great Passage and cancel. Hah. Hopefully enough people do it that they get the message...

Galang

Banned
How stupid is this? Why wouldn't they just include it in their regular subscription service?.... lol. I'm not paying for this on top of another sub for a barebones selection. Nobody is going to subscribe to anything outside FUNI/CR for anime now that you can buy them together. If it was included with prime then they would have a shot but lol... not like this

DOWN

Banned
Amazon prime video is already offered as a paid monthly service. This isn't like paying extra for HBO or Starz through Amazon Video. These are shows Amazon owns the exclusive worldwide streaming rights to and they want to charge extra to let their paying customers watch.
Eh that depends how you spin it. This is not so different from those add on subscriptions. Amazon bought the rights but specifically for their separate content subscription. Amazon shelled out extra money for this stuff that not all their customers care about so they are trying to run it like an extra subscription 'channel'

TalonJH

I would cancel CR if this has Similcast. Edit: nvm, doesn't seem worth it.

Has anyone been using the new bundle service with CR and Fun? Should I switch to that.

Gigglepop

Banned
I would cancel CR if this has Similcast.

Has anyone been using the new bundle service with CR and Fun? Should I switch to that.

If all you want are simulcasts then you don't want VRV. All funi does now is dubs so your paying more(~$30 a year) for that you don't want.

styl3s

The holy trinity is still

VRV (Crunchy and Funi for $10)
Hulu (A lot of older anime + modern TV Shows)
Netflix (Self explanatory and has their own licensed anime included with the price)
Do you get the full VOD + simulcast on VRV with Crunchy/Funi? I don't know much about it other then they refer to it as home of your favorite channels.

Cause $10 for all of Crunchy+Funi is a hell of a deal.

TalonJH

If all you want are simulcasts then you don't want VRV. All funi does now is dubs so your paying more(~$30 a year) for that you don't want.

I don't really care about dubs either way. Is there no content difference now that they are working together?

I pretty much just follow the current seasons honestly but wouldn't be opposed to going back to some older things that I may have missed.

Meier

I was curious about how good the lineup was. Sounds like folks are pretty underwhelmed by it.. no way I'll ever sub to Crunchyroll but this at least had me interested since $5 is not bad. Oh well, no big deal if it's crap as I have watched about 5 shows in the past decade.

I was curious about how good the lineup was. Sounds like folks are pretty underwhelmed by it.. no way I'll ever sub to Crunchyroll but this at least had me interested since $5 is not bad. Oh well, no big deal if it's crap as I have watched about 5 shows in the past decade.
wont sub to crunchyroll but considering a service that has like 100 times less anime than crunchyroll for the same price?

Phu

Banned
I feel like with anime viewers especially, there is a history of finding alternative means to watching difficult/obnoxious to obtain shows. Does Amazon know this?

Prime has so many little services all over it and I don't use 'em all [like music and pantry] I'm not gonna pay extra for the one that may interest me.

Somnid

It's not a secret Prime is a loss-leader, it's effectively an $8.33 monthly subscription which that does everything, including a lot of those things that other $10 a month subs do. I think they do want to branch out, but even where they add to Prime it's going to be mainstream things. It makes no sense to license a bunch of niche anime for Prime because that doesn't get you new subscribers (which is the purpose of it), however it would make sense to go after specific niches who are willing to pay for specific services (Amazon Fresh) or open up a larger scale service (Kindle Unlimited, Music Unlimited). Like I noted before this is a just launched service so the fact that it's barebones is typical, the question is if they stick with it and how do they grow it. The obvious thing is to license more anime and probably produce their own. But it wouldn't shock me if they do more bundled services either, like toss in some kindle manga or a monthly Japanophile loot crate or maybe they create some sort of Prime Video Premium that comes with this and extra channels on top. It's way to early to tell.

sonicmj1

If you want anime, Crunchyroll will give you way more for the same price. If you only need a little bit of anime, Netflix and Hulu have solid selections on top of their wealth of Western shows, and won't charge you extra.

I have no idea who this service is for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom