• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD ryzen dominates Intel at Amazon best selling cpus

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I mean... I've got 3700x+x570 but if I knew the pc would be booting 30 seconds and I would need 200usd motherboard for it to work correctly/properly, I don't know if I would bother.
The b450 from msi I've bought with 3700x only booted the cpu once in 5-10 times(common issue as I learned later). X570 from gigabyte works great but it has the stupid fan and was 200usd. At least gigabyte is rock solid with firmwares this time around...
MSI instead of fixing their b450 boards, released MAX versions with proper uefi... The whole launch was terrible and I hated the experience.
This was the most expensive and most difficult/troublesome pc I've bought ever. I am only 30 but had desktop computers since I was 7 and built many of my own.
My 2500k pc booted in 10 fucking seconds. This pc needs 18 just to get to windows loading screen and it was like that on either x570 or b450. Yes, csm disabled and all that. Even running nvme only system with no sata at all.

So the pc was very expensive, boots longer than my last one, don't reach advertised clocks, required many uefi/chipset updates and still does. At least now it's working fine and IT IS blazing fast but man...
(specs: Gigabyte elite x570, 3700x, Dark Rock pro 4 cooling, Msi rtx2070, 2x Corsair NVME (500+1tb), Fractal define c case and be quiet silentwings3 fans, lg 27uk650 4k monitor.
While my slim was 200usd and I've had amazing gaming on it :p I always was a sucker for pc gaming. I feel stupid for loving pc gaming since forever and throwing so much money at it too but I always liked it

Last edited:

Sentenza

Hope that means I will be soon able to pay a good intel CPU less money when the time to change my PC comes.

Leonidas

Mandatory:
Leonidas Leonidas on suicide watch.
Someone check up on him STAT!

Um, I posted about this a month ago, the numbers aren't much different today than when I posted this.

Still Intel 9th Gen currently holds 2,5,8, with 9900K being sold out
AMD 3rd Gen holds only 3,10 with 3900x being sold out

2nd Gen Ryzen is killing 3rd Gen Ryzen right now, 10-15% slower at half the price.

Only difference today is both have 3 current gen CPUs in the top ten but more current gen Intel CPUs are out of stock...

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
Zen2 can't even beat Zen+ in those charts.

That's because AMD cant make enough of Zen 2 to keep up with demand......As a matter of fact, the 3600, 3700 and 3900 have been running out of stock since launch......

The only problem I see with AMD is if TSMC won't be able to keep supplying these 7nm products to AMD consistently......I think some of their customers have to make their orders at least 6 months ahead before delivery atm...So it may boil down to who TSMC prioritizes, who is their biggest customer, it may just be Apple at this point..…..There are so many 7nm products coming down the pipeline, TSMC may be overwhelmed, it's one of the reasons Nvidia is using Samsung's Foundry for their 7nm EUV fab...…….

Iorv3th

I just bought some ryzen cpus and did some builds with them for a company. They are greatly priced compared to intel when including motherboard.

Leonidas

That's because AMD cant make enough of Zen 2 to keep up with demand...

Intel 9th gen CPUs have been going in and out of stock too, and not just for a couple of months, it's been this way for a year.

The only difference is, old gen Intel CPUs aren't beating Intel 9th Gen. Zen2 is getting it's ass kicked in sales by Zen+. Maybe Zen2 will overtake Zen+ in 2020, when Zen3 launches...

PhoenixTank

I'll see how Intel's 10nm CPU's perform before making a true decision for my next build. Chances are, the new Intel CPU's will most likely perform better than AMD's 7nm while using less power.
If your are comfortable waiting a long while and have no pressing need to buy, that is a fair choice. I am assuming you'd want a desktop and for it to have more than 4 cores.

If your are comfortable waiting a long while and have no pressing need to buy, that is a fair choice. I am assuming you'd want a desktop and for it to have more than 4 cores.
I have a desktop now and it currently has 6C/12T. I’m all about the efficiency in the design. Typically AMD needs more cores and more power to go head to head with Intel.

Sentenza

I'll see how Intel's 10nm CPU's perform before making a true decision for my next build. Chances are, the new Intel CPU's will most likely perform better than AMD's 7nm while using less power.
People will always mention some very specific benchmark pointing how AMD is the shit and Intel is for suckers, but as someone who pays a lot of attention to the emulation scene I can't help but notice the common trend where having an AMD CPU or GPU more often than not equates to ask for troubles.

People will always mention some very specific benchmark pointing how AMD is the shit and Intel is for suckers, but as someone who pays a lot of attention to the emulation scene I can't help but notice the common trend where having an AMD CPU or GPU more often than not equates to ask for troubles.
Right!? Every AMD build I've ever made has had some sort of hang time to it when opening programs or simply even booting up. This is something that has even happened on the last 2700 build I did for someone. Where as, every intel build I've done has been butter smooth and snappy as shit. That's with 16GB of RAM and a good SSD in each of the systems. There is just something off with the way AMD processors feel to me and it's noticeable when you build a lot of systems.

