• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

An Inside Look at Marvel’s Spider-Man

It's actually not a shitpost, just an observation of an obvious tendency.
But what he's saying is true. Whether that matters is up to the individual, but that doesn't legitimize the shitpost responses to it

I still need to play it to see whether the lack of blending between distinct actions is due to it being more responsive.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Good god. I'm a little disappointed at myself for not realizing that it came straight out of TASM2...Say what you will about the Amazing Spider-Man films, but the action and web-swinging in those films were the best. And TASM2's suit is the sexiest beast of all. Mmm.

And yeah, I'll have to agree about the animations. They do look fantastic, but the transition from one to another is a little too fast, making it look somewhat unnatural. Not a big complaint from me, but fixing that will definitely go a long way. If you can make an incredible looking game look even better, why not, right?
Genuinely fantastic stuff in those films. Spiderman felt way less floaty than in the original films. The bolded is why I don't understand the outright hostility, accusations of fanboyism, and intellectually dishonest arguments like "no one will notice anyway."

It's actually not a shitpost, just an observation of an obvious tendency.
Nah, it's classic gamer shitposting, "I'm not even gonna TRY to refute or acknowledge anything you say. B-b-b-because you're a fanboy anyway trololol." It adds nothing and you wasted everyone's time by posting that shit that was already shut down earlier. Get a grip and stop accusing me of having an agenda against Sony's exclusives. Period.

Y'all do know the animation stuff don't gotta take over the whole thread right? Idc I'm not posting against eden tho. That's what I hate about this place one conversation sticks and instead of trying to create a new one everybody dogpiles on that one topic. It's obvious animation is something he/she is going to bring up every thread idk if it's PS4 exclusive or not and idc let them do it start a new convo

The God

Good god. I'm a little disappointed at myself for not realizing that it came straight out of TASM2... Say what you will about the Amazing Spider-Man films, but the action and web-swinging in those films were the best. And TASM2's suit is the sexiest beast of all. Mmm.

I think it's a bigger deal than people realize. They're really scraping together the best of Spider-Man media and putting it into a game

diaspora

Genuinely fantastic stuff in those films. Spiderman felt way less floaty than in the original films. The bolded is why I don't understand the outright hostility, accusations of fanboyism, and intellectually dishonest arguments like "no one will notice anyway."

Nah, it's classic gamer shitposting, "I'm not even gonna TRY to refute or acknowledge anything you say. B-b-b-because you're a fanboy anyway trololol." It adds nothing and you wasted everyone's time by posting that shit that was already shut down earlier. Get a grip and stop accusing me of having an agenda against Sony's exclusives. Period.

The movement and choreography of ASM 1 and 2 are far and away better than Homecoming and at least rivals the OT. The script and editing though... D:

Ricky_R

I'm not even saying you're a fanboy, wonder why you said that... It's a fair observation that you clearly don't agree with and that's fine.

DeathPeak

Personally, still not a fan of the suit. Hoping you can change it at some point. Gives me an overalls vibe. Can't wait to see how some of the costumed villains look.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
brian intihar! awesome!

i really miss hearing from that era of game writers. greg k, jenn frank, jon davidson, shane. where my country gone??

ps game looks cool

Crossing Eden

The movement and choreography of ASM 1 and 2 are far and away better than Homecoming and at least rivals the OT. The script and editing though... D:
I'm so mad about how almost everything about the second film is bad because the first one had genuinely good ideas. Speaking of Homecoming Spiderman, I was actually watching a compilation of all his scenes in Civil War, (better be an option for that costume btw), another good way to showcase him reacting to a landing
xW08K1C.gif

over

JsiGo9Y.gif

^ the above is already halfway there truth be told

I'm not even saying you're a fanboy, wonder why you said that... It's a fair observation that you clearly don't agree with and that's fine.
Because you're literally not the first person ITT to come in with that sort of shitposting and the implication is quite clear.

diaspora

Yeah, its going against the trend of the movies. Soon we'll have a 10 year old Spiderman on film.
I've always found the teen era of Spider-Man including the Ultimate stuff to be a universal turd barring the time where he died.
I'm so mad about how almost everything about the second film is bad because the first one had genuinely good ideas. Speaking of Homecoming Spiderman, I was actually watching a compilation of all his scenes in Civil War, (better be an option for that costume btw), another good way to showcase him reacting to a switch in momentum.
http://imgur.com/xW08K1C.gif[IMG]

over

[IMG]http://imgur.com/JsiGo9Y.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]
I mean, the transition could be smoother but I'm not against it being [B]short[/B].

Crossing Eden

I've always found the teen era of Spider-Man including the Ultimate stuff to be a universal turd barring the time where he died.

I mean, the transition could be smoother but I'm not against it being short.
It's short but very video gamey imho. Like very obviously switching between two static poses instead of transitioning naturally. It's something I hope they focus on during the polish phase. Hell, you could even shorten it as soon as the player makes an input but in the instance like in the gif where there's none Spiderman rises slowly. That's how it works in a lot of games this gen actually.

