• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs |OT| - This Little Piggy Cried AAHHH All the Way to Hell

Cudder

Yeah you know, when you play the game you realize that they're going for something really different here just in terms of the mechanics of the monsters.

errrm, spoilers? I just completed that scene so I wasn't affected, but it would be cool to not read that prior to getting to that part,

Neiteio

OK, stuttering doesn't seem so bad now, maybe it's a delayed loading/streaming issue?

Just reached the first glowing door, in a dark hall now, think I'll quit to play some Puppeteer.

This is great so far, though. :)

U-R

Me and my friend played it together last night, it was scary, of course, not amnesia-scary but tense and deeply atmospheric.

I appreciated The Chinese Room much more than i did with Dear Esther, a "game" that fitted the medium "videogames" just as good as printing random images from a movie on paper makes a good comic. It retains the fake "i'm oh so smart, so i can pretend basic writing lessons don't apply to me" style, but this time it works on improving the horrific experience, and it's quite more interesting thanks to the morbid themes.

As a follow up to amnesia it doesn't fully deliver, but that's expected: Amnesia was pure audiovisual terrorism, while A Machine for Pigs feels more like a calmer and pretty take on the formula. Some omissions (madness effects) are baffling, but i didn't miss searching random puzzle items or the quite pointless tinderboxes/oil mechanics. I do find laudable that they went on their own way instead of producing a carbon copy of The Dark Descent, though. I'm definitely up for theirs (and Frictional's) next game.

Just finished it. Thought the game had terrible level design (just corridor after corridor) and the story was meh. Also didn't find the game scary at all. Just cheap jump scares all around and there was no atmosphere. Really shallow and disappointing.

There isn't that many jumpscares in the game to be fair

Dascu

I think the game plays with the player a little bit. I am certain some doorways appeared/disappeared after having passed by them. That some dead-ends are deliberate. And that some puzzles require you to do the wrong thing first.

I'd like TheChineseRoom to have a post-mortem or to discuss their way of developing this game. I'm not even saying anything about the actual, subjective, quality of this game, but I feel there is some clever design going on behind the scenes, that is maybe too subtle for its own good.

Or I may just be over-thinking things.

derFeef

I think the game plays with the player a little bit. I am certain some doorways appeared/disappeared after having passed by them. That some dead-ends are deliberate. And that some puzzles require you to do the wrong thing first.

I'd like TheChineseRoom to have a post-mortem or to discuss their way of developing this game. I'm not even saying anything about the actual, subjective, quality of this game, but I feel there is some clever design going on behind the scenes, that is maybe too subtle for its own good.

Or I may just be over-thinking things.

I was pretty certain that in the
trophy room the bird was in another corner on the way back
Freaked me out.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I absolutely noticed a hallway which
forced me through a few rooms in an L-shape and dropped me off back where I started, when I turned around the hallway was gone and everything in the rooms that led up to the L-shaped hallway had things missing or moved.

Was a brilliant mindfuck, that.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
My review, with some choice cut excerpts straight from the butcher.

Shortly after Mandus wakes he sits upright in a bed that is surrounded by a giant metal cage. All of the bedrooms in the house are like this. Now unless you come from some sort of weird house where its customary to engage your bedmate in Hell-in-a-Cell cage matches (and if so, how much is a room?) to see who gets the majority of the blanket on that cold London night, that should be an instant red flag to your brain.

One account by a character describing his teeth escaping his mouth during a sneeze and later trying to shove them back into his bloody gums made me want to pay visit to a mirror and make sure mine were all still there. Even the visual imagery is written poetically, with pigs buried in marked graves by the town chapel.

To put it into perspective, A Machine for Pigs is to the early Silent Hills as The Dark Decent was to Resident Evil. That’s not a bad thing on either count, mind you – the two games are just aimed at drastically different approaches. I can see a lot of fans being disappointed in the lack of scares or actual danger and I think it’s completely understandable if it’s what you’re after. Instead, A Machine for Pigs delights in basting you with a sauce made of your own blood and feces while casually singing corrupted versions of children’s bedtime songs.