Intel's 10nm CPUs are out already.
Higher IPC and proportionally lower max clocks.
Guess why we don't see them on desktop?

Yet, they still beat AMD processors with lower max clocks? They are only on mobile at the moment as well. There aren't any 10nm CPU's on Desktop yet.

Whatyearitis.gif
In gaming tests, i9 consumed nearly twice as much power.

i9 is 14nm and will clearly not beat a 7nm processor at power consumption. This much is common sense.

Last edited:
Heck I'm still on the 2700X and it's baller AF! Can't wait till I need to upgrade again their because by the time that happens they'll prolly have something crazy.

PhoenixTank

I have a desktop now and it currently has 6C/12T. I’m all about the efficiency in the design. Typically AMD needs more cores and more power to go head to head with Intel.
I'm not even talking about AMD here. Intel 10nm can't currently compete with Intel 14nm as a process. Low yields requiring smaller chips there with the only win being the actual chip design getting IPC gains to offset clock loss.
I fear the industry is at a point where a node shrink no longer equals a free performance gain.

The only difference is, old gen Intel CPUs aren't beating Intel 9th Gen. Zen2 is getting it's ass kicked in sales by Zen+. Maybe Zen2 will overtake Zen+ in 2020, when Zen3 launches...

Intel current gen is getting beaten - at least in these charts - by AMD last gen too. So .... I'm not sure that's the win you think it is.

Ryzen+ is clearing inventory while Ryzen 2 is supply constrained. And Ryzen 2 is using the most advanced process for large cores and debuted only a couple of months ago. If Intel are supply constrained on their "mature" 14nm process, and still losing out to Ryzen+ and Ryzen 2 .... then that's not great for them. But this chart is far from being the full story.

The truth is that despite this Amazon chart, Intel are still supplying far more CPUs than AMD, as they provide the bulk of the OEM stuff. Amazon's enthusiast / home builder oriented chart tell you only so much. AMD are still a long way behind in sales. But this does indicate just how well AMD are now able to sell to knowledgeable, performance and performance/$$$ oriented customers. And with good reason.

Leonidas

I still don't get how I am still being accused of being a fanboy or somehow hurt that AMD is selling CPUs. Can somehone explain that to me?

I simply prefer CPUs with the best gaming performance, that's all. Other benefits of Intel such as lower power consumption in my uses are just extras.

Nothing to do with being a fanboy.

Intel current gen is getting beaten - at least in these charts - by AMD last gen too. So .... I'm not sure that's the win you think it is.

I realized that a month ago when I posted basically the same thing the OP posted, except my post was more detailed than OP and pointed out the fact that Zen+ at deep discounts lead to those sales.
Why do you think I care if one company sells more CPUs than the other?

Last edited:

llien

Other benefits of Intel such as lower power consumption in my uses are just extras.
Lower power consumption, yeah, but nope, i9 9900k consumes nearly twice as much as 3900x.

Unlike with buldozer era, unless one buys $1300 GPU and plays at low resolutions for some strange reason, there is no notable performance difference (and it ain't Intel winning all the time either and AMD shows notably better min fps rates in a number of titles.

Basically a lost cause.

Leonidas

Lower power consumption, yeah, but nope, i9 9900k consumes nearly twice as much as 3900x.

This isn't exactly new information but it seems some people still can't get over the fact that Intel 14++ > TSMC/GloFo/AMD 7/14 hybrid when it comes to efficiency in many cases. In fact I estimate 99% of my usage more efficient on Intel by the following charts copied from a previous thread.

power-gaming.png
power-singlethread.png
power-idle.png

Intel more efficient and powerful in gaming. Intel more efficient in lightly threaded workloads. Intel more efficient at idle.

Intel being more efficient is just a small bonus as AMD has almost caught up with them.

Kinda funny how the fastest and most efficient gaming CPUs and GPUs this year aren't on "7nm".

Last edited:

bryo4321

Most Consumers really don’t care about <20 wattage differences or single digit frame rate differences. They want the best value and price to perf. They also want exciting new tech. People tease you because youre making points about small differences that have almost no effect on real world price to performance, which is what most people weight significantly more heavily than small power consumption or heat differences.

Leonidas

Most Consumers really don’t care about <20 wattage differences or single digit frame rate differences. They want the best value and price to perf. They also want exciting new tech. People tease you because youre making points about small differences that have almost no effect on real world price to performance, which is what most people weight significantly more heavily than small power consumption or heat differences.

I never claimed the power difference to be huge, I simply point out the fact that Intel 14++ is more efficient than AMD/TSMC/GloFo 7/14, which is clearly shown in reputable reviews.

