• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amy Hennig has left Naughty Dog [confirmed]

Status
Not open for further replies.
That this news hasn't immediately been followed up with word of her moving to another Sony studio is particularly telling.

Seems that if she was forced out she doesn't feel Sony AS A WHOLE had her back and doesn't feel comfortable staying anywhere in their corporate culture.

If this were just internal to Naughty Dog I'd have expected Sony to have bent over backwards to get her working elsewhere in their studio structure. So either they didn't - meaning they're fools - or she didn't want to be at Sony anymore, period.
Oh, surely.

No, really, how the fuck did you come to this conclusion?

Gorillaz

TLOU just came out last year. 2015 would be 2 years.

Uncharted 4 has been in "production" since the end of Uncharted 3. It will make it 4 years if it's 2015.

Which leaves us with a few "possible" things

she left in the middle of writing it
She left after writing it
Or they are just starting to write UC4

ITT:
jump-to-conclusions-mat.jpg

yep.

That this news hasn't immediately been followed up with word of her moving to another Sony studio is particularly telling.

Seems that if she was forced out she doesn't feel Sony AS A WHOLE had her back and doesn't feel comfortable staying anywhere in their corporate culture.

If this were just internal to Naughty Dog I'd have expected Sony to have bent over backwards to get her working elsewhere in their studio structure. So either they didn't - meaning they're fools - or she didn't want to be at Sony anymore, period.

You just can't wait can you?

FTF

WTF!?!? Only read the op but had this been verified by multiple sources???

Edit: shit, just read the ign article stating confirmed by Sony. That's a damn shame and first we've heard of anything negative come out of ND in a long time. Hopefully the speculation of being forced out is incorrect and she left on her own fruition...though not sure why she would :/

btkadams

Hahaha what??? How did you get to that conclusion from what little is known?

Edit: oh, didn't notice the username.

Biker19

Banned
If this is confirmed then it is a major loss for Naughty Dog and the idiotic fanboys trying to downplay her amazing work over the last decade are an embarrassment to this forum.

Well, here's one of them (though it's in a different gaming messageboard in which you need an account to view it), the OP of his thread himself:

Link.

Minions

Bruce Straley was Uncharted 2's game director.

Correct, Niel was the lead designer

Druckmann began his work in the industry as an intern at Naughty Dog in 2004, and later starting as a programmer on Jak 3 and Jak X: Combat Racing. He went on to the design team with Uncharted: Drake's Fortune and was lead designer for Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

Wow, forced out? That sucks. IIRC from the bonus footage in UC2, she was a huge part of that game. I hope Sony doesn't let somebody that talented leave the WWS.

Vire

Well this fucking blows. A key component of why the Uncharted games were so great is now gone...

Definitely a lot of turmoil within Sony WWS these days. :/

I think some people are confused. According to wikipedia, here's the directors of ND's PS3 games:
UC1: Director: Amy Hennig
UC2: Creative Director: Hennig. Game Director: Bruce Straley
UC3: Creative: Hennig. Game: Justin Richmond
TLoU: Creative: Neil Druckmann. Game: Straley

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

Even for you, this is an absolutely crazy leap of logic.

tumblr_inline_mgfn3oCQX41qgptc4.gif

Take your melodramatic fanfiction elsewhere, please. Every one of your posts in this thread, I swear...

LastNac

There's still plenty of game designers at ND and I still have serious doubts about the other two being involved with Uncharted 4 much at all.
RoboPlato, I'm worried.

It went from my most anticipated anything to something that might have been better of not releasing.

Will it still be a great title? Probably, but it won't be the kind of experience I wanted out of it.

I dont want to build up all this hype to be disappointed by ND again. Honestly, TLoU is a great game, but I was consistently let down until I got to Fall.

KoopaTheCasual

Oh jeez. Not a good week for Sony WWS. Hope she lands on her feet, and really curious about what went down.

Wut.

I'm almost positive you've been on a tag fishing crusade this past month with all your hyperbole and assumptions.

def sim

Square Enix should hire her.
If there's one company that desperately needs a writer it's SE.

She did say she wanted to be the one to reboot Tomb Raider.

You know, I might have [stayed with Crystal Dynamics to work on Tomb Raider], so I’m glad I didn’t, which is a strange answer – I don’t want to sound critical. It’s just that I’m so happy that I joined Naughty Dog, and what I’ve been able to do here and the people I’ve been able to work with.

What you expect them to line up a job within a few hours?

Pyccko

Wow, did not expect to come home to news like this. That's a pretty terrible loss for ND, and I wish her all the best wherever she ends up. Hopefully there was more behind her leaving than just shitty office politics, because I don't know if I'd care to support that kind of prickish bullshit. Here's hoping more info comes out.

Kuro

you are having the biggest overreaction in this thread. Now you're writing fanfiction about this?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
RoboPlato, I'm worried.

It went from my most anticipated anything to something that might have been better of not releasing.

Will it still be a great title? Probably, but it won't be the kind of experience I wanted out of it.

I dont want to build up all this hype to be disappointed by ND again. Honestly, TLoU was is a great game, but I was consistently let down until I got to Fall.

She still wrote it. She still worked closely with the people that are still working on it. I loved her influence on the series as well, I really did, but this is more likely something related to farther in the studios future than Uncharted 4. The studio still has a lot of talent, some of which just recently joined in their hiring spree last year and they could have little genius moments like some of the ones you mentioned. I just hope she finds a good place to go after this and that her departure wasn't as bitter as the article made it sound.

Sad that we're getting fantastic news of Sony's success with the PS4 in sales, but hearing shitty things about their first party studio staff.

Hopefully, this is just the necessary politics and business of Sony turning the ship around.

chadskin

yd4wlZF.jpg

Amy has been one of my favourite creators for awhile now...reading the thread title genuinely stunned me.

Somebody needs to snatch her up asap.

Squire

Banned
She's not staying with the company. Somy didn't even bother to hint that that's at all bring considered in their (very cold) statement, so you may as well rule that out.

Besides, that'd be less than a lateral move anyway, since ND is already the gem in Sony's portfolio of studios.

Phlebas

Banned
Uncharted 4 has been in "production" since the end of Uncharted 3. It will make it 4 years if it's 2015.

Which leaves us with a few "possible" things

she left in the middle of writing it
She left after writing it
Or they are just starting to write UC4

I hope it's option 3.

UC4 will be better because of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom