• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT2| Party Like It's 1999.

xbhaskarx

Pasting from the Gold Cup thread...

Shots after 90 minutes:
zaV4hnd.png

Good thing we're hosting in front of a pro-US crowd, and that Panama is missing five key players via suspension and injuries, and that they almost decided not to show up for this game, and played kickball instead of training... otherwise this could have been embarrassing!

When I said this game wouldn't matter in terms of Klinsmann's standing because just having to play this game was embarrassing enough, I said so with the implicit assumption that they wouldn't get ANNIHILATED in every measure except the scoreline by Panama at home.

The way the team has just completely unraveled is not a good look for ol Jurgen

When I said this game wouldn't matter in terms of Klinsmann's standing because just having to play this game was embarrassing enough, I said so with the implicit assumption that they wouldn't get ANNIHILATED in every measure except the scoreline by Panama at home.

The way the team has just completely unraveled is not a good look for ol Jurgen

Maybe the players want him gone

Nesotenso

The shot disparity is pretty much the fault of the midfield. Johnson, Bradley, Corona and Zusi were awful today. Hopefully this is the end of Corona and Zusi. We should also be looking to find a long term replacement for Beckerman. Could be Williams, Feilhaber or Kitchen. Someone has to cement that spot. I wish Bradley was more consistent.

So of the current crop of players that made the team this tournament, who would you keep on for the future? Who makes up the core of our team that deserves to be there in the future?

Brian Straus ‏@BrianStraus 3m
Jurgen on team he'll choose for Confed Cup playoff: "It won’t be totally different. It will be very similar."

Buckle up folks.

xbhaskarx

Paul Carr ‏@PCarrESPN

#USMNT finishes 4th at the Gold Cup, its 2nd-worst finish ever (eliminated in 2000 quarterfinals by Colombia).

Nesotenso

I hope by Jurgen's comment he means keeping on the bulk of the roster and leaving the rest behind. At least I hope that is what he meant.

Coming back to your question, I think this is the last of Zusi, Corona, DMB, Wondo and Beckerman at least. I think Chandler can cross the ball well but make to many mistakes at the back. Maybe it is time to move Yedlin there. He is still raw but he has recovery speed at least. I would like to see someone nail down the spot next to Bradley in midfield. Could be Feilhaber, Mix, Williams or Morales. Someone should just get an extended look there.

I think Klinsmann should decide on a consisting starting eleven going into WC qualifying. Make changes at halftime in friendlies but try nailing down and going with the same 11 to start a game.

Cystm

Giovinco is starting along with Jozy. MLS Fantasy was indicating Gio was out with an injury. Should be a good game.

I missed the 3rd place match. Did not seem like much of a point to it, after Panama basically started playing kick ball during training in defiance to the refereeing in the No Era Penal match.

Klinsmann saying to expect more of the same is not a good sign. Hopefully we have a decent back line and Zusi and Zardes are warming the bench.

xbhaskarx

Awesome, who cares about consisitency or accountability....

Doug McIntyre @DougMacESPN
Sunil Gulati confirms that Klinsmann's job isn't in jeopardy, and won't be even if #usmnt loses Confederations Cup playoff in Oct.

The players need to be taken out of their comfort zones and challenged and put under pressure by both fans and media, but Klinsmann is completely off the hook two months before the game is even played.

Seth Vertelney @svertelney
Gulati says Klinsmann's job is safe, and there aren't parallels with Bradley being fired after losing '11 GC final
But... but the 2011 final was one game... fuck it I give up lol

Nesotenso

That's not a good sign when Klinsmann is more motivational speaker than coach... why didn't he bring back "motivational expert Donnie Moore" to bend frying pans and tear phone books?

rousing speeches or not, you expect professionals to at least show competency in retaining the ball and keeping it. Every time the US defense gets overwhelmed and gives up so many shots on goal it is always the same story. Bad possession and errant passing higher up the pitch makes it harder for whoever is in the backline.

Sunil Gulati confirms that Klinsmann's job isn't in jeopardy, and won't be even if #usmnt loses Confederations Cup playoff in Oct.

I think Sunil is right here. We would making a mistake like Mexico if we fire him for not winning a one off game. The only way JK gets fired before 2018 is if the qualifying campaign turns into a shit show, which it can if the Gold cup is anything to go by.
Don't think there are any viable candidates out there at the moment anyway.