In case you couldn't tell, I loved it. A bit flawed but also the kind of horror I want to see more of. Which is to say, thought out and creepily disturbing rather than unchecked jumps and craziness for the sake of crazy.

In case you couldn't tell, I loved it. A bit flawed but also the kind of horror I want to see more of. Which is to say, thought out and creepily disturbing rather than unchecked jumps and craziness for the sake of crazy.

I kind of liked the idea behind all this. The disturbing images, disturbing music, scenery even the text was disturbing. And people rush trough the game without reading the damn good notes and say story is shit etc.

Chinese Room didnt wanted to compete with Amnesia 1. Because they would clearly fail if they tried. So they did something different. And they did what they can do best. They should continue with making games like this.

Bioshock Infinite is like Amnesia AMfP : Less scary, more story, less complex gameplay. And everyone is like "OH GOTY". Hell even Gone Home got better reviews even trough its like Amnesia without the creepyness and without the length.

I dont understand all this shit. All these Artgames get 10/10 while this game gets 6/10 because it has Amnesia in the title.

Berto

In the end, I learned that this game really is Dear Esther: The Amnesia Version. If you're looking for a game that will scare the shit out of you, make you wonder why you're doing this to yourself and will keep you terrified throughout the entire experience, this isn't the game you're looking for. I am a massive, massive wimp when it comes to horror games and I finished this one without any trouble within 4.5 hours. A shame, really.
I dont know man... I'm in the area with the pistons and I'm scared shitless like I was in The Dark Descent. I have two screaming pigs running after me in a dark room and I don't know what to do. I had to take a break.

Chronoja

I don't know how people consider this story better than TDD (and the story in TDD wasn't exactly Shakespear either). I think people are mixing the concept and potential of the story with the story that actually took place, especially with how it was presented.

I have never seen so many horror cliches bundled into something that wasn't a parody. Like I said though, the concept of what MFP is great, it's incredibly dark, but it's hardly a "new" story about this kind of thing. It even becomes laughable at various times when you consider there are
invisible pigmen, with electric footsteps no less, running around
. At least in TDD we were strictly Lovecraftian, and with that it allows for whatever supernatural or cosmic horrors that it presents, whereas MFP seems to want to "horrify" you with the "reality" of a particular situation then ruins it with things like that. It just feels so goofy and badly done.
stuff like "compound X" induced so many eye rolls etc.

I didn't think much of Dear Esther either, but I was willing to give it a pass since it was trying this artful approach in a time where everyone was whining about shooters and sequels, but if The Chinese Room feels the need to ruin more games by turning them into linear corridors and removing the gameplay in favor of forced, relatively boring storytelling, then I would respectfully suggest that they consider switching to another industry.

AutumnRay

Banned
What I thought of the game:

Well, the game is cheap as hell and isn't meant to be some big event. So imo you didn't have the worst time ever. For me I will be playing this with a controller with max graphics and having a good time for a couple hours.

A piece of shit interactive novel for 2.50. Wow, that is just pretty insane. You were obviously expecting the world for 2 fucking dollars and 50 cents. Nice. We all do sometimes. I had a great time with Dear Esther. I think too many people honestly just don't have any clue what the hell they are getting into when they buy things.

gdt

2 hours in. Just about to enter the Piston area. Loving this. Not as purely scary as DD, but the atmosphere and mood is amazing. The sound design in this game is excellent.

but if The Chinese Room feels the need to ruin more games by turning them into linear corridors and removing the gameplay in favor of forced, relatively boring storytelling, then I would respectfully suggest that they consider switching to another industry.

Aw come on, that's completely unfair towards them. They were given an opportunity by Frictional to do another Amnesia game and they took it, they didn't set out to purposefully ruin anything and it's an extremely hard task to do a sequel to such a beloved game in such a hard genre while still trying to put their stamp on it.

The story is actually really good when you get into the nitty gritty of it and analyse it a bit more, the problem is the game side of things is almost non existent.

