• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT2| Party Like It's 1999.

Cystm

Oh man I haven't heard "Donovan fanboy" since Notrollious in the previous thread... now even he wants Klinsmann gone.

That is achieved by you invariably mentioning Donovan most of the time you mention Klinsmann.
But if you want to focus on bashing Donovan instead of those four bullet points of how bad the team has been for long stretches under Klinsmann, that's fine with me...

I just chose to dismiss them as you did with Klinsmann's accomplishments. Convenient to my "kultist" narrative.

I'm not sure what you're even arguing here, given that Wondo had zero caps in his career before Klinsmann started calling him in. There's a difference between having experience in big games and simply being over thirty, and LD vs Wondo is it.

That experience is not everything, and Wondo and Lando both had no business being in Brazil.

Yes, add Brad Davis amongst them as well:

Younger players such as Brad Davis who is so much younger than Donovan that he's actually older than him.

Yet Davis only had a handful of B team caps over his entire career until Klinsmann inexplicably decided he was an international caliber player... and started him against freaking Germany at the World Cup... how did that work out?

Yeah, he would have made the wrong choice in selecting any of those three players.

Brad Davis actually does share one thing in common with a young kid like Julian Green, though: His best game for the US was also in the equivalent of garbage time, after Donovan had already clinched victory in the hex with a goal and assist against Mexico. Brad Davis did somewhat okay in a B team game that mattered so little for us that Panama wasn't even trying because they assumed we would throw it.

Based Donovan, single handedly carried everyone on his back and Klinsmann and the other 10 guys on the pitch should be so thankful that they were alowed to come along for the ride.

Brad Davis who has 0 goals and 4 assists for a last place Dynamo team yet made the initial 23 man roster for this Gold Cup before being replaced due to injury, while an MVP candidate like Benny Feilhaber didn't even make the preliminary 35 man roster because Klinsmann thinks "there are other ones ahead of him.” I guess pointing that out makes me a Feilhaber fanboy though...

Try to find some coherent string of rational decisionmaking in all of that as a Klinsmann kultist.

You mentioned Feilhaber and everyone else about 600 times less than you have Lando.

So, he can do no wrong or he can do nothing but wrong. Brad Davis should not have been there over Feilhaber, as I have actually posted many times in this thread. One of the many complaints I have made of Klinsmann.

Moving forward, I will try to leave #LandonDonovan tags in my posts so you catch them.

This is where I am supposed to DetectiveGAF your history and show you how often you mention Lando and Klinsmann when Klinsmann's coaching is called into question.

I think it's fair to say we completely under preformed and Jamaica is (hopefully) getting stronger. It would be cool to see CONCACAF as a whole become stronger and better respected but that also requires less general non match fuckery.

If we miss the Confederations Cup or the Olympics he's got to go though, especially if it's his choices that screw it up.

Straight up, we should not have been playing both our young CB's at the same time as starters. We should have been pairing them with more experienced partners so they could learn and grow while maintaining defensive integrity. We had Gonzalez, we had Ream, there was no reason to throw Brooks and Alvarado out at the same time. Not yet anyway.

Yeah pretty much this for me if I'm completely honest.

My biggest complaint and I'm really mad about is spending money on tickets for an event that never really comes around here (in favor of NY, Chicago, LA, etc.) hoping to see the USMNT win something in my home town.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I think it's fair to say we completely under preformed and Jamaica is (hopefully) getting stronger. It would be cool to see CONCACAF as a whole become stronger and better respected but that also requires less general non match fuckery.

CONCACAF as a whole has been getting better, thanks in no small part to MLS allowing more regional players to play in a competitive league against strong competition. The US was never going to be the only country to benefit from MLS getting better, it was just going to be the first.

I disagree.

Upsets happen.

He can say "Well we beat Germany, we beat Holland, we bear Cuba etc etc... one loss out of ten is not a surprise in football. Giants get upset every once in awhile its the nature of the game"

But losing twice in a row to minnows?

That means the team is fundamentally broken.

I think the team is fundamentally broken regardless of the Panama result. You can't use the "sometimes David beats Goliath" excuse when they not only lost to Jamaica but woefully underperformed in three of the prior four matches before hand as well.

Jurgen botched this Gold Cup. A bronze medal and beating the 62nd ranked team in the world won't change that.

xbhaskarx

Actually, how important is winning the third place game for jurgen?

Well the third place game has almost zero importance... which means the results there are still infinitely more important than in friendlies. But that's just my opinion, others might say that only friendlies matter and games that actually count don't matter...

Cystm

Well the third place game has almost zero importance... which means the results there are still infinitely more important than in friendlies. But that's just my opinion, others might say that only friendlies matter and games that actually count don't matter...