And I only double down with the graphs when someone tries to dispute the fact, such as this dude below.

yeah, but nope, i9 9900k consumes nearly twice as much as 3900x.

Which is a blatant lie. I never see any one attack this individual and half of their posts are blatant lies, yet I'm attacked for correcting blatant lies such as this?

I never claimed the power difference to be huge, I simply point out the fact that Intel 14++ is more efficient than AMD/TSMC/GloFo 7/14, which is clearly shown in reputable reviews.

And I only double down with the graphs when someone tries to dispute the fact, such as this dude below.

Which is a blatant lie. I never see any one attack this individual and half of their posts are blatant lies, yet I'm attacked for correcting blatant lies such as this?
Honestly, I think this may be a thread of AMD die-hards. But the facts are just that. Intel at 14nm is really close to beating AMD at 7nm while being more efficient. AMD is going to be shitting themselves when Intel hits 10nm because their processors will once again dominate. I'm happy for AMD, but I'm putting my money into the longevity that Intel will be providing because it's not going to be an incremental difference like it is now.

Keep in mind, these are mobile CPU's.

1065g7-vs-3700u-pcmark.jpg
\

This image right here explains my PC building suspicions I mentioned previously in this thread.

Last edited:

PhoenixTank

Honestly, I think this may be a thread of AMD die-hards. But the facts are just that. Intel at 14nm is really close to beating AMD at 7nm while being more efficient. AMD is going to be shitting themselves when Intel hits 10nm because their processors will once again dominate. I'm happy for AMD, but I'm putting my money into the longevity that Intel will be providing because it's not going to be an incremental difference like it is now.

Keep in mind, these are mobile CPU's.

This image right here explains my PC building suspicions I mentioned previously in this thread.
You realise that you're comparing against a Zen+ CPU not a 7nm Zen 2 CPU in that link, right? I'm not sure what point this makes other than AMD mixing their range names is confusing? (Which it is)

You realise that you're comparing against a Zen+ CPU not a 7nm Zen 2 CPU in that link, right? I'm not sure what point this makes other than AMD mixing their range names is confusing? (Which it is)
Well I'll be damned, you're right, I guess I missed that bit of info. Why would they do that? Well I guess I won't have a point until next year when the 7nm mobile chips arrive.

Leonidas

Well I'll be damned, you're right, I guess I missed that bit of info. Why would they do that? Well I guess I won't have a point until next year when the 7nm mobile chips arrive.

They did it because that's all they had, and unlike Intel on desktop, AMD isn't competitive in high end mobile on an older process so they'll most likely be relegated to budget products this year.

The fact that Intel 14++ is more efficient than GloFo/AMD/TSMC 14/7 tells me everything I need to know.

They did it because that's all they had, and unlike Intel on desktop, AMD isn't competitive in high end mobile on an older process so they'll most likely be relegated to budget products this year.

The fact that Intel 14++ is more efficient than GloFo/AMD/TSMC 14/7 tells me everything I need to know.
I don't disagree with you, however, we gotta play fair here. AMD is really in a good position at the moment regardless of what we think/know.

PhoenixTank

Thanks for not doubling down :)
Yeah the naming sucks, and true enough, Intel is going to hold onto their entrenched dominance in the laptop space as far as I can tell. I have no idea if the Ryzen based Microsoft Surface rumours will pan out or be BS. AMD seem to be sticking with this "desktop & server first; mobile & CPUs iGPUs later" plan each generation still. Logistically makes sense to stagger but I swear they should throw an "M" or something in front of the mobile chips.
Unfortunately, going to suck across the board for consumers when they can't easily discern which parts are 14nm and which are 10nm in the Intel 10(/11?) series naming, IMHO.

Leonidas, right now Intel 14++ also beats Intel 10nm in everything except for IPC and I'd imagine perf/watt. The process has been shipping for years and is very mature now. It is a great node, for all the "14∞/14+++++" shit it gets from people. The criticism is getting thrown at Intel for the massively delayed transition to 10nm which has let competing foundries leapfrog them when they used to command a 2 node lead. I said it before but this comfortable guarantee we used to have, that a lower node will be better in every respect, is dying off.

