• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amy Hennig: God Bless Sony for Supporting AAA Single Player; I Don’t Fault EA for Project Ragtag

CitizenX

Banned
Currently playing Metro Last Light and knowing these type of game structures are not supported is infuriating. im so tired of open world, bad story telling, same game play loop, sad. Thank god indie devs know whats up.

GreyHorace

God bless Sony for supporting these kinds of games because they’re terrifying to make. They’re very expensive, and it doesn’t suit the model of having a massive open world or hours and hours of gameplay or running a live service, which is what everybody is shooting for these days.

I don't get how single player and open world can't be the same thing. The Witcher 3 and Ghost of Tsushima proved you can have an open world that can be single player focused and not have multiplayer as a crutch like with Grand Theft Auto 5 or Red Dead Redemption 2.

Azurro

Banned
I wish she gets re-hired by some Sony studio... Maybe to work on the next Uncharted game(s).

It would be amazing if Sony hires her back for Naughty Dog and Neil got kicked to the curb. The only problem is that he filled the studio with ideologues, so, maybe it wouldn't be enough.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Not particularly impressed with Hennig or Sonys style of games. They ape books/movies, and objectively do a worse job. The magic of gaming comes from this thing...

gamepad-512.png

Sony and Hennig tell you to put that thing down and watch an inferior impression of Hollywood far too often.

Teslerum

Not particularly impressed with Hennig or Sonys style of games. They ape books/movies, and objectively do a worse job. The magic of gaming comes from this thing...

Sony and Hennig tell you to put that thing down and watch an inferior impression of Hollywood far too often.

There's a place for both. Also Hennig does an amazing job in general. The Legacy of Kain series is legendary for a reason and Uncharted captured a lot of the Indiana Jones spirit in video game form. I generally agree that the direction its heading is too much focused on streamlining gameplay elements, but let's see what the future holds.

marcincz

It would be amazing if Sony hires her back for Naughty Dog and Neil got kicked to the curb. The only problem is that he filled the studio with ideologues, so, maybe it wouldn't be enough.
I am afraid it is currently impossible. Drunkman is vice president of NG.

GrayFoxPL

Hope she gets to work on Soul Reaver or Blood Omen remake one day.

She was a smart and rational voice in Naughy Dog. Something the company is clearly lacking now.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Aren't most of Sony's SP games "massive open worlds" with "hours and hours of gameplay"?

Or does she just mean TLOU?

Personally love Sony's support of open world games... they are by far one of the biggest producers of these games... I think they could be improved if they spent less on narrative and more on some aspects of gameplay/engines, but they are still pretty great.

Last edited:

JonnyMP3

Surely another Sony World Wide Studio could take her?
Insomniac, Guerilla Games, Sucker Punch, Santa Monica or Bend could make something narrative driven with her directing.

Camreezie

Has she shipped a game in the last decade? They should give her a team that Sony San Diego working on Uncharted would probably be a good fit

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

gamepad-512.png

tenor.gif

She is one of the framers/designers for Legacy of Kain series of games.

Last edited:

Dargor

Aren't most of Sony's SP games "massive open worlds" with "hours and hours of gameplay"?

Personally love Sony's support of open world games... they are by far one of the biggest producers of these games... I think they could be improved if they spent less on narrative and more on some aspects of gameplay/engines, but they are still pretty great.

No, they aren't.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
She is the director of every single one she was involved in. (Soul Reaver, Soul Reaver 2 and Defiance.) (Well she technically was involved in Blood Omen too, though her role there is a bit nebolous)

I believe she was a designer on the first game.

Sony's strategy works great for them due to the synergy that it creates with their film and television business.
All their most popular properties can easily work in those formats as well.

