• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD's "tressfx" unveiled; Lara can take care of her own hair [DX11 compute]

Agni demo has more detailed hair...

http://www.abload.de/img/hair07iudn.jpg[img][/QUOTE]

It's hard to know if it will be implemented with that fidelity in actual gameplay situations with Agni. The Tomb Raider examples are in game, presumably during gameplay, so I'd imagine the effect could be used more intensely if say it was being used simply for cutscenes.

http://www.abload.de/img/hair07iudn.jpg[img][/QUOTE]

I need to watch that video again but square have always made good looking hair, but it's hair which has half a can of hairspray holding it together, very ridged and styled. This DX11 tech seems to make hair move more naturally too I presume.

Trickster

hair07iudn.jpg

Agni is a next gen demo...

tomb raider is still only current gen based.

dmr87

More stills here but no video :(

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showpost.php?p=1866348&postcount=256

Also, could a 7770 have this turn on and get 30fps with med-high? Or is a high end card needed, like with tessellation.

Here are more:
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showpost.php?p=1866348&postcount=256

I suspect we'll get videos either later today or later this week.

That is some slow ass host for the pictures, trying to get them all.

iNvid02

q/a with fans is great, more companies should do that.

Originally Posted by jamvng
What antialiasing options will be available in the game?

Right now we offer FXAA, and we are still looking at whether we can expand that either before release or later on.

TcpSeEH.gif

Eideka

Banned
Expected but still regrettable. I don't mind FXAA per se, it gives very good results for me but there's no question that SMAA is way better.

Haunted

Will be important how fluid and realistic it will look in motion. In any case, it makes the standard hair look like complete shit. :lol

Now I know how AMD users feel whenever PhysX are mentioned.

Lime

From the Q&A with Nixxes:

Originally Posted by JD_Method View Post
With your partnership with AMD, will there be any features in Tomb Raider that will be exclusive to gamers with AMD hardware, and unavailable to Nvidia users?

No there should not be. AMD has always been quite clear about that as well. We are working on features that are specific to the PC platform, but if they are DX11 features they will also work on Nvidia DX11 hardware.

And while we support features like Eyefinity that does not mean we do not support features like Surround for Nvidia.

In case anyone was still wondering

Mithos

yeah, if it doesnt have any aa bits then something like an smaa injector will do

I haven't needed any AA bits after 314.07 update, if I change anything in NVIDIA's own control panel it goes through to the games without being able to set AA bits there, in the games I've tested so far at least.

dr_rus

I wonder how terrible the implementation on non-AMD GPUs will be, and whether NV will bother to do driver-level code replacement.
It's DX11+DC5, no reason it should be that terrible on NV's h/w. In any case, I'm sure they'll optimize it via drivers as soon as the game will be released - as it was with pretty much every AMD's game in the past couple of years.

chiablo

So the XBox 360 and PS3 had some pretty cool cloth physics... is next gen the generation of good, but not great, looking hair?

Noirulus

Seems like the tech will also be available on Nvidia cards....i think.

I know, but precisely because they made it available to both cards even though they could have made it an exclusive feature to ATi cards, I'm going to support them by buying their cards in the future. I've always hated Nvidia's PhysX bullshit.

Guri

Now, Molyneux and David Cage can have a partnership for a game that the main character has a hair that is so important that he/she takes care of it with so much emotion. Also, it grows in real-time.

Lime

More from Nixxes Q&A

Yeah, some textures are 4k. I think we even have a few 8k ones at Ultra level. In general the exact resolution doesn't mean everything though, it the area on the screen they are applied to relative to their size is what is important

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Wow, this is very cool looking. It in fact makes the rest of the graphics in the game seem kind of dated, lol.

I hope being on AMD this means seamless poring to next gen console as well.

no videos makes no sense...

Has there been an official announcement yet? Or are these images just early leaks? Technically it's only 8:30am in the west coast of North America. Maybe they will show some video later in the day?

DX11 mean mostly GPGPU features that use shaders 5.0, tessellation and atomics. Rewritting it to libgcm [which should also has some form of native import function from dx11] shouldnt be a problem.

Ah, but yeah that was what I kinda meant, only I couldn't explain it technically.

On PC yes, their PC. They knew what PC it was so they could optimize it. Real release games cant do that.
So, it'll run fine on core i5+s and Nvidia GPUs 6xx+. It'll also run well on higher end AMD CPUs and GPUs since thats whats on consoles so where is it gonna perform poorly on PCs?

Top Bottom