• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Americans can study in Germany for free, in English

The above is true for everyone, not just for Americans. I keep saying it here, but no one wants to listen. So I'll just make it into sort of an OT.
The WP article at hand expands some more on why the German government is allowing this (demographic decline, lack of high-skilled labor).

Americans can study in Germany for free, in English. An increasing number are doing it. - The Washington Post

Tuition to U.S. universities has surged 500 percent since 1985 and continues to rise. But German universities offer free education to everyone -- including Americans.

The number of American students enrolled in German universities has risen steadily in recent years. Currently, an estimated 10,000 U.S. citizens are studying at German colleges -- nearly all of them for free, according to NBC News (video at the links: "Student Sarah Johnson Compares the Cost of Tuition").

German universities in most federal states have traditionally been free for German citizens as well as many foreigners, including many American, Chinese and British students. One reason German taxpayers foot the bill is to help attract more skilled workers to the country.

(...)

To attract talent from abroad, many Germany universities have started to offer courses on an undergraduate as well as postgraduate level in English. According to a data analysis by the website studyportals.eu -- which collects information on available college courses all over the world -- there are at least about 900 entirely English-language courses in Germany. The subjects include social sciences, politics and engineering -- a particular strength of the country's education system. Getting into those courses is easier than one might assume: In some cases, a potential student doesn't even have to submit a formal application.

There are other countries that offer even more such courses, including the Netherlands, as well as English-speaking Ireland and the United Kingdom. However, Germany is the only country without any tuition fees.

huUmsgN.png

A studyportals.eu visualization which shows the number of English-language undergraduate and postgraduate courses available per country.

(...)

It is an offer that attracts an increasing number of fans: The German Academic Exchange Service has also seen a rising number of applicants from other countries with a history of proud and excellent universities, for instance Britain.

After tuition was increased by the conservative government several years ago, students started looking for cheaper options in Europe. Robert Chesters told the German newsweekly Der Spiegel that he considered studying abroad in Germany a good alternative. "I just couldn't have afforded to study in England," he said.

As far as English only programs go, I could find 760 BA, MA & PhD English-only, tuition-free degrees.

More links (info) & some caveats:

CHE University Ranking 2015/16 (German university ranking)
Applying for a study programme

Even if you have met the general admission requirements and found your course of choice, you will often not be able to enrol directly. There are many courses for which demand is greater than supply. This means that only a certain number of places are available for a course. In this case, applicants first have to pass through an admission procedure. The courses subject to this kind of admission procedure either have local or national admission restrictions. Direct enrolment is possible for all other courses that are not subject to admission restrictions.

(...)

Visa application

International students looking to study in Germany will generally need a visa. This excludes students from the European Union (EU), the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland. These students only require a valid ID card or comparable identification to travel to Germany. Students from these countries can register at the city's registry office as soon as they have found an apartment. This is where they will receive a residence permit for study purposes.

There are also a number of countries for which students can obtain their necessary residence permit for study purposes after their arrival. These include Australia, Israel, Japan, Canada, New Zealand, South Korea and the United States of America. It also includes the following countries, provided that the student does not intend to work in Germany before or after completing their studies: Andorra, Brazil, El Salvador, Honduras, Monaco and San Marino.

International students from other countries generally need to apply for a visa before arrival.

(...)

PROOF OF FINANCIAL RESOURCES

Your proof of financial resources verifies that you can pay for your period of study. At least the living expenses for your first year in Germany must be fully financed. In general, around 7,908 euros of income or assets are required for the first year, or 659 euros per month. But evidence of higher amounts may also be requested. The German embassy in your home country will provide more information on the proof that needs to be provided. In principle, the following types of proof are possible:

• proof of parents' income and assets
  • the Foreigners' Registration Offices receives confirmation that someone whose place of residence is in Germany commits to assume the costs for you
  • a security sum on a blocked account
  • scholarship from a recognised scholarship foundation
  • funding in accordance with the German Bundesausbildungsförderungsgesetz (BAföG - Federal Education and Training Assistance Act).

Earning money

Students from the European Union (EU) or European Economic Area (EEA) have free access to the German job market and are practically equivalent to German students. International students from other countries can work a total of 120 full or 240 half days per year. If you want to work more, you need a permit from the "Agentur für Arbeit" (Federal Employment Agency) and the foreigners' authority. Whether you are issued a work permit largely depends on the condition of the local job market. You are less likely to receive a permit to work more than 120 days in regions with higher unemployment rates.

This does not include work as a research assistant. No time limits apply for this activity. However, you will still need to inform the foreigners' authority. In addition, international students from outside the EU or EEA are not permitted to work in a self-employed or freelance capacity. If you are unsure about what kind of job you have been offered, please consult the relevant authority.