Others might go on and on and on and on and on about Landon Donovan.

xbhaskarx

This is where I am supposed to DetectiveGAF your history and show you how often you mention Lando and Klinsmann when Klinsmann's coaching is called into question.

After my argument with Notrollious regarding Donovan/Klinsmann this time last year I developed a little theory about fans who vociferously defend Klinsmann... I think most of them haven't been following the US national team for very long, and are just happy that a famous European star would be gracious enough to coach our lowly team. For example he has been on GAF since 2010 but didn't really start posting in US soccer threads until 2014...
I notice you have been a member since 2011, yet you never once posted in the US soccer thread that was active from 2010 to early 2014...
so PLEASE tell us more about the 2013 Gold Cup

Here is your first post that mentions Donovan, from mid-2014:

Cystm on 05-23-2014:

Cystm said:
Not having Donovan's presence on the team seems really dumb.

Here is your first post that mentions Klinsmann, from later in 2014:

Cystm on 10-10-2014:

Cystm said:
I am wearing my Donovan centennial jersey at work today.

Whatever the beef between Donovan and Klinsmann, I think Donovan has been obviously huge for US football. Klinsmann is huge for progressing the US game and I like the direction he is taking the team.

And a year later, saying Donovan should have been on the World Cup roster makes me "a bitter Landon Donovan fan boy."
Like most victims of Stockholm Syndrome, you seem to have rationalized that decision and come to sympathize with your captor over the span of a few months.

I'm not sure what you'd expect to find in my post history on the subject, except that my position on Donovan/Klinsmann has been consistent from the beginning until now...

We were sloppy at times but I actually think we outplayed Jamaica for 80 out of 90 minutes. It was just one of those games where we really got punished in those 10 minutes, it happens.

It was in stark contrast to the group play where we played horrendous for 80 out of 90 minutes and we just got lucky that those teams were too weak to take advantage during those 80 minutes.

I don't care about Jamaica, but I'm still steaming over the group play matches. There's no reason we should have been that unprepared to start the Gold Cup.

Which leads me to ask the group a question -

Do you think the USMNT should narrow their list of home fields to just a few important locations during big competitions or games?

I understand they want to expose the national team to various parts of the country, but sometimes it doesn't feel like we actually have home field advantage in certain places. Between the sometimes horrendous field conditions and hordes of fans from the other teams, too often it feels we're actually disadvantaged.

I'd like to see the USMNT narrow the list of home fields to 2-3 locations in different climate areas and at places that actually know how to run soccer games so we don't have terrible fields and terrible security, and so the players and fanbase can actually build an aura around a particular stadium like Wembley in England or the Maracanã in Brazil.

Mory Dunz

We were sloppy at times but I actually think we outplayed Jamaica for 80 out of 90 minutes. It was just one of those games where we really got punished in those 10 minutes, it happens.

It was in stark contrast to the group play where we played horrendous for 80 out of 90 minutes and we just got lucky that those teams were too weak to take advantage during those 80 minutes.

I don't care about Jamaica, but I'm still steaming over the group play matches. There's no reason we should have been that unprepared to start the Gold Cup.

This.
The group games were worse imo. We had no possession and long balled everything. I hate watching that. I hate losing too...but...well.

Anyway, how come when we walked over the gold cup with our B Team + Wondolowski in 2013, no one gave an eff and saw it as pointless? Did other teams rest their main team? Maybe Mexico...

But now it's a huge barometer for success I guess.
I don't mind either way, just as long as pundits are consistent.

This.
The group games were worse imo. We had no possession and long balled everything. I hate watching that. I hate losing too...but...well.

Anyway, how come when we walked over the gold cup with our B Team + Wondolowski in 2013, no one gave an eff and saw it as pointless? Did other teams rest their main team? Maybe Mexico...

I think most people saw that Gold Cup as a launching pad for bigger and better things. That hasn't happened. In fact, there's been a pretty clear regression in competitive matches over the past 24 months.

Bringing up the 2013 Gold Cup also highlights one of a lot of people's biggest criticisms of Klinsmann. The USMNT's best player that cup wasn't invited to the 2015 Gold Cup, nor was he invited to the 2014 WC. Name rhymes with Fandylakes.

Nesotenso

I think most people saw that Gold Cup as a launching pad for bigger and better things. That hasn't happened. In fact, there's been a pretty clear regression in competitive matches over the past 24 months.

Bringing up the 2013 Gold Cup also highlights one of a lot of people's biggest criticisms of Klinsmann. The USMNT's best player that cup wasn't invited to the 2015 Gold Cup, nor was he invited to the 2014 WC. Name rhymes with Fandylakes.