The biggest problem this game has is having Amnesia in the title and everyone as a byproduct of that just comparing it to the original game. If they released it just as a game called "A Machine for Pigs" people wouldn't have been so disappointed. People set their expectations too high

Chronoja

Aw come on, that's completely unfair towards them. They were given an opportunity by Frictional to do another Amnesia game and they took it, they didn't set out to purposefully ruin anything and it's an extremely hard task to do a sequel to such a beloved game in such a hard genre while still trying to put their stamp on it.

The story is actually really good when you get into the nitty gritty of it and analyse it a bit more, the problem is the game side of things is almost non existent.

The biggest problem this game has is having Amnesia in the title and everyone as a byproduct of that just comparing it to the original game. If they released it just as a game called "A Machine for Pigs" people wouldn't have been so disappointed. People set their expectations too high

What they've done with MFP is display that they don't respect the gameplay behind a game and that they believe that their own storytelling is good enough to supplant it. I said I was willing to give Dear Esther a pass, even though I consider it pretty much a "non game" (and yes, I knew exactly what it was going in. In terms of narrative based gameplay I consider "The Stanley Parable" to be king in that realm).

So with that in mind, if they think that their storytelling is so good that it replaces most excuses for gameplay then this is the wrong medium for them. Even if I considered the story to be good, the method of conveying it to the player is incredibly rote, finding notes everywhere that just happen to be conveniently relevant, or "voxophones" in the oddest places containing dialogue between people that have you thinking "why the hell did people record this particular segment of conversation"
like that odd recording just sitting in some alcove in the wonderfully cliche sewer level
. I'll grant you this is a problem shared by many games, but it is particularly troubling when it is present in a game where gameplay features have been removed in favor of supposedly superior storytelling.

I agree with you, to make a follow up to Amnesia would have been no easy task, but in this instance I feel the Amnesia title is giving it a greater impression than it would otherwise. Had this just been called "A Machine for Pigs" I get the feeling people would have no problems calling it out on how bad it actually is.

What they've done with MFP is display that they don't respect the gameplay behind a game and that they believe that their own storytelling is good enough to supplant it. I said I was willing to give Dear Esther a pass, even though I consider it pretty much a "non game" (and yes, I knew exactly what it was going in. In terms of narrative based gameplay I consider "The Stanley Parable" to be king in that realm).

So with that in mind, if they think that their storytelling is so good that it replaces most excuses for gameplay then this is the wrong medium for them. Even if I considered the story to be good, the method of conveying it to the player is incredibly rote, finding notes everywhere that just happen to be conveniently relevant, or "voxophones" in the oddest places containing dialogue between people that have you thinking "why the hell did people record this particular segment of conversation"
like that odd recording just sitting in some alcove in the wonderfully cliche sewer level
. I'll grant you this is a problem shared by many games, but it is particularly troubling when it is present in a game where gameplay features have been removed in favor of supposedly superior storytelling.

I agree with you, to make a follow up to Amnesia would have been no easy task, but in this instance I feel the Amnesia title is giving it a greater impression than it would otherwise. Had this just been called "A Machine for Pigs" I get the feeling people would have no problems calling it out on how bad it actually is.

A big reason for all the stuff being there is
because Mandus is insane and it's not actually there. They're memories he's recounting at different parts of the game. That's why everything is so conveniently placed. That's why it's so weird that the voxophone is just sitting there weirdly completely out of place. Didn't you suspect that when you saw the same pig mask following you around?

I really think people should understand something a bit more before completely ripping it apart like that. That's why I said the story is deeper than what it might seem at first

Chronoja

A big reason for all the stuff being there is
because Mandus is insane and it's not actually there. They're memories he's recounting at different parts of the game. That's why everything is so conveniently placed. That's why it's so weird that the voxophone is just sitting there weirdly completely out of place. Didn't you suspect that when you saw the same pig mask following you around?

I really think people should understand something a bit more before completely ripping it apart like that. That's why I said the story is deeper than what it might seem at first

You miss the point. The reasons for the notes and voxophones being there is irrelevant, it's that they are a horribly mundane way of telling the story they want to tell. From a gameplay perspective walking around occasionally finding these little nuggets of story adds up to be a very boring experience if you aren't finding the story to be completely engaging at every step along the way. In that case these little things just feel goofy and out of place
even if the explanation is that the person is a bit crazy

That is why I meant in regards to superior storytelling. If they want to make sure that the strength of their story is being told as best as it can be in a video game medium, they need to make the methods of uncovering that story magnitudes more interesting, otherwise, all these little nuggets just look like, as I mentioned, conveniently placed notes and oddly placed voxophones.

I will admit though I probably have ripped into it a little too much. I'll mull it over a bit more before posting further.

MEsoJD

Banned
Just finished the game and I thought it was great! Though I loved the Dear Esther. The story and world was very interesting. I wasn't crazy about the first so maybe that's why I'm not disappointed as some of the fans.

FINALBOSS

Banned
Just beat it and loved it. I also enjoyed Dear Esther for what it was if that made any difference.

I enjoyed this much more than Outlast (which, to be honest, I haven't gone far in at all due to the corny stealth AI).

The puzzles were weak sauce, but aside from that it was great.

The Chinese Room are A+ top notch.

I'm super looking forward to their PS4 title now big time.

So how many encounters with enemies are there, total ? Man, unless my memories are messing with me, I'd say they could be counted on the fingers of one hand only...

Goddamn this game is disappointing. It bears the name "Amnesia"; it should have been better.

Dascu

So how many encounters with enemies are there, total ? Man, unless my memories are messing with me, I'd say they could be counted on the fingers of one hand only...

Goddamn this game is disappointing. It bears the name "Amnesia"; it should have been better.
For what it's worth, I can't think of many more in the original.

For what it's worth, I can't think of many more in the original.

Oh I can. There are quite a bit more enemies in the original game. There is a definite lack of enemy encounters in Amnesia 2. On top of that, by the end of the game, it had lost its horror aesthetic, even in the presence of enemies.

It's just weird how they messed things up. It's as Maragidyne said: it's as if The Chinese Room was so in love with their story that at some point, they forgot that they were making a video game.

sigh

AutumnRay

Banned
I eventually started examining them from close-by and ran away when I got bored. I got two of them to follow me towards a small corridor, but they blocked each others path and got stuck there. Kind of screwed around for a while there and went back to strolling through the game. Besides, they usually follow you for like five seconds and then lose interest anyway. Their AI is surprisingly terrible, they're barely aggressive, they're more sad than they are scary and they aren't that strong. Of course, people experience horror in different ways, but it ended up not living up to its predecessor at all for me.

A critically acclaimed interactive novel that people couldn't stop talking about for $2,50. But yes, so? Price has nothing to do with quality. I've played free games (Cave Story used to be free and Papers Please was downloadable from the guy's site) that ended up being excellent games. Dear Esther, despite costing money, ended up being little more than a watch-but-don't touch, press-w-t-play novel with intentionally obtuse storytelling. I don't have anything against Dear Esther, by the way. It was an experiment and it was still an experience worth having anyway, despite the ''game'' not making any use of the medium its in and being pretty crappy overall. It was also pretty cheap, so I just forgot about it and ignored the dev team.

The reason why I'm behaving this way now is because I'm irritated that they fucked up one of the very, very few new IP's that actually managed to scare me this gen. Amnesia TDD was incredible and I went into this game hoping to get those same feelings of extreme dread again. When I heard thechineseroom were making it and it would differ greatly from the original, I immediately supported the idea of change. Just didn't expect a Dear Esther: The Amnesia Edition. Of course, this is all my opinion and you're free to disagree.

Completely ignoring the devs from this point on, no matter what they're working on. They remind me of David Cage for some reason. Tons of passion and heart for what they do, but they seem to have wandered into the wrong industry.

I guess I see your point and this game was more expensive but I wasn't planning on getting this for anything but like 5 bucks at most. I guess people who paid 20 have some concerns that seem legit.

Also, I need to finish Amnesia and Black Plague.