Regulations are particularly strict for participants in language courses or in preparatory courses ("Studienkolleg"). You may only work in lecture-free periods and only with the consent of the Federal Employment Agency and the foreigners' authority.

(...)

So imagine you're working on 120 days / year (so ~ twice a week), 7h / day & earn at least 8,5 / hour (minimum wage). This will amount to 7140 euros per year and will get you very close to covering your yearly living expenses.

Financing your studies
The semester fee is generally payable at all universities and for all students in Germany. It has nothing to do with the course fees, and is compiled of fees for the student union and for the student administration (AstA). At many universities the semester fee also includes a semester ticket for local public transport. The actual amount differs for each university, but it will be somewhere between 100 and 250 euros. The semester fee needs to be transferred on enrolment for the course, before the start of every new semester. Whether there are any additional costs for course material or textbooks depends on the specific course.

THE SEMESTER FEE AT THE UNIVERSITY OF COLOGNE IN THE 2014/15 WINTER SEMESTER IS COMPRISED OF:

• Student administration: EUR 8.77
  • University sports activities: EUR 1.75
  • Semester ticket: EUR 162.80
  • Faculty allocation: EUR 2.10
  • Student union: EUR 59.00
  • Total: EUR 234.42

Publicly funded universities normally waive tuition fees for most bachelor’s and many master’s degree programmes. However, fees are charged for certain Master or PhD programmes. Most private universities also charge tuition fees. The cost of tuition can vary significantly, but in no way reflects the quality of the education.

Living expenses

Living expenses in Germany are slightly above average in a European context. They are below those of countries such as Denmark, Luxembourg or Switzerland, but are quite high compared to countries such as Asia, Africa or Latin America.

PRICE OVERVIEW

• 1 loaf of bread: EUR 1.20 - 3
  • 1 kilo of apples: EUR 2
  • 1 kilo of potatoes: EUR 1
  • 1 litre milk: EUR 0.60 - 1
  • 1 bottle of mineral water (0.75 litres): EUR 0.30 - 0.80
  • 1 cup of coffee (in a café): EUR 2.50
  • 1 beer (in a pub): EUR 2 - 3
  • 1 pizza in a restaurant: EUR 4 - 6
  • 1 pair of shoes: EUR 30 – 100
  • 1 T-shirt: EUR 7 - 50
  • 1 pair of trousers: EUR 30 - 100
  • 1 cinema ticket (student discount): EUR 5 - 8
  • 1 theatre ticket (student discount): EUR 6 - 30
  • 1 ticket to a museum (student discount): EUR 2 - 8

A German student's average monthly budget amounts to 864 euros. This includes the rent, travel expenses, costs for food, clothing, learning material, health insurance, phone, Internet, radio and television fees and expenses for leisure activities. It does not include the semester fee, which needs to be paid prior to every semester as part of re-registration. This means that higher costs arise at the start of the semester. International students have significantly fewer funds than their German counterparts and have to finance their everyday activities with an average of 725 euros.

WHAT DO GERMAN STUDENTS PAY MONEY FOR EVERY MONTH?

• Rent (incl. ancillary expenses): EUR 298
  • Food: EUR 165
  • Clothing: EUR 52
  • Travel expenses (car/public transport): EUR 82
  • Health insurance and medical costs. Medication: EUR 66
  • Phone/Internet/Radio/TV fees, postage: EUR 33
  • Course materials/learning materials (books, etc.): EUR 30
  • Leisure, culture and sports: EUR 68
  • Total: EUR 794

The "Semester ticket" is huge. At pretty much every university the semester fee includes free public transportation not just in the city, but in the whole region (incl. train rides). For instance in North Rhine-Westphalia this includes the whole state which makes up a significant part of Germany (it's also the most populous one):
xb8A05B.png

Edit: Another official info site: https://www.study-in.de/en/

Mr.Mike

That's cool. I'd definitely consider doing my Masters in Germany. ( And I do have EU citizenship, which ought to make this even easier). Of course my province in Canada just made tuition free too.

Anyone know what the best schools for Computer Science are in Germany?

That's really cool. My friend took German for a few years (didn't graduate), and got laid-off a couple weeks ago, kinda wanna see what he thinks of this

Okay I'm doing this. I've been saying how badly I want to go to Germany for a while and I'm like perpetually a student, so this is kind of perfect.

nOoblet16

Yep, if I had known this 5 years ago I would have invested my time in Germany. Instead I choose the UK, continued to do so for Masters and still did for my PhD despite the fact that no one really seem to want foreign born students there anymore.

Its because I am originally from India and I heavily integrated myself in UK when I arrived in the country 5 years ago, since it was a big change for me coming from India and I needed that in order to feel at home. I could have moved after my Bachelor's but I just wasn't ready to do it all over again, especially when it meant I'd have had to make the change once again after finishing my post graduate studies. But I'll most likely move for sure after 3-4 years i.e. once I am done with my PhD.

TU München is friggin amazing by the way.

Window

+1 on the recommendation for TUM. It's very well respected by the industry . For postgrad studies I think scholarships and stipends would weigh in more heavily.

frontovik

Banned
It's definitely an option I would consider if I was allowed to travel.

Are there any particular downsides or difficulties to this?

oti

Banned
Welcome to Germany.
We are very nice and polite.
Try to learn at least some German while you're here, we appreciate it greatly.
Never talk about Atemlos durch die Nacht, just don't.
We do not acknowledge the word Soccer.
You have to have a football team. Go with HSV for the most action.
Relax.
Have fun.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
I'm surprised so many people haven't heard of this. How strict are they with admissions?

nOoblet16

I think the reason most people don't know about this or ignore it is because they do not know that you can study in English in Germany in almost any of the good universities...especially the technical degrees.

Langzeitstudis sind willkommen!

Come to the Freie Universität Berlin, we don't bite!

This thread is making me feel bad about my life choices, especially when I was seriously considering TU Munich and TU Berlin in 2014. Ah well, I'll just keep visiting for now...lol

To people who didn't know of it: Well, that's not my fault. I kept screaming about it in a number of threads for a like 5 years ;(

To all wanting to go:

QwRIdfo.jpg

I wish this was online. Can't really travel in my condition. Would love to pursue my masters for free

I'm sorry to hear that. I don't think there are online-only offerings which the free/English-only conditions (tbh I can't think of any German university which offers such programs) :(

That's cool. I'd definitely consider doing my Masters in Germany. ( And I do have EU citizenship, which ought to make this even easier). Of course my province in Canada just made tuition free too.

Anyone know what the best schools for Computer Science are in Germany?

Check out these CHE rankings (they are study conditions, rather than research focused): https://www.daad.de/deutschland/studienangebote/ranking/en/?a=hitlist&s=1&hstype=1&d=4 (the "O" mean lack of data from what I gather).
Though not all of them may offer CS free & English only masters programs. From the public unis, the RWTH Aachen, Uni Augsburg & Uni Magdeburg ranked pretty well in 2015 (from this German article, which in turn summarized the previsouly mentioned CHE ranking).

Generally, we don't have elite universities. There was a program to establish those and now they simply get more gov. funds (from what I understand). These top universities include:
  • 1. Eberhard-Karls-Universität Tübingen
  • 2. Ruprecht-Karls-Universität Heidelberg
  • 3. Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München
  • 4. Technische Universität München
  • 5. Freie Universität Berlin
  • 6. Technische Universität Dresden
  • 7. RWTH Aachen
  • 8. Universität Konstanz
  • 9. Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin
  • 10. Universität Bremen
  • 11. Universität Köln
But it really depends on your course too.

I'm surprised so many people haven't heard of this. How strict are they with admissions?
It really depends on the area of study, region, uni. You should read this:
https://www.daad.de/deutschland/nach-deutschland/bewerbung/en/8680-applying-for-a-study-programme/
But with a good GPA you should be fine.

Ahasverus

I wish one were allowed to work during the sgudiest, an MBA would be a realistic option for me then. Will still keep an eye on this thanks OP.

Reversed

Welcome to Germany.
We are very nice and polite.
Try to learn at least some German while you're here, we appreciate it greatly.
Never talk about Atemlos durch die Nacht, just don't.
We do not acknowledge the word Soccer.
You have to have a football team. Go with HSV for the most action.
Relax.
Have fun.

??? What's the matter with that song?

As for football, blegh.

border

I don't think I'd want to spend 2-4 years studying in a country where I don't speak the native language (even if the courses are in English).

I did a few months at a school in Paris and it feels kinda alienating and weird. It certainly gave me a lot of respect though for all the barely-fluent people who come to America for college.

Randam

I studied from 2009 till 2013 here and had to pay for it.. :(

right before I started they introduced semester fees and not long after I finished, they canceled them again. xD

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Baffles me that this is still a surprise to people on GAF.

Every thread concerning university tuition in the US, there is someone talking about how university is free in many EU countries.

If you're interested in this, check out Scandinavia, Austria, and other central and southern EU states.

Top Bottom