• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

An extensive look at the first year of the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One - Your opinion?

Georome

I bought both systems day one, and I am also a PC gamer. I've been mostly satisfied with both systems, but there are still some standout features I'm waiting for.

PS4: Still waiting on suspend/resume.

Xbox One: Still waiting on screenshot capablities.

I haven't been disappointed with my Xbox One, primarily because I upgraded for the general console usability/media experience as well, and not only for new games.

Taking all that into account, it's been a worthwhile year. I have a huge 360/PC/PS3 backlog that I keep ignoring because it's so damn convenient to just do everything on the Xbox One, lol. I really wish they'd release a version that somehow had full 360 compatibility, even if it costs a lot more...

Drive Club, Sunset Overdrive, D4, Oddworld, First Light, Wolfy, Shadow of Mordor, Watch Dogs, Alien Isolation, Horizon 2 (even it does get a little boring after a while), Chariot, Velocity 2X, Dead Rising 3, Knack, Ryse, Resogun, Sixty Second Shooter, Crimson Dragon, Valiant Hearts, Strider, Lococycle all made this an incredible first year.

Sure the consoles have a lot way to go in terms of offering features and I'm pretty bitter of the lack of screenshots on X1, but the games man, the games were some of he best I've played in quite a while and next year is already shaping up to be even more insane.

JCX

PS4 was slightly better than expected. I bought it for inFamous SS, which was great. Even got DLC (underwhelming, but still fun). Didn't expect to play Destiny, but had a lot of fun with the Alpha/beta, which likely detracted from my overall enjoyment of the final product.

Tomorrow Children alpha was really fun, and a great sign of things to come next year.

I've learned not to expect much from the first year of a console.

Great year.

Diablo 3
Binding of Isaac
CoD Extinction Mode
Warframe
Destiny
Dragon Age
Infamous
CoD:AW
Resogun
Game streams
Game videos
Shareplay
Vita remote play
Auto-downloads/uploads
Preloads

Pumped for 5+ years of this.

damn, thats some work you did there op thanks.

gotta say im good, ive never spent so much money in such a short time and maybe cuz im getting older but i do appreciate the superior version of a game so it doesnt bother me buying cross gen titles or remasters/ports from last gen. i have so many games right now that i dont know where to start (like FC4 and DAI) or some that i just could play a bit before jumping into something different (SoM).

even if there were only remasters/ports or crossgen multiplats i still will take my ps4 anyday because nothing beats the quickness im playing in seconds or when im installing shit or when i boot up a game. seriously the only disappointment i have on GTA is that it takes ~50secs or so to SP mode lol

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
That's a really great list of games. I'm overwhelmed as it is, with nowhere near the time to play what I have let alone what I still want.

Nephtes

Own both PS4, Xbox One, and a gaming PC.

It's been a pretty good year.
Titanfall
Forza 5
Killer Instinct
And Destiny
Have all gotten regular rotation in my Xbox One

My PS4 got some use out of The Last of Us, but mostly sits dusty until Bloodborne next year. I don't blame the system, I just happen to live in a very Xbox heavy region, so all my friends haves persuaded me to Microsoft's camp. The more I use the Xbox One, the more I like it (though this probably has to do with all the improvements they've made over the year to the OS...)

Last year I was against digital games, now I'm all digital. Switching between Netflix, TV, and games without needing to change a disc has been surprisingly (and sadly) liberating. Getting frustrated in one game and yelling at the Xbox "Go to Killer Instinct" is very cathartic.

Also Sunset Overdrive was a blast while the fun lasted.

All that said, Halo MCC, AC Unity (didn't buy), and Watch_Dogs have been huge let downs. Destiny to a lesser degree, but I keep coming back.

Edit: Oh, and my PC has largely fallen out of use because I sit in front of one all day, designing software and coding things for work. The last thing I want to do at night is sit in front of my PC at a desk.

Looks like a solid year but no new IP that really stands out like Mass effect or Bioshock did last gen.

Still alot better than the Wii u first year.

Anjin M

This feels weird to type, but Destiny made my first year of PS4 ownership for me. I really hope the sequel is better, but I played the hell out of that game anyway. That plus all of the PS+ releases and I've been a happy with my choice.

grumble

Interesting how each generation reduces their risk. Few new ips, lots of sequels, ports and remakes. I understand the business decision, but it makes the console less than compelling. This makes it worse as there are fewer real next gen experiences and when a couple are disappointing it sucks more. And the issue with cost arises there too; games become focus tested until they lose their personality and gamers just get bored of their options.

Overall not a great generation so far. Ps2 was better. So was ps1. Wii U is actually not bad in that it has a number of really great games and is the best console based on current library, but the future is in doubt.