Dascu

There were far more enemies in TDD in general and every single one of those enemies were far more threatening, aggressive, faster and powerful than their Machine for Pigs counterparts.
Yeah, TDD had much better enemy encounters. But in pure quantity terms, it's not a big gap. Especially seeing how AMFP is decent bit shorter.

I understand the disappointment. This feels more like a pretty custom scenario than an actual sequel that builds on its predecessor, expands and improves it.

big_z

finished it tonight, I thought it started strong but by half way it was a trudge. towards the end I was rushing through the areas because the game had lost its appeal and there's little sense of horror once you figure out how simple the game design is. I think The Chinese Room is a bit too in love with their story telling, there's some good meat in there sure but also a lot of by-product. not a good horror game or that great of a game for that matter.

Jackpot

Banned
It also didn't help that the range of MFP's enemies was just a few meters compared to the extensive patrol paths (and detection range) of DD's.

nynt9

What I thought of the game:

Words cannot express how disappointed I was with this game. What needed to be said was already said in the quoted post, but I didn't even think the story was that impressive, as most of it was something you could figure out from the first few notes you read and the first few phone conversations.

Also, to those who said that the story is great, can you really explain the story of the game to me? A lot of things were left vague and some plot threads were dropped, and several notes were downright contradicting each other. I didn't think the writing was that great. Going even further, and this was kind of a problem with the first game too, I really dislike the "story is entirely told by notes full of exposition that you find lying around" way of storytelling. When that happens it makes me feel like the devs wrote a story on paper, made a game, then crammed the story in there without actually putting too much thought into how to make the story an actual part of the game.

Yeah, TDD had much better enemy encounters. But in pure quantity terms, it's not a big gap.

I think it is a big gap. As was said, AMFP had only
four
enemies that were a legitimate threat. TDD had at least three times that. There were also several sections in TDD where there were multiple enemies present, whereas this happened once in AMFP, and it's a super small area.

Yeah, this game is utterly disappointing. I had broken my rule of never preordering games for the first time in years. I guess that'll serve me right.

edit: I mean, christ, remember the part in TDD where you're searching for an item and
you have to open a door and BAM there's an enemy right there in your fucking face !?
There is nothing like that in AMFP.

Fuck this game. I am so pissed right now.

sam27368

Banned
I think it is a big gap. As was said, AMFP had only
four
enemies that were a legitimate threat. TDD had at least three times that. There were also several sections in TDD where there were multiple enemies present, whereas this happened once in AMFP, and it's a super small area.

Yeah, this game is utterly disappointing. I had broken my rule of never preordering games for the first time in years. I guess that'll serve me right.

edit: I mean, christ, remember the part in TDD where you're searching for an item and
you have to open a door and BAM there's an enemy right there in your fucking face !?
There is nothing like that in AMFP.

Fuck this game. I am so pissed right now.
So you're writing off a game because it doesn't have ridiculously obvious jump scares? Go play something with less soul then.

void666

Banned
TDD had more enemies but after the first few encounters they were more of an annoyance than a threat or something to be scared of. By the end of the game i was like "Damn, here comes that ugly SoB again."

Dascu

So you're writing off a game because it doesn't have ridiculously obvious jump scares? Go play something with less soul then.

No, he has a point. There was a lot less creativity in the actual enemy encounters. For instance, TDD also had some moments where you need to distract enemies with food or by throwing rocks. There is some actual depth and strategy involved. AMFP's enemies are basically just incentives to run away.

TDD had more enemies but after the first few encounters they were more of an annoyance than a threat or something to be scared of. By the end of the game i was like "Damn, here comes that ugly SoB again."

This. I came to TDD a few years late, but when I played it I ended up being more annoyed by the monsters in that game than scared of them. Especially once you see what they look like up close. They sucked ALL the tension out of the original game and made what were some really stunningly spooky environments things you simply had to run past.

I've been thinking about this on and off ever since I finished the original game, since so many people loved that aspect of it, found it so terrifying, and I can't put my finger on why I didn't.

I only just started AMFP last night, and have really enjoyed these early moments.

Chronoja

Now, count how many times an "enemy" or ghost child fleets past the end of a corridor before disappearing, taking with it every potential payoff in horror the game may have had. You will be amazed at the discrepancy between that number and the number of actual enemy encounters. So much potential squandered on lazy design.

I'm writing it off because not only was the main selling point of its predecessor absent from this game, but it managed to completely strip out any gameplay mechanics, to the point where the game had you hold down W, open doors and pick up notes on the floor. That's it. That's what the player does in this game. A Machine for Pigs is the The Walking Dead of horror games.

And on top of that, The Chinese Room straight-up lied to us with false advertising ! Remember the first trailer that we got last year ? This one ? Notice how it presents the viewer a very familiar scene of the player hiding as the monster was destroying the door and searching for him ?

WHERE THE FUCK WAS THAT ?? CUZ I DIDN'T SEE IT NOWHERE IN THE GAME.

edit: I need to chill, but goddamn. This has got to be the most disappointing thing this year. It beats out the Mass Effect 3 fiasco from last year. Man. I really hope that Frictional acknowledges, silently or not, the game's faults and makes sure their next game isn't like that.

Kouriozan

You can also see in the video that the sanity effects was still there (wall bowing).
But I guess that's why this game was delayed for almost a year, it needed time to remove gameplay features.

You can also see in the video that the sanity effects was still there (wall bowing).
But I guess that's why this game was delayed for almost a year, it needed time to remove gameplay features.

Yeah, but to me, the wrongness in this trailer goes beyond the content of what's being presented. The scene at the end of the video is the only gameplay moment in it (and if I recall, probably the only thing we got before the game launched). What it says to the viewer is very comforting: "Hey, remember Amnesia ? This is more Amnesia but with seemingly more terrifying monsters which happen to be humanoïd pigs." That's what the trailer was telling us last year. At least to me; that's what I got from it. I was extremely excited.

And now I realize I was lied to.

This game should not have been called "Amnesia". This should have been its own stand-alone thing made by the Dear Esther guys and marketed as such. People would have still been excited as The Chinese Room has its fanbase and they would not have all flocked to the game with the same expectations, only to be let down.

Neiteio

I'm writing it off because not only was the main selling point of its predecessor absent from this game, but it managed to completely strip out any gameplay mechanics, to the point where the game had you hold down W, open doors and pick up notes on the floor. That's it. That's what the player does in this game. A Machine for Pigs is the The Walking Dead of horror games.

And on top of that, The Chinese Room straight-up lied to us with false advertising ! Remember the first trailer that we got last year ? This one ? Notice how it presents the viewer a very familiar scene of the player hiding as the monster was destroying the door and searching for him ?

edit: I need to chill, but goddamn. This has got to be the most disappointing thing this year. It beats out the Mass Effect 3 fiasco from last year. Man. I really hope that Frictional acknowledges, silently or not, the game's faults and makes sure their next game isn't like that.
Oh wow, the pig-man hunting you isn't in the final game? I've only played through the first area so far, I was looking forward to that. :-\

ArjanN

A Machine for Pigs is the The Walking Dead of horror games.

I find it pretty funny you meant this as an negative.

Oh wow, the pig-man hunting you isn't in the final game? I've only played through the first area so far, I was looking forward to that. :-\

He is actually.

I can't say I agree with the criticism at all. The Chinese Room clearly made their own spin on what an Amnesia game is, playing to their strengths as a developer. Which I actually find more interesting than a typical more of the same sequel.

Neiteio

I find it pretty funny you meant this as an negative.
He's probably like me and finds TWD incredibly boring. (The game, not the show)

He is actually.

I can't say I agree with the criticism at all. The Chinese Room clearly made their own spin on what an Amnesia game is, playing to their strengths as a developer. Which I actually find more interesting than a typical more of the same sequel.
OK, cool. :) I like what I've played so far -- it's still creepy/tense enough that I find myself closing doors behind me, keeping my back to the wall, not using my lantern much and peeking around corners. That's what makes it "Amnesia" to me, this sense that there's something more to the world and whatever it is, it ain't friendly.

Top Bottom