GLAMr

I don't really like the Spider-Man IP, and don't really dig Marvell in general (no shade, it's just not for me). But I'm hyped AF for this game. If they can deliver Arkham -style combat with those stunning graphics in a realistic open world New York (or is it just Manhattan? I'd settle for that; it's the best borough, come at me Staten /Brooklyn/Queens/Bronx people :p), I'm down. So long as they can get those parts right, I can overlook "floaty web-slinging", QTEs and clunky story scenes.

This video definitely made me a little more confident in the end product.

8byte

Banned
It's short but very video gamey imho. Like very obviously switching between two static poses instead of transitioning naturally. It's something I hope they focus on during the polish phase. Hell, you could even shorten it as soon as the player makes an input but in the instance like in the gif where there's none Spiderman rises slowly. That's how it works in a lot of games this gen actually.

Very video gamey...in a video game.

Hmmmmm....

Sorry, but I honesty believe anyone making these comments in GAF should know better. It's very clearly a short transition because they want snappy responsive controls. This is literally the norm for games with snappy gameplay.

Sorry this video game isn't cinematic enough, I guess? I'll take responsive play.

Crossing Eden

Very video gamey...in a video game.
Hmmmmm....

Sorry, but I honesty believe anyone making these comments in GAF should know better. It's very clearly a short transition because they want snappy responsive controls. This is literally the norm for games with snappy gameplay.

Sorry this video game isn't cinematic enough, I guess? I'll take responsive play.
The game very specifically is trying to look incredibly realistic and like the films right down to straight up referencing the animations from the films. And like I said before, none of the things I suggested would take away from the responsiveness of the character. They would just result in better character animation that doesn't just look good in isolation.

Spinluck

Agreed, they've got a fantastic set of animations but non existent/ very little blending between them compared to something like the Arkham games, reminds me of the earlier spiderman games.

It kind of works for a comic style game, it would work perfectly if they added bam, splat etc in pop ups boxes. But I wouldn't mind some smoother transitions, provided we don't get to witcher 3 territory where animations take priority over input.

None of the animations in the Arkham games match these.

Stiler

Looking great so far.

Just hope they can tune the web swinging animation more so that he builds up (and loses) momentum as he goes in/out of swinging depending on where you attach and let go while moving. Right now it seems weird cause it's like one-speed only regardless of when/where you are at during the swinging, which is weird looking.

Also hopefully they let you switch costumes. I am not a fan of the white spider at all, give me a smaller black spider, the white just doesn't blend/look right at all to me.

bunkitz

Genuinely fantastic stuff in those films. Spider-Man felt way less floaty than in the original films. The bolded is why I don't understand the outright hostility, accusations of fanboyism, and intellectually dishonest arguments like "no one will notice anyway."
Agreed. Seeing the emphasis on Spider-Man's agility was downright cathartic.

I think the reason behind it is that some people are already quite invested in the game and so they want to believe that it'll be absolutely amazing already. They've formed an attachment to it and don't want to think that their investment was falsely made or that there are some things wrong about it. When you're thinking like that, it's easier to just go with the flow and keep praising the content you see, as opposed to criticizing it for what little flaws it may have. I love Spider-Man more than most things in the world, he is my all-time favorite character in any medium, so more than just wanting the game to be amazing, I want Insomniac to be pushed further and further so that they can truly make the best Spider-Man game ever. I know they can do it, so I'm willing to find the faults and acknowledge them, criticize them, in what they show us.

I think it's a bigger deal than people realize. They're really scraping together the best of Spider-Man media and putting it into a game
Yeah, you're right. I didn't think about it that way before, and it's really exciting to think so. Thanks for saying that!

Although... there is one thing, that they didn't get the best of from Spider-Man media. *whispers* Josh Keaton. *whispers* Yuri Lowenthal's doing a great job, and he really is a good fit for Spidey, but come on, Josh Keaton. Alas, this won't change, so I've made my peace with it. Mostly.

I'm so mad about how almost everything about the second film is bad because the first one had genuinely good ideas. Speaking of Homecoming Spider-Man, I was actually watching a compilation of all his scenes in Civil War, (better be an option for that costume btw), another good way to showcase him reacting to a landing
xW08K1C.gif

over

JsiGo9Y.gif

^ the above is already halfway there truth be told

Because you're literally not the first person ITT to come in with that sort of shitposting and the implication is quite clear.
Oof. Yeah... That, that doesn't look too good. It's not so bad either, though. It can be overlooked and it won't really be detrimental to the overall experience, but it would be a real shame if this ends up in the final product. As I've said, if they can make it better--and I know damn well they can--then please make it better.

Looking great so far.

Just hope they can tune the web swinging animation more so that he builds up (and loses) momentum as he goes in/out of swinging depending on where you attach and let go while moving. Right now it seems weird cause it's like one-speed only regardless of when/where you are at during the swinging, which is weird looking.