Cystm

All that money and Toronto cannot defend. Such a shame, because when the ball is on the other side of the pitch they look good/amazing.

All that money and Toronto cannot defend. Such a shame, because when the ball is on the other side of the pitch they look good/amazing.

No Ashtone Morgan in the lineup (didn't think I'd ever say that) and our new signing Kantari isn't playing this match either. Still without Bradley, too.

Also I'm not too hot on Bendik lately and Altidore is meh with flashes of brilliance, but I think that money could be better spent.

xbhaskarx

Neil W. Blackmon ‏@nwblackmon

Perspective on Brad Guzan's ten saves today...Tim Howard made EIGHT against Spain in 2009. Peak Spain, as the kids say.

Andy Edwards ‏@AndyEdMLS

The #USMNT was out-shot by a total of 93-62 at #GoldCup2015. (Take out the 6-0 thrashing of Cuba, and it's 85-45.)

NoRéN

The players need to be taken out of their comfort zones and challenged and put under pressure by both fans and media, but Klinsmann is completely off the hook two months before the game is even played.

Seth Vertelney @svertelney
Gulati says Klinsmann's job is safe, and there aren't parallels with Bradley being fired after losing '11 GC final

But... but the 2011 final was one game... fuck it I give up lol
One game vs Mexico.

Not two games vs Jamaica and Panama.

Fucking lol!

Cystm

Giovinco with another amazing goal.

Kamara, Feilhaber, Giovinco. All MVP caliber. Going to be close if this persists into the second half of the season.

Edit: Nice break. Another TFC goal.

xbhaskarx

Armchair Analyst: Gold Cup epitaph for the USMNT and a reason to worry going forward

Our starting XI had never played together before. Klinsmann hasn't played the same XI in back-to-back games since 2014.

Winning friendlies is nice. Winning friendlies, then playing a different lineup, formation and style in games that actually mean something defeats the point of playing those friendlies in the first place.

This was compounded by poor substitution patterns. The US were up 4-0 at the half against Cuba last week, yet Klinsmann didn't sub Bradley and Dempsey -- his two most important players -- to get them some rest.

Hey that's what I said after the previous loss:
As far as players having bad touches against Jamaica, perhaps they were tired? Why did Klinsmann have the two players the team most depends on Dempsey and Bradley both play 90 minutes in what was essentially a practice game against Cuba, in the heat (89) and humidity (87) of Baltimore? We were up 4-0 by the 45th minute and they never posed any threat, so why take out Timmy Chandler and Kyle Beckerman at halftime and run Dempsey and Bradley into the ground?

This article is even more damning as the previous version:
Armchair Analyst: Jurgen Klinsmann & USMNT flame out vs. Jamaica in Gold Cup loss

NoRéN

• The argument that "He needs more time to implement his system!"is invalid. Bruce Arena took the team that finished dead last at France '98, turned 'em around in 10 months and led them to a third-place finish in the 1999 Confederations Cup, which included a 2-0 win over Germany. Bob Bradley coached his first USMNT game in January of 2007, and led his team to a Gold Cup win in July of that year.

Klinsmann has had four years, and his team is performing worse now than they ever have under him, under Bradley, or under Arena. Even though Bradley and Arena had shallower and less dynamic player talent pools to draw from.

xbhaskarx

Cubo Torres makes his debut with the Dynamo already up 2-0...

A minute later Roy Lassiter's son Ariel makes his debut for LA.

xbhaskarx

drudge-siren.gif
Pirlo debut Pirlo debut
drudge-siren.gif

Three World Cup winners on the field at the same time (David Villa, Pirlo, Kaka), that's a first for MLS...

Meier

Very exciting game thus far. Mena is a bit unlucky to have had to play immediately for NYC.. clearly needed additional time to gel with his teammates.

xbhaskarx

This has to be one of the best games of the season... Orlando City equalize minutes after Pirlo's debut, Villa just made it 3-2 for NYC.

xbhaskarx

If this NYC team can somehow manage to get into the playoffs I think they'll be a legitimate threat to come out of the east, right up there with Toronto...

Top Bottom