What the industry should so is invest more in mega-indie titles. That is where the creativity is, and if they are too small to justify a retail release then bundle them as a three pack and release a disk. Some great titles have come from that space.

I found this a really good year, being an Xbox One owner, and 2015 already looks like it will top it. I wish I had a Wii U as well, but I can't afford it now, and besides, I think it's still too expensive considering I can't even find enough time to play all the interesting Xbox games. Apart from a few indies and perhaps Infamous, there's nothing on PS4 that would make me want that console for the time being, but 2015 also looks great for the system.

I really like how this generation has started.

What the industry should so is invest more in mega-indie titles. That is where the creativity is, and if they are too small to justify a retail release then bundle them as a three pack and release a disk. Some great titles have come from that space.

I've made the comparison before, but if the games industry is so desperate to be like Hollywood, maybe they could take a few pointers from Hollywood and do things like take a proven successful indie and put them in charge of a funded AAA internal studio for a year and see what comes out of it.

rav

SO MANY GAMES TO PLAY!
Good year in my opinion, of the problems I could be having, I think this is a good one. (I picked up ps4+xb1 at launch, and a wiiu this year.)

Astery

seeing the list, yep 2014 is mostly a bore fest on the Sony and MS side of things for me. remasters of a relatively new game getting the top score..I've already played them before. 2015 is however where things start to get better.

wii u definitely wins 2014 with the best exclusives (imo), or pc considering almost everything on the list is on pc as well

This thread just made me realize how excited I am for the Witcher 3 coming on consoles next February with the lead PC platform.

Just finished the Witcher 2 recently on the 360 and it was fantastic!

I'm also buying the sunset overrdrive bundle on Friday so that should also be interesting.

kyser73

I've had a ball with my PS4 over the last 12 months.

As I don't really game on PC, lots of the indie ports have been great fun.

I've thoroughly enjoyed the TR:DE, TLOU:R and GTAV remasters.

DC - despite its troubles - is a supreme racing game. It has been a long, long time since I've been arsed to shave 000ths of seconds off lap times.

Can't imagine how good 2015 is going to be though. Or how painful on my wallet. I might have to go back to trading games in!

I adore my PS4 and Wii U equally and couldn't be happier. This is the gen I think that can finally deliver the experiences I could only imagine in previous gens.

Look at all those games! Too many for me to get to enjoy all of them. Just not enough time and I play quite a bit.

Love my PS4, had it since day one and it has served its purpose of giving me good gaming fun.

Don't have an X1 yet but plan on getting one before too long.

Such a great year aside from the embarrassing botched releases for both consoles IMO.

If its just going to get better from here, I am a happy man.

Usobuko

Banned
The two consoles as a whole are underwhelming. I'm only interested with Sunset Overdrive which seems to be heading to PC eventually and Guilty Gear Xrd while only available on PS platform is still a cross gen game on a platform I already own. Nintendo and Platinum did deliver but I am still feeling the void of mid-tier games on consoles.

gamerMan

The year went as expected. For the most part the graphics and gameplay didn't impress me. The games certainly look better. Most of the games look like last gen games with better IQ. There was no defining game.

It is to be expected since it is a transitional year. Remakes are fine but please no more remakes of 1 year old games. Games have gotten exponentially harder to make. It looks like developers are taking longer and longer to make games. Some games feel rushed with inconsistent frame rates and a lot of bugs.

For me, there is no must have game on either platform. There were two games that stood out the most for me. My favorite Ps4 exclusive was Infamous Second Son. My favorite Xbox One exclusive was Sunset Overdrive.

However, the best next generation experience was not even a full game, it was a demo, P.T. That was the first time I felt this could not be done on a previous console.

Sony is right "Greatness Awaits." It is definitely not here yet. I think 2015 is set to be the defining year for both systems with a new Batman, Metal Gear, and Uncharted. Hopefully, we will get some new IPs too.

I'm not disappointed, but I'm not super excited either. I guess these days, getting a launch console is just a bad idea and it will never be what it once was where the pool of exclusive titles was much higher.

I feel like in terms of games you can only get on PS4 or Xbox One, it's been a very weird start and when you start to check boxes - see what's also for 360, PS3, or PC, or Vita - there's not a lot of exclusive stuff on either console.

PS4's 2015 looks VERY promising for exclusives. I'm excited for Bloodborne and The Order 1886, and REALLY excited for Persona 5. But with that said, I'm also glad I have my Wii U, because 2015 for the Wii U looks incredible as well. MGSV is my most anticipated title overall - but it's multiplatform so it's kind of exempt in this discussion for me.

Top Bottom