Batiman

Banned
I love single player games but hate how the industry is taking this naughty dog cinematic approach for everything. It feels like it takes the gaming out of the games. Something like GOW is perfect balance. Don’t care much about the rest of highly praised sp PS4 games this gen. Spider-Man was decent but give me more old school Sony. I enjoyed ratchet more than all of them besides GOW.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
No, they aren't.
I guess I shouldn't say "most"...Infamous, Spiderman, Days Gone, Ghosts of Tsushima, Horizon Zero Dawn.. God of War partially moved that direction... Bloodborne sort of is.

At the very least it's a high percentage of their games; certainly a high percentage of their most popular games are large open worlds that offer a ton of hours of playtime.

Bergoglio

Problem is they are all the same.

They're stuck since 2010.

PresetError

Neophyte
AAA single player games not monetized to death exist only to sell hardware. In the "Netflix of gaming" and "play on any device" future they have no reason to exist.

Last edited:

CitizenX

Banned

It is really true what they say about the left, they will eat their own they have no honor or code whatsoever. If you dont knnow what i mean, AH is in the same mind hive as ND

MrS

Banned
It would be a waste of talent because Amy makes garbage games and Neil makes masterpieces.

JonnyMP3

Everyone complaining about "Cinematic" games like they're a bad thing and that somehow Naughty Dog and Drunkmann are the big bastion of Cinematic games.....

Do none of you realise that this is all Hideo Kojima's fault? That when it comes to games as films, he's literally the Orson Welles, Stanley Kubrick and Alfred Hitchcock all rolled into one.
Metal Gear Solid 4 was hours and hours of in game cutscenes!

sainraja

gamepad-512.png

You know that is not quite how it is. Single player games have always used cutscenes to move the player forward in a game and with the improvement of technology developers have been able to blend that aspect together a little better than before. Most of Sony's games have the right balance between gameplay and story-telling. I don't think this is a fair criticism at all.

I am going to name a series from the PS1 era that had a story and also had cutscenes to show the story aspects (Tenchu 1/2). Those are "inferior" impression of Hollywood using your logic. What aspect would change that for you? Making it level based (like Tenchu 1/2)? Well, The Last of Us: Part 2 did that, it broke the story into chapters and categorized them into 'Days'. Prince of Persia: Sands of Time was also a linear game with an interesting story that had some of it happen during the gameplay sections and cutscenes, is that also a movie?

What is the distinction for you, from a movie game and a 'normal' game? What do you define as a 'normal' game?

Why are you being a little reasonable by saying they are movies, why not go to the very extreme and simply say button press simulators? Oh wait, that's pretty much all of gaming!

Last edited:

Teslerum

It is really true what they say about the left, they will eat their own they have no honor or code whatsoever. If you dont knnow what i mean, AH is in the same mind hive as ND

What? Where do you get that from?

Edit: Nevermind, seems to have caught the mindvirus.

Last edited:

Woggleman

If you look at her twitter she is just as much of a lefty as Neil Druckmann is. From what I hear they actually parted on amicable terms. To a lot of people though she is just a club they can use to beat him with.

Teslerum

If you look at her twitter she is just as much of a lefty as Neil Druckmann is. From what I hear they actually parted on amicable terms. To a lot of people though she is just a club they can use to beat him with.

I still doubt it was fully amicable, but I have read her twitter now. Yep, went full mindvirus and seems to have gotten fully converted. Shame, as she absolutly was one of the reasonable voices during GG.

Jokerevo

Banned
It has been sad to watch the decline of the single player experience over the past decade or so. Luckily I believe Sony and Nintendo will never forget the importance of quality first party titles driving system sales so I don't think we ever have to worry about single player games going away completely, but they will probably become more scarce unless something drastically changes within the industry

Actually I think they're going to increase because of the changes the SSD brings to work flow. Now even the smaller indies can build their worlds faster and therefore focus more on the things they really want to build and if the indies can scale this fast can you imagine what 1st party will get up to.

Azurro

Banned

Nah, I just went and looked. She has some blm stuff, but nothing crazy. She's a regular leftie, or at least it seems that way. Druckmann is straight up insane. I'd much rather have her heading Naughty Dog than Sliding Gendered Neil.

Top Bottom