Both you and llien only have half the picture too re: 3900X vs 9900k. In single and lightly threaded loads yeah the 9900k is a very efficient chip as you posted. Load it up and let it go beyond the rated 95W power limit and it does draw more than a fully loaded 3900X a chip with 12 cores, not 8. Motherboard manufacturers are not sticking to that TDP limit in the kinds of boards that reviews are made with and the kind of kit home builders are likely to use i.e. not OEM. (and why should they? If you have the cooling, you might as well take the "free" performance the extra wattage provides)

111362.png

Is it twice as much? No, but have a look at the 8 core 3700X you'll see it is in the region of half the 9900k. I imagine a fair 8 core load on the 3900X would be similar.
It isn't black and white: these chips and processes all have different characteristics and there are nuances to all of this. I say this with no ill will but your use of superlatives and absolutes probably contribute to this reputation of yours.
Does this make me a generic rabid amd fanboy? Come on now, we don't need to devolve into that.

thelastword

Banned
This isn't exactly new information but it seems some people still can't get over the fact that Intel 14++ > TSMC/GloFo/AMD 7/14 hybrid when it comes to efficiency in many cases. In fact I estimate 99% of my usage more efficient on Intel by the following charts copied from a previous thread.

power-gaming.png
power-singlethread.png
power-idle.png

Intel more efficient and powerful in gaming. Intel more efficient in lightly threaded workloads. Intel more efficient at idle.

Intel being more efficient is just a small bonus as AMD has almost caught up with them.

Kinda funny how the fastest and most efficient gaming CPUs and GPUs this year aren't on "7nm".
Leonidas, again....Total system power will be higher on X570 boards because it's a new chipset/motherboard from AMD with features that the 9900k Socket does not support that requires more power...……….Apart from that, IPC on AMD is higher, cores/threads is higher on the 3900X over the 9900k, including cache.......

Just do CPU draw and you will see the difference......

Leonidas

Leonidas, right now Intel 14++ also beats Intel 10nm in everything except for IPC and I'd imagine perf/watt.

Ice Lake 10nm pretty much beat's Whiskey Lake 14++ across the board.

Comparing mobile to desktop is pointless.

Load it up and let it go beyond the rated 95W power limit and it does draw more than a fully loaded 3900X a chip with 12 cores, not 8.

Anand is using AVX which blows up the 9900K. When AVX is not used your statement is false.

index.php

And in the case it is true (AVX used) who the hell on a gaming forum is loading up all core's with AVX?

Last edited:

Ascend

You do realize that Intel's 10nm is less efficient than their 14nm++, right? You don't get to use a smaller node as some sort of excuse when Intel failed at delivering their smaller node.

And... It's only going to get worse;

PhoenixTank

Ice Lake 10nm pretty much beat's Whiskey Lake 14++ across the board.

Comparing mobile to desktop is pointless.
Aside from frequency and yields, yes. Those are key parts too alongside IPC & perf/watt. That makes it pretty much a wash there. If it were an overall improvement I can't see why Intel would ship 10nm and 14nm in the same generation on mobile.
You're going to be waiting a long time if you don't use 10nm mobile as some sort of reference point for the future of Intel desktop.

Anand is using AVX which blows up the 9900K. When AVX is not used your statement is false.

index.php

And in the case it is true (AVX used) who the hell on a gaming forum is loading up all core's with AVX?
I'll concede that, aside from anyone who wants to encode their gameplay videos, all core AVX load would be unlikely. More and more games do use AVX these days too but the level of impact is unclear to me - can't be super heavy.

Leonidas

Does this make me a generic rabid amd fanboy? Come on now, we don't need to devolve into that.

I didn't accuse you of anything, you didn't mindlessly attack the other guy.

It's already devolved into that for me, I didn't even have to post anything in this thread before some labeled me a fanboy. Guess they missed the part where I said I wanted AMD to do well... but somehow the fact that I prefer the best gaming components on a gaming forum is somehow shocking...

I'm simply pointing out things most people here overlook, which I think even you noticed just a moment ago with the AVX thing...

Last edited:

Banned
I am excited what will they offer with zen 3 later as I am very satisfied with my 3600

Intel could talk later after they could fix all of those security flaws that has been downplayed by many

Last edited:

llien

I simply point out the fact that Intel 14++ is more efficient than AMD/TSMC/GloFo 7/14,
Yeah, but, nope:

ZE7KxLj.png

And stop with that BS "AVX" excuse:

CgyZ7Ip.png

Intel has the problem that AMD had with Polaris chips, running chip at clocks well into diminishing returns area.
Oh, and see that 2700x? That's a 14nm (faux 12nm) chip

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
3900x has been out of stocks for past months unless you camp newegg Amazon for trickle restock or cancelled buys.

Amd stock is going up! I hope........

llien

This image right here explains
Just how full of lies Intel fans are.

Lenovo has an exact counter part of T495 with an intel CPU. Also T series.
Oh, and T495 is still on an "12nm" which essentially is slightly bumped 14nm process.

Why compare it with god knows what by god knows whom please? AH, I know, FUD.

Now, to apples to apples comparison, T495 (AMD) vs T490 (Intel), Ryzen 5 sits nicely between I5 and I7:

7Xi2VaY.png

LMr5JLt.png

And, besides being cheaper, AMD laptop is nearly twice faster than Intel's (the thing on the top is using MX250, a dedicated chip that inflates price even further):

ityc8Db.png

Top Bottom