Also hopefully they let you switch costumes. I am not a fan of the white spider at all, give me a smaller black spider, the white just doesn't blend/look right at all to me.
Already confirmed.

Crossing Eden

I think the reason behind it is that some people are already quite invested in the game and so they want to believe that it'll be absolutely amazing already. They've formed an attachment to it and don't want to think that their investment was falsely made or that there are some things wrong about it. When you're thinking like that, it's easier to just go with the flow and keep praising the content you see, as opposed to criticizing it for what little flaws it may have. I love Spider-Man more than most things in the world, he is my all-time favorite character in any medium, so more than just wanting the game to be amazing, I want Insomniac to be pushed further and further so that they can truly make the best Spider-Man game ever. I know they can do it, so I'm willing to find the faults and acknowledge them, criticize them, in what they show us.

Oof. Yeah... That, that doesn't look too good. It's not so bad either, though. It can be overlooked and it won't really be detrimental to the overall experience, but it would be a real shame if this ends up in the final product. As I've said, if they can make it better--and I know damn well they can--then please make it better.
Basically.

Yeah, you're right. I didn't think about it that way before, and it's really exciting to think so. Thanks for saying that!

Or that some people simply feel strongly against false comparisons and downright rediculous nitpicking.

E3 thread was derailed with all the QTE moaning, and this one seems to be going down the same road with all the animation blend in talk and unrealistic expectations.

Or that some people simply feel strongly against false comparisons and downright rediculous nitpicking.

E3 thread was derailed with all the QTE talk, and this one seems to be going down the same road with all the animation blend in and expectations.

But the nitpicking is why they fixed the speed. I mean damn, if no one says shit, nothing gets done. That's why forums and opinions exist. This is why devs don't just hide behind lead doors. They hear and read posts, then make the experience better.

I mean, it isn't like the game is coming out in a few months. It is a work in progress that will be coming out next year. For me, it isn't that those issues don't matter or that I am overlooking them. It is that what we are seeing is nowhere near finished. Once we get closer to release and have a better understanding of what we are getting, that is when these type of discussions will be more meaningful. A single month of development could theoretically get rid of half these issues.

Basically, an unfinished game is unfinished. News at 11.

Edit - And while I am sure message boards and what not aid in development, I am also pretty sure they are (mostly) aware of what they need to work on as well.

PR_rambo

Banned
IF YOU'RE READING THIS INSOMNIAC, THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IS MARY JANE, SHOW IS MARY JANE.

List of Top Priority goes: Faster Swing Speed>>show us Mary Jane Watson

But the nitpicking is why they fixed the speed. I mean damn, if no one says shit, nothing gets done. That's why forums and opinions exist. This is why devs don't just hid behind lead doors. They hear and read posts and make the experience better.

You mean to say that IG has improved the overall speed or are we just assuming from the alternative footage?

IG did say (last month) that web swinging speed is skill based.

Edit - And while I am sure message boards and what not aid in development, I am also pretty sure they are (mostly) aware of what they need to work on as well.

This.

Oh man, those little snippets look so good.

After watching Homecoming, I have to say I feel rather spoiled by the diversity of the cast. I hope the cast for this game is at least somewhat diverse too.

23, "older" lol

That's cool though, I didn't like how homecoming went back to teen status.

This essentially. I was happy when Sony just said okay let's join forces with Marvel, but immediately got upset that it's yet another take on his teenage years, while fanboying the Avengers and being green as heck.

My favorite parts of Spider-Man are once he's out of high school, struggling through university, working at the labs/JJ, making ends meets, juggling the friends and girls of his life, being a loner and a very capable superhero with his own insecurities. I'm glad that's what Insomniac are focusing on, unlike the movies. No hate towards Marvel or Sony, as its clear that the demographic they are targeting and the younger audience love it, but Spidey was never exclusively a teenager either.

Also the best Spider-Man game is still Spider-Man 2, closely followed by Ultimate Spider-Man and Spider-Man 2000. Web of Shadows is garbage, seriously those moral choices, combat system and horrible voice acting can just die in a dumpster fire.

Best wishes.

Crossing Eden

E3 thread was derailed with all the QTE moaning, and this one seems to be going down the same road with all the animation blend in talk and unrealistic expectations.
It not even nitpicking. Nor is anything I talked about even remotely unrealistic considering the state of animation among top budget games. Why're people in this thread being so disingenuous about critique? "Unrealistic." Slight animation changes that are incredibly commonplace in triple A games is what's considered "unrealistic" now?

hTmS6L7.gif

His movement looks like it's straight out of the fucking movies. Insomniac is doing an incredible job.

Incredible how far graphics and animations have come along that a high budget AAA Spider-Man game from Sony could rival the CGI animation work their movie studios produced for The Amazing Spider-Man 2.

I'm really happy with Insomniac's work thus far. I initially thought not having Sucker Punch would be a sin, but this is looking more and more exciting each and every time I see it.

Best wishes.

Top Bottom