Donovan wasn't even playing well in MLS prior to the WC. And in friendlies he looked a step slower than his usual self. Would have taken him over someone like Brad Davis, but then the media would also throw if Landon didn't start.

After my argument with Notrollious regarding Donovan/Klinsmann this time last year I developed a little theory about fans who vociferously defend Klinsmann... I think most of them haven't been following the US national team for very long, and are just happy that a famous European star would be gracious enough to coach our lowly team. For example he has been on GAF since 2010 but didn't really start posting in US soccer threads until 2014...
I notice you have been a member since 2011, yet you never once posted in the US soccer thread that was active from 2010 to early 2014...

Well my account didn't get approved for the longest time, that was the date I had signed up I don't remember how long it was until I got approved though. It's also very easy to miss Community threads too.

Also playing the "who's been here longer" kinda irks me. It's very easy to miss Community threads and it's what drove me away from NFL gaf with their "life long"er bullshit they pull, I'd rather not bring that over here either if possible.

I agree but given our talent level we should have been doing more IMO.

I dunno, it's a bit of a mess all around.

Which leads me to ask the group a question -

Do you think the USMNT should narrow their list of home fields to just a few important locations during big competitions or games?

You mean for the Gold Cup?

No, the stadiums arent picked by the USMNT, theyre picked by the tournament organizers where revenue is key.

Further, its ludicrous as fuck that the US gets to host every time anyway. Its more fair to give everyone else a home game (Canada in Toronto, Mexico in LA, etc)

xbhaskarx

Also playing the "who's been here longer" kinda irks me.

Sorry to drag you into it, I was drawing the parallel to show how much Cystm has changed his tune from "Not having Donovan's presence on the team seems really dumb" at the time to now calling me "a bitter Landon Donovan fan boy" for saying exactly that.

Would have taken him over someone like Brad Davis, but then the media would also throw if Landon didn't start.

Now it's the media that would be the problem? Here is my response to "Can you imagine how he'd act if he didn't play? He'd have been an absolute cancer" from late last year... bottom line is it wasn't really a problem when Donovan didn't start in both the quarterfinal and semifinal of the 2011 Gold Cup.

xbhaskarx

MLS Elo ratings... the level of parity is getting ridiculous.

People are not going to be able to make these Toronto jokes for much longer...

Cystm

Here is your first post that mentions Donovan, from mid-2014:

Cystm on 05-23-2014:

Yes, my knee jerk response the day the roster was released that it was dumb.

Only, I did not stay in that frame of thought. I did not build a fortress around that thought and cast out all that dared oppose that frame of logic for being the kultists they so clearly are!

I built a bridge and I got the fuck over it.

Here is your first post that mentions Klinsmann, from later in 2014:

Cystm on 10-10-2014:

Yeah.

And a year later, saying Donovan should have been on the World Cup roster makes me "a bitter Landon Donovan fan boy."
Like most victims of Stockholm Syndrome, you seem to have rationalized that decision and come to sympathize with your captor over the span of a few months.

I'm not sure what you'd expect to find in my post history on the subject, except that my position on Donovan/Klinsmann has been consistent from the beginning until now...

It's not the simple fact that is has been a year and you mention him in this specific instance, it is that you are constantly mentioning it when ever you are constantly complaining about Klinsmann.

As for my time here in the threads, yeah I don't really give a fuck about how much longer you did or did not post about soccer before me or anyone else, it amounts to as much as your hyperbolic posts about Donovan and Klinsmann.

Nesotenso

Now it's the media that would be the problem? Here is my response to "Can you imagine how he'd act if he didn't play? He'd have been an absolute cancer" from late last year... bottom line is it wasn't really a problem when Donovan didn't start in both the quarterfinal and semifinal of the 2011 Gold Cup.

Nobody can argue that it would be an unnecessary point of debate if he didn't start.

xbhaskarx

I bring up Donovan because it's one of the most glaring examples of Klinsmann's awful decision-making.

There are plenty of others, however, and I point those out too. There are a few above that even you agreed with, from Wondo and Brad Davis to repeatedly snubbing Feilhaber... It started right after Klinsmann took over and it's still going on. From playing with 3-4 defensive midfielders back in 2011-12, to Alvarado suddenly being promoted to first choice CB to little things like Alfredo Morales starting as the left midfielder against Panama. There is no shortage of mind-numbingly inexplicable shit...
This is a guy who had the cipher that is Martín Vasquez as his right hand man for most of his tenure, until he was unceremoniously dismissed just a couple months before the World Cup. It takes real skill to make such a bad hire, stubbornly stick with it and put off the blindingly obvious decision to replace him for three years, until such a time that doing so actually looks like a panicky bad decision.
This dude is basically paid millions to be a troll, nothing he does makes any sense and nothing he says has any meaning... an example from the link I posted above in response to Nesotenso:

"We left quite a few of the experienced players out because we want to give the younger players a chance to break in. Guys like...Chris Wondolowski...are not in this roster...simply because we want to see the youngsters make their point." -Klinsmann October 6, 2014

Chris Wondolowski added to USA roster for friendly vs. Ecuador -October 7, 2014

One day later. ONE DAY!

Cystm

Now you can play MLS fantasy soccer in single-day leagues, without the need to make a season-long commitment. It’s faster and simpler than traditional fantasy games, and best of all, you can win prizes immediately. We are offering both free and paid leagues.

"INNOVATIVE WAY TO EXPERIENCE THE SPORT"

Congrats to Fabian Castillo who has received his green card and no longer counts as an international player.

This.

Yo, MLS gaf... Not as well versed as many of you but my guess is that The US is now under consistent scrutiny because many are claiming and expecting the US to rise in the ranks. Any failure to do can be seen as a step in the wrong direction.

DraftKings MLS is 50k salary

Positions: GK, D, D, M, M, F, F, Flex
Scoring:
Players will accumulate points as follows:
Goal = +10 PTs
Assist = +6 PTs
Shot = +1 PTs
Shot on Goal = +1 PTs
Crosses = +1 PTs (Ball sent in from the wing, into the box for offensive purposes. Corner kicks do not count)
Fouls Drawn = +0.75 PTs
Red Card = -1 PTs
Saves (GK) = +2 PTs
Goal Allowed (GK) = -2 PTs
Clean Sheet (GK, D) = +5 PTs
One Goal Allowed (GK, D) = +2 PTs
Win (GK) = +5 PTs
Penalty Kick Save (GK) = +3 PTs

Scoring Notes:
  • The MLS awards both primary and secondary assists. Both primary and secondary assists are used for scoring in MLS contests and they have the same point value.
  • Offensive stats (goals, assists, shots, shots on goal, crosses) will not be counted for goalkeepers.
  • Goalkeepers/Defenders must play at least 60 minutes to qualify for the clean sheet or one goal allowed bonus. The player’s team (regardless if he is still playing or not) must allow zero or one goal respectively over the course of regular time and extra time to qualify. Injury time is not counted in a player's total minutes played.
  • Goalkeeper win stat is calculated at the end of regulation time or extra time if needed. Goalkeepers must play at least 60 minutes to qualify for a win.
  • Stats from Penalty Kick shootouts will not be counted for any players.
  • Own goals do not count as goals for, but do count as goals against for Goalkeepers and do factor into Clean Sheet and One Goal Allowed calculations

High end each position:
GK:
Rowe (LA) - 5800
Kennedy (DAL) - 5600
Clark (CLB) - 5300
Melia (SKC) - 5200

The third strings are around 3000. Bobby Shuttleworth (NE) is 3500.

D:
Mears (SEA) - 5800
Tierney (NE) - 5800
Beasley (HOU) - 5500
Gonzalez (LA) - 5200

Lowest is 2000. Erik Palmer-Brown (SKC) is 3100. Jack Jewsbury (POR) is 3200.

M:
Feilhaber (SKC) - 9500
Valeri (POR) - 9200
Higuain (CLB) - 9000
Ishizaki (LA) - 9000

Lowest is 2900-3000. Jermaine Jones (NE) is 3500. Tony Tchani (CLB) is 4800.

F:
Giovinco (TOR) - 12000
Keane (LA) - 11000
Castillo (DAL) - 10600
Kamara (CLB) - 10500

Lowest is 3000. Jozy Altidore (TOR) is 7300. Blas Perez (DAL) is 8000.

It's... intriguing

xbhaskarx

Damn that interests me but I'm not really into gambling... Never done something like that before, can I just play with a token amount of money?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
What do people think of Grant Wahl, generally?

He's just wrote an article talking about the poor reputation of CONCACAF http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/201...-controversy-corruption-referees-fifa-scandal

It didn't stop him posing with the banned Horace Burrell for a photo.

original.jpg

That just seems like nitpicking. Reporters are as human as the rest of us, so long as he does his reporting properly, which he does, whatever else is fine. It's only an issue if Wahl goes easy on him, and CONCACAF, as a result.

First WC Qualifying group is pretty straight forward.

United States of America
Trinidad and Tobago
Winner of St Vincent v. Aruba
Winner of Antigua and Barbuda v. Guatemala

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Looks like Klinsmann learned his lesson about the central pairing on the backline. Omar and Brooks should be a good tandem. I'm a little iffy about Chandler being back though.

CKyAT2SWsAAS2eP.png:large

As it should've been from the start.

Amen, brother.

